• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jan 22, 2010
This'll be my one and only post. So feel free to flame, i'll never read it.

I got this as a budget, so £15.. If i'd paid £35 for it, i'd be knocking the devs head's in to be honest. EIC is a... joke really. It's almost like they got so far, then just decided to not bother anymore.

I have a fleet of 5 ships. All five get sunk. Not by enemy gunfire, but because they run aground.

The map loaded with the ships so close to the islands that they couldn't turn in time and everyone of them sank.

This about 6 hours into the game...I don't care if i can reload a save from 2 hours ago...

Another example, I have a 5 star captain, with all the mods, 5 Frigates, all with between 5 and 10 stars each. Get sunk by 5 of the most basic ships available to the warship side. Seriously, 4 are sunk, 1 survives with about 3 hps. All 5 of mine are sunk. 215k in gold, hours of time... for what? To be insulted by part time devs?

In my last game, I lost 3 sotl + 2 frigates to 1 pirate frigate.
My ally, decided to attack me in the last minutes of the game, taking over a port I needed to complete the winning scenario.. seconds before he decides to flip sides, my lv 4 garrison burns to the ground. Like eh? wtf..!

I have one decent fleet early in the game, with all my other fleets as the basic ships. Just after spending all my money on spices, a storm hits, sinks 3 ships and I loose all of my cargo. That's not a difficulty to work with thats a restart the bloody game...hours of time lost.

I mean why? What could have been a truely excellent game... is just pants. It really is absolute, utter garbage. Sid Miers Pirates is better than this... and that game is dreadful.

Theres the lag in big battles with 10 ships... the weird "your lv 4 warehouse burns to the ground minutes after to fill it with the most expensive items" the insane ai pathing in ship battles, send two ships after an enemy vessel and one just decides to go the complete opposite direction, the insane prices for repairs and cost of purchasing ammo, it's cheaper to build a new ship ffs.

EIC the designers cut.. seriously, it isn't worth this post.:wacko:

I had some of his problems, too. If you autoresolve, you tend to just fight battle after battle and forget about ammunition. Then your 5 frigates are sunk by 2 sloops. Apparently you need to shoot back to win and cannonballs don't reproduce by themselves.

As for ships running aground, the AI is affected big-time by this, but I have NEVER had ships start so close to land that they couldn't be maneuvered successfully away from danger.

I second this, this is a trading game. If you want to have naval battles only. Get something like Seadogs or ETW.

I hesitated at first with this game, but I have grown to love it. I just wished they made an expansion kit that included East Indies, Indonesia. Lots of trade there with the Dutch, English, Portuguese and Spanish. That was a very important trading era.

Amazing but he kept his promise, his post count still says "1". A man of his word.

I haven't really had much of a chance to play EIC in quite a while, since my system ran the game too slowly (which is also why I haven't been so active in this forum for a while). Today I received my new laptop, and EIC is running brilliantly on it. I look forward to getting back into this game, and from what I've played of it tonight it is looking like it wiill be as enjoyable as I initially expected it to be.

I can understand the arguments about the game getting repetitive, but at the end of the day what game doesn't get repetitive eventually? I would also like more noticeable differences between the various factions in the game, but I doubt that will happen. They're more there for roleplaying, in my opinion.

I'm finding myself really enjoying it, I've only been into Paradox games and Grand Strat games for a few months (excepting TW but it's just not the same), I was given a recomendation for HOI 2 years ago when I started going to sea to strive off boredom, but couldn't get into the gameplay till i picked up Rome. But I do fine EIC enjoyable its like Ports of Call for th 1700's except not as cheap and tacky, I reckon Nitro and Vstep should team up and make a proper Sailing game, that would be class.

I'm finding myself really enjoying it, I've only been into Paradox games and Grand Strat games for a few months (excepting TW but it's just not the same), I was given a recomendation for HOI 2 years ago when I started going to sea to strive off boredom, but couldn't get into the gameplay till i picked up Rome. But I do fine EIC enjoyable its like Ports of Call for th 1700's except not as cheap and tacky, I reckon Nitro and Vstep should team up and make a proper Sailing game, that would be class.

Nice to hear you enjoy EIC! When you've experienced everything it has to offer check out the playable demo of our next game Commander: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487665. I'm sure you'll like it as well. :cool:

Thanks, I didn't know there was a demo, I knew the game was out soon, already had it preordered. Any news I can get about Raven's Cry? I just saw it on the dev's site but could not find any info. Am I right in thinking it's a kind of Pirates! Red Dead Redemption hybrid, I hope so:D

The battles in particular are more realistic (maybe less 'fun') than some other tactical games - "Empire Total War" comes to mind. For once you fight the way the did - turns, tacks and approaches taking time, not zipping around as if sail battles were like modern tank battles!

Is it possible to play EIC solely as a trading game? In sandbox mode?
Yes. You can simply autoresolve all the naval battles.

I've been playing Privateer exclusively, and it's very fun. Not that there aren't many areas where EIC could be improved, but the OP was simply bad at the game, never learned how to play, got frustrated, and quit.

I ragequit the other day after my two galleons and a flute lost against three sloops and a cutter in an autoresolve battle.
Personally I don't get why people use auto-resolve, since the battles are my favorite part of the whole game. That being said, fluyts are strictly trade vessels worthless in battle, and galleons have decent cannons but are super slow and clunky. I think I could beat two galleons with three sloops and a cutter. The only question would be whether or not I would run out of ammo. Since there aren't any chasers in the game there's no reason a well-handled sloop or cutter should ever get in the firing arc of a galleon.

Rugster I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I had a similar problem with the game when the changed from the original version to the designers cut (there was a nasty bug with the islands and causing a crash, but that has been patched out). However, the more I played the game the more I grew to like it. I found out that rather than auto-resolving the naval battles if I manually controlled the ships the outcome was much better in my favor. You cant just click on an enemy ship and expect you captain to avoid anything in his path and successfully reach the enemy. Often I give an order to one ship then I switch to another ship give it an order and so forth. I have gotten really good at firing a salvo with one ship and then turning to evade the enemy's return fire. With a little practice it becomes quite fun ... not to mention the free ships I capture and the goods they have on board.

Further, I enjoy the strategy of capturing ports to control the goods I want and the ability to make money simply by trading. I have played ALL naval and pirate games and I find this one a blend of Port Royal 2, Empire Total War, Napoleon Total War, Pirates!, Age of Pirates and a few others. Sure there are some things I would like to see improved (such as selling goods in all ports even your rival nations home port to sink their economy) if there is ever a second installment (and yes I have Commander: Conquest of America), but I still find the game quite enjoyable. I liked Pirates too and even Tortuga (by Ascaron Entertainment) but they became a little too much with the fight, take ship, sell goods and repeat process.

I find the game quite playable and if you look enough you can find it at very affordable prices. P.S. are you sure you have patched your game ... as stated earlier you trouble may be there.

Regards,

L'Abattage

Last edited:
I found out that rather than auto-resolving the naval battles if I manually controlled the ships the outcome was much better in my favor.
It's really too easy. The AI is pretty dumb, and seems to try to sail straight at you no matter the circumstances. If you manage your ships you can place them in a line (or even better, a concave arc), and cross the T while the enemy ships run right into your fire arcs. If you start out with the wind gage this can lead to some incredibly lopsided victories.