Closed Thread
Page 41 of 154 FirstFirst ... 16 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 66 91 116 141 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 820 of 3064

Thread: Questions to the Developers

  1. #801
    Quote Originally Posted by Delex View Post
    Thats impassible to achieve and you know it, especially in MM. I tired it. Even if you get the ALL the modifiers together, you simply get some fail event and its as you have done nothing. Changing a culture in MM would probably result in a system crash . Changing cultures in the timeline of MM was way easier then this.

    Especially the following is not understandable:...
    I'm not sure I understand your post, but the approach taken in the game is going to allow for a multi-cultural state (ie the OE) to function a lot more historically then it does so in the Mod.

    Instead of the "Melting-Pot" concept of assimilation, the approach is more akin to the "Salad-Bowl" image, where each existing culture is separate, but taken together as a whole they are stronger overall.

    There will be migration decisions that will affect your nation from the very beginning - the bigger you are the more profound they are.

  2. #802
    Banned Delex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    4,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolotaya View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your post, but the approach taken in the game is going to allow for a multi-cultural state (ie the OE) to function a lot more historically then it does so in the Mod.

    Instead of the "Melting-Pot" concept of assimilation, the approach is more akin to the "Salad-Bowl" image, where each existing culture is separate, but taken together as a whole they are stronger overall.

    There will be migration decisions that will affect your nation from the very beginning - the bigger you are the more profound they are.
    The whole point is that culutral assimilations did happen, which are impossible to achieve in MM. There are 2 types of assimilations (Which can be legally simulated in the game).

    One is the settlement where you settle provinces which have a too low population.

    Second are cultures in the same culture group assimilations in which a culture assimilates to the mainstream culture like Occatian into Cosmopolitaine (Without you actually having to do something, except not granting autonomy).

    MM makes no effort to simulate either of those. In the real world between 1399-1821 (Games time line), over 50 provinces change their culture, in MM not even one does that. And yea a state is ALWAYS a melting pot (Enforcing Religious and cultural unity -especially in the games time line, today we have freedom of religion for example), if you don't agree with that give examples to counterfeit it. Because the more homogene the population is then bigger the chance is that the interests of the citizens of the state will be similar, which in turn increases unity, which increases the overall stability etc. etc...

  3. #803
    Quote Originally Posted by Delex View Post
    The whole point is that culutral assimilations did happen, which are impossible to achieve in MM. There are 2 types of assimilations (Which can be legally simulated in the game).

    One is the settlement where you settle provinces which have a too low population.

    Second are cultures in the same culture group assimilations in which a culture assimilates to the mainstream culture like Occatian into Cosmopolitaine (Without you actually having to do something, except not granting autonomy).

    MM makes no effort to simulate either of those. In the real world between 1399-1821 (Games time line), over 50 provinces change their culture, in MM not even one does that. And yea a state is ALWAYS a melting pot (Enforcing Religious and cultural unity -especially in the games time line, today we have freedom of religion for example), if you don't agree with that give examples to counterfeit it. Because the more homogene the population is then bigger the chance is that the interests of the citizens of the state will be similar, which in turn increases unity, which increases the overall stability etc. etc...
    I think you are confusing the Mod with the game. What you quoted from me deals with the game, which if you read, shows the approach taken in the game is going to be different then in the mod.

    No, a state is not always a melting pot - historically look at: the Ottoman Empire, the Haspburg Empire, the various Chinese dynasties, the many Indian states and even such states as Persia. Even in today's world there are non-melting pot states such as Canada.

    I think you are confusing or blending the concepts of acceptance vs assimilation.

    The systems and mechanics being implemented in the game are very flexible and create a lot of possibilities when dealing with different cultures - as I said NON-MELTING POT STATES such as the Ottoman Empire and the Haspburg Empire will actually play more historical then they currently do in the mod.

  4. #804
    Programer armonistan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteCK2: Holy Knight500k club

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fayettenam, Arkansas
    Posts
    400
    so assimilation will be about as common in MMtG as in MMP, maybe a little bit more often. Right?

    P.S: Zolotaya sounds quite pretty

  5. #805
    Banned Delex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    4,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolotaya View Post
    I think you are confusing the Mod with the game. What you quoted from me deals with the game, which if you read, shows the approach taken in the game is going to be different then in the mod.

    No, a state is not always a melting pot - historically look at: the Ottoman Empire, the Haspburg Empire, the various Chinese dynasties, the many Indian states and even such states as Persia. Even in today's world there are non-melting pot states such as Canada.

    I think you are confusing or blending the concepts of acceptance vs assimilation.

    The systems and mechanics being implemented in the game are very flexible and create a lot of possibilities when dealing with different cultures - as I said NON-MELTING POT STATES such as the Ottoman Empire and the Haspburg Empire will actually play more historical then they currently do in the mod.
    You give perfect historical examples how a state is not a melting pot.

    Austria was colonizing Slovenia for centuries (Karenten is today German with a small slovene minortiy and before WW1 slovenia had many germans esspecialy in towns and also german enclaves. And how do you think those Germans came into Silesia and Bohemia? All territories in the Austrian empire under Austrian rule for a long enough period of time and a high enough stability (AKA not being border regions) were subjected to German colonization. Not to mention that there were German enclaves all over the Austrian empire.

    The Ottoman empire was colonizing tatars, turks and other muslim cultures (Which were loyal to them) all over the Balkans. How do you think the Albanians became the majority culutre in kosovo. The province silistria was at some point assimilated into turkish culutre with over 50% of their inhabitants being turks.

    In china once Manchu came to power the citizens were given 2 choices. Either wear hair and cloth the Manchu way or LOSE YOUR HEAD ("The Manchus enforced a 'queue order' forcing the Han Chinese to adopt the Manchu queue hairstyle and Manchu-style clothing"-Wikipedia).

    All states are melting pots if the state doesn't grant autonomy/basic human rights, both almost NON EXISTAN in the games time line.

    I think you should go check on your history and get some confirmation on the things your are posting here for historical accuracy. EMPIRES ARE AND ALWAYS WERE MELTING POTS.

    EDIT:
    Ubik (As he is claiming) is working with some historians on the game, so why not ask them and post their professional opinion here.
    Last edited by Delex; 12-06-2010 at 23:24.

  6. #806
    Quote Originally Posted by armonistan View Post
    so assimilation will be about as common in MMtG as in MMP, maybe a little bit more often. Right?

    P.S: Zolotaya sounds quite pretty
    There are two different concepts in this thread and I think they need to be separated better.

    1: Acceptance of a culture - The process where an existing culture in an area becomes accepted by the ruling culture as an equal and partner. Examples include Austrian elevation of Hungarian culture pre-WW1 in the Haspburg Empire and the many cultures of Canada including the Inuit, the Metis, and the French-Canadians.

    2: Assimilation of a culture - The process where an existing culture in an area is completely wiped out or overcome by an invading culture. Examples here include the many instances of Genocide and forced migrations throughout history.

    The acceptance of a culture is being expanded upon in the game as compared to the mod. Right now, in the mod, if a culture falls below a threshold, it will not be able to be a part of your society. This is not going to be the case in the game. All cultures, no matter their size has the possibility of adding to the benefits your society enjoys.

    In the game, on the other hand, the total assimilation or destroying of a culture is something that is not going to be facilitated. This will remain as rare in the game as it is in the mod.

    Example: Norman culture in France. Norman culture in the mod will almost always work against the French player. Administrative Efficiency, Realm Revolt and all sorts of other modifiers all take a hit for controlling these provinces, even if fully cored. In the game, while Norman culture will never become extinct, it might very well become an integrated part of the French society and instead of counting against the French player for AE, RR and other factors, it will counts on the positive side.

    This part of the game is actually one of my favorite new things you'll see, because it opens a lot of possibilities and strategies to pursue.

    I hope this helps clarify things.

  7. #807
    Quote Originally Posted by Delex View Post
    I think you should go check on your history and get some confirmation on the things your are posting here for historical accuracy.
    Let's not get into that, shall we? It's physically impossible to go through every single primary document that is available today, let alone secondary sources and all other published works on history. Now think about all the possible interpretations from which we can conclude.... to ask someone to "read history" has a lot of weight, doesn't it?
    We all have things to read from history, whose volume is too huge to go through in one's lifetime. Nobody is exempt from that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delex View Post
    In china once Manchu came to power the citizens were given 2 choices. Either wear hair and cloth the Manchu way or LOSE YOUR HEAD ("The Manchus enforced a 'queue order' forcing the Han Chinese to adopt the Manchu queue hairstyle and Manchu-style clothing"-Wikipedia).
    I won't say much about Wikipedia, but I should mention that the Qing example was more of a two-way cultural exchange.

    On one hand, the Manchu rule did impose Manchu customs on non-Manchu subjects; on the other hand, if you look at contemporary writings, it is revealed that the Manchu garrisons (the Banners) were losing familiarity with the Manchu language by the third generation that the second generation garrisons were picking up local directs, and the third generation garrisons were having difficulties understanding Manchu language itself.
    It's interesting to see the fate of the Manchu language today in that light...


    Just wanted to point out that, in China under Qing, the "mainstream" culture and the culture of the authority consumed one another.
    Member of the Magna Mundi team, currently in charge of Asia

  8. #808
    Quote Originally Posted by Delex View Post
    You give perfect historical examples how a state is not a melting pot.

    Austria was colonizing Slovenia for centuries (Karenten is today German with a small slovene minortiy and before WW1 slovenia had many germans esspecialy in towns and also german enclaves. And how do you think those Germans came into Silesia and Bohemia? All territories in the Austrian empire under Austrian rule for a long enough period of time and a high enough stability (AKA not being border regions) were subjected to German colonization. Not to mention that there were German enclaves all over the Austrian empire.

    The Ottoman empire was colonizing tatars, turks and other muslim cultures (Which were loyal to them) all over the Balkans. How do you think the Albanians became the majority culutre in kosovo. The province silistria was at some point assimilated into turkish culutre with over 50% of their inhabitants being turks.

    In china once Manchu came to power the citizens were given 2 choices. Either wear hair and cloth the Manchu way or LOSE YOUR HEAD ("The Manchus enforced a 'queue order' forcing the Han Chinese to adopt the Manchu queue hairstyle and Manchu-style clothing"-Wikipedia).

    All states are melting pots if the state doesn't grant autonomy/basic human rights, both almost NON EXISTAN in the games time line.

    I think you should go check on your history and get some confirmation on the things your are posting here for historical accuracy. EMPIRES ARE AND ALWAYS WERE MELTING POTS.

    EDIT:
    Ubik (As he is claiming) is working with some historians on the game, so why not ask them and post their professional opinion here.
    Delux, no offense, but you really need to reread and understand what is being said - Let us take oneof your "assimilation" arguments and break it down.

    1: Manchu - a foreign dynasty that came to rule over the majority of what today is called China. They never succeeded in assimilation of the Han culture, despite the draconian measures like the dress code... proof is that the culture there is known as Han, not Manchu.

    Now under your theory, Han Chinese culture, would be assimilated and disappear under the Manchu rule. These pograms and persecutions you talk about were indeed quite severe and focused to try to do this, but as many invaders found, it is very hard to destroy a culture that exists in an area.

    All of your "assimilation" points are just as flawed and despite what you are repeating, working with local cultures for acceptance is greater then assimilation ever was - especially in this time-frame.

    Please quit insulting me, because I am finding it harder and harder to hold my tongue with regard to your personal attacks - may I ask what language is your native tongue? Perhaps if I had one of the other team members translate everything into your native tongue, your comprehension would be greater.

