+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [GUIDE] EU3 Old Map Tutorial Part I & II

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

[GUIDE] EU3 Old Map Tutorial Part I & II

I have seen lots of good quality AARs lately (including my AARs), and I've seen even more comments on people wondering "How did you do that?" and "I'd never be able to do that!". Well, now you can try!

Requirements:
    • Adobe Photoshop CS4
    • Monnikje's Blank Worldmaps found here. If you use IN for some reason (MMP2, for example), here's a similar one for IN
    • "Old Map" picture we're going to use in this tutorial, here. Right-click and save it.
    • Able to find the tools mentioned
    • Patience

So, let's get started!
    First we need a map background. Monnikje has made a great work converting the provinces.bmp file of Europa Universalis III into empty maps, that means less work for us. I decided to take this tutorial's picture from my Byzantine game.

Next thing we're going to do, we will paint the map's provinces to match the game's situation.

Then we will improve the water parts of the map. Select the wand tool and shift-click on the water regions. Don't forget the smaller parts, in this case the Bosphorus strait.

Right-click on the area(s) you selected and choose Layer from copy. Make sure the new layer is selected in the layer panel before proceeding.
    Then go to Filter->Artistic->Underpainting. You can experiment with the settings and styles, but I personally like underpainting and with these settings:

(Texture coverage is on maximum).
    Hit OK.
    Now we're going to use the "old paper" picture found in the requirements list. Drag the picture to Photoshop. If it opens it as a new project in a new tab (instead of adding it to the existing one), hit ctrl-A, copy and paste it to the project we're making now.

Hit ctrl-T to scale the paper image (make sure the layer is selected!!!) so that it covers to whole image. Then go to the layer tab, where you choose "Multiply" from the drop-down list. By default it's "Normal".

It is now like "beneath" the layers. Isn't it beautiful?

It's already looking like a map, but now let's add texts to indicate the nation names. I like the font Charlemagne Std, but you can use whatever you want.

If you want, you can select the custom shape tool and find a compass shape. Then choose a colour and add it to the image.

Finally, let's tell what this map is by making a box and adding some text:

There it is. Part II with some heavier and harder manipulation coming later. Beware: The second part needs more experience than this.

I added the .psd project in a zip as an attachment, if you want to take a look.
    Attached Files
    1914-1964 - the Ultimate Strategy Game

EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club

Part II - Advanced Editing

Yes, the map in part I is definitely beautiful. But it can be made even more beautiful!

Requirements:
    • Map made to the same stage as in part 1
    • Registered account at http://forum.cartographersguild.com
    • Mountain brushes from cartographersguild.
    • Skill
    • Some skill on geography (to know where mountains/rivers go, or use google earth)
    • Patience
    • Favourite music
    • Drink with lots of caffeine (to keep you awake )

Ok, before we start editing, move the first layer (in the bottom of the list, the one that has the map and it's colours) above the "old paper" layer (and over every layer that has effects, so that only text layers are above it). This way, we can easily continue painting the map.
    First, draw away all the region borders. Only leave the borders of different countries.

Then, to make the visibility better, I made the colours lighter, as the current ones were too dark. Download the brushes I linked in the requirements, and draw the mountains.

Then draw the rivers. You can spend time on this as much as you want, I just drew them to their approximate places. Also correct any errors, text misplacements, typos, or anything.

(Please note that I've moved the layer downwards again in every image, to show how it looks with the effects)

And... that's it! If you want, you could download more brushes from cartographer's guild, (Here's a good one) and add houses to represent important places (Jerusalem, Baghdad, Constantinople, for example) and write their names. But I guess that's it.

Was it so hard?
    Last edited by tuore; 03-01-2010 at 16:21.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Nice to have a tutorial like this for EUIII. If I can replicate some of the steps using Gimp I'll post the differences here.
    On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The July AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

Master of the Universe CaptRobau's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

That looks really nice. Could even use it for other timeframes (HOI2) by just skipping a few steps. Thanks.

Would this be possible with GIMP as more people have that as it's free.

I suppose I could do similar with Gim. Most of the changes can be made on Gimp and the brushes work too.

Alien Space Bat Judas Maccabeus's Avatar
    200k clubDeus VultEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Majesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

The main difference between Photoshop and Gimp (at least 2.6.6, which is the version I have at the moment) that I can see (the "underpainting" stage) can be done the same in this way:

When creating a new layer from the water, make sure it is behind the rest of the map. Then, select the main map and make a drop shadow (Filters -> Light and Shadow -> Drop Shadow), with offsets of zero, blur radius at your discretion and depending on map size (I used 40 for the large filled Europe map), and resizing deselected. The overall result (after applying the paper texture, that's the same) is this:

A larger blur radius would probably better fit what tuore's map has, as I said that part is entirely at the discretion of the person making the map. Also, I'd recommend making it a .png file like tuore did rather than .jpg like I did in a rush.
    Last edited by Judas Maccabeus; 03-01-2010 at 22:39.
    SHEEP ARE THE FUTURE

While Thou Shalt Flourish Great and Free (Saxon England, pt. 3) (Started 11 October 2010)
    Scenario progress: Base maps complete, pops and diplomacy in progress.

Lt.-Colonel of Guerillas Singleton Mosby's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Semper FiShip Simulator ExtremesSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Mosby's Confederacy, Guerilla territory, VA. CSA
    That's very nice. Thanks a lot!

Darkest Hour Team & Lead GFX Inner Circle's Avatar
    54 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of WarCrusader Kings II: Way of Life

Blog Entries
    That´s awesome!

I´ve made some own EU3 Map a while ago...

Attachment 21120
    Last edited by Inner Circle; 22-02-2010 at 21:47.

DARKEST HOUR
    1914-1963 Grand Strategy Game

Can you do the trick with the old map with paint.net too?

Quote Originally Posted by Zitanier View Post
    Can you do the trick with the old map with paint.net too?
    If it allows to change layer filters (Normal/Multiply/Soft Light/Hard Light etc.) then yes.

You can do this with paint.NET too:

You put the old map in the background.
    You go to ''Layers'' and select ''Import from file''.
    You put the map you want to use.
    You go again to ''Layers'' and select ''Layer Properties''.
    You change the opacity to make the image in the background look ''behind'' the image in layer one:

Yeah, but compare that with the photoshop version:

Master of the Universe CaptRobau's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

I actually like the Paint.Net one much better.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRobau View Post
    I actually like the Paint.Net one much better.
    Well, it's everyone's personal opinion. I consider it much too bright to look like an old map. But I'd say that it would work with HoI2/3.

MM Prime Minister in Exile Vishaing's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

I personally use Paint.Net for my image editing, and apply text in Photoshop, due to personal preferences for the former and technical limitations in both.

I find the best way to get an 'old map' texture in Paint.Net is to put the Old Paper texture under the map, turn the map layer to 'Multiply' in its properties, but leave its opacity at maximum, and then lower the opacity (if necessary) of the old paper layer that is beneath the map.

This is what happens when you put the old paper layer under a map layer set to multiply, keeping both layer's opacity at the max 255;

Keep in mind that if the above is too bright or light for your tastes, you can always change the old paper layer to multiply and add another old paper layer beneath it.

To add to this already great tutorial, I think it makes the maps look far more 'realistic' if you arc the text, even if only slightly, and put it at an angle. This is why I put down my text in Photoshop, because doing this in Paint.Net is Really difficult and it doesn't turn out as nice. (You need to use a sphere Warp thing, it just doesn't end well, trust me.) Doing this in an Old Style Font can make things even better, if a bit hard to read... For anyone looking for fonts, I would suggest you check out dafont.com, I get all of my fonts from them.

For another piece of advice; I tend to keep a 'Terrain' Layer over whatever layer I am actually drawin borders onto. This Layer will have the borders and color for lakes and rivers on it, as well as any cities I want to keep track of (cities are actually generally their own layer). This way I don't need to worry about stopping precisely at the coastline with my borders, but can continue on into the 'ocean' while the Terrain Layer covers that up and makes everything look nice and pretty like.
    Imperium in Imperio -:- EUIV Edition CKII Edition

Vishaing's Idea Corner -:- EUIV Modding Tools, Areas of Interest, Free Relations, Simple Character System, Re-Re-Thinking Ideas, War and Peace, Simplified Population System, Reforming Monarch Points, Fixing Rotten Attitudes

NOTE: Your Definition of 'soon' Might differ from Mine.

"Bandwith exceeded". Cool effect, I couldn't recognize the map .

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Thank you for this wonderful tutorial, tuore . I've added it to the list of tutorials you can find along with my maps.
    Me, Floris - A 'Mount & Blade: Warband' AAR: Floris IV of Holland enters Calradia, and tries to make the best of it. Winner of the AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Round 3) open category!

Inkwell: If you want to learn more!

EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiRome: Vae Victis

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm not so good at Photoshop, but just have it on the computer as they have it on my work so i took it home just to install on for personal use if i was ever gonna use. I'm not gonna use it for EU3 maps i think, but this is nice for other pictures you wanna edit! Thanks very much!

Hearts of Iron III

A very good tutorial, will definitely put it to use. Paljon kiitoksia, Tuore.
    Speak Lithuanian or Die - a Kaiserreich AAR
    A tale of resurrected Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and its brightest individuals in the grim world of Kaiserreich...
    Weekly AAR Showcase Winner 11/01 2010
    Favourite HOI1/2 Narrative AAR 2010 Q1, Q2, Q3

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelIronboot View Post
    A very good tutorial, will definitely put it to use. Paljon kiitoksia, Tuore.
    Russian, speaking finnish? Impressing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast