• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Warspite

Admiral of the Kings Fleet
62 Badges
Jan 3, 2001
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
This is the historical records of the rulers and people of Cambodia from 1404. I play EUII Very Hard/Furious with no forced annex. Depending on the quality of the monarch, I play the game accordingly. If the Monarch has poor stats in military, I make very poor military decisions in game. If he has poor Administration stats, I make very poor domestic decisions, however if he has good stats I make good decisions that I feel will improve her position in the game, etc etc. I basically role play the monarch based on their historical qualities to the best of my imagination in the game. Next, you can read this virtual history in full. I keep it short and sweet, no long details, just the basic results for each monarch’s reign. Enjoy!

1419 Cambodia is made up of two provinces surrounded by Muslims to the south, a powerful alliance of Ayyatthaya/Vientiane/Pegu/Taungu to the north and west and the Empire of Dai Viet to the east. (please check them out in the game to orient yourself with their starting positions) (Also please take a moment to study the real history of Cambodia and her people)

CHRONOLOGY OF CAMBODIAN MONARCHS
Game Stats are bold after Monarch in this order Admin/Diplo/Military

1404 Narayana 5-4-5
1429 Sedaiya 3-3-2
1444 Dharmara 6-5-3
1456 Ajarihda Period of Troubles 2-2-2
1486 Sukonthor 4-6-4
1512 Nay Kan 3-4-3
1516 Ang Chan 8-9-9
1566 Barom Reachea 3-4-4
1576 Chetthai 4-2-2
1596 Barom Reachea II 2-3-2
1598 Barom Reachea III 3-4-3
1600 Chao Ponhea Nhom 4-4-3
1603 Barom Reachea IV 2-2-3
1619 Chetthai II 3-3-3
Dec 1619 Fall to King of Dai Viet, beginning of Dark Age

For future reference I will label this style of AAR as a Monarch AAR because I play it based on each Monarch in the game.

Last edited:
The Kings Map in 1439

http://www.geocities.com/ramileous/index1.html?1032762232870

King Narayana 1404-1429
Narayana made great strides in opening up new trade for his people and economy and led the conquest of DaLat from the King of Champa in 1422. Though he neglected the military he made up for his defense with an alliance with DaiViet in 1425. In 1428 another invasion into Champa succeeded but the King died before peace was made.

King Sedaiya 1429-1444

Though Sedaiya was King when Champa submitted to Cambodia, the real credit belongs to Narayana before him. As it turned out, King Sedaiya never would have had the ability to defeat Champa like Narayana did. He totally reversed the economic reforms, halting most trade into Cambodia leaving many of his own people to starve. He placed more taxes on the people and neglected the military to the point that half the army left due to lack of provisions. He destroyed the small Navy Narayana had built and ignored foreign relations causing dangerous consequences. By 1431 revolts began to spring up within the realm and the meager army was barely able to contain them.

From 1431 to 1444 civil war drained an already strained and weak economy. Around this same period Muslim Kings from Atjeh and Brunei in the south invaded Cambodia and her vassal Champa in hopes of taking advantage of the situation. The only reason Cambodia did not fall was because the Muslims could not transport enough troops by sea. With far less numbers of men, the Muslims still occupied much of the Kingdom of Cambodia from 1436 to 1445. King Sedaiya lost the trust of Dai Viet and the alliance there was ended. Sedaiya also being a stubborn man refused to join with Ayatthaya’s alliance for help. Much of the progress and riches Cambodia had built up had now been squandered in his fifteen-year reign.

Last edited:
What an interesting approach to gameplay! :cool:

Exactly how do you simulate the mad diplomacy and the erosion of the army and navy? Do you send out insults and pile the forces up and let them attrition themselves; or do you just fail to do any diplomacy at all and gradually disband the forces?

Dharmarajadhiraja should get you back on track a bit, and I can hardly wait until we get to Ang Chan I. ;) Now that will be a real ride! (Of course the 150+ years after that might be a little...err...umm...disappointing :( )

Looking forward to this.

Thank God! somebody actually read this and noticed what I was doing. Thanks MrT for checking this out, what do you think of my makeshift map to replace the game map? I use it to sort of remove the feel of "this is a game" and try to give the reader a chance to imagine more.

Now that I have a reader, I will continue, I was about to axe the whole thing, thanks for saving it MrT.;)

Originally posted by Prufrock451
Hey, I read it!