    Your assertion of Empires always being melting pots is proven false by the fact that the OE allowed local cultures like the Serbs to continue to have their Prelates and to accept the local ruling elite as part of their own.
    Last edited by Zolotaya; 12-06-2010 at 23:37.

  9. #809
    Banned Delex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    4,213
    Zolotaya-I totaly counterfeited your argument saying that those empires you mentioned were not meting pots, thats why all you do is throw cheap insults and didn't even reply on what i said to Austria and ottomans, you simply named it as flawed with no proof whatsoever.

    Quit insulting you? Everything i suggested is to get some empirical proof and to check on the historical accuracy of the things you said. Since its clearly apparent you don't know much on the topic.

    "They never succeeded in assimilation of the Han culture"-"Just wanted to point out that, in China under Qing, the "mainstream" culture and the culture of the authority consumed one another" The poster Ese Khan counterfieted that.

    EDIT:
    "OE allowed local cultures like the Serbs to continue to have their Prelates and to accept"-They were allowed to practice their religion but they had to pay higher Texases which were forced upon them, why do you think many Bosnian Serbs coveted to Sunni religion?

    EDIT 2:
    Your argument about Manchu is based on the fact that they never assimilated the Han. That confirms my claim that all empires were melting pots and just because they failed, doesn't mean that the Russians didn't succeed in removing the Tatars. So your argument doesn't counterfeit me in any way. Then the arguments you give with the Canadians is actually an example of giving autonomy, which i very well covered in my argumentation. And your argument about Austria Hungary didn't even happen in the games time line and with different reasons then to form friendship with the Hungarians.

    Ese Khan-First thanks to clarifying in greater detail on the Manchu history of enforcing their rule. Second historical documents on the topic can be provided, since if there would be noone we hardly would know a thing about it.
    Last edited by Delex; 13-06-2010 at 00:02.

  10. #810
    Delex, to "counterfeit" means to make illegal copies of money. "Counter" is the word you're looking for.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delex View Post
    Ese Khan-First thanks to clarifying in greater detail on the Manchu history of enforcing their rule. Second historical documents on the topic can be provided, since if there would be noone we hardly would know a thing about it.
    I'm not sure if I understood your second sentence correctly, but what I meant was that it's too much to ask someone to "read [every bit of written] history" -- take history of Qing, for instance. There must be thousands of books about it in various languages, including English, French, Japanese, and Chinese. You don't get to read book that are written in languages you don't speak unless they're translated. Add hundreds of books written in languages you speak to the equation and you know how much work even that burdens you with.
    And that's just for secondary and tertiary sources. Now think about primary sources, which by themselves may give you different impressions upon reading than when you read secondary and tertiary documents, which are essentially a collection of interpretations the authors came up with upon their reading.

    Bah, I know I'm getting too grumpy here, but you get what you mean.


    Anyways, the way I see it, I think it goes without saying that not all political entities trampled upon their cultural minorities, but even when that was the case, such "lenient" policies were nothing like coexisting "non-melting pot" situation like we the 21st century citizens see as a true coexistent society. I believe this is where we get a phrase like "they were lenient for the time".
    Last edited by Ese Khan; 13-06-2010 at 00:09. Reason: wanted to say non-melting pot, not melting-pot!
    Member of the Magna Mundi team, currently in charge of Asia

  11. #811
    Quote Originally Posted by Delex View Post
    Zolotaya-I totaly counterfeited your argument saying that those empires you mentioned were not meting pots, thats why all you do is throw cheap insults and didn't even reply on what i said to Austria and ottomans, you simply named it as flawed with no proof whatsoever.
    Actually I am being nice to you. I didn't feel the need to reply to what you said about the Haspburgs, because your own words condemn your argument - despite German colonization for centuries, there were only enclaves. That is proof enough that assimilation never occurred.

    Quit insulting you? Everything i suggested is to get some empirical proof and to check on the historical accurate of the things you said. Since its clearly apparent you don't know much on the topic.
    ...

    "They never succeeded in assimilation of the Han culture"-"Just wanted to point out that, in China under Qing, the "mainstream" culture and the culture of the authority consumed one another" The poster Ese Khan counterfieted that.
    Here is an example of your lack of comprehension (understanding). Ese actually is supporting me and saying quite literally that among the Qing their armies units were losing their own language and there was no assimilation going on ... here is the exact quote:

    the Manchu garrisons (the Banners) were losing familiarity with the Manchu language by the third generation that the second generation garrisons were picking up local directs, and the third generation garrisons were having difficulties understanding Manchu language itself.


    EDIT:
    "OE allowed local cultures like the Serbs to continue to have their Prelates and to accept"-They were allowed to practice their religion but they had to pay higher Texases which were forced upon them, why do you think many Bosnian Serbs coveted to Sunni religion?
    All of which, ironically is modeled in the mod .. but the fact is they still allowed it.. thus it disproves your assertion, just by existing.

    I really am tired of you saying I do not know history, when it is apparent I know more then you.

    Edit to your edit
    EDIT 2:
    Your argument about Manchu is based on the fact that they never assimilated the Han. That confirms my claim that all empires were melting pots and just because they failed, doesn't mean that the Russians didn't succeed in removing the Tatars.
    Umm. your lack of understanding is causing you grief here. "Melting Pot" cultures are cultures where all the different sub-sets "melt" together to form one. The fact that the Manchu failed is proof that at best they stayed a separate culture within their empire, and at worse they were "melted" themselves into the Han culture that existed there prior to their conquests. The Qing regime was never accepted as part of the mainstream culture, right until the end when the Republic was declared.

    So your argument doesn't counterfeit me in any way. Then the arguments you give with the Canadians is actually an example of giving autonomy, which i very well covered in my argumentation. And your argument about Austria Hungary didn't even happen in the games time line and with different reasons then to form friendship with the Hungarians.
    Your "giving autonomy" is exactly what is an example of how different cultures are accepted by the ruling regime, and I never claimed elevating Hungarian culture by the Austrians was done in friendship - it actually does not matter why the reasons were, just that the fact that it happened.
    Last edited by Zolotaya; 13-06-2010 at 00:19.

  12. #812
    Banned Delex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    4,213
    Zolotaya-

    "there were only enclaves"-Those Germans in Hungary, and other parts of the empire where there from an earlier date. And again you are basing your argument on the fact that assimilation in some parts was unsuccessful, while that is wrong. In fact the colonization never stopped till the collapse of the empire and was successful (Sudentenlands, Silesia, Charantia...).

    "That is proof enough that assimilation never occurred"- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...Eastern_Europe Right you talk...

    "Here is an example of your lack of comprehension (understanding). Ese actually is supporting me and saying quite literally that among the Qing their armies units were losing their own language and there was no assimilation going on ... here is the exact quote:"-Once again you are basing your argument on a failed cultural assimilation. The sheer fact that it existed confirms me right.

    You clearly said:
    "No, a state is not always a melting pot - historically look at:...the various Chinese dynasties."- I have proven you wrong by proving that forced assimilations existed.

    "All of which, ironically is modeled in the mod .. but the fact is they still allowed it.. thus it disproves your assertion, just by existing."-That confirms that the Ottmans were willing to give them religious freedom if they payed higher taxses. It would counterfeit me only if the Ottomans would be willing to give them no harsh measures and would let them live in peace. But they taxed them and at the same time settled different peoples on their land. With the harsh mesures which they imposed, they forced the inhabitants to adopt to the turkish culutre which means a METING POT was creted and its consiqences can be seen till todays days.

    "I really am tired of you saying I do not know history"-Its a fact that you dont know much about colonization, which you simply confirming by denying its existance.

    EDIT:
    And yea we can also talk about the cultures which were virtually wiped off the map or to the brink of extinction. Thanks to enforced melting pots.
    Last edited by Delex; 13-06-2010 at 00:27.

