+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Mamma Mia! The AAR

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Mamma Mia! The AAR

Mamma Mia!
    Four Tales of Infambition, Randomadness and Glorytory

An Alternate Game & Play AAR for EUIII - Heir to the Throne

A Cautionary Note

The author apologises for being under the influence of port, pernod, orujo, Christmas and other continental spirits at the time of conceiving this. The story is based on a true game, the characters are truly fictional. The author assumes no responsibility for the behaviour of the AI. No Abba songs should be played or food ingested after midnight while reading this AAR.

Bristol, Fourth Day of Christmas 2009

Nothing like an alternate game to play around with HttT, learn a bit and laugh (or cry) a lot. This time I've gone beyond any previous madness and chosen to alternate between 4 countries -that's right, four. Don't expect anything glorious... in fact, expect everything to end up in tears. The countries are (in order of play): Mantua, Manchu, Mali and Maya. They are all just as likely to disappear by the 16th century, so I'll basically play them one by one in 7-year turns until there is only one left or I get bored... The start date is 1 January 1419. I'm playing 4.1.b with all settings to normal (plus Strannik's magnificent HDM mod).
    Last edited by aldriq; 31-03-2010 at 19:42.
    On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The July AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

Blog Entries
    this should be good
    GO JAPAN!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

can't wait for the real action; and for me this will also be a sneak peek at HttT and its workings;
    planning any RM between the 4?

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Really looking forward to this: aldriq, a concept taken probably too far, HttT, and reckless consumption, what could go wrong here?
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

Crazy Cat Person. Meow! Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    61 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by C'est Moi View Post
    Why 1419?
    Good question.

Looking forward to your new endeavour, aldriq.

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Good to see another AAR by none other than alriq himself. Good luck, and EXCELSIOR!

EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I am utterly confused, yet somehow excited by the first post.

Whatever this is, it's bound to be good.
    And one day we will die and our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea
    But for now we are young let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see......
    Betrothed to Kaisersohaib

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

I must confess, the title filled me with much consternation. Many has been the bastard child conceived from an excess of ABBA and/or alcohol. But my fears were allayed when I saw the name of the author.

Play on, sir, gentle Mantua awaits your guiding hand.
    Fan of the Week 22 February 2010 - Role PlayAAR of the Month March 2014

Indies -The AAR which refuses to sell out. Featured on Weekly AAR Showcase 21 July 2010 (Still writing Episode 4 "A New Hope" - the Flux will be with you)

Marshal Nikolai Fedorovich Vatutin, Chief of Stavka, in Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo Admin thread and Update thread.
    Etienne Burke, son of Frederic Burke, Prime Minister of Belgium during the Great War 1904-1907 and son of Edmund Burke, Commerce Minister 1866-1886 and son of Patrice "Bulwark" Burke, Former Chief of Staff of Belgium, Edge of Europe - an interactive AAR of ThunderHawk3
    Adolf von Arnim-Boitzenburg, Proud Imperialist in Sonderweg oder Anderweg - An interactive AAR in the Hohenzollerns megacampaign

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2

C'est Moi, Qorten - Welcome! I chose 1419 to have northern Italy a bit more balanced (neither Milan nor Venice being overly powerful), but now I think it was a mistake.

balkanite, Malurous, NACBEAST, Sweboy - Thanks and welcome!

gabor - who knows, I might even inherit Savoy

EUROO7 - Confused-excited is a good state of mind

Davout - I did not consume any Abba music while writing this, the title is merely alliterative
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

Act I

Scene I

Music room at the Palazzo Stoppia, Mantova; Lady Francesca Stoppia, aunt of the marquis of Mantua, is playing the lute. Her personal secretary Enzo Carenzi enters with a letter.

ENZO My Lady, I bring worrying news from your nephew... the duke of Provence has declared war on the Pope and the marquis is hesitant to honour Mantua's current vow to protect his Holiness.
    LADY STOPPIA I see... the duke is brave enough to call himself rightful king of France and now to claim Avignon for himself. On the other hand my nephew seems to be a coward. Why did my good father have to marry my sister to a Gonzaga?
    ENZO The marquis doesn't want to antagonise Tuscany, my lady. Tuscany and Ferrara support Provence, no one but Mantua supports the Holy Father...
    LADY STOPPIA Ferrara is an opportunity, Tuscany is not necessarily a problem. Enzo, remind my nephew that it is thanks to my father's money and intercession with the emperor the he has the title of marquis; Mantua will honour each and every guarantee or will not stand free.
    ENZO Yes, my lady.

Enzo rushes out, Lady Stoppia continues playing the lute.

