• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
thanks, i commented a bit in your HoI3 thread (just had a quick look at UK and CZE) - maybe delete a few of the british fakes (they have usually comments in my leaders CSVs, for example Adm. Woodward).

I saw that and responded there but not sure if you'll see it so will ask here too.

I couldn't find Admiral Woodward anywhere in the file, what id number was he? I did find maybe 10 or so other fakes that didn't get deleted though, so thanks much for mentioning it.

The Czech leaders in the British file you mentioned I think are actually Free Polish guys that served under the British.

If you haven't, you might want to check out the French file, there's a few guys/pics in there that I don't think you've added yet.

Hi Lukas,
Sandy Woodward is L1408 as far as i remember.

the CZE leaders have CZE uniforms? i spotted at least 15 people with czech uniforms (mostly at the bottom of the file L18023, .. etc; poles start with L1493, .. etc)

L1444, L1445 and a few others are definately fakes from here http://glosters.tripod.com/memindex3.htm

L1448 shows an american (at least his hat). sorry i dont rememeber everything but i usually leave some comments in the CSVs when i replace people)

EDIT: PM should work now, was full again
and here's a new one for france: http://www.generals.dk/general/Barazer_de_Lannurien/Émile-Marie-Hyacinthe/France.html

Last edited:
Oh, ok, you're talking about pics, not the files, makes more sense to me now.

I simply included the original paradox pic files for anyone I haven't found a pic for. That way I can just copy everything from my folders when I create the download. I figure it doesn't hurt anything since if I don't include the pics nothing will overwrite them on your end they'll still be there in your portraits folder even after you install the file. Does that make sense?

Maybe I should make up a generic no pic available portrait for some of the people I still haven't found pics for... That's probably the way to go. That and change the portrait reference in the file so it doesn't link to the wrong pic. I'm not sure why I haven't done this already.

Figured out the Czech thing too, they were mistakenly included when I copied pics and zipped the file. I noticed that a while ago I've since deleted them from my source files. So when you mentioned it I didn't see them in my files and forgot what had happened. Thanks for mentioning it.

Sweet link, I love it when I can get French generals with the gold leaf chapeau (dunno the accurate name for the ornate French generals hat).

Last edited:
well if you cant find him and no other modder cant find him - thats a strong hint for fake leaders.

i'm sorry to say that i found a bogus one in my files as well (mis - ID'd Alfred Erhard):
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14230&start=4290 (bottom of page)
http://www.geocities.com/~orion47/WEHRMACHT/LUFTWAFFE/Generalmajor/ERHARD_ALFRED.html
http://thirdreichcolorpictures.blogspot.de/2011/09/generalmajor-alfred-erhard.html

(those blogs which aim for colour only are an unreliable source anyway, i should have known) - i'll add Erhard in the next version or replace him.

well if you cant find him and no other modder cant find him - thats a strong hint for fake leaders.

You're right of course, should have explained further. Most of these guys were deleted by me from the leaders file, it's that the ones I didn't overwrite with new leaders but just deleted still have the old pics left in the pic archive. So f.e. L1408 still exists as a pic but there's no leader with the 1408 id in the file itself. Plus sometimes the new (without a doubt historical) leaders I added using a given id didn't have pics I could find and so the Paradox pics never got overwritten.

That being said I've been checking and found there were about 15 or so fakes that were somehow left, plus a couple places where the new pics never got added to overwrite the old. L1448 f.e. is a new historical (cold war era) leader, Air Marshal Sir Rochford Hughes. Somehow his pic never got added so I had that silly American pic there. I'm glad you mentioned it since I've been able to clean up quite a bit.

All of this would of course have been avoided have I just done what you do and rename the pics with the leaders name and not the L1408 etc names. Perhaps I should start doing that in the future. It's more work but more accurate.

so the one with the moustache is Petiet (movie?) - i doubt there will be a new version anytime soon as i just returned from portugal and will work in some schools in rural germany in september, only just that this is not forgotten.
Nope, the general in the movie is BG Henri Méric de Bellefon.
Hope you enjoyed your holidays in Portugal (not too warmly there?), and also that 'rural Germany' has Internet connections!!:laugh:

No idea alas, but very interesting thread anyways!

i'm almost sure I found a slighty better pic of him a few months ago (perhaps on the ESG website)...

Do you remember of the book on the French aviation in Indochina about which I told you a few weeks ago?
I ordered it on Amazon and found, as expected, a few treasures inside: dozens of pics and colour profiles of all the aircrafts used in Indochina from 1910 to 1945, and of course pics of all the air commanders of the period! the scans are already done, so soon you'll get a few more generals for FRA (Raoul Augereau, Sylvestre Tavera, Maurice Martin, RA Jules Terreaux...)

lukasberger said:
All of this would of course have been avoided have I just done what you do and rename the pics with the leaders name and not the L1408 etc names. Perhaps I should start doing that in the future. It's more work but more accurate.
well its more work once, but after that everything is easier as you dont need additional lists anymore. i would say it saves you a lot of time in the long run and at the same time avoids mistakes. just at the point were you are - well thats a lot of work for sure with hundreds/thousands of images.

benden said:
Hope you enjoyed your holidays in Portugal (not too warmly there?), and also that 'rural Germany' has Internet connections!!
to be honest cologne is hotter atm (at least it feels so without wind and sea). as for connections yes of course, its just i'll carry my old laptop without any HoI-related stuff in it, so no pics during september.

Do you remember of the book on the French aviation in Indochina about which I told you a few weeks ago?
I ordered it on Amazon and found, as expected, a few treasures inside: dozens of pics and colour profiles of all the aircrafts used in Indochina from 1910 to 1945, and of course pics of all the air commanders of the period! the scans are already done, so soon you'll get a few more generals for FRA (Raoul Augereau, Sylvestre Tavera, Maurice Martin, RA Jules Terreaux...)
cant remember but sounds great anyway. hope i didnt forget how to paint.

Sweet link, I love it when I can get French generals with the gold leaf chapeau (dunno the accurate name for the ornate French generals hat).
it is called a kepi; but your description is really accurate for sure.

cant remember but sounds great anyway. hope i didnt forget how to paint.
Err, what? I humbly suggest you do a few homework during your stay in rural Germany so you'll not loose your talent in painting!!:)

cant copy the programe i use on another computer, i have only rights to use it on one (thats why it was so cheap iirc). but i can teach you in less than an hour if needed. so if you desparately need some politicians or other easy stuff you could do that yourself without the need to wait for me.

Never mind my friend, I'm not so desesperate! Moreover I'm not gifted nor patient enough for doing precision work such as colouring B&W pics! let's say I'm collecting reference material for your great return, okay?

By the way, what do you plan for your next release: more leaders/ministers (which countries if so), more ill pics or both?

leaders, actually. i would like to proceed with USA/SOV/ENG and maybe JAP. if i find some cool images for ills than these, but no intention to make hundreds atm.

meanwhile i spammed the bug report section of DH, i think that devs looking at these remarks, maybe some additions from you as well?

as for painting its ok.

as for that movie:

minute 6:12 / 6:32 is Henri Méric de Bellefon (with moustache)

and who is the other general in 6:26 who gives him that order? - or do i confuse it again?

oh, and in response to this offer:
let's say I'm collecting reference material for your great return, okay?

SOV navy
CHI navy
CHI air force
ENG navy
JAP army
ITA navy
pretty plese :D
seriously these are difficult things to get (esp CHI air force and navy), but just in case you feel like googling

Last edited:
leaders, actually. i would like to proceed with USA/SOV/ENG and maybe JAP. if i find some cool images for ills than these, but no intention to make hundreds atm.
In my humble opinion (again) I think that you should give your personal touch only to some rare and unique images such as the soviet marines with Thompson SMGs...

meanwhile i spammed the bug report section of DH, i think that devs looking at these remarks, maybe some additions from you as well?
yes, I just read all your posts and of course, the DH files need a lot of cleaning for sure! but at least the lead Dev agrees with you on this, good!

as for painting its ok.
Hurrah!! do you want to give a look at my last scans and pictures collected (without text files for now)? again with an emphasis on Indochina, sorry!

as for that movie:

minute 6:12 / 6:32 is Henri Méric de Bellefon (with moustache)

and who is the other general in 6:26 who gives him that order? - or do i confuse it again?
Right for Méric de Bellefon (moustache yes!), and still searching who can be the other general...

oh, and in response to this offer:

SOV navy
CHI navy
CHI air force
ENG navy
JAP army
ITA navy
pretty plese :D
seriously these are difficult things to get (esp CHI air force and navy), but just in case you feel like googling
Oh my...well thank you very much for the task:eek:
But, who know, sometimes great find can be done purely by chance...

By the way, I think my next purchase could be this.
One of my favorite: http://www.ecpad.fr/journal-de-guerre-7-semaine-du-11-novembre-1939#more-2192
(with Joséphine Baker, Maurice Chevalier and French five stars generals, at 14'49": Bourret, Requin, Gamelin, Huntzinger and Prételat)

benden said:
In my humble opinion (again) I think that you should give your personal touch only to some rare and unique images such as the soviet marines with Thompson SMGs...
well, its not like the leaders, i wont paint everything. they were so many because i had a lot (side effects of leader hunting) and thought they should be released. but if every release contains so many ills than this will reduce the amount of leaders i can do, and those matter more to me.

nevertheless i liked this one as well ;):

(i admit i have to many MG teams but there isnt much for FRA - note camo-Bersaglieri wannabes)

benden said:
yes, I just read all your posts and of course, the DH files need a lot of cleaning for sure! but at least the lead Dev agrees with you on this, good!
well, personally i shouldnt care that much as i use my stuff almost exclusively, only i hate the idea that HoI6 will be out with the lineup of HoI1..

benden said:
Hurrah!! do you want to give a look at my last scans and pictures collected (without text files for now)? again with an emphasis on Indochina, sorry!
well ok keep them coming but i cant promise everything. IDC is not my top priority. in fact it would would be cool if you release at least something which is loadable so i can have a look at it.
but if JAP and CHI play a role in this announced mod i'm interested.

benden said:
Right for Méric de Bellefon (moustache yes!),
ok i think thats working with the movie.

Oh my...well thank you very much for the task
But, who know, sometimes great find can be done purely by chance
well i dont expect anything as i know these things are hard to get. maybe look at Fabfeingolds packages for DH. some of the content was good iirc. but no hurry and its no must. i just wanted to point out the needed branches.

benden said:
By the way, I think my next purchase could be this.
One of my favorite: http://www.ecpad.fr/journal-de-guerr...1939#more-2192
(with Joséphine Baker, Maurice Chevalier and French five stars generals, at 14'49": Bourret, Requin, Gamelin, Huntzinger and Prételat)
nice. a shame that the horses move so fast otherwise i would have tried.

nevertheless i liked this one as well ;):

(i admit i have to many MG teams but there isnt much for FRA - note camo-Bersaglieri wannabes)
I love it too, they look great!

well ok keep them coming but i cant promise everything. IDC is not my top priority. in fact it would would be cool if you release at least something which is loadable so i can have a look at it.
but if JAP and CHI play a role in this announced mod i'm interested.
You're right, IDC is still quite a minor player in the various existing mods and even with mine (more historical) done, it will be more playable but still with a minor impact in a global conflict, that it is committed to the side of Japan or the Allies...
More interesting for you is that some of the IDC leaders can also be used for FRA and VIC!
Many events and event chains are planned for IDC, FRA, VIC, JAP and a few for SIA and CHI such as 'Haiphong Harbour' (similar to Burma Road, once JAP has captured all the ports of China the war supplies are ferried from Haiphong to Kunming, until Japan demand the closure of the Yunnan railroad and the cession of the supplies)...
Pics package here

nice. a shame that the horses move so fast otherwise i would have tried.
I'm pretty sure the DVDs have more movies with french cavalry at a slower pace.

if its about events (chains) you ay want to have a look at the event pics i made. some are new (ie there are no events in vanilla games) but the pic should be more or less self explaing

(eg estado novo for BRA becoming a dictatorship http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estado_Novo_(Brazil) or Talvisodan henki for FIN http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_of_the_Winter_War )
the foundation of SMERSH and the Kosaken cav for GER could be added as well (just no evt pic for SMERSH)

EDIT:
maybe improtant for you, DH changes the leaders CSV a bit in 1.03, an additional date is added.

Name;ID;Country;Rank 3 Year;Rank 2 Year;Rank 1 Year;Rank 0 Year;Ideal Rank;Max Skill;Traits;Skill;Experience;Loyalty;Type;Picture;Start Year;End Year;Retirement Year;x
Abraham;1;GER;1943;1944;1990;1990;3;5;0;2;0;5;0;L1;1943;1960;1960;x
Allmendinger;2;GER;1940;1943;1990;1990;3;6;0;2;0;5;0;L2;1940;1945;1945;x
maybe ask the Devs if old CSVs are still compatible (i would expect this but better clear this up befor investing to much work)

and thanks a lot for the scans!

EDIT2:
btw re: soviet marines you're plain wrong (as i play a bit atm): the painting of the german FW 200c is way better (TBH i dont like the result of the soviet pic a lot)

EDIT3:
you're the driver of your own mod, just some questions/remarks

maybe split vietminh and colonials in two? - no idea how you organize this but it would make sure that Giap and Tassigny arent brothers in arms.
as for the japanese i wouldnt even include them (always fear that JAP looses leaders to MEN, MAN and now IDC)
as for air leaders - if they#re not ministers - i doubt you'll need that many as air leaders never get killed in combat

but i've never seen this ingame, these are only questions which come up when looking at the files

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazumoto_Machijiri is he included?

Last edited:
if its about events (chains) you ay want to have a look at the event pics i made. some are new (ie there are no events in vanilla games) but the pic should be more or less self explaing

(eg estado novo for BRA becoming a dictatorship http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estado_Novo_(Brazil) or Talvisodan henki for FIN http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_of_the_Winter_War )
the foundation of SMERSH and the Kosaken cav for GER could be added as well (just no evt pic for SMERSH)
Well, I missed your event pics at first, so thank you for the reminder! waow, cool as always! please make more of them when you are inspired!

EDIT:
maybe improtant for you, DH changes the leaders CSV a bit in 1.03, an additional date is added.
Thx for the preview, I guess the death date is checked for leader availability in a scenario and the retirement date automatically remove him from the game when the year is reached, right?

and thanks a lot for the scans!
You're welcome!

EDIT2:
btw re: soviet marines you're plain wrong (as i play a bit atm): the painting of the german FW 200c is way better (TBH i dont like the result of the soviet pic a lot)
Of course, the FW 200c looks cool too; btw I am making compatible your ill pics for DH, renaming them with the right model numbers. They look great in game!

EDIT3:
you're the driver of your own mod, just some questions/remarks
please don't hesitate for this, any advice is welcome (moreover as the mod is not fully written nor tested)!

maybe split vietminh and colonials in two? - no idea how you organize this but it would make sure that Giap and Tassigny arent brothers in arms.
Well, Giap was made leader of the Vietnam Popular Army in 1944 and his guerillas, with OSS and French support, made a few attacks on the japanese occupiers (few since the main force was kept for the upcoming struggle against the returning French!); He is included in the case of a alliance with the French and Allies against the japanese invaders, but he would slept in the case Democratic Vietnam is created and then he would fight against de Lattre and France. Remember Uncle Ho was very clever and that he used first the Americans in late 1945 to proclaim the creation of Democratic Vietnam against the Frenchs, then in 1946 the Frenchs against the Chineses who were occupying and looting the Tonkin!!

as for the japanese i wouldnt even include them (always fear that JAP looses leaders to MEN, MAN and now IDC)
No JAP leaders for IDC but some ministers added in the case of a Japanese-ruled Indochina if the French are overthrown (if low relationship levels, depending on the choices made earlier); three options for Japan in this case: keep Indochina as a military-ruled puppet (with a japanese governor general), annex IDC to the Empire or release Imperial Vietnam and the Kingdoms of Cambodia and Laos as puppets!
See attached text for the various governements (still uncomplete of course) planned for the mod.

as for air leaders - if they#re not ministers - i doubt you'll need that many as air leaders never get killed in combat
Well, I intended at first to include only the commander in charge of the Indochina Aviation (usually a colonel), both as Chief of Air Force and as an air leader; but for Vichy era, a few more commanders could be added as historically the air force there (less than 100 aircrafts in 1940) should have been reinforced after the Fall of France with more fighters (MS 406s, Koolhoven FK-58s, Curtiss H-75s or P-40s) and bombers (Douglas DB-7s) released from Metropolitan France or directly bought from the USA, also collaborationist general Tavera requested once from his japanese counterpart some aircrafts to replace the MS 406s which ran out of spare parts!! in my planned mod, Indochina could take a more active role in the Pacific War, either as joining Free France and/or the Allies, or as an Axis member or a Japanese puppet!

And, you know, there is at least a mod (PoS) where your air leaders could be killed if the wings they command are wiped out!

Well, thank you very much for the suggestion; of course he should be included too as head of Government, Chief of Staff and Chief of Army (I found his B&W pic in your Japan Improved pack!); btw do you know who were the Indochina Garrison Army's air force and naval commanders in 1944-1945?? I found once a pic of an admiral Kondo (which one?) surrendering to the British in Saigon.

Attachments

• IDC govs.txt
    4,1 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Well, thank you very much for the suggestion; of course he should be included too as head of Government, Chief of Staff and Chief of Army (I found his B&W pic in your Japan Improved pack!); btw do you know who were the Indochina Garrison Army's air force and naval commanders in 1944-1945?? I found once a pic of an admiral Kondo (which one?) surrendering to the British in Saigon.
no idea who was there (IDC). as for Kondo i only know Kondo Nobutake http://www.battlesforguadalcanal.com/Leaders/Japanese/Kondo/kondo.html
but there are many more http://homepage2.nifty.com/nishidah/e/p_xa3.htm#1 (probably class 40 upwards) you can look each person up there and note down his class. then you can use the japanese version of the same site http://homepage2.nifty.com/nishidah/p_index.htm and search for him in the class - the officers there have both latin and japanese letters. google with these japanese letters then and sometimes you find something.

otherwise open a thread at AHF, people will help you there (i was once asking for a plane drawing for Titans icons, 3 days later i received an email with this plane - which couldnt be found online - scanned as attachment - so its definately worth asking there)

Of course, the FW 200c looks cool too; btw I am making compatible your ill pics for DH, renaming them with the right model numbers. They look great in game!
they could look pixely on higher resolutions. just as a side effect of those ills i have some new tech pics as well now (at least for the advanced close support plane Ill_div_ger_17_2 )

Thx for the preview, I guess the death date is checked for leader availability in a scenario and the retirement date automatically remove him from the game when the year is reached, right?
yes i think so.

EDIT: dang i'm sleeping! yes very likely Kondo Nobutake, source: IWM collection occupation of IDC - that wiki link even gave the source and i overlooked it completely.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205208387
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?filter[makerString][0]="Modd, L (Sergeant)"&query=
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/s..., French Indo-China, Second World War"&query=

as for JAP-IDC air force no real idea, just maybe maybe Sugawara Michio or 3rd IJA Air Army guys

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/第3航空軍_(日本軍)
http://www.generals.dk/general/Sugawara/Michio/Japan.html
http://axishistory.com/index.php?id=7323
http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/S/u/Sugawara_Michio.htm
http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/oob/jap.php?unit=3_Air_Army#3_Air_Army

as for JAP-IDC navy and naval air force maybe here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Area_Fleet
http://axishistory.com/index.php?id=7733

+ VIetnam pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34015100@N02/page4/

Last edited:
otherwise open a thread at AHF, people will help you there (i was once asking for a plane drawing for Titans icons, 3 days later i received an email with this plane - which couldnt be found online - scanned as attachment - so its definately worth asking there)
Good idea, I'll do it soon.

EDIT: dang i'm sleeping! yes very likely Kondo Nobutake, source: IWM collection occupation of IDC - that wiki link even gave the source and i overlooked it completely.
Well, maybe Nobutake, but his bio said "Kondo surrendered his sword to a British naval officer aboard the HMS Waveney in December 1945"; the problem is that the Japs in South Indochina surrendered to general Gracey in september or october 1945...

as for JAP-IDC air force no real idea, just maybe maybe Sugawara Michio or 3rd IJA Air Army guys

as for JAP-IDC navy and naval air force maybe here:
Very interesting links, thanks for the help!

Yes, I found this gallery too a few weeks ago (I didn't report it to you since it's only for Indochina); some of the pics there are quite interesting (at least for me!): what do you think of the Hoa Hao shock troops for example?

benden said:
Well, maybe Nobutake, but his bio said "Kondo surrendered his sword to a British naval officer aboard the HMS Waveney in December 1945"; the problem is that the Japs in South Indochina surrendered to general Gracey in september or october 1945...
maybe its just wrong. surrendering in december is a bit very late i'd say.

there's a movie at IWM which mentions Gracey and Kondo Nobutake (at the same time "rear admiral Kondo)
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060033372

on the lower right Kondo Nobutake is mentioned as associated person - but no proof and no idea.

benden said:
Yes, I found this gallery too a few weeks ago (I didn't report it to you since it's only for Indochina); some of the pics there are quite interesting (at least for me!): what do you think of the Hoa Hao shock troops for example?

this is a strong one:

well were those girls fighting in divisional size? pics look cool, though. reminds me of general Piera Gatteschi Fondelli and her RSI girls http://forum.axishistory.com/download/file.php?id=42824

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt4XXbWs8kA 9:30 ;)

Last edited:
on the lower right Kondo Nobutake is mentioned as associated person - but no proof and no idea.
Well, another proof of his presence in Saigon in the The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia; "In the immediate postwar period, he operated under the British against Viet Minh guerrillas in French Indochina."

this is a strong one:

well were those girls fighting in divisional size? pics look cool, though.
I read somewhere there were about 2000 such women organized in battalions-sized units. Maybe a possible event-activated specific Elite Militia unit for my mod?:laugh:

Don't you think that those Italian girls were more similar to the famous German Wehrmacht grey mouses than to the ferocious Hoa Hao warrior-nuns, do you? btw do you plan to make someday a colour pic of MAN's leader/minister Kawashima Yoshiko? I find this girl's fate truly fascinating!

Even funnier in full color! those Der Krieg (Apocalypse in French) DVDs are a must for screen captures indeed!