+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 93

Thread: A Thousand Year Reich - 1936 Germany

  1. #1

    A Thousand Year Reich - 1936 Germany

    A Thousand Year Reich
    Germany 1936 Gameplay / Narrative AAR
    featuring: AI Improvement Pack

    WARNING - Screenshot-heavy AAR.






    Index (in progress)



    Prologue

    - "You see, General von Fritsch. The Reichstag now is just like our enemies - outside is beautiful, but inside - it is rotten. Fortunately me and Speer have better plans for the piece of land it is occupying - just like I have better plans for the land our enemies are occupying."

    - "Rightfully, mein Führer. However it is my duty to remember that our army is still far inferior from any of the other european nations."

    - "Ah, there is no other person in this country more aware of this fact than myself. But with the actions we set forth, in a few years we will be no less than the dominant power in continental Europe."

    Hitler stops momentarily their walk around the platz in front of the Reichstag.

    - "And for that, we will need loyal leaders for our troops. It isn't right, Generaloberst?"

    von Fritsch turned at Hitler with a little sceptical expression.

    - "Mein Führer?"

    - "Yes Generaloberst. I took the honor of recommending your promotion."

    - "I'm deeply honored mein Führer."

    - "Sure you are, von Fritsch. I'm sure you'll have, in this new position, a very important role in leading our Army."

    They walk a few more steps.

    - "Specially considering the difficulty of the task we have upon us in the East. Right, Generaloberst?"

    von Fritsch timid smile is replaced by a more concerned face.

    - "If I may, even though I appreciate your compliments, my thoughts about the Moscow problem remains the same."

    - "I see." - say Hitler, looking at the ground.

    - "Herr Hitler, let me say it bluntly - I don't see any usefulness in that. We will just throw our soldiers into a death trap. I cannot agree with that."

    - "Please, please, I understand Generaloberst. You are a soldier. I understand your point of view. Do you know what I think our Army needs most right now? Officers like you - energic, full of opinion, decided. Let's not worry about our divergencies of opinion for now... We'll meet with all officers and sort this situation later. Now if you excuse-me, I have an important meeting with Speer."

    - "Sure, Herr Hitler... I would like to thank you again for the recommendation. Excuse-me."

    von Fritsch goes away, leaving Hitler and Speer alone. While he walks away, Hitler looks at him and says quietly:

    - "For now... for now. But not for long."
    Last edited by bunkerbuster; 27-01-2010 at 05:24.

  2. #2
    Hi all. This is my take at the Germany role in the World War 2. I’ve made a few modifications to the game to hopefully make it more enjoyable. Also I want to play with a look at the grand strategy, trying to follow the historic facts but not to minute detail.

    Also, this is my first take on an AAR, so... be nice to me

    I’m playing at normal difficulty, however, I'm giving a hand to the AI. The modifications I made are:
    • Give UK, USA, SOV more manpower/IC/resources – they receive a 25% bonus if at war with Germany.
    • Remove Luxembourg manpower. Yes. Zero.
    • Delete land bridge on Channel Islands and Guanxi island.
    • Add NAP between JAP and SOV in Marco Polo event, so hopefully it will focus its forces on China instead of garrison its border with SOV.
    • Reduce air stacking penalty to 5%, since large air stacks are sometimes unavoidable.
    • Give AI 100% chance of annexing its conquests – I fear the AI doing stupid things like puppeting in critical areas.
    • If Germany conquers France, its territories are not annexed, but occupied. More realistic I think.
    • Convoys and escorts cost 10x more. Maybe that means a sub blockade against the UK may work. I intend on taking Sea Lion only if the UK airforce and navy are severely weakened. If it proves too harsh for the AI I’ll change it later.

    Also I’m using:
    • AI Improvement Pack 1.3
    • Filefools Immersion Pack
    • Historical Flags Mod

    Next: Setting up!

  3. #3
    Major
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Semper Fi

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    702
    alright! Another ´Das Reich´ AAR, always good.

  4. #4
    Banned EvilFishtank's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDiplomacyEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Lead and GoldLegioMajesty 2Rome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunspear
    Posts
    1,302
    Looks like fun. I like the assortment of mods you are using. I am a huge fan of the ai improvement pack.

  5. #5
    Preparations


    June 7, 1936
    Chancellery Office


    - "Now that all the ministers are here, we may begin our presentation." - Said Rudolf Hess.


    The German cabinet as of 1936.


    - "Lets begin by our Armed Forces. We started the year with 240.000 conscripts in the Heer, distributed into 39 divisions. We have now 360.000 men in 42 divisions, thanks to the propaganda work made by our Security Minister, Goebbels. We are now requiring people to serve 3 years in the military. Führer, would like to say something?"

    - "Yes. Shall I remember you gentleman of our goals in regard to the Heer - of attaining 600.000 men in 1938 and 1 million in 1940. We have made good progress, but we need to accelerate the expansion program. Specially in regard to the panzer program. Even though I was very impressed by the Panzer I demonstration, I have authorized funds for research of better equipped models."

    - "Sure, mein Führer. These funds are being well spent." - answers von Fritsch.

    - "Good. Now regarding our Air Force, we began this year with around 1.000 aircraft. Now we have added 200 fighters to our inventory, with total strength of 400 fighters - four wings -, and 800 bombers - eight wings."

    - "And again, let me reiterate our goal in this respect - that is, to have a strength of 4.000 aircrafts by 1940. Carry on, Herr Hess."

    - "In respect to our Navy, I'm proud to announce that we have laid down the keel of 4 new ships - two Bismarck class and two Scharnhorst class!"


    The Bismarck class batttleships, on top, sports 38cm guns, while the Scharnhorst class battlecruisers, below, sports 28cm guns.


    Applauds echoed throughout the entire conference room.

    - "I guess Admiral Raeder may introduce us to the changes in naval strategy."

    - "Sure, Herr Hess. These ships, gentleman, are bound to be the symbol of the rebirth of our High Seas Fleet. While very well equipped to defend our coastline against intruders, our fast cruiser fleet, combined with our submarine force, will be able to inflict in an eventual 'adversary' a strong naval blockade to effectively prevent their supply by sea. Thus, crippling their ability to operate an effective navy."

    Everyone knew he was talking about the United Kingdom... However, given Führer hopes of striking an alliance with the British, no one ever mentioned it explicitely.

    - "Well... the same can be done against us. We are still heavily dependent on overseas imports for oil and raw materials. How are we going to cope with a naval blockade or trade embargos?" - questioned Goering.

    - "We will address that question in the appropriate moment, Herr Goering. However I can assure you we are not overlooking the importance of these matters. We have signed important trade deals with Soviet Union and Sweden regarding raw materials and iron." - responded von Neurath.

    - "And we progressed towards of having a self-made design of an aircraft carrier, although its not our primary goal for the Kriegsmarine." - finished Raeder.

    - "Yes Admiral. I reserve myself the right to decide, at the appropriate time, whether we'll go forward with this project." - concluded Hitler.

    - "Very well, now in regards to our construction projects. After the unresisted occupation of the Rhineland, we have began fortifying our defences at the French, Belgium and Netherlands border."


    The recently re-occupied Rhineland region.


    - "We should not concentrate too much on it... like those French fools are doing on their Maginot line. Its just the minimal needed to defend our borders, and also to demonstrate that our intentions are just self-defence, not aggression. Given the Olympics are coming in the next months, we need to make sure our plans will be covered by a shield of peace and prosperity." - added Hitler.

    - "Also we have began expanding our shipyards in Kiel to acommodate the growing needs of shipbuilding. And we are progressing on having a Rocket Test Site on Peenemünde, probably in the eve of the next year."

    - "Great news Herr Hess. Now to finish our presentation, let me ask von Neurath to inform us on developments around the world".

    - "My pleasure, mein Führer. We are making good progress towards signing the Anti-Comintern pact. But the Japanese are concerned right now with the growing pressure over their occupation in Manchuria. I believe a conflict between Japan and China could spark at any minute; and that in the event it happens, the Soviet Union will most likely not intervene.

    Italy still hasn't decided their situation in Abyssinia. Enemy forces still control Adis Abeba and most of the country, despite Italians advances. However given the international disapproval of their actions, Mussolini is bound to enter our sphere of influence.

    In Spain, internal conflicts are escalating. We predict a full-scale conflict could happen at any time between Nationalists and Republicans, despite pleads by the League of Nations to resolve the differences peacefully.

    We have approached Brazil as a potential ally and trade partner in South America, since Vargas came to power. I strongly believe we'll succeed in bringing them to the Anti-Comintern Pact.

    United States is still committed to neutrality. Despite the League of Nations sanctions against Japan, the United States are still their biggest oil supplier.

    For now, the most delicate situation for us lies in China, where our negotiations with the Japanese could hurt our policital ties with them."

    - "Very well, Herr von Neurath. Lets see how the asiatic situation develops, then we will make a decision. That's all for now, gentleman. I appreciate all the hard-work presented today."

    Last edited by bunkerbuster; 12-12-2009 at 01:12.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by BoemsiBoemsie View Post
    alright! Another ´Das Reich´ AAR, always good.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilFishtank View Post
    Looks like fun. I like the assortment of mods you are using. I am a huge fan of the ai improvement pack.
    Welcome guys. Lets hope it turns out a fun game!

  7. #7
    Any intention to use allied countries in your axis?

    good luck with this one

  8. #8
    Magister Philosophiæ volksmarschall's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Res Publica

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Erravi
    Posts
    3,150
    Blog Entries
    3
    Very interesting! Nice touch of narrative elements so far. I'll be following.

    Good luck!
    Working On: The Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization (EUIV) 3x AwAARds Preface | Volume 1 | Volume 2
    Completed AAR(s):
    The Presidents: Clay to Smith (1836-1920) (History Book, 57 pages, my magnum opus) 7x AwAARd winner.
    Saints and Angels: An Epic of the American Civil War, (Narrative, 22 pages) 6x AwAARd winner.
    My Inkwell! (2 more completed AARs, 5 failed adventures, and brief bio!) | On Hold: The House of Habsburg In the Age of Empire (EUIV History Book)
    My AwAARds: 8x ACA AwAARd recipient (6x 1st Favorite), 4x Character WritAAR of the Week, 3x WritAAR of the Week, 3x Showcase, Fan of the week 1/03/09 & 9/02/14 (Full List in Inkewll)
    I am a historian, philosopher, and research economist (B.A. in those 3 subjects) | "God is the savior of all mankind" (1Tim 4:10)
    The Paradox Historiography Society | Sailing to Byzantium (Touring the city of Byzantium, or Constantinople, from founding to present).

  9. #9
    Spanish Civil War

    October 25, 1936


    The fragmented Spanish at the outbreak of the Civil War. Nationalists-controlled areas are colored dark-brown, while Republicans provinces are colored light-brown.


    Only a few hours after Johannes Bernhardt had left the audience with Hitler, the orders were already given - to deliver 24 transport aircraft to Franco's troops stationed in Africa. Neither the Foreign Ministry, nor their top military officers participated in the decision of involvement. The resolutness of Hitler could only be explained by the fact he was already waiting for that opportunity.

    The letter from General Franco that Joahnnes delivered to Hitler contained a plea to help in transportation for his troops. Had he failed in moving them to the continental Spain, the war would be lost already, before it had even begun. But even then he succeeded in that, victory was not certain yet.

    Just as Hitler decided to help the Nationalists, the Republicans obtained assistance from the USSR. However, for Franco's fortune, the Soviet response has been slower than Germany one's. Nevertheless, their tanks and aircraft manage to slow down the Nationalist offensive during the first months of war. Until March, the front remained static, except for the south.

    December 30, 1936


    The front, 5 months later, did not moved much, except for the south.


    The slow advance of Nationalists troops in the north prompted Franco's request for the expansion of the assistance. Several tank regiments, motorized infantry and bombers were sent from Germany and Italy. Also, bluffing the Western Powers by signing the Non-Intervention Agreement, Germany and Italy therefore were authorized to participate in the naval blockade, intercepting any ships bound to Spain. In light of this, several ships from the USSR were sunk, both by Italian submarines and German aircraft. Conveniently, these proving grounds gave the Luftwaffe an invaluable experience in anti-ship warfare, which prompted several doctrinary changes.

    This led to another unexpected, but welcomed side-effect for Franco and Hitler. Not wanting to risk any more material losses, and preoccupied with his own famous Officer Purge, Stallin decided to withdraw all Soviet forces from Spain and cease all assistance. This occurred despite protests from the Republican Government that still a large amount of Spanish gold reserves were still in Soviet possession. The withdraw significantly affected the moral of Republican troops, which now were isolated from the exterior world.

    Ironically, during this period Germany signed more trade deals with the Soviet Union for the buy of iron and steel. Given the emphasis on shipbuilding and the overall rearmament program, stocks of raw materials reached a low point for decades.



    April 5, 1937



    With Madrid taken, the Republican government hastily reallocated to Valencia, then to Murcia. All efforts were in vain to stop the advance of General Franco, now Head-of-State of Nationalist Spain. Even the International Brigades had fled, and with no access to the French border or to the sea given the Italo-German blockade, the Republicans were doomed.

    Meanwhile, Great Britain and France completely ignored the assistance lended by Hitler and Mussolini. This reinforced Hitler's desire to proceed freely with his rearmament pursuits.

    June 2, 1937



    In June, the situation was helpless for the Republicans, which made their last stand in Murcia. After almost a month of desperate fighting, in June 24 the last organized resistance was quelled. Franco succeeded in liberating Spain.

