• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Descartes

Lt. General
42 Badges
Oct 12, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 200k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Hello,

I'm considering the addition of a second start scenario. Since we had quite a discussion last time, I'll let you give your own suggestions. Personally, I'd go for 474 AUC, but I'm open to other start dates as well.

Having a late start date (at least compared to 245 AUC) wouldn't only give the player a chance to experience the Punic wars in a relatively historical way, but also provide a "light version" of the mod. Since the world is controlled by a much smaller number of nations in 474 AUC (or whatever we choose) than in 245 AUC, this second start scenario would be a lot less laggy.

It would be easy to implement a second scenario, since most countries in question have already been added for the first scenario. All it takes is a few edited province history files.

Cheers,
Descartes

474 seems alright to me :)

If you were to simulate the Punic Wars wouldnt you would have to include Africa and Iberia ?

You could also consider other interesting events such as these ones:
- Carthaginian Invasion of Sicily (defeated by Gelo)
- Ducetius the Sicel
- Rise of Dionysius II
- Samnite Wars
- Pyrrhic War

Last edited:
Africa and Iberia are the next targets on my map making campaign. ;)
I agree the events you have listed are interesting, but I feel there's one more we should take into consideration: 490 AUC, when the First Punic War started. Then, another question to the community: What would you think of choosing 490 as the second start date?

I think it's an awesome idea, but that's just me...
Starting in 490 AUC, you mean?

TBH, after that HD setback and the other issues still to adress in Imperium, i think your last concern should be another start date ATM, but what do i know, i gladly accept your great work no matter how you think its done best.
Well, I don't think it'd be that hard to implement. Also, when I'm extending the map, I can prepare the files for this second start date. Saves me a lot of time later on. :)

Well if it saves you work later on to already define a second starting date so do it :)
Personally I think you should implement a second one to add more flavour and I totally agree with your proposals. Around the events of the Punic Wars it would be intersting to play.
But consider: If you want to create a totally different atmosphere from the original game then start on another historical event

Good point. I'm not sure I want to create a "totally different atmosphere", though. Rome is a good game, and some of the original feeling should definitely be preserved. Btw, people: I find myself increasingly inclined to pick 490 AUC. Any objections?

Starting in 490 AUC, you mean?
Yes. Sorry, I failed to specify - I think 490 is perfect. It's different enough from the vanilla normal start date, and gives an extremely different political situation to your 245 start date. It almost gives the player two completely different games in one.

Its a great date to pick especially if you are expanding to Africa and Iberia.
It's different enough from the vanilla normal start date, and gives an extremely different political situation to your 245 start date. It almost gives the player two completely different games in one.
Indeed. :)

EDIT: I've been thinking of fancy names for the scenarios. What about "The Oath of Brutus" and "The Appeal of Messana"? :D

Last edited:
Just want to pop in and say that 490 AVC / 264 BC is an excellent starting date -- most probably the single best possible starting date for Rome. :)

By the start of the 1. Punic war there is a lot of tension between Carthage and Rome and that gives a totally different challenge to the player, and therefore i think it's a great proposal! :D

Just want to pop in and say that 490 AVC / 264 BC is an excellent starting date -- most probably the single best possible starting date for Rome. :)
Aah, it's good to hear you saying that. :D

By the start of the 1. Punic war there is a lot of tension between Carthage and Rome and that gives a totally different challenge to the player, and therefore i think it's a great proposal! :D
Not just tension. ;)

Aah, it's good to hear you saying that. :D

Not just tension. ;)

Descartes. I think that the best starting date is 300 bc. By this date the diadochi were stable and fully legitimased as inheritants of alexander's empire. in the balkan a balance was established beetwen the macdonia, epirus, greek states and illyrian kingdom. rome was still conlcuding its italic campaigns and the southern magnia grecia has more time to affront the roman coming onslaught. would be more fun for the seleucids to reafirm the boundaries of their empire as well as carthage was starting to think expansion on iberia. to the actual map of imperium i think 300 bc is the obvious starting date. its not to diverse from 474 auc but gives 20 extra vital years to consolidate in order to fully play and enjoy epirus, macedonia, rome, carthage , egypt etc. thats what rome vanilla lacks by starting at 474 i think
ps we would really appreciate a better rapresentation of illyria. dyrrhachium the importance of which caused the peloponesian war, or apollonia should have their own provinces i think their impact in the mediterranean world of third century bc was great. they were the battleground due to thir income beteween macedonia, illyria and epirus for almost a century uninterruplty.
thanks

Descartes. I think that the best starting date is 300 bc. By this date the diadochi were stable and fully legitimased as inheritants of alexander's empire. in the balkan a balance was established beetwen the macdonia, epirus, greek states and illyrian kingdom. rome was still conlcuding its italic campaigns and the southern magnia grecia has more time to affront the roman coming onslaught. would be more fun for the seleucids to reafirm the boundaries of their empire as well as carthage was starting to think expansion on iberia. to the actual map of imperium i think 300 bc is the obvious starting date. its not to diverse from 474 auc but gives 20 extra vital years to consolidate in order to fully play and enjoy epirus, macedonia, rome, carthage , egypt etc. thats what rome vanilla lacks by starting at 474 i think
ps we would really appreciate a better rapresentation of illyria. dyrrhachium the importance of which caused the peloponesian war, or apollonia should have their own provinces i think their impact in the mediterranean world of third century bc was great. they were the battleground due to thir income beteween macedonia, illyria and epirus for almost a century uninterruplty.
thanks

by we of course i mean we illyrians ( albanians) ;)

I beg to differ. :) 36 years later (in 490 AUC), I'd say the Diadochi were just as legitimised, and the political balance in Illyria still acceptable from a gameplay perspective.

I beg to differ. :) 36 years later (in 490 AUC), I'd say the Diadochi were just as legitimised, and the political balance in Illyria still acceptable from a gameplay perspective.

oh i completely agree. ny 264 bc illyria was starting to achieve its prime time in the balkans eclipsing epirus and challenging macedonia but thats the point if we dont have a window pirrys of epir career can not be simulated. ptoleme consolidation in egypt cannot be played as well. the magna grecia is not gonna even exist by 264 bc. carthage would not have space to manouver and the greek city states were quite nil by that time in term of their previous splendor and real political power. dardanians would get some playing fun because in 216 208 and 201bc they almost overrun all of their macdonia with their 22000 strong campain of 208 bc. however my vote was for someweher 300 bc anyway i judge the outcome would still be good. just take into consideration the question of dyrrachium ( epidamnos) province it was a city by 264 bc when you plan to start with 40-45000 and a theatre 7500 seats. plus apollonia founded in 588 bc by this time had a thetra with 9000 seats you can calculate their economic and political power. the province of taulanti could be split in taulanti interior and dyrracium seaside province. at 280 king monun of illyria qonquered dyrrachium again. plus by 264 scodra was starting to become the biggest illyrian city. as well epir could be divided in molosia ( ambrakia) south and phoinike north. the manpower, polpulation and economic value of epir in the time of symachia was enormous in balkans. hopefully this sugestions would reflect in your new scenario. thanks and keep doing your work.