As for the makeshift map- I like it. I did the same thing with my Sibir AAR (see the last page, the post "Artifacts...") It does add something.

Thanks Prufrock for the read, I am glad you like it. I just took a peek at your Sibir AAR and the maps are very cool. I did mine in MS Paint, just something simple because I cant find a background to use. I wanted to find a background like an old scroll to impose the map on, but alas we have to do with a modern white computer background for now :D

I'm reading too, Mr. Warspite!

We need more, you know... :D

King Dharmara 1444-1456

King Dharmara was a very short man. He became famous with his subjects because of his high pitch laugh. He was generous yet firm in his rule. Perhaps his passion in his reign came from personal insecurities; he was however a huge improvement over the last leader Cambodia endured. It would be a shame how his leadership would end considering it started so well.

Dharmara set about improving Cambodia’s trade by re-opening the merchant routes with Malacca after ending the wars against the Muslim nations. Ironically, he disliked military and war issues and so he was quick to end any war with the Muslims. For protection he aligned Cambodia with the Ayutthaya alliance which involved almost every non-Muslim nation in the region. What that alliance eventually led to was a massive regional war against Muslim states in 1448. The King had very good government policies yet he neglected the military for the most part. In his first years of power he was able to stabilize any unrest in the country. The economy made a great comeback thanks much to the Ivory trade from Khmer provinces and the increase of Timber and Naval supplies from Cambodia. Cambodia became known as the naval supply center for the region at one point.

Dharmara had made good efforts to bring Cambodia on a productive path. However he could not avoid the terrible bloodbath that would eventually result from the Great War. War engulfed almost every nation in Southeast Asia in 1448. Cambodia began to raise peasant armies yet Dharmara did little to supply them. From Malacca to Arakan, the Cambodian army marched to help the alliance. After more than 50,000 casualties the people began to lose faith in Dharmara who was unable to find peace.

By 1455 internal rebellions had gotten out of hand. Dharmara could not build an army strong enough to fight rebels and in 1456 Angkor was rampaged. The King and his family were murdered despite his last act of ending Cambodia’s involvement in the wars. The hope Cambodia once had for prosperity had vanished quickly, the coming years would be dark and full of troubles. The Government had fallen and rebel factions now took control of a torn and exhausted Kingdom, the alliance Dharmara made to protect his Kingdom, had ultimately destroyed it.

Ajarihda Period 1456-86
Cambodia began to slip into a dark period of obscurity after the death of her royal family. Rebel warlords and Noble factions began to battle over territory. The economy became fractionated between provisional lords. The Ivory trade of Khmer was lost as King Lim broke from Cambodia and formed the separate Kingdom of Khmer. The King of Champa also stopped paying tribute to Cambodia and eventually took the DaLat region back from her former overlords.

Cambodia at this time had no standing army, no navy, no leader, and no capital. It was a country in Chaos. The Muslims of Malacca invaded the country, followed soon after by the Laotian peoples of Vientiane invading from the north to attempt to gain control of the once rich Cambodia. Many other nations did not want Cambodia falling into enemy hands so brutal wars were fought leaving Cambodia a wasteland. Invaders would come, take what they could in riches and then leave.

Nobles attempted to regain control of the country. In 1464 a noble named Ajarihda took an army and dominated the country. He led an invasion into Khmer and forced King Lim to pay tribute to him. This fueled his next invasion of Champa in the wake of DaiViet’s war there. After forcing Champa to pay tribute Ajarihda returned to Angkor and re-established it as capital of Cambodia. He claimed himself King yet lords refused to accept him as such. Thus the 1470s saw nothing but rebellions, bankruptcy and tears as Ajarihda struggled to retain power in Cambodia. Countless thousands of people died and the isolated country would wallow in seemingly endless, brutal chaos until 1486.

Last edited:
Sorry about that MrT, i was so excited that somebody read and posted to my newest AAR that I plum forgot to answer your question. First off, I rather feel like a newbie with this AAR, judging by the quality of writing from newer writers on the forum, I hope I can live up to their standard;)

Now, to your very important questions regarding how I play and negotiate this game/AAR.

In most past AARs I have done, I do random events using dice rolls (then activate event codes) to put a more random feel to the game. Not so with this AAR. It is completely hands off, meaning I let it play out without any events of my own doing. Yes my strategy in playing differs with each monarch as I stated before. However there is no funny business done to manipulate the game the way I want it, I just play it out, be it good or bad.

Now, when it comes to the AAR portion, you are going to read some funky stuff, Like that Ajarihda Period and no leader business. My AAR is written with much imagination apart from the actual game played. This is to simulate a hint of realism in the history of it.

If I roleplay a bad monarch, yes I will do very foolish things willingly such as letting my navy die at sea, or armies die of attrition, fail to trade, adjust religion sliders in foolish ways, spend money rediculously. Ill roleplay the mind of a stupid leader, imagine myself in his shoes and find myself making mistakes like a Pinochet, Castro, Nixon etc etc I hope you get the idea of what I mean.

Hey Bruce thanks for reading it, I have to say playing the game this way is a blast, writing the AAR is equally as challenging. Enjoy.

Last edited:
And now you've gone and deleted my post! LOL! :p

...but thanks for answering. :)

I am really looking forward to seeing how you go about doing this since it will make for a highly a-typical game.

Wow. I think this might be the first time I've seen an AAR writer deliberately roleplay stupidity! :D

Usually, it's way too easy to play the smart guy looking over the idiot's shoulder. "Luckily, I managed to talk him out of releasing France as a vassal and then declaring war against it the next month."

You're a braver man than I. *salute* I applaud your sacrifice in the name of integrity.

MrT- I thought I had done it all with this game, playing this way opens up new grounds for me. I cant wait to finish Cambodia and play a game as Venice this way. Very enjoyable.

Prufrock- I think I have the bad monarchs down pat, its roleplaying the good monarchs that has me nervous:D I have decided also to stop looking to the future to see what kind of leader I play next.

The fun is the surprise of it all, to roleplay the current monarch then SUPRISE!! you have a good monarch to try and pick up the pieces of your mess, or a so-so monarch, geez now how do I play this out? Imagination is a beautiful thing:p

Danger Will!

What will you do if you get a monarch with really crappy stats and then, during his reign, you get a leader with amazing stats? Probably won't happen in this game, but it might with another country. Do you go completely psycho or what? :D

Re: Danger Will!

Originally posted by MrT
What will you do if you get a monarch with really crappy stats and then, during his reign, you get a leader with amazing stats? Probably won't happen in this game, but it might with another country. Do you go completely psycho or what? :D

OOOhhh thats a good point, I hadnt thought about that. And what if lets say I have a bad monarch who gets in a royal marriage with a country that has a really really good monarch, could some of that goodness rub off on him (literally:D ) or if a good monarch of mine marries some bitch daughter of a jerk monarch.

The tough part is I want to play the game always doing the best thing to advance my position. I am use to winning in all my games because the game is easy now. However that is the challenge of playing this way. I get to lose while roleplaying, its interesting, and I can have an excuse for losing too. I still get my own results and the challenge is far greater. Im tired of doing so good in my games all the time:D

Thanks again chris, Ill update again soon.

Re: Re: Danger Will!

Originally posted by Warspite
OOOhhh thats a good point, I hadnt thought about that. And what if lets say I have a bad monarch who gets in a royal marriage with a country that has a really really good monarch, could some of that goodness rub off on him (literally:D ) or if a good monarch of mine marries some bitch daughter of a jerk monarch.
Now that's starting to sound a lot like the framework of a game...hmmm, let's call it CK. :)

the more I think about it the more fascinating an idea this is...now I think I'm just going to have to try playing a game using this style.

Warspite,

I like that idea of playing bad leaders badly and might have to try it some day. But a few bad leaders and a small country would be no more. You are a brave man!

Originally posted by Stroph1
Warspite,

I like that idea of playing bad leaders badly and might have to try it some day. But a few bad leaders and a small country would be no more. You are a brave man!
LOL! Hey Stroph1, have a look at the monarch.cam file in the /db/monarchs folder. Scroll down a little way... :)

I hope Warspite hasn't been peeking. Hee Hee! :D

:D :D

I like the idea for this AAR, but following Mr. T:s advice makes me wonder whether you will have to change your definition of 'bad stats' during the game.

Kinda bump it down a few notches, as one might say ;)

But don't worry, after Ang Chan I (excellent monarch) you will get both Ang Eng and Ang Chan II as good monarchs, but it might take a while:p

I like the map, BTW, very nice touch.