+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Heir to the Throne - Casus Belli Guide

200k clubDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rysz View Post
    I've already preordered. What more do you want me to do?
    Personal tithe to Johan?
    ENGLAND CONFIDES THAT EVERYMAN WILL DO HIS DUTY

And win the Hundred Years' War Scenario in In Nomine

What about a "raid" casus belli available to tribal states, allowing the demanding of money?

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Belegurt View Post
    i hated how hard was to get in wars before but now it seems that it will be too easy...

fabricate claims it's totally useless now
    They were violent centuries...

And fabricate claims has now another outcome, as it allows you to demand a personal union from the country you're addressing, so it'd be still useful.

Commander: Conquest of the Americas

Blog Entries
    Thx guys! Can't wait.

Written while reading:

- "Defected Province" kills Byzantine exploits and makes collapses a bit less spectacular provided your province escape to some smaller nations. Makes my job as an empire killer harder by a lot. I guess it had to be done. Bye bye Byzzies. :-|
    - "Cancelled Loan" - do AIs actually lend and borrow money now? If they don't, it's just a rarely used exploit allowing player to get a CB on his poor neighbour.
    - "Discovered Spy" - AI spied as mad in IN, does it mean I have a free CB on everyone disliking me now?
    - "Disloyal vassal" - Pretty standard. I guess it means there will be no more Provence fun.
    - "Imperial Liberation" - This is the hot stuff. Will make playing Austria or other German majors a whole ton better. I don't like HRE being canibalized too fast.
    - "Insult" - AI never DOW-ed unless they had a mission and advantage in forces and I was occupied with another war. Will be working fine only if AI is more aggressive and easier to provoke... which is also exploitable. Balance it carefully and we'll see.
    - "Claim on Throne" - something France and England will be doing on each other? Or just a general Royal Marriage CB route? If it's RM->CB thing I don't think people will use it much.
    - "Alliance" - free CB on someone your ally is fighting? Waited on this one since vanilla. Hot stuff as well. :-)
    - "Dishonoured Call" - Call me a wuss but I don't DoW my cowardly allies, just re-ally them since allies are so hard to come by in EU3 (usually takes years of bribing and fighting their wars to forge a good ally). I don't think it will be very useful.
    - "Conquest", "Subjugation" - Navarra, Scotland, Milan, Ireland and probably half the HRE will cry because of this. I like it, no more 30 BB before 1420 while doing Irish missions as England.
    - "Religious unity" - Another HRE thing, it's getting a lot of attention so I'm going to play Austria first. A Catholic Austria. Probably a great way to "farm" vassals this CB.
    - "Reconquest" - CB when they have my core. Always was there, always made me sell Rousillion. :-)
    - "Nationalism" - I wish it allowed to DoW everyone who has provinces with my Culture Group, not Culture. My Culture is usually united by 1450. I bet Italians, Persians and Russians will like it more than anyone else.
    - "Imperialism" - Free DoW on anyone with late Govs? Late games will be carnage!
    - "Revolutionary War" - I rarely play that long so all the rev. things I usually don't see. It's still good that Paradox go against our habits and work on late-game goodies to make us play longer campaigns. My typical EU3 game ended within a century, NA I played for two centuries very often, IN I usually play 300-350 years per a serious campaign. I hope HttT continues this trend and makes me play for another century.
    - "Colonialism" - this is hot stuff as well. No longer will darned Portugal colonize one province right in hte middle of my colonies and sit on it for ages cause I don't have BB to spare.
    - "Restoration of Union" - Lithuania/Sweden, we're coming for you!
    - "Liberation" - Bill of Rights will be a powerful thing to have with this thing, England will make sense again breaking up France. Same for Japan and Ming, and many other empire-breakers. I bet it will substitute our current rebel exploit. Good thing.
    - "Holy War", "Cleansing of Heresy" - I'm glad it's being nerfed, DoW-ing Marocco or Yemen to keep an union going was quite a stretch.
    - "Excomm. Ruler" - will be fun with new Curia which won't be based on bribery but piety. My Austria will be so pious that I will be excomm-ing left and right.
    - "Trade Dispute" - AI used to embergo left and right like there's no tomorrow, I hope it's not exploitable.
    - "Imperial Ban" - another killer CB for HRE. Emperor will be a lot more pushy now and I like it a lot.
    - "Violated sphere of influence" - no idea how it works but am really counting it will fix the map a bit so countries won't be stretching too long borders (for example Poland and Hungary often become "snakes" in IN).
    - "Dishonourable scum" - This replaces BB-wars. I like it's a CB now, not just a generic hard-coded decision to attack me. Still dangerous but with the amount of other CBs everyone around me will have on myself I doubt it will be a big game-changer.
    - "Colonial Conquest" - this will replace free of BB wars against Aztecs and Incas. They will cost something now but still will be quick and easy.
    - "Obscure Documents" - I agree Fabricate Claims will be useless now with so many other possibilities.
    - "Trade League Wars" - Venice or Genoa will be my 2nd game after Austria. :-)

Summarising - I don't think I will EVER run out of countries I can attack without much consequence with this new system. There always will be someone meddling into my affairs, not sharing my religion, holding my core or culture. Seriously, the way I see HttT now after reading this document is that it will be more HoI3-like with tons of new kinds of wars, most of them being empire-breaking reconquest/liberation jobs and I like it a lot.

On a sidenote, could someone please remind me what's Alexander Faehrus' forum nickname? :-)
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

51 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneWarlock 2: Wrath of the NagasEUIV: Art of War

Am I thinking right that when using a certain CB only those options listed in casus belli description are allowed in peace treaty? Or all options are allowed but with high infamy cost?

Not really a fascist brony monsterfurby's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Thanks Paradox, you just eliminated my one doubt about HTTT. I was afraid there might only be a handful of CB's and that's why none were listed in the manual - ah, how wrong I was!
    I really love the variety of CB's - looking forward to see how they play out in practice.
    Public Service Announcement:
    "...this is still a free country and anyone telling a
    fellow like me "brother you're full of ****" better be
    good and ready to answer politely when asked if he'd care
    to say why!"

So I guess the Alliance CB is kinda like a call to arms? Without the call part?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jalapen0 View Post
    So I guess the Alliance CB is kinda like a call to arms? Without the call part?
    Alliance is broken if not honoured right away so I see two ways of using it:

1. See someone at war you don't want him to lose.
    2. Offer alliance.
    3. DoW his opponent.

1. Be at war.
    2. Ally someone who is eager to fight your enemy.
    3. Wait for him to DoW and help you.

Third way would be using the save/load exploit to avoid call to arms but be able to join the war later.
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

'liberation' -> this one will be nasty , maybe easyer to stab-hit?
    'imperialism' ? -> l'etat c'est moi!
    'revolutionary war' -> maybe a valid reason to pick that idea , never picked it in IN

@ delra : i read culture group on nationalism
    this one will be widely used on germany/hre i guess

Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    King Arthur IINaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post

2. Offer alliance.
    3. DoW his opponent.

1. Be at war.

Third way would be using the save/load exploit to avoid call to arms but be able to join the war later.
    So it is a call-to-arms without the call. When you have alot of vassels and you respond to a warning or a HRE-call, they don't join automatically. This new CB will give the AI a choice to join. My real question however is: will they ever use it? Same as with loans.

2. Offer alliance.
    3. DoW his opponent.

1. Be at war.

Note that if you honor the call of an ally, your other allies will not be called in unless they were allied to your first ally. This gives them a chance to join as well.

Weapon of Mass Obstruction antracer's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: Revolutions

Blog Entries
    I look forward to being able to ferret out opportunities.

Getting into 'trouble' before was fun, but this...

It's like a DoW candy store...

So many flavors...

T
    clik» :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR: «clik
    Voted Favorite EU Gameplay AAR:AARland Choice AwAARds 2009 Q4:Thank You...!!!
    Game Called Due To Rain (Actually, the rain was my tears falling on the failed MB and HD...)
    ───────────
    Winning Team Member : Werewolf LXXXI : Apprentice Turned Cultist
    Winning Team Member: Werewolf LXXXII : Major of the Gestapo(seer)
    ───────────
    Warning: Poster is getting Old and Crotchety. Please take all posts with a grain of Salt Substitute...

- "Nationalism" - I wish it allowed to DoW everyone who has provinces with my Culture Group, not Culture. My Culture is usually united by 1450. I bet Italians, Persians and Russians will like it more than anyone else.
    It does say culture group

Weapon of Mass Obstruction antracer's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: Revolutions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maginor View Post
    Note that if you honor the call of an ally, your other allies will not be called in unless they were allied to your first ally. This gives them a chance to join as well.
    That's the way I read it. All those times an ally of mine got into war, or when I got into war with a mark by DoWing some distant relation...

Now those guys get a CB allowing them to 'volunteer' to help their allies.

Better hope you're ready for all your targets friends...

I'm curious as to the AI threshold of when they'll exercise this and when they won't. Is it strictly relation based? Is it tied to the 'trust us implicitly' or ???

T
    clik» :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR: «clik
    Voted Favorite EU Gameplay AAR:AARland Choice AwAARds 2009 Q4:Thank You...!!!
    Game Called Due To Rain (Actually, the rain was my tears falling on the failed MB and HD...)
    ───────────
    Winning Team Member : Werewolf LXXXI : Apprentice Turned Cultist
    Winning Team Member: Werewolf LXXXII : Major of the Gestapo(seer)
    ───────────
    Warning: Poster is getting Old and Crotchety. Please take all posts with a grain of Salt Substitute...

Sounds amazing, Johan.

Colonial wars are finally in! Yes!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maginor View Post
    It does say culture group
    I can blame that mistake on my enthusiasm. :-)

"Obscure Documents" sounds really, really, really overpowered. I could start with France and lead PUs with Castille and England within 10 years...

Other than that, they all sound great. Particlarly things like Colonialism

Quote Originally Posted by antracer View Post
    That's the way I read it. All those times an ally of mine got into war, or when I got into war with a mark by DoWing some distant relation...

Now those guys get a CB allowing them to 'volunteer' to help their allies.

Better hope you're ready for all your targets friends...

I'm curious as to the AI threshold of when they'll exercise this and when they won't. Is it strictly relation based? Is it tied to the 'trust us implicitly' or ???

T
    The twist is that those who join the war on an Alliance CB cannot take provinces in a peace process
    So if you join your ally in his war, you can only
    * release vassal
    * release country
    * reduce sphere
    * revocate cores, or
    * get gold

Or did I misread it?

Victoria 2

Nice!

To folks claiming that these CBs make the game more war-oriented: I don't think so. First of all, majority of these CBs are present in IN. Second: think of the typical situation, between similar neighbors (same religion, no cores on each-other, etc), it'll be still a challenge finding a low-infamy reason for war.

However, the mission-triggered CBs seem to be over the top:
    "- Sire, country X is declaring war on us!
    - Why?
    - Because God's will has been made clear to them!"
    Casus Belli is supposed to symbolize a justifiable, historically common reason for war. These "conquest" or "subjugation" CBs are just out of the blue. I know, the "border dispute" event is entirely random, too, but those cases were common, could be explained by unreliable maps. Now a country can suddenly feel the urge to conquer another and the whole world approves it a valid CB? 9/11 is way out of the game's timescale!
    In a democracy it's your vote that counts. In feudalism it's your count that votes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast