• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
let's just hope they didnt use a contemporary flag

edit:
yeah they did..
aolv0k.jpg

No they didn't, this is the contemporary flag:

200px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png

The one they used is actually the first flag of Romania (or the United Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia - Wiki), you can see it here from 1848:

Tricolore1848.jpg

So actually they were pretty accurate, more so than I expected. Well done Paradox!

Jerusalem sounds fun. :)

Is there any plan to add the other Crusader states in as releasable? And maybe there should also be a generic "Palestine" or "Kingdom of the Holy Land" or something: after all, what if an Orthodox country takes the Holy Land and wants to release it? Or if a Muslim country wants to release it?

Indeed. Something like Theodors, Kingdom of the Bosphorus or whatever. It always annoys me when Greece do spawn there...

And please P'dox, consider the United Belgian State thing. :)
You'll ever find reenactors and such typing "Etats Belgiques Unis" in google. And also, the declaration of independence...

By the way, Belgian States United would be the most exact translated name if included in game.
And IMHO, cores should include all Treaty of Arras Provinces, that is french low countries (Artois...) as well.

Is the patch out yet?

By the way, P'dox, here's a country that is frankly missing as a revolter or playable country in 1789-1790: United Belgian States, aka États Belgiques (when Belgique, ie Belgium in English, was an adjective) Unis: Conservative Revolution against Austrian reforms in order to protect the provinces rights.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/États_belgiques_unis

And in English: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_Belgium

It was the first incarnation of Belgium as a state, and as we have what if states (like Germany or Romania), why not include this one? It lasted only for a year, but had its constitution, armies, money...

Should appear or should be playable as a constitutionnal or noble republic, not revolutionnary one, as it was clearly a conservative revolution, not a "revolutionnary" one. Player should be able to form it too, playing Brabant, Flanders or republican Liege for instace as an unification if Netherlands exist.

What do you think about it?

I agree. And next to the united states of Belgium agrument there is also another argument.

In 1815, after the congress of Vienna, there was a lot of miscontent in the southern (belgian) parts of the Netherlands against the rule of Willem. There were religion, political and economical difference which led to the indepence in 1830, so it would make sence to add Belgium in Europa Universalis. The following provinces should be needed:

Vlaanderen
Antwerpen
Brabant
Hainaut
Liege
A part of Luxemburg (<-- that would have been completly Belgian, but after the truce with Netherland, Luxemburg remained in the hand of the Netherlands)

Missions like reconquering Luxemburg, Artois, Picardië and Calais would be fun too.

Indeed. It should also be noted that the recently added Romania did not exist back then, and I'm even not sure "Romanian idea" existed, whereas Belgium dates back to... when, you know who. ;)
And that since at least Charles V times, the area (including indeed Artois, Calais and such) was named Belgium (check old maps) and belgian (Belgique in French) was the adjective used to refer to the inhabitants of theses places, like Italian for those coming from a non-existing Italy.

Your call, P'dox...

Indeed. It should also be noted that the recently added Romania did not exist back then, and I'm even not sure "Romanian idea" existed, whereas Belgium dates back to... when, you know who. ;)
And that since at least Charles V times, the area (including indeed Artois, Calais and such) was named Belgium (check old maps) and belgian (Belgique in French) was the adjective used to refer to the inhabitants of theses places, like Italian for those coming from a non-existing Italy.

Your call, P'dox...

Belgica was a general term for the lowlands, and sometimes it referred not to current Belgium at all, but only to the United Provinces (more or less the present Netherlands).

See this map for example
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Belgica_Foederata_(1664).jpg

Yeah, I know, friends of mine gifted me an old lion-shapped map of Belgium in the old sense: lowcountries.
But if Netherlands is formed and/or only Flemish and wallonian provinces are owned, I think for the sake of historicity (see Union of Arras, United Belgian States) some sort of Belgium should be in. After all, we have Germany, Romania, Greece, HRE...

Shhh... Don't ever raise this issue! :D

My guess is: should be flemish, with accepted wallonian.

It is actually not difficult to implement it symmetrically. One way is the following.

1) create the files for the country and associate cores to the provinces;

2) create 2 decisions for the country, one to fire if the country does not accept culture B, has at least a core province of culture B and culture B makes up more than 5% of tax income, making B accepted, and vice versa.

So Belgium can come into play by revolt or liberation of a vassal, has the primary culture of whatever city is its capital, and automagically gets the other one accepted.

Last edited:
Interesting, but that looks more like a mod-like solution, not a thing Paradox would implement, like Romania, in the coming patch...

Your call, P'dox...

Actually the Romanian identity existed back since the start of the game atleast.

The only thing keeping the Romanian principalities from joining each other were foreign powers not wanting to have a stronger Romanian unified state next to them.

There was even a whole school of thought in Transylvania about a unified Romania in the 17 and 1800's.

In WWM I made it so that Romania does not need cores to form, like it should be. If Wallachia annexed Moldova and called itself Romania, there would be no problem at all, no revolts no nothing, because the Romanians were actually desperate to join each other.

Well, I must say I'm not the most competent personn regarding history of romanian national consciousness. I guess you are right. Haven't heard much about such national consciousness before XIXth Century, but indeed I'm way more familiar with belgian national consciousness (old sense i.e. Low Countries, as I'm from french Flanders, it's sort of my homeland).

Soooo, if newly implemented Romania did have national consciousness in HTTT time frame, it's another reason to implement a belgian state. All the more since it existed independently for a year before being crushed and that all in all, Austrian and Spanish Low countries were very autonomous. It was merely a personnal union rather than a foreign administration.