• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Any more progress or you stopped working on it ?

Any more progress or you stopped working on it ?
Base tax values and economic development of countries are done. We are now working on foreign relations and alliances.

PreXident, you (and your brother) have done a great work and this mod has the most potential out of them all, so I'd like to continue this project.
Could you release whatever progress you've made from the first upload (if you still have it), if you let me work on the mod?

Another thing, I don't know if it's due to the FtG 1.3 patch, but there seems to be a few problems like these:

dj21POX.jpg

XRKRwKt.jpg

KWjYic0.jpg

Does anybody know what is the cause?

PreXident, you (and your brother) have done a great work and this mod has the most potential out of them all, so I'd like to continue this project.
Could you release whatever progress you've made from the first upload (if you still have it), if you let me work on the mod?
Thank you! It's a long time ago, but was a wonderful period.
And yes, sure, go ahead! We have not done anything notable since then as our school duties demanded our full attention. We will be very happy that someone takes this over!

Another thing, I don't know if it's due to the FtG 1.3 patch, but there seems to be a few problems like these:

dj21POX.jpg

XRKRwKt.jpg

KWjYic0.jpg

Does anybody know what is the cause?

I looked into it and there were localization problems, I have updated the files and posted link to alpha02 to OP

Wonderful! Thank you too!

As this mod focuses on an entirely different timeline it must change many aspects of the game, but sadly that probably isn't possible.

On the economy, industry should be the primary good. How about adding random events depeding on the free trade/protectionism (I believe this should actually be changed to central planning) than change what is produced to light industry, and from that to heavy industry? And to make industry vital the best way might be to give a huge incomes bonus to provinces with manufacturies.

Relating to revolt risk, let's remember we are deep into the age of nationalism, so we should probably reduce the war normal exhaustion increment (to make total wars easier), but increasing the malus for wrong culture provinces (in WE), and also the nationalism and wrong culture penalty during war.

Then there's the military, what would they be? I imagine inf should be Mechanized inf, cav Armored divisions, and art would be self-propelled art, right? And with units come doctrines. I want to propose Mobility (faster but weaker or more expensive) and Firepower (well, slower albeit stronger and cheaper), though I don't think this can be done at the moment.

A different alternative, which to me sounds really promising is having inf being a combination of inf and armour, and cav being (later on in the game) ROBOTS, incredibly expensive units that don't, however, require manpower, making them the ideal unit for large empires which can't rely on its subjects' willingness to fight, but can still use the economies of the conquered nations. The third unit type could still be artillery.

Another very important aspect is mobilization. Conscription centers will have to remain, but they should be way cheaper and faster to build, while on the other hand also increasing the revolt risk and perhaps an income penalty. If there was a way of removing or closing them then we could apply demobilization too.

I fear all or most of this will remain in fantasy as I don't think it can be changed yet.

A minor point is that with the new Personal Union mechanic we can include the special France-Andorra relationship. Speaking of Andorra, I saw the province has Spanish as its culture, is that realistic?

Meanwhile we have tech groups. I'm not sure if the current clasification is good, as it will lead to countries in the "developing" group staying backwards forever.
For this I have three proposals, two are simply unifying all of them and forget them altogether (which as a consequence will mean all the underdeveloped will have investment bonuses), or to change all the values to 100 but still keep the different groups.
But the third idea is way more complicated, it creates a group for each major country (USA, Germany, USSR/Russia, China, India, maybe Brazil and other ones) and when a country joins an alliance with one of them an event changes its tech group to that of the major, thus technology is shared only among allies. It might also either keep the current groups for the early game or replace them for a "neutral" one.

In any case I assume some nations start ahead of the rest in tech, is that so?

The technologies themselves will be another complex topic, but I'll sort it out or discuss it with you if want to keep working on this even if just a bit.

Last but not least, some other changes that I already have in mind:
Insanely large number of possible alliance members, because large coalitions are a reality in this era.
Random events in case of instability changing the ideology of provinces.
In line with, that countries should be able to change their form of government to any other.

Monarchs and leaders will be a serious concern as there are many different possibilities, but I hope to be able to cope with that and all the other troubles with some help from the community.

One last question, what's your stance on alt-history? Do you approve of, for example, partitioning Switzerland along cultural lines and giving the three countries cores and changing the culture of the provinces to that of the respective nations?

Again, great work!

EDIT: I further asume all countries should be annexable.
EDIT2: I'm also unsure about forts. I mean, if they improved the defenders' fighting values they'd be fine, but as a way of maintaining control over a province they are anachronistic.

Last edited:
This post will serve to inform everyone of the changes I've made so far, in case anyone has ideas to propose. (I might have to delete the older stuff once it gets too long)

DEFINES.TXT:
*Alliances have a max member number of 999
*Barrack initial price is 100, increases by 10 each time one is built
*All building save for the Shipyard now only take 2 months to be built
*The insane price of lvl 1 forts is retained
*No increase in price after building shipyards
*Direct tech investment now gives as many points as it costs (always was useless a feature to me, hopefully this will change it)
War Tax:
*Big increase of inflation, now it's 5%
*Smaller change in WE, just 0.2% (so now the effects are more related to the economy)
*Countries now require rebels to control provinces for just 1 year and half to declare independence (since I plan to make all states annexable and there won't be any forts I thought this'd be better for the game)
EDIT: I guess the level 1 forts will be kept

DB

*Corrected a few typos in countries.txt
*Changed techgroup of Uruguay and Chile to advanced (like Brazil and Argentina)

LOCALIZATION:

*The Royal Marriage is now called "Treaty of Friendship" (really hard to find a better term for something so vague)
*Claiming a throne is now "Claim Treachery"
*Vassalization is now "Puppetization" (Might need a better name, but at least it suits its action)
*Royal Diplomacy (the term for the diplomats bonus from the monarch DIP stat) is now Foreign Ministry (again, better term may be necessary)

It seems changing the localization files will be the most tedious task of my life.
EDIT: No flags and shields are.

Scenario:

*Morocco given claims on Ceuta and Melilla, pending event for "assimilation" once they become nat. cores.
Cores on Palestine from Middle Eastern countries changed to CB cores.
*DDR now has 2 AI files, one lasting until 2000 which is meant to make them "sleepy" (it always declares war on DEU in a matter of days) during the unification process.

Last edited:
Wonderful! Thank you too!

As this mod focuses on an entirely different timeline it must change many aspects of the game, but sadly that probably isn't possible.

You are right and keep in mind that we started before FtG, so more mechanics were hardcoded.

On the economy, industry should be the primary good. How about adding random events depeding on the free trade/protectionism (I believe this should actually be changed to central planning) than change what is produced to light industry, and from that to heavy industry? And to make industry vital the best way might be to give a huge incomes bonus to provinces with manufacturies.

Sounds good, we have not got to think about events that much in detail.

Relating to revolt risk, let's remember we are deep into the age of nationalism, so we should probably reduce the war normal exhaustion increment (to make total wars easier), but increasing the malus for wrong culture provinces (in WE), and also the nationalism and wrong culture penalty during war.
Agreed.

Then there's the military, what would they be? I imagine inf should be Mechanized inf, cav Armored divisions, and art would be self-propelled art, right? And with units come doctrines. I want to propose Mobility (faster but weaker or more expensive) and Firepower (well, slower albeit stronger and cheaper), though I don't think this can be done at the moment.

A different alternative, which to me sounds really promising is having inf being a combination of inf and armour, and cav being (later on in the game) ROBOTS, incredibly expensive units that don't, however, require manpower, making them the ideal unit for large empires which can't rely on its subjects' willingness to fight, but can still use the economies of the conquered nations. The third unit type could still be artillery.

Robots are a nice idea and they would definitely look cool on the map ;-)
In fact we had planned to have robocracy as a religion (sunni; the source would probably be in Japan) and alieni (shia; from Area 51 or Washington as UFO always land in front of White House) trying to wipe humanity from the face of Earth :-D

Another very important aspect is mobilization. Conscription centers will have to remain, but they should be way cheaper and faster to build, while on the other hand also increasing the revolt risk and perhaps an income penalty. If there was a way of removing or closing them then we could apply demobilization too.

I fear all or most of this will remain in fantasy as I don't think it can be changed yet.

Well, it's more possible that it was in EU2

A minor point is that with the new Personal Union mechanic we can include the special France-Andorra relationship. Speaking of Andorra, I saw the province has Spanish as its culture, is that realistic?

I think that in the time of our research the majority of Andorran population were Spaniards and Andorran citizens were in minority. Similar situation is in UEA, if I am not mistaken. However it could have changed since then.

Meanwhile we have tech groups. I'm not sure if the current clasification is good, as it will lead to countries in the "developing" group staying backwards forever.
For this I have three proposals, two are simply unifying all of them and forget them altogether (which as a consequence will mean all the underdeveloped will have investment bonuses), or to change all the values to 100 but still keep the different groups.
But the third idea is way more complicated, it creates a group for each major country (USA, Germany, USSR/Russia, China, India, maybe Brazil and other ones) and when a country joins an alliance with one of them an event changes its tech group to that of the major, thus technology is shared only among allies. It might also either keep the current groups for the early game or replace them for a "neutral" one.

In any case I assume some nations start ahead of the rest in tech, is that so?

The technologies themselves will be another complex topic, but I'll sort it out or discuss it with you if want to keep working on this even if just a bit.

In EU2 we had to manage with not so moddable groups, so feel free to modify it to your liking. When you have accumulated enough progress to make a new version, PM me or post into this thread and OP will be updated

Last but not least, some other changes that I already have in mind:
Insanely large number of possible alliance members, because large coalitions are a reality in this era.
Random events in case of instability changing the ideology of provinces.
In line with, that countries should be able to change their form of government to any other.

Monarchs and leaders will be a serious concern as there are many different possibilities, but I hope to be able to cope with that and all the other troubles with some help from the community.

One last question, what's your stance on alt-history? Do you approve of, for example, partitioning Switzerland along cultural lines and giving the three countries cores and changing the culture of the provinces to that of the respective nations?

Again, great work!

EDIT: I further asume all countries should be annexable.
EDIT2: I'm also unsure about forts. I mean, if they improved the defenders' fighting values they'd be fine, but as a way of maintaining control over a province they are anachronistic.

As we thought about alien invastions and robolutions, we are fine with alt-history. I believe many separatist movements are already in.

This post will serve to inform everyone of the changes I've made so far, in case anyone has ideas to propose. (I might have to delete the older stuff once it gets too long)

DEFINES.TXT:
*Barrack initial price is 100, increases by 10 each time one is built
*The insane price of lvl 1 forts is retained
*No increase in price after building shipyards
*Direct tech investment now gives as many points as it costs (always was useless a feature to me, hopefully this will change it)
War Tax:
*Big increase of inflation, now it's 5%
*Smaller change in WE, just 0.2% (so now the effects are more related to the economy)
*Countries now require rebels to control provinces for just 1 year and half to declare independence (since I plan to make all states annexable and there won't be any forts I thought this'd be better for the game)

LOCALIZATION:

*The Royal Marriage is now called "Treaty of Friendship" (really hard to find a better term for something so vague)
*Claiming a throne is now "Claim Conniving"
*Vassalization is now "Puppetization" (Might need a better name, but at least it suits its action)
*Royal Diplomacy (the term for the diplomats bonus from the monarch DIP stat) is now Foreign Ministry (again, better term may be necessary)

It seems changing the localization files will be the most tedious task of my life.

Good work! All of this sounds very promising, except for strange term "Claim Conniving". Our original intention was that the forts represent how hard is gaining control of the province, so deserts, mountains and so have better forts, whereas more cultivated terrains have low fort levels

Thanks again for the reply!

As I don't speak English as my mother tongue, I used an internet dictionary for the term I wanted to use, perhaps "treachery" is better. The idea is that one state claims the other has failed to abide the terms of the treaty or otherwise showed untrustwhorship of their part.

As for the forts then I guess only some provinces will have them, as I believe them to be out of place and if used at all it's just to represent the time needed to seize the entire land, which wouldn't take that long in the modern world.

Took a long break, but I'm back, and there's progress:

g65jixQ.jpg

EDIT: Flags and "shields" for all the initial countries of the Americas + French Guyana and Puerto Rico finished. Other revolters will be fixed in later releases, for now I just want to polish the RL world.

EDIT 2: Africa finished. My plan is to do Asia and the Pacific tomorrow, Europe in 2 days, ending with Yugoslavia and the USSR.

Last edited:
Took a long break, but I'm back, and there's progress:

g65jixQ.jpg

EDIT: Flags and "shields" for all the initial countries of the Americas + French Guyana and Puerto Rico finished. Other revolters will be fixed in later releases, for now I just want to polish the RL world.

Nice work!

Here's a different question: AFAIK Hong Kong was more important than Macao by the start date, so shouldn't it be the city that uses that province?

EDIT: About the forts, I've thought that assaults are a big problem, because they make the seizure of the province way faster.

Another edit: Decided to finish both Asia-Pacific and Europe, so the entire 1989 world is done!

0bDd5xW.jpg

Yet another edit: I'm now going through the Yugoslav secessionist states, but I see that there are many short-lived ones, perhaps it'd be better to represent them just be rebels?

EDIT4: Yugoslavia, Slovakia and the Soviet Union finished too! Also added Kosovo, and Russia and Serbia as separate countries (they should get their own event chains I believe).

But I stumbled accross a problem. Revolters and Released nations will get Dictatorship and Communism as their "religion" and if I understand correctly they are only meant to be the ideology for the provinces.

One last thing prexident, do you have the MyMap ID map? Will be very important.

Another edit: AFAIK Egypt had already recognized Israel, so they probably shouldn't have any core on them. The rest of the countries shouldn't have anything more than a claim (or just a CB core) either.

I've began working on the events, and as a first chain I'm making one about the wall (duh). I want to include the possibility that if the DDR refuses to open up the FRG may invade it and annex it if it controls Berlin. Naturally it will have "Fantasy" right in the title. Think it's a good idea?

One thousand edit: I'm curious about the Russians in Latvia, is there meant to be a "Latvian awakening" or something later on?

Last edited:
I've began working on the events, and as a first chain I'm making one about the wall (duh). I want to include the possibility that if the DDR refuses to open up the FRG may invade it and annex it if it controls Berlin. Naturally it will have "Fantasy" right in the title. Think it's a good idea?

It´s confusing to see you use the german abbrevation for the eastern part (DDR) but the english for the western part (FRG).
Being (west) german myself I think that would be VERY unrealistic. The DDR should only even have that option if itself and it´s allies and protector USSR are not bancrupt and desperate for money. And when it would chose the ahistorical option not to reunite with Germany then it should be hit be a hefty stability hit - the population in the DDR was only a short distance from open revolt before Krentz made that historic mistake to announce the border open for all.

My mistake, but I just checked the descs and I haven't made that in the events... yet :).
Certainly will add the stab hit (-3 probably), but at least I already put a 5 year +6 rr.

EDIT: Nice to see everyone's paying attention to this.

EDIT: On second thought, I won't make all countries annexable, it ruins the point of a centuries long game.

Last edited:
Decided to try Chicken Spadge's colorscales and they work just fine!

gbM7DHz.jpg

♫It's getting better all the time♫

:D

EDIT: Fixed the ugly dark orange (Poland's colour)

Actually, the aquamarine color isn't working, dunno why, as it IS in the file.
For now, countries with that colour now have LightBlue.

Last edited:

DEFINES.TXT:

Why? Even the United Nations have less than 200 members and military alliances have had FAR less than that, e.g. NATO 16 until the Fall of the Wall and the Warsaw Pact even less.

Even the new Berlin Airport or "Stuttgart 21" (the glorified railwaystation in Stuttgart) take more than a year to build and that is no "building" that covers the entirety of a province.

It always should be more expensive to "rush" a new invention than to simply let the normal research take it´s time.

1) Because I think they should be able to have as many members as they want. The UN has only that number because there aren't more countries.

2) That only affects city buildings like the concript. center (maybe I will change) and the tax col. office, which are really more like a service rather than a building. Manufactories still have the 2 year time.

3) Yeah, but pretty much all events that give you a tech bonus cost less than what they give, and that as it stands the investment mechanic is completely worthless.