  13. #813
    Quote Originally Posted by Delex View Post
    Zolotaya...

    You clearly said:
    "No, a state is not always a melting pot - historically look at:...the various Chinese dynasties."- I have proven you wrong by proving that forced assimilations existed.
    Yes a "forced assimilation" that totally backfired and assimilated the culture invading. ... please stop digging your hole deeper. You are the one that brought up the Manchu as an example of "successful" assimilation. Ese was kind enough to back me up on this, saying that not only did this "attempt" fail, but it can even be considered to have back-fired.

    "All of which, ironically is modeled in the mod .. but the fact is they still allowed it.. thus it disproves your assertion, just by existing."-That confirms that the ottmans were willing to give them relgious freedom if they payed higher taxses. It would counterfeit me only if the ottomans were giving them no harsh measures and would let them live in peace. But they taxed them and at the same time settled different people on their land. With the harsh mesures they imposed they forced the inhabitants to adopt to the turkish culutre which means a METING POT was forced.
    No, it actually confirms the existence of toleration, just as the wholescale adoption of local ruling elites by the Ottomans confirms the existence.



    "I really am tired of you saying I do not know history"-Its a fact that you dont know much about colonization, which you simply confirming by denying its existance.
    This issue of yours is getting tiring. Colonization (internal or external) does not mean a culture is automatically assimilated and just for the record I never once denied there was not this "colonization" ... the fact that you base "assimilation" on the mere existence of "colonization" (internal) shows the lack of depth your analysis actually has.

    The fact that there were migrations of people, forced or unforced has nothing to do with the assimilation or acceptance of a native culture.
    Last edited by Zolotaya; 13-06-2010 at 00:44.

  14. #814
    Banned Delex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    4,213
    Zolotaya-

    "Yes a "forced assimilation" that totally backfired and assimilated the culture invading. ... please stop digging your hole deeper"- Your claim was that no assimilation existed at all and all were friends. At the end the melting pot was successfully since all became one which made it easier for the state to govern, which is the overall objective of a melting pot.

    "No, it actually confirms the existence of toleration"-They were not tolerant. Tolerant would mean that they didn't demand anything from them. In that case it was more like if i would bribe someone in order to be able to exercise an action. Is that tolerance? If yes then your standards for tolerance are pretty low.

    "The fact that there were migrations of people"-You are calling it migrations, im calling it settlemnt policy. In the ottman empire it was called Iskan policy, so it even had a name. The people were either invited or forced to settle.

    "the fact that you base "assimilation" on the mere existence of "colonization""-You didnt provide any proof to confirm your argument (Not once in the whole disscussion). Your whole argument is based on the fact that not all settlemnt policy immediatley changed the culutre or were not allways sucessfull. But they caused that in the games timeline reflecting on the real world over 50+ provinces changed their mainstream culutre (And im saying 50+ because i know only correct information for europe and not asia and africa). In MM you cant get even 1.

    ""Melting Pot" cultures are cultures where all the different sub-sets "melt" together to form one"-"Just wanted to point out that, in China under Qing, the "mainstream" culture and the culture of the authority consumed one another" Misson complete.

    "it actually does not matter why the reasons were, just that the fact that it happened."-It very well matters. Since if we analize the situation, which you are not willing to do, the things are not so white-black as you clim them to be. And such examples were very rare and didnt even happen in the games timeline. You give not one example in the games timeline where one culutre would grant total autnomy to the other without any conditions. And Austro-Hungary didnt change even a bit in its nature after its creation the other peoples were still in a colonization like system in their relation with the Hungarians and Austrians.

  15. #815
    MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    18,694
    Brittany, Jun: Its obvious Mr Delex knows what he is talking about and we will never be able to fool him. Stop trying. NOW.




    .
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

    PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE


    HISTORY IS YOURS!

  16. #816
    .
    Last edited by ubik; 13-06-2010 at 01:10. Reason: Mr Delex cannot be fooled.

  17. #817
    Seriously Delex,
    You have an attitude problem. I appreciate you may not be aware you have it, but you do.

    Case in point:
    Here is an example of your lack of comprehension (understanding).
    To assume that because Zolotaya is of a seemingly opposing view, she is wrong and doesn't understand, is both arrogant and demeaning. She is not trying to insult you, she wishes to explain why she disagrees with your arguments and appreciates that there might be a language barrier, and objects to your argumentative approach.

    She has tried to explain that the approach of the game was modelled on the idea that you cannot actually totally assimilate a culture, rather that culture becomes more like yours but not totally. There are still Greeks in Trebizond, Turkey, but they are muslim. Bretagne, Occitania, Normandy, and Alsace and other regions/cultures in France are all unique cultures that share an overarching French cultural unity, yet are still distinct. etc..

  18. #818
    BL-logic
    Event Scripter
    Arbus's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lisboa, Portugal
    Posts
    1,018
    From what I understand, both assimilation and acceptance of cultures will be in the game, but assimilation is harder to achieve, as it should be, and I think we all agree on this. It also seems there won't be a decision to assimilate cultures, but it will occur during the game somehow. Not wanting to go further on this, it seems to me that, all other things equal, the population density in a province should be a factor in the assimilation process (I don't know if it is, and I'm specifically thinking about colonies here), but I have no idea on how demographics work to develop this thought, or how would this afect the game in terms of historic plausibility and gameplay.

    So, some things I would like to know, (which are somewhat related to this, and I don't know if they are already settled or not), are about demographics. Will we have urban and rural population? Will we have classes, like peasants, artisans, merchants, clergy and noblemen represented at the provincial level? How will cultural and religious minorities be represented at the provincial level (by quantitative or qualitative indicators)?

    Also, will factions be tied only to a specific province as they were in the mod, or will they spread out across the country and can be even coexist in several provinces, or will they be present only at the national level? Just to add that I favor a system where, even if the merchant class is not an influent faction nationwide, it could still be very powerfull in a couple of rich provinces, thus causing you trouble if you neglect them. I just fell you can't neglect or get rid of a faction nationwide (unless you're luxembourg), as they will eventually find a stronghold within your nation where they remain influent for some reason, and can even take up arms against you, whenever they feel like it, but mostly at a rather inconvenient times.

    Thank you.
    Last edited by Arbus; 13-06-2010 at 01:54.

  19. #819
    MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    18,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbus View Post
    From what I understand, both assimilation and acceptance of cultures will be in the game, but assimilation is harder to achieve, as it should be, and I think we all agree on this. It also seems there won't be a decision to assimilate cultures, but it will occur during the game somehow. Not wanting to go further on this, it seems to me that, all other things equal, the population density in a province should be a factor in the assimilation process (I don't know if it is, and I'm specifically thinking about colonies here), but I have no idea on how demographics work to develop this thought, or how would this afect the game in terms of historic plausibility and gameplay.

    Population is a very significant factor, yes.


    So, some things I would like to know, (which are somewhat related to this, and I don't know if they are already settled or not), are about demographics. Will we have urban and rural population? Will we have classes, like peasants, artisans, merchants, clergy and noblemen represented at the provincial level?

    Generally speaking, yes.


    Also, will factions be tied only to a specific province as they were in the mod, or will they spread out across the country and can be even coexist in several provinces, or will they be present only at the national level?

    Only national level.

    At provincial level you have the social groups.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

    PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE


    HISTORY IS YOURS!

  20. #820
    Quote Originally Posted by ubik View Post
    Brittany, Jun: Its obvious Mr Delex knows what he is talking about and we will never be able to fool him. Stop trying. NOW.
    You misunderstood me! I never tried to fool him or oppose him, I only supplemented detailed information!

    Well, I actually mean it. You see I left the forum after doing just that.
    Member of the Magna Mundi team, currently in charge of Asia

Closed Thread
Page 41 of 154 FirstFirst ... 16 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 66 91 116 141 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts