+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Heir to the Throne - Casus Belli Guide

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Heir to the Throne - Casus Belli Guide

Since casus belli is such a core concept to the game, Doomdark wrote a document on which different ones there is and how it works.
    Attached Files

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Pater Familias of WW-forum Rysz's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

More candy. Thnx!

I've already preordered. What more do you want me to do?
    WW-lite: Villager (22) Wolf (12) Seer (6). Of which; Draw (1), Eaten (11) as seer (3), Lost otherwise (5), Lynched as wolf (11), as villager (4), as seer (1)
    Won as villager in WWL LXXX: The Grey Coat, WWL XCIC: Snow Crash and WWL C: Code Geass. Won as seer in WWL LXXXIX: The Dark Knight and WWL CXXXI. Won as WOLF in WWL CLX

-------------
    WW: Wolf (4) Cultist (3) Hunter (2) Witness (2), Villager (3), Rival (1), Liar (1). Of which; Lynched as wolf (3), as cultist (2), as witness (2), Eaten as villager (1), as Liar (1), lost as rival (1)
    Subbing Winning Wolf in WW XXXVIII (Thistletooth), Subbed Winning Hunter in WW XXXIX: Cavemen (Olaus Petrus), Winning Cultist in WW XL
    Winning Hunter in WW XLIII: Escape from Monkey Island, Winning Cursed Seer's Apprentice in Ironhead's The Game of Werewolf (XLIX)

-------------
    Svenska Varulv: Bybor (1), Rival Kultist (1), en siare. Vann som en bybo i Varulv XIII, en siare i Varulv XV

I expect allot more wars when this is out.

I count 30

No no no no no
    No no no no no no no
    No no no no ...yes?

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

I have to finish my current HoI3 game, because HttT is going to make me on it for a few months... till Vicky2 release, maybe

It's amazing all those casus belli options!

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much

EDIT - Love the nationalism CB
    'What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust?

Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    SengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

i hated how hard was to get in wars before but now it seems that it will be too easy...

fabricate claims it's totally useless now

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

hmm we have a lot of casus bellis here

sadly 'holy war' isn't alvailable to eastern , like muslim vs hindu states in india , etc

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

You sure are hyping us for this expansion.

Wow. Simply wow.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Might have missed a dev diary, but for these CB:s to realy ,matter, I hope that non-CB landgrabs have been penalized more heavily then before i regards to BB (infamy), or that BB limit has been drasticaly reduced, or this CB:s are a bit wothless

Great to put this on-line.
    It's good to have an overview.

Were extra casi belli moddable?

Colonel
    A Game of DwarvesHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Majesty II CollectionEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Given this, it's fairly clear that BadBoy/Infamy costs for conquest has been greatly increased; no gains at less than a point of Infamy save Reconquest - and perhaps still a lucky inheritance at the end of a Personal Union? Is the 'Boundary Dispute' random event still in the game?

The 'Restoration of Union' Casus Belli strikes me as particularly interesting, since Unions seem even more fragile now. Is it then a more viable strategy to stay a monarchy and enforce Unions across the map through 'Claim on Throne' CBs and then keep them by 'Restoration of Union' CBs until inheritance, I wonder... I see a Borg/Burgundy AAR in the making here.

What I'd really like to know now is how you reduce infamy, if there are additions to the 'old ways' (DIP rating, Curia, Diplomat advisors, some decisions) and at what rates. I'm presuming those rates haven't increased to match the infamy gain increase, just to make World Conquest that much harder?
    My AARs:
    There Must Be Order - A Teuton AAR (EU3) - Completed - Awarded a Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomeness

Colonel
    A Game of DwarvesHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Majesty II CollectionEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Meanmanturbo View Post
    Might have missed a dev diary, but for these CB:s to realy ,matter, I hope that non-CB landgrabs have been penalized more heavily then before i regards to BB (infamy), or that BB limit has been drasticaly reduced, or this CB:s are a bit wothless
    I'd say the increase of default BadBoy/Infamy to four points a province, up from the standard 1 for Same/Heretic and 0.5 for Heathen (before 1650) is a rather heavy penalty.
    My AARs:
    There Must Be Order - A Teuton AAR (EU3) - Completed - Awarded a Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomeness

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by kebzero View Post
    I'd say the increase of default BadBoy/Infamy to four points a province, up from the standard 1 for Same/Heretic and 0.5 for Heathen (before 1650) is a rather heavy penalty.
    Great, sounds like it will be awsome

Quote Originally Posted by Belegurt View Post
    i hated how hard was to get in wars before but now it seems that it will be too easy...

fabricate claims it's totally useless now
    I don't think so. It seems that some of the casus bellis are better than going to war without one, but not by too much. I'm assuming that going to war without one is now a significantly badder idea.
    Wants to write accents (ä, á, å, etc.) like it's natural? Have Windows? Click here.

“When we received Ribbentrop, of course he toasted Stalin and me—on the whole he was my best friend. (Molotov’s eyes twinkled) Stalin unexpectedly suggested, ‘Let’s drink to the new Anti-Cominternist—Stalin!’ He said this mocking and winked at me. He had made a joke to see Ribbentrop’s reaction. Ribbentrop rushed to phone Berlin and reported ecstatically to Hitler. Hitler replied, ‘My genius minister of foreign affairs!’ Hitler never understood Marxists.”
    (Vyacheslav Molotov, quoted in Molotov Remembers, p. 12.)

“Just don’t pick Americans, or the first century of your game will consist of ‘flatten neighbours. move slider towards westernization. wait for slider timeout. move slider. pray you get a suitable leader and that the first Europeans to show up can be reasoned with.’” - grommile
    “Seriously. I just wasted most of yesterday getting the Incas to the colonial period, and England came and basically ate me in one gulp.” - Mongoose87

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

So what if the defender wins ? Does he get the same modifiers as the attacker (which does not make sense for several of them) or is it the default, no casus belli peace ?
    Paint it white : a Skleroi AAR (intermittent)

Normandy&Bastardy rule the day in Let's play 900 years, a megacampaign :
    Game threads : CK - EU3 - EU3 reboot - Victoria - HOI2
    AAR threads : CK - EU3 - EU3 reboot - Victoria - HOI2

Lt. General
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by sprites View Post
    sadly 'holy war' isn't alvailable to eastern , like muslim vs hindu states in india , etc
    The way I read it, it's available for Muslim states against Hindu ones, but not vice-versa. Which is historically accurate.

The most intriguing one is "Alliance". Supposing that "calls to arms" are unchanged from IN (that is, implicit in the declaration of war procedure, which we don't know). So, you've attacked the vassal of your true target, and are now in a one-vs-one fight against it... Oh, wait: all your true target's allies now have a CB against you. Depending on how the AI plays, avoiding them in the original war may not help you much.

I don't see anything in there for violated Guarantees: perhaps they got replaced by Spheres of Influence, or perhaps I'm up wayyyy too late .

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In Nomine

Now..... a WC might become even more tricky. We will see.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast