• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

WeissRaben

Gian Galeazzo Visconti #1 Fanboy.
91 Badges
Sep 29, 2008
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Victoria 2
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
So...here it is the first FtG Succession Game. We will play as Aragon, with a twist: no Spain, no colonization and slider all the way to Land. In the end, boats are useless...leave them to the Castillans!

Roster:
1) WeissRaben
2) BananaSplit
3) Tobit
4) AllmyJames

Roster still open for anyone to join, of course.

Game settings:
Mod: AGCEEP
Difficulty: Normal/Weakling
Specific AGCEEP settings on: KoI, KoG, crusader events, random event choices

Other rules:
- 24h to confirm the presence, and 72 to play, post the report and upload the save;
- 20 years per turn;
- Badboy under 15-20, if possible;
- Inflation under 15%;
- Land slider must be moved all the way to Land. We do not need boats!
- No colonization;
- No Spain;
- Major goals must be discussed here. NO EXCEPTIONS. :3

So then...here we go. :3

Last edited:
Chapter I​
Where King Alfons V's fishing boat gets Tipped Over by a Most Malignant wave, and the Glorious Monarch vows to make Aragon a Great Land Power.

There were few ways to enrage the King; but of these, the most terrible was absolutely interrupting him while fishing.
The wave came and went, leaving the boat flipped, the Glorious Monarch wet, and his most beautyful fishing rod nowhere to be seen.

He stared at the blue surface, shocked, for a moment; then, screaming against that horrible fluid that ate his precious rod, he cursed it. Aragon would have never relied on it again.
This happened on August 1418: nothing special would have happened for 5 months. Then, on January 1st...

----------------------------------------------​

arag20091208150524.jpg

arag20091208150535.jpg

This is Aragon on January 1st 1419. Nothing special (though we DO have Italian as an accepted culture, so that could be an idea...later), I start moving the slider 1 towards Innovativeness...we are surrounded by strong neighbours, and a fast teching is a must; the I start build Tax Collectors in the richest provinces, which are Aragon, Valencia, Sicily and Messina.
I enter an alliance with Castile, mainly because of the Roussillon French core...and without a sure HYW (random choices) France could end up not being that beaten up in the near future (there is Corsica, which is a non-factor though).
Of course, Castile has to conquer every african province in sight, and so he DoWs Morocco FOUR DAYS AFTER GAME START. I follow.

arag20091208150909.jpg

arag20091208151013.jpg

The war is quite boring, and it ends with a misclick that leaves me with three African provinces...but this situation will solve itself quite soon.
Meanwhile we help the Neapolitans in some succession crisis...our stability increases, but France isn't happy. Ouch.

arag20091208151420.jpg

As the war reaches its conclusion in September 1422, we build a Tax Collector in Roussillon. And then...

arag20091208152023.jpg

arag20091208152219.jpg

...not only we get three useless provinces, but the Neapolitans betray us for the French. Bah.

After that, in 1423 we get to choose whether to support the antiPope, or legitimate Martinus. We go for the peaceful choice.

arag20091208152336.jpg

During the war we got an alliance with Portugal; sure as hell, at the end of 1423 they DoW Tlemcen.
We beat their navies, destroy their armies (more or less), and we get this:

arag20091208153157.jpg

We oblige.

Then, a LOT of peace happens. For 4 years nothing happens, apart from a little revolt in Tangiers; in January 1429 we move again to Innovativeness, in December we get Infra tech 2, and Land tech in April 1431.
We enter some RM, in order to get some good relations; then, a revolt starts in Toubkhal. I do not lift a finger to stop it: in 5 years we well have "lost" the two Saharian provinces. We keet Tangiers though, which with Gibraltar could be strategically interesting.

eu220091211075237.png

Back to businness...Corsica revolts against us and joins Genoa. Meh.

eu220091211075839.png

eu220091211080014.png

We do not risk bankruptcy, but taking a loan just for an event seems to me...eccessive. We get the relations boost with Genoa and this is it.

After this, in 1435, a series of events related to Naples hits us. Relations with France drop horribly.

eu220091211080042.png

eu220091211080056.png

The alliance with Castile ends, and it won't join ours anymore: we invite the Pope, who maybe could get in some Italian Wars. Who knows?
And, just some time before the end of the turn, Castile annexes Navarre.

eu220091211080951.png

But guess what? Castile DoWs Foix, France obliges. Someone would like to backstab the Boat People? 8D

eu220091211081018.png

eu220091211081102.png

And this is all, my friends. The save:

ONLY THE ONES WHO MUST PLAY. Please.

Aragon as a land power...interesting. At first I thought you said "no boats" and I was wondering how you would deal with all the islands in the Med. It will be hard to keep Castile from becoming Spain, but good luck! :)

Looking good thus far although I guess you should be worried about the Castilians getting too greedy and casting their eyes in your direction. Kind of amusing to see a misclick result in the control of half of Morocco.

Thanks, Duke. Aaaand...I know. That was the meaning of the alliance...now, we could strike. France is France, after all.
And, I let the moroccan provinces go, excluding Tangiers. Too much trouble, really.

Aragon as a land power...interesting. At first I thought you said "no boats" and I was wondering how you would deal with all the islands in the Med. It will be hard to keep Castile from becoming Spain, but good luck! :)

I'm looking at the event files. It isn't easy. çOç

Looking good. As I said, try to weaken Castille as soon as possible. Even if you have to mint a little bit, you should try. Use the plains of the coast Aragon to win warscore with all cavalry armies.:p

Good luck stopping Castile from becoming Spain. Only advice I have is to strike as soon as you can. :cool:

Joe

Well well well, this does look interesting with those house rules.

As you can see below we have a fairly good start with allies to our East and West as well as fairly good relations all round.

I start the game by altering the Domestic and Religious Policies. For the DP I increase Aristocracy to boost our Diplomacy score. For the religious policy I increase tolerance to Muslims at the cost of tolerance to Orthodoxy to reduce the revolt risk in Tangier.

As for the finances of our glorious realm, well I just keep to my predecessors plan of focusing on Land and Infrastructure.

I plan to spend the Diplomats gaining Royal Marriages to boost relations and I won't bother using the Merchants as they will cost more than they will earn.

Here we grant France Military Access for two reasons; firstly the only person they can reach through our territory is the treacherous Castile and secondly this stops them attacking us. :)

We declare war on Naples and Provence
During the War Naples falls with ease and we get a gift of 200 gold to help us on our way. The initial attack on Provence went less well and in hindsight was probably a foolish waste of resources...

Also, to add to our good fortune we get Naples as a Vassal and an Ally!
(However in order to avoid giving Apulia back to them I want to lose them as a vassal before 1458)

Following this more good luck arrives when France and Savoy attack Provence, destroying their army and allowing me to siege the City!

After checking that France does not have a Core on Provence I annex with glee as this terretory will be good for a huge number of reasons;
Now France will be left out of the Mediterranean
If we end up with Italy later on it will be all the easier to gain a landbridge to boost income their by 10%.
We can travel from Spain to Italy without running the risk of attrition
Provence has quite a high Income

After my wars we are left with a high badboy (8) and poor relations, fortunately having 100% tolerance for Catholics and a reasonable Diplomacy Score will mean that a moderate period of peace and stability will allow things to cool over....

Our Empire after the Aragon-Province Wars;

After the Papacy drags me into a war with Sienna and Tuscany I consider leaving the Alliance and joining up with England, a large power and also an enemy of France. In the end I put the idea to one side as I like to be the leader of alliances not a puppet...

And half way through my Reign I once again increase Aristocracy. :) Unfortunately our period of peace has a temporary set back when we invade Corsica...

A temporary decrease in admin gives us a permanent increase in diplomacy? Go for it!

As Portugal managed to capture the capital in the time it took to ship troops over from the newly captured Corsica we can't Vassalage our foe but have to settle for Corsica and a cash payment. We don't mind too much. ;)

The Empire at the end of our reign.

Lands Gained: Provence, Apulia, Corsica
Allies; Naples, Portugal, Papal States
Monthly income: 16.2 (+6%)
Census Tax: 94.19 (+30%)
Stability +2 (-1)
Badboy: 3.9 (+2.7)
Inflation 0.9 (+0)
Revolt Risk: Apulia, Provence and Tangier
Domestic Policy: Aristocracy +3 (10)
Technologies. Land 2, Navy 2, Trade 2, Infra 2
Investment: I my investment money of Land, Infra and Stability.
Officials: Tax collectors only, in all provinces.
Manufactories: None :(

Attached is the save. (Only for those playing please. :))

Attachments

• SGAragon2.zip
    485,2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
This looks interesting - a land-based Aragon. Bad luck with Navarre, well done with Provence and Naples. Italy seems like a good target to me, though it will mean tangling with France.

I've never played them before, but are there any spots still open? If so, I'd like to sign up.

This looks interesting - a land-based Aragon. Bad luck with Navarre, well done with Provence and Naples. Italy seems like a good target to me, though it will mean tangling with France.

I've never played them before, but are there any spots still open? If so, I'd like to sign up.

But of course, my good man! *adds to the roster*

Good job with Corsica, Banana. Still I don't like aristocracy...it means more work later to lower it. XD

Yeah? I suppose so, but I like the diplo bonus.

Also should we discuss strategy here or on the MP thread, as I have a few topics I thought I would bring up...

If you want to keep it between you three (or four now apparently) then I suggest you do it in the MP thread and keep this thread for AAR entertainment only.

CHAPTER 3

Eh, not much civil war, getting warm to EU2 again etc.

Ok so I have to say I have played this game quite a bit. Yet I am a consistent "turtle" when it comes to this and most other strategy games. So rapid conquests and even aggressive actions when I am not assured victory are very rare for me. I came into this game hoping to shed that turtle shell and be more aggressive.

I loaded up the save and at first I was very pleased. No inflation, no bad boy, everything was cool. I was paralyzed by my position. Playing in SG game is quite different than a regular game, I needed time to gain my footing.

The event engine through me a curve ball though:
civilwar.jpg

Civil war among princes and cortes was what occurred in my country. This was quite a problem because I forgot I kept the soldiers at minimum upkeep. So after losing a few battles, and still not realizing the upkeep problem, I order my troops to simply avoid the rebels and instead siege behind them. I had revolts in every part of the empire to deal with so I basically didn't attack anyone.

teutonicvassal.jpg

The Teutonic Order vassalized Crimea. That was very odd, cause Crimea was territorially whole. It seems like TO and their ally Lithuania beat Crimea pretty thoroughly, to bad the Crimea broke the vassalage a month after.

WarwithGranada.jpg

I finally declared war, thanks to the persuasion of the event engine. I got that "Claim on the Throne" event the one with -2 BB -150 gold and 7,000 troops event. Usually I ignore these events because 150 gold is expensive, and it's totally random who you war against. This time it was Granada, and I had 158 gold on hand. So what the heck, right?

What sucked was at this time Castille and France went to war for and Castile was plague with a huge amount of rebels. Was this a missed opportunity?

War with Granada brought Tunisia and the Mamluks into war with me as well. War with them was pretty defensive. Take Malta for instance: the Tunisians land 2,000 troops on it. I go in with the Army to take those guys out. I land, and get beaten yet I kill all of the Tunisians. As my army retreats, the Mamluk fleet attacks mine beating them. The retreat of my soldiers was interrupted and I was sure they were going to die, like in HOI2. :eek: I turn my fleet back to the Malta sea province as soon as the coward admiral decides to stop retreating. Luckily the majority of the Mamluk fleet left, so my large fleet is victorious.

BUT THE MEN WON'T GET ON THE SHIPS!!!
unabletogettotheboat.jpg

I immediately save and reload, and to my relief the men are safely on the ships like they should be (or shouldn't be?) Any ways I had to reload guys sorry.

The war with Granada was long one, I eventually attempted to capture Alexandria and beat the Mamluks. I did, but then their army of 25,000 showed up and I had to leave.

The war ended with my conquest of Gibraltar. That was the only war I fought in my turn. However I was still productive:
artshopandrefinery.jpg

that's a refinery and a stability factory or arts thingy, whatever. I got the Refinery through a Ingenious discovery event.
:):)I love that event.

I had the events that made it possible for the Marriage of Isabelle and Ferdinando. I went with denying the couple each time. Including the loves prevails event choice. I also did not cede Rousillon or Gibraltar when I was asked. This is a Land Aragon Game with Random Event Choices, which means more Land, and more Random Event Choices. I consequently alienated both France and Castile (which is now Spain).

My turn kind of petered out with the excitement of Arabs and Noble killing over. So here are the sliders. I continued to move towards Innovative (I got a artist event that I spent money to move innovative), moved towards Serfdom (stability), and centralization (production and tech). I like the idea of all sliders on the right, but we can discuss that of course.
sliders.jpg

Here's the world at the end of my turn:
albaniagoneberser.jpg

giant Albania with vassals.

OddNorthernFrance.jpg

Crazy northern france, 2 Irish states, Norway, Spain, England, weak Burgundy, Brabant, giant Friesland. I think this is especially good for us, France will hopefully never grow to big with the anarchy it has to deal with in the north. It will also distract the Spanish.

To Conclude:
I felt I could have expanded more. However I remembered, we are in this until 1820! We don't necessarily need to conquer non stop. I think our goal still should be to create an awesome Empire perhaps encompassing Western Europe and the Middle East. But that can wait...

Looks cool, don't worry about the reload, its ok if the is a bug! Also I am glad you got Gibraltar, all we need now is Murcia and we can dominate the western med... Also the extra stability and income from those manufacturies should be useful. :)

Last edited:
Looking pretty good. I think grabbing Gibraltar before the Castillians get to it was a good move. No other gains against the Tunisians/Mamluks?

Too bad we alienated France, but too right not to give them our precious provinces! I was hoping to enlist their help against Castile...

...And talking of which, we'll have to hit them soon, or we're going to be in big trouble.

All in all, a decent turn. Those revolt events were nasty, and we increased our hold on the Med. Big well done on those two refineries too!

Chapter 4, part 1 (1480-1490)

Since this turn is quite involved, I'm going to split it into two parts, each covering 10 years.

Chapter 4 – Part 1 (1480-1490)

As the year 1480 dawns, Aragon is in a good position. The civil war is over, we have provinces in France, Italy and North Africa, and a decent income.

ScreenSave0.jpg

Our foreign relations are mixed. Most Christian countries like us, but our two big neighbours, Castile (now calling itself the Kingdom of Spain) and France, dislike us intensely; relations are at -180 with both.

ScreenSave4.jpg

Luckily, we have a strong alliance of Portugal, Naples and His Holiness the Pope. This should ensure that our interests in Iberia and Italy are protected. Since our BB rating is at 0, there is little chance anyone will attack us randomly. We just have to watch out for Spain, who has cores on us, and an army of around 95,000! Our own army consists of a small cavalry force (5,000) in Sicily. We do have a good leader in the form of our king, Ferdinand II.

ScreenSave6.jpg

Basic statistics in 1480:
Land 4
Naval 2
Stability 2
Trade 2
Infrastructure 3
Manufactories 2 (1 refinery, 1 fine arts academy)
Inflation 0%
Badboy 0/43
Loans – 200d due in May 1480
Navy – 2 ships, 7 galleys, 4 transports
Army – 5,000 cavalry

ScreenSave1.jpg

My priorities for this turn were to vassalise Naples, which is our gateway to the rest of Italy, and, if possible to take Spain down a peg or two before they sail westwards to the New World.

With that in mind, I begin by arranging a royal marriage with Naples.

ScreenSave7.jpg

And also with Portugal, who will be a valuable ally if war with Spain breaks out.

ScreenSave8.jpg

I also begin raising an army on the mainland, since the 90-odd-thousand Spanish armies could crush us like a bug if they so chose. The rest of 1480 passes without much incident. I arrange a royal marriage with another Italian minor, Sienna, which has granted us military access at some point in the past.

To kick off the new year, Granada, obviously having a death wish, declares war on Spain:

ScreenSave11.jpg

And although we have no casus belli, I decide to join in. If possible, I want to prevent Spain getting the province, and annexing it for us instead. The -2 stability hit is worth it. Since we have King Ferdinand as a leader, he should be able to steal the siege for us (Spain is led by Queen Isabella, so no chance of them having a higher-ranking leader). King Ferdinand sails from Sicily to take command of the Spanish siege.

The people back home obviously miss him, however, as a revolt breaks out right away, plunging us back down to -3 stability, and causing trouble in the Pyrenees as I try to dislodge the rebels, without success.

ScreenSave15.jpg

Nevertheless, the siege goes well until, the next year, the citizens of Granada lead a revolt against us, and the mob succeeds where the Granadan armies failed. The Spanish armies and ours are driven from the province.

ScreenSave17.jpg

Emboldened by this, the cheeky Granadans demand tribute from us for peace!

ScreenSave22.jpg

Our land tech improves to 3 in this year, but I still can’t beat the rebels in Gerona, and end up fighting them on the plains of Catalonia instead. The rebellion lasts until September 1483.

In Foix, a rebellion causes the government to fall, and the new king decides to call himself King of Navarre instead. I arrange a royal marriage with them, but they join England’s alliance.

Meanwhile, in Granada, the sultan has been overthrown, and a peace treaty signed with Spain and us. Back to square 1. Then a second revolt breaks out, and another revolution seems likely.

ScreenSave36.jpg

I try to vassilize Naples in February 1483, but they decline. And again in March.

ScreenSave26.jpg

In September, another assassination occurs, and we lose Tangiers to the rebels.

ScreenSave29.jpg

I wait until they move on into Fez and siege the empty province. The Granadan rebels break the government for a second time in 1484, and move on to try and liberate Gibraltar.

ScreenSave34.jpg

In 1485, while I’m still dealing with the rebels in the pillars of Hercules, I get the option to try to reign in the merchant princes. It’s a tricky decision, as I can gain centralisation (good) but gain mercantilism (bad) and lose aristocracy (bad) for the cost of -2 stability. I choose to ignore, and take the centralisation and mercantilism hits. Stability is too low to take that hit right now.

ScreenSave40.jpg

Later the same year, Spain DOW’s Granada, breaking the truce early. I’m too busy fighting rebels in Gibraltar to do anything, and they annex Granada in 1486. Importantly, however, Spain is still at war with Tlemcen, which has control of Northwest Africa.

ScreenSave42.jpg

Naples rejects my third attempt to vassilize them in 1485. I try again at the end of 1486, and again they refuse, as does Portugal, in 1487.

Buoyed up by a diplomatic event, I try Naples for the fifth time in February 1488, but again they decline.

Turning my attention back west, I notice that by March 1488, Spain has most its armies in North Africa (still fighting Tlemcen), where they are dying in the deserts from huge attrition. I’ve finally got the rebels under control, and this could be our best chance. So I start minting a little money, raise some more armies, and in March 1488, declare war on Spain!

ScreenSave57.jpg

Thankfully my allies, especially Portugal, honour the call. Since Portugal has provinces on the Algerian coast, this only serves to keep Spain distracted in that region.

My plan was to use our navy to block the straight of Gibraltar, and strand most of the Spanish army in Morocco. That doesn’t exactly go according to plan, and our navy is sent packing early in the war.

ScreenSave60.jpg

On land, I begin by sending armies to Toledo (the Spanish capital), Murica and Navarre. There is only a small Spanish army in Cantabria. But the defeat of our navy allows them to land 10k in Andalusia. In July, Murica falls to us, and we have yet to fight a land battle!

ScreenSave61.jpg

I move that army to Granada, and while Spain lays siege to Tangiers, they continue to leave their 15k army in Andalusia without confronting me.

In January 1489, Spain makes peace with Tlemcen in exchange for Fez. Now I am worried their armies will return to the mainland. But instead they continue to siege Tangiers and Portugal’s cities in North Africa.

We take Toledo in the same month, and Spain sends a pathetic offer of ducats for peace.

ScreenSave65.jpg

King Ferdinand himself then leads our main army into Andalusia to fight the main Spanish army in Iberia. We win handily, and siege that province also. Portugal helps us to siege Estramunda.

ScreenSave67.jpg

Navarra (the province not the kingdom) falls in March 1489, and we continue into the forests of Cantabria. The Spanish have regrouped in Leon, and stand idly by while we siege both Cantabria and Asturias.

ScreenSave70.jpg

In May we capture both Estramunda and Granada. Andalusia has a small fortress and takes a little longer.

ScreenSave75.jpg

Spain now offers us two provinces for peace, but I sense we have them on the ropes, and I decline.

ScreenSave78.jpg

In November I choose to move the slider towards centralisation.

A revolt in Asturias sets us back a little, but we capture Cantabria in December, and King Ferdinand fights the big Spanish army in Estramunda, beating it and sending them back to Leon. We follow them.

ScreenSave84.jpg

We beat them there as well, and Castile falls just before Christmas.

Our armies are inspired to continue by the great literary work by Tirant lo Blanc. The stability bonus is much-needed.

ScreenSave92.jpg

Portugal makes peace in March 1490. Spain might finally ship those North African troops home now, but it will be too late. The Aragonese flag now flys over nearly all their cities!

Indeed, we take the small fortress in Andalusia in April

ScreenSave96.jpg

And the Spanish, with our warscore at 60%, make us a nice offer. Given that their are still armies in North Africa, and a large one cornered in Galicia, I take it. Five provinces, and the entire Eastern half of the peninsula are now ours!

ScreenSave98.jpg

Great job guys, especially that last war AllmyJames! Bold is good, especially now that Castile has become Spain. That cannot be allowed.

Note: The last post used far more than 20 screenshots. Please remember the rules on that posted in the intro thread stickied in this subforum.

Great job guys, especially that last war AllmyJames! Bold is good, especially now that Castile has become Spain. That cannot be allowed.

Note: The last post used far more than 20 screenshots. Please remember the rules on that posted in the intro thread stickied in this subforum.

Sorry about that. Slipped my mind. Thanks for the reminder. Part two is quieter, in any case.