• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'll do that if I notice any.

I look forward to a few tries at Northumbria, Kievan Rus, and maybe an Irish state. These are all places in which I have had a historical interest, better with which I never really had a satisfactory medieval gaming experience.

It's a very nice looking map, as well.
Unfortunately, these countries do not have any events, yet. If you have some ideas, feel free to make some proposals, even you do not have any scripting skills.

I am also afraid that monarchs lists for the countries you are mentioning are uncomplete, so any help is welcome. :)

I have no experience in modding, but here are a few event ideas:

Vladimir and the conversion of the Rus would be an interesting choice. Perhaps an event echoing that king's decision would in order.

I don't know about what the current set-up is for England, but this is an idea: an Anglo-Saxon kingdom holding specified provinces (and/or a certain amount of VP) can form England after a certain date.

It could get tricksy, but a series of events related to Vikings in Britain could also be interesting.

Again, I have no experience doing these types of things, but I could try my hand at writing more specific events, though someone else would have to actually put them into the game. Is there a "guide to writing events" out there somewhere?

I don't know about what the current set-up is for England, but this is an idea: an Anglo-Saxon kingdom holding specified provinces (and/or a certain amount of VP) can form England after a certain date.

You could also here use the someof trigger to guarantee that the Ango-Saxon kingdom has a certain number of English provinces that it owns (and maybe like London as the one required of the set).

Again, I have no experience doing these types of things, but I could try my hand at writing more specific events, though someone else would have to actually put them into the game. Is there a "guide to writing events" out there somewhere?

Here's the commands and triggers list that Third Angel put together in this forum.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?459110-Commands-and-triggers-list

And then though outdated, here's from EU2 that shows the basic structure of an event:
http://home.broadpark.no/~havmoe/EU/events.htm

Use the first link though for any commands and triggers as there have been changes. :)

Vladimir and the conversion of the Rus would be an interesting choice. Perhaps an event echoing that king's decision would in order.
Now I recall that events for Vladimir's conversion were added in 0.49, they are probably quite sketchy though.

There is an event for Wessex to form England, also sketchy. I am not too keen on having other Anglo-saxon kingdoms being able to form it too as it would be too much fantasy for me.

I am not entirely against fantasy outcomes but they still have to be plausible at some point. Northumbria or Mercia controlling the whole or a major part of England within the given timeframe of the mod is not plausible, in my humble opinion.

It could get tricksy, but a series of events related to Vikings in Britain could also be interesting.
Definately. There might be a couple events about that, I would have to check it to be sure.

What Garbon said, also a good way to learn is to read through existing events files, and do not hesitate to ask questions of course. :)

Now I recall that events for Vladimir's conversion were added in 0.49, they are probably quite sketchy though.

I must admit that I haven't yet looked through the events or played too much just now. In any case, I could see if what's there already might do with some polishing or amending.

There is an event for Wessex to form England, also sketchy. I am not too keen on having other Anglo-saxon kingdoms being able to form it too as it would be too much fantasy for me.

That's understandable, though I should mention that I'm not suggesting a "fantasy" England, but rather a sort of de facto recognition that an Anglo-Saxon kingdom capable of conquering/dominating the others might as well be "England". (As opposed to, let's say, an overgrown Mercia or Northumbria.)

I am not entirely against fantasy outcomes but they still have to be plausible at some point. Northumbria or Mercia controlling the whole or a major part of England within the given timeframe of the mod is not plausible, in my humble opinion.

Again, that is reasonable on its face, though I'd have to play a little and see if a player with enough skill and luck could do it. Sooner or later, a state that united that cultural group would probably start to think of itself an "England", though of course no one can guess as to how its later development might differ from what actually did occur. I'm thinking along the lines of AGCEEP where some real national unification can form, but by different powers, like Novgorod to Russia, Scotland to UK, or Trebizond to Byzantines. The start nation and process would be different, IOW, but the end result more or less the same as actual history. It is your mod, of course:), and it ought to follow your vision, though some players take pleasure in forming majors from smaller constituents. Also, I am of the school of thought that games ought to look mostly like real history in what transpires, but in the event that things DO differ, some events that deal with such circumstances never hurt. IIRC, countries in unmodded EU II that survived past their historical expiration date were stuck with no events and the same monarch for the remainder of the game.

To put things into perspective, I think a relatively powerful Mercia or Northumbria forming England would be preferable to having several middling powers sticking around while none of them form England.

Definately. There might be a couple events about that, I would have to check it to be sure.

That's something else I should look at to see what's already there; there might be some potential for the Vikings all around but, yet again, I need more experience with watching the game unfold to see how well such a thing would integrate with the mechanics, etc.

Last edited:
Just to let other people know that I am not abandoning this long-term project, work on my part is still going on and next patch is scheduled for late August, early September, so actual contributions are still very much welcome. :)

Last edited:
Just to let other people know that I am not abandoning this long-term project, work on my part is still going on and next patch is scheduled for late August, early September, so actual contributions are still very much welcome. :)
I am still here, just waiting for the big heat to go away, currently 37-38° C in the last 30 days. Then I'll be back on my North Africa events which are still on schedule.

Actually, I am still waiting for the coming 1.3 patch with new commands and triggers...

That is great news. :cool:

I myself am currently in Corsica where it is not so hot, though the heat wave seems to be coming our way for the next week. :eek:hmy:

That is to say I have no access to my files. Before that, I had already been doing some good work on Spanish events as far as the late tenth century, and will resume work in early August.

In the mean time, do not hesitate if you can remember discussions we left unresolved before I started heavily playing CKII in February.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, I have been playing CKII again lately, so not much work done on DoK, and Bordic has gone very quiet. Still, I think there will be enough material with my work on Spain and Bordic's posts that were not included in 0.5 to release 0.51 by early September. Then we will see how it goes with 1.3 by this time.

Yes, I can see that. I have no idea why Gamefront is not working anymore even though I have registered over there. If anyone can point me to an easy to use and free uploading site, I would be grateful.

Thanks to Ober who has directed me to another site, DoK 0.5 should be up again, link in the first post.

It does not work for ...but then nothing works, not even AGCEEP.............only mod that works is PV

Thanks for the report, forge_ahead, in-game crashes are most likely to be caused by a bugged event, what would be even more helpful would be to know the last line of history.txt in the Logs folder after your game crashed.