• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
RGB - Yeah, Noble Opposition can be painful. BTW, how is mod conversion for your Russian AAR going?

blsteen, asd21593 - Well, main rebel threat (Noble Oposition) was eliminated for now, but I got other problems.

Hister, Vesimir, tuore - Yep, i`m using kingdom of Makuria from Broken Crescent for now, but if I manage to modernize I might create some gunpowder era Malian units. :)

This continues to be a great AAR. Congratulations on riding out a very nasty revolt - are you ready to consider expanding again?

i love noble revolts, they add so much to the gameplay; yours seemed to have been particularly nasty (i'm curious of the income graph for the period), you punished the ringleaders i presume (does it shift sliders?)

i wonder what kind of Mansa Mahmud II will be after such welcome ;)

again, incredibly detailed map, with rebel-attacked brovinces marked by cities ablaze - simply outstanding!

I'm not the only one plagued by rebels... :D

i love noble revolts...

Out of context it sounds like a demented king... Bring them on! I'll have them decapitated in time for breakfast! :rofl:

*picks up jaw from floor*
This really looks quite ok :p

While I can't support your treatment of the proud Ashanti people, I wish you the best of luck. Africans are already painful in vanilla, I can only guess how bad it must be in MMP.

RGB - Yeah, Noble Opposition can be painful. BTW, how is mod conversion for your Russian AAR going?

It was going rather well, until HTTT came out, actually...

HTTT makes my mad mod CTD when loading provinces. I have to figure out why. If you have any ideas, pelase let me know.

new_logo.gif

Chapter VIII - Mahmud II (1455-1488)

Part 2

Massive influx of people to the cities, which occurred during late stages of civil war, caused whole new series of troubles. Lack of shelter and food led to many deaths, and after short time - to quarrel and violence with previous inhabitants. Despite army intervention, most of these people refused to return to their home provinces. Thus, Mahmud II decided to personally take care about this issue, and use this opportunity to free himself from influence of his advisers. By using his financial reserves, and bureaucracy, Mansa supported build-up of cities, which gradually led to improvement of tense situation.

MansawNianni-1.gif

Mansa Mahmud II with his entourage on central plaza of Niani. Newly built mosque can be seen in the background.

With the passage of years immigrants begun to accustom to life in new environment. Many of them found work as labourers at many constructions of state financed buildings. One of the most spectacular heritage left by Mahmud II was construction of several grand mosques, like in Jenne, Niani, Kano or Gobir. Others found occupation as servants for merchants, clergy, and state officials, or tried their luck at craftsmanship. Growth of cities accelerated natural evolution of social structure to a large degree. Importance of traditional tribal ties was fading gradually, replaced by new, hierarchical structure with various castes. These new social groups consisted of people sharing similar occupation, as well as political and economical influences. Even though castes were rather hermetical, and social advancement was difficult, this new specialization brought many benefits, such as development of crafts, trade, or science.

new_cav-1.gif

Guard cavalry on their way to imperial palace in Niani

Mansa used period of revival of cities and trade to finance some changes in army. By huge expense, he imported armament and horses from Maghreb, to equip additional several thousands of bodyguard heavy cavalrymen. These elite and loyal troops not only were often decisive factor on the battlefield, but also were able to travel through vast territory of empire much faster. Weapons and armour of 'sofa' slave troops was also improved, and newly organised urban militias became new component of Malian army, after 'sofa', bodyguards, and peasant levies.

religious1488-1.gif

Religious map of Mali in year 1488.

Civil war, which turned into conflict between Muslims and Fetishists by a large degree, had significant impact on religious patterns of Mali. Large causalities among supporters of rebellious oligarchs, repressions, as well as economical and political benefits of being Muslim, greatly increased influences of Islam - especially among aristocracy and townspeople. By 1488, pagans were majority only in Ashanti province of Kumasi. Everywhere else people faithful to old beliefs were oppressed minority, mostly from lower classes.

income-1.gif

Estimated income throughout 15th century. Growing influence of merchants caused some hostilities in 1480s, but this problem was quickly solved.

When Mahmud II took throne in year 1455 he had to deal with very dangerous rebellion. However, thanks to decisive victory, and subsequent policy of reconstruction, he greatly strengthened his authority. Despite Rapid development of cities and revival of trade during 33 years of his reign, left prosperous and stable empire to his successor. Yet, his son Wati would have to deal with dangerous threat, that would come from quite unexpected direction.

VascoDeGamaShip-1.jpg

Portuguese caravel, late 15th century.

Deeds:

- Victory over oligarchs during civil war
- Growth of cites
- Continuation of conversion policy, construction of many mosques
- Advancement from tribal to hierarchical society

It was going rather well, until HTTT came out, actually...

HTTT makes my mad mod CTD when loading provinces. I have to figure out why. If you have any ideas, pelase let me know.

Unfortunately I don`t have experience in map editing, and I didn`t buy HttT yet, so I can`t help you. (surely you checked out game logs?).

merrick - Well, right now (1488) Mali empire is nicely consolidated - so maybe yeah. :)

gabor - what`s worse, I got 'societal change' right after noble opposition.

Issac Wolfe, aldriq, Babington-Smyth, LOka - thanks

Enewald - yep, why not. :)

Starfury - overall it`s more difficult, but not so bad.

Sorry for delay, and fact that there`s not so much action in this update. However, I reached quite important milestone in modernisation process, which can be seen here:

Clipboard01-2.gif

Yeah, I got rid of quite painful modifier and received something less harsh. Right now my techs costs dropped from 275% to 225% (0,44 research rate of European states).

Also, peek at Europe in 1488. Despite 1399 start date, things went quite historically:

europa1488.gif

I`ve looked into save file, and 7 great powers are:

1.Ottoman Empire
2.England
3.France
4.Austria
5.Castille
6.Muscovy
7.Kazan (not sure why, maybe some recent huge army buildup?)

Until next time :)

1. Portugal, the nosy bastards.
2. I love the income graph. Nice adaptation of in-game graphics.
3. Conversion progress, good.
4. The TW graphics, are those Vanilla or some mod?
5. VERY historical map, nice to see.
6. Working on that map mod, some of the answers I got may be what I need.