Nobody wants to ally Mantua, so I had to make do with guarantees (Savoy, Venice, Papal States) and royal marriages (Savoy, Ferrara). The Pope was quick to annex Urbino and Avignon, but is now on the wrong side of Provence. I honoured, Naples didn't.

Enzo enters with a grave expression, Lady Stoppia stops playing.

ENZO My lady, I'm afraid fortune didn't favour the bold this time; despite an initial victory against Ferrara, the marquis and his army have been defeated by the Tuscans. He withdrew to Verona, where he is negotiating peace directly with Provence.
    LADY STOPPIA He is useless! Will we have to pay reparations?
    ENZO No, my lady, His Holiness has taken Aix-en-Provence, the duke seems willing to accept a simple end to hostilities at the moment.
    LADY STOPPIA Very well, at least Mantua held her promise, the Holy Father will have to handle this on his own from now.
    ENZO My lady, the marquis is quite upset about all this, he never wanted to enter this war.
    LADY STOPPIA He'll have to learn to live with defeat too, it is part of the bargain.

I escaped with a white peace, the Pope wasn't that lucky, he had to cede Ancona to Siena and Avignon to Provence. Gianfrancesco didn't take the humiliation well though...

Enzo enters with a very old document, Lady Stoppia interrupts her playing, visibly annoyed.

ENZO My lady, one of our informants in Modena has found a very interesting document that proves the old lord of Modena lost his duchy to Gianfrancesco's great-grandfather in a game of cards a hundred years ago.
    LADY STOPPIA This is very interesting. In fact, this is what I have been waiting for all these years. This is the opportunity Gianfrancesco needs to redeem himself. Take this document to him, he should take no time to declare war on Modena.
    ENZO Yes, my lady.

And so it is finally in 1425 that I get a chance and grab it. Modena is in a personal union with Ferrara, but luckily both have only single-regiment armies.

Enzo enters, a string in Lady Stoppia's lute snaps.

ENZO My lady, both Ferrara and Modena are besieged by our armies. However, the marquis Niccolo d'Este has so far refused to relinquish Modena.
    LADY STOPPIA Fool. It's only a matter of time... Send this to the luthier.
    ENZO Yes, my lady.

Enzo takes the lute and exits.

The sieges are at 13% and 25% as of December 1425, the end of the 7-year turn. Will the AI be able to finish this off and survive another 21 years? Note Austria has already taken Treviso from Venice...

Tintero

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    DiplomacyDungeonlandEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLegio
    Leviathan: WarshipsMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Looks like a fun beginning. Good luck!
    Active:
    Random World Order(EU4, Random)

Past:
    Beyond Tannenberg IV: The More Things Change(EU4, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Defeated))
    Beyond Tannenberg III: The Last Crusade (EU3, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Corrupt Save))
    Resurrection: Rebirth of the United States COMPLETED!
    CatKnight's Inkwell

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegio
    Majesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Great work! On to Manchu!
    God's protection is better than the strongest armor or the tallest tower.
    Fan of the Week: 4/25/10 Was a recipient of one of King_Richard_XI's birthday cookies:
    Nationality: American (Dixie), Religion: Southern Baptist, Ideology: Reactionary, Issues: Jingoism
    billy bob's opinion of Mississippi
    My first AAR: Etruria: Forging an Empire (a disaster, but completed)
    My second AAR: Confessions to a Boatman: An Ottoman AAR (dead)

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

I don't usually like a format like that (theatre play) but that was done so well that I enjoyed it a lot. Great work!

The interesting thing, compared to your "Europe is our dancefloor" AAR for instance, is that the nations are indeed weak enough that any of them could be dead in 21 years. It's also pretty cool that your countries can't see each other yet - you won't know what's going on elsewhere unless you spy the map.

Looking forward to more!
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

i like the format, but something tells me it'll be different with the other countries
    now, let's put our faith in AI's skill
    (didn't it make you feel sort of sorry to abandon your country in such a critical moment? will there be act II?)

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well, lets see if this is as good as prawnstars....

Kidding....

Ill be in the opposite of the shadows.
    I was fan of the week: 9/28/09

On semi-permanent hiatus until CK 2 arrives. Don't expect to see me on.

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” - Mark Twain

200k clubEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneLegio
    The Kings Crusade500k club

ENKHUUSH I hope you won't quit because of bored.

P.S: Currently I'm listening Strauss.

Werewolf Amateur and Diplomacy Beginner .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My AARs at ink well.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan11 View Post
    Ill be in the opposite of the shadows.
    The swodahs?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast