• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
added a little fix for a confusion between

Helge Auleb - Hermann Geyer

and

Karl Graf - August Nißl

(sorry these were more or less accpted pics, mis ID just turned out recently)

first post this thread.

Last edited:
Hi, I also colored some twenty pictures using Photo Explosion. I also found some neat ones on the internet (in color) of tanks and men for the unit pictures. However, when I paste them in gfx, they look black and white in game. Funny thing is, GIP color pictures look colorful! Is there a black and white palette in the gfx folder I should change?

dont get this. they should be 36/50 pixels, bmp and 5,32 KB thats it. no palette, maybe up your pics and i can tell more.

How do I post my pictures to this forum? I tried copy paste, but it didn't work.

Edit: it is 5.32 KB, when .bmp. When I saved it as JPEG, it is 4.43 and grayscale. Why?

Last edited:
I'll try later. Are your colorized bmp pictures grayscale in jpg form? I tried expiring them as jpg but they appear to be grayscale. Even color pics off the Internet look b&w in game.

Edit: will your photos work with GIP? I didn't install any new leaders/ ministers that's why I ask.

i inserted CSVs for that as the pics are only a peart of the mod. without the CSVs the pics are useless.
jpgs dont work ingame only bmp

I used .bmp, but for example, I colored a photo of Kanin Kotohito (L101077). I renamed it to L101077, sized 36x50, 5.32KB, copy,
paste it into Program Files>gfx>pics etc. and it appears in game as black and white, with some spots totally black.

Test: Go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Admiral_Hipper_19_May_1945.jpg
; if you have a photo editor, please resize it to 96x96, rename T1, paste into gfx, and let me know if it is in color for you.

!!!: Export it as .bmp, sorry, almost forgot!

Last edited:
not that much new but a lot of CSV work - usually ideal rank (Wilhelm Berlin start date still wrong). Raeder was changed and Klepke, RAF and USAAF a bit, Monsieur Chadebec de Lavalade had to leave brazil and turkish Pashas out. a new japanese and one japanese admiral less again. a new soviet admiral, etc.
i have a working death date now and can tell who needs what in which year (ie added 10 british admirals while removed some generals). two nice province pics of Leningrad during war and Kharkov shortly before the germans came.
btw generals.dk had an upgrade.

benden said:
P.S.: Conrad Helfrich's pic in Indonesia is JPEG!
that is strange as it should be a direct copy from HOL? TT Helfrich should be a pretty submariner, like Angelo Parone in ITA.
wiki said:
His small force of submarines sank more Japanese ships in the first weeks of the war than the entire British and US navies together, an exploit which earned him the nickname "Ship-a-day Helfrich"
Govt Code and Cypher School (AKA Betchley Park) as replacement for Alan Turing (UK)
well its not that much this time, i need time for testing right now

well and thanks for stopping by, doesnt happen too often these days.

MaxxCombat said:
I used .bmp, but for example, I colored a photo of Kanin Kotohito (L101077). I renamed it to L101077, sized 36x50, 5.32KB, copy,
paste it into Program Files>gfx>pics etc. and it appears in game as black and white, with some spots totally black.

Test: Go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ad...9_May_1945.jpg
; if you have a photo editor, please resize it to 96x96, rename T1, paste into gfx, and let me know if it is in color for you.

!!!: Export it as .bmp, sorry, almost forgot!
well cant say its always working as benden spotted a mistake but in most cases i know how these things are done lol. so whats the deal with the link?
if you need help upload your stuff please.

If I download your expansion pack, will My saved game still work? If it will I can restart too, but it would be cool to continue with new stuff. Thanks for the help by the way. :)

Edit: isn't ideal leader rank broken?

MaxxCombat said:
Edit: isn't ideal leader rank broken?
dang, i hope not? http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi2wiki/index.php/Modding_leader_files#Ideal_Rank

Maxxcombat said:
If I download your expansion pack, will My saved game still work? If it will I can restart too, but it would be cool to continue with new stuff. Thanks for the help by the way.
ok now it gets complicated. i used AoD as a base and this game comes with its own pics (in parts). these are not in Arma, but still a few CSVs should work.

eg extract the whole thing on your desctop.
take the german leaders CSV and put it in the right place. this is fully covered and you can savely copy all pics in it. if you want you can copy the dormant leaders and the austrian anschluss event as well.
the ministers require a few pics from AoD, but if you play germany yourself you dont need them as all people showing up ingame are covered.

USA, SOV, FRA, ENG, AST, TUR, BRA, CHI should all work.
for JAP you need the japanese imrovement project (see sig), for ROM as well.

FIN, BUL, CRO, ITA, HUN, TIB will only work with AoD. the rest should work in Arma -just make sure to copy the Anschluss, vichy and soviet purges events in the right place. technically it will do without (just different people will be dormant and woken up in this case).

Thanks so much bestmajor! I am gonna use yours along with GIP.... so cool!!!!! But I don't haev AoD just Doomsday 1.2 modded by me :) I will follow your instructins though.

EDIT: I was gonna get Japan improvement anyways, but it WAS black and white. Now, well, it looks pretty solid.

EDIT2: What's wrong with my picture? http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2619/l101077.png

EDIT3: Sorry, don't want to spam you with posts. It is Kanin Kotohito, leader picture number L101077; He is a Japanese General.

Last edited:
no idea about your pic. it was coloured but 2.81 KB which means B/W. first time i spotted this. i opened it in Paint and saved as 24 Bit bmp. now the result is 5.32KB and i would expect it to work.

as for Japan improved: just take the pics, the project is continued in the colour pics project.
so pics of Japan improved + coloured japan pics + CSV from "colour pics" should give you at least a few colour pics for Japan.

apologies for the complicated install process but the colour pics is more a research project than a painting thing. and i'm only one person :).

EDIT:
EDIT3: Sorry, don't want to spam you with posts. It is Kanin Kotohito, leader picture number L101077; He is a Japanese General.
yes i know him quite well, see JAP here:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-in-Colour&p=12815792&viewfull=1#post12815792
+ Skins
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?556653-Skins!&p=12776644&viewfull=1#post12776644

Last edited:
Woah! Thank-you so much! I must have saved them as 256 bit .bmp. My photo EDITOR only has that option. When I opened it in paint and resaved to 24-bit, it worked! I was wondering why!

Oh, do you need any help with anything? I'm not the best (you probably laughed at my picture), but if you want I can make some and post on my imageshack if you want. Let me know if there is a country you need!

no help needed, but thanks for the offer.
i didnt laugh at our picture, its just i would like to stay independent.

@Maxx: just find a little country to start with (and where you can find orinial uniforms - Australia is cool for starters, IMO as there are not that many buttons etc).

ok i added a little addon on v26, called v26b (almost only UK admirals)

Great pictures bestmajor.
I just started adding them to my game.
Will you be doing anymore?
I am particularly interested in the Tech tree pictures.
Thanks again for the download.