    The victory, while weakening the political situation of Soviet Union, Great Britain and France, brought more confidence to Hitler and his cabinet. Italy was now decisively isolated from the Western Powers - a Stresa front would not happen again. Also, an unanticipated development took the Foreign Ministry of the Reich by surprise - at the same day of the Nationalists victory, the Regent of Hungary, Miklós Horthy, manifested interest in integrate the Anti-Comintern Pact.



    Hitler proclaimed that day to be "the second happiest day" of his life, the first being the signing of the A.G.N.A. with Great Britain. He had reasons to - securing an ally in Spain created another trouble for France. Securing Hungary as ally opened up another front for Poland, and both happenings would hopefully bring an hesitant Mussolini definitely in the Reich sphere of influence.


    Last edited by bunkerbuster; 12-12-2009 at 01:12.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Obermotz View Post
    Any intention to use allied countries in your axis?

    good luck with this one
    Yes, hopefully Japan will not disappoint, since Spain didn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by volksmarschall View Post
    Very interesting! Nice touch of narrative elements so far. I'll be following.

    Good luck!
    Thanks!

  11. #11
    Magister Philosophiæ volksmarschall's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Res Publica

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Erravi
    Posts
    3,150
    Blog Entries
    3
    Looks like the Nationalists are on the verge of victory! That's surely good for you, as perhaps, Franco will be brought into the Axis in this timeline in contrast to the historical timeline.

    Excellent stuff!
    Working On: The Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization (EUIV) 3x AwAARds Preface | Volume 1 | Volume 2
    Completed AAR(s):
    The Presidents: Clay to Smith (1836-1920) (History Book, 57 pages, my magnum opus) 7x AwAARd winner.
    Saints and Angels: An Epic of the American Civil War, (Narrative, 22 pages) 6x AwAARd winner.
    My Inkwell! (2 more completed AARs, 5 failed adventures, and brief bio!) | On Hold: The House of Habsburg In the Age of Empire (EUIV History Book)
    My AwAARds: 8x ACA AwAARd recipient (6x 1st Favorite), 4x Character WritAAR of the Week, 3x WritAAR of the Week, 3x Showcase, Fan of the week 1/03/09 & 9/02/14 (Full List in Inkewll)
    I am a historian, philosopher, and research economist (B.A. in those 3 subjects) | "God is the savior of all mankind" (1Tim 4:10)
    The Paradox Historiography Society | Sailing to Byzantium (Touring the city of Byzantium, or Constantinople, from founding to present).

  12. #12
    The Sino-Japanese War

    July 6, 1937


    Just a few days after the Spanish Civil War has ended, a full-scale conflict broke out in mainland China. The previous escalations of conflict between Japan and the Chinese left no doubt that a war was imminent, however the suddenness of it caught the entire world by surprise.

    While Germany had cooperated with the Chinese military by the exchange of know-how and resources, the reluctance of the Chinese leaders in accepting a pact against the Soviet Union left Hitler impatient. When Japan displayed interest in signing the pact, German foreign policy regarding Asia changed abruptly, yet inconspicuously. Gradually the assistance to China was being withdrawn, in order to bring Japanese leaders to the conference table.

    After the impressive show of force demonstrated in Spain, and with the prospect of a mutual alliance against the USSR, the then Japanase Ambassador Kintomo Mushakoji signed the Anti-Comintern Pact in Berlin.




    However, at the same time, in the other half of the globe, the conflicted erupted in Manchukuo borders.



    When asked about it the next week by the Germany Foreign Minister von Neurath, the ambassador explained it was "just an unimportant border conflict" that would be "quickly solved by the end of the year". It wasn't clear which side had initiated the aggression, but what the ambassador didn't revealed was the fact the Japanese has been caught off guard, and Manchuria was risking being overrun by the Chinese.




    August, 1937

    Fortunately, after a month of fighting the Chinese offensive lost steam, thanks to the fierce Japanese reinforcement of fresh troops from the Imperial HQ.



    Meanwhile, the Japanese launched a daring amphibious assault against Shangai, which was completely unprotected. But the lack of reinforcements and the arrival of Chinese forces brought the offensive to a halt within one month of its beginning.


    A daring amphibious assault in Shangai, and the peak Japanese expansion after one month.


    September, 1937

    In September, the Chinese succeeded in pushing back the Shangai incursion, and eventually, in what was the first great defeat of Japan against China, 5 IJA infantry divisions surrendered, outnumbered and outgunned.



    In the north front however, the Japanese Army was being more successful, having almost beaten back the Chinese to the original Manchukuo borders. However, fighting was slow, given that the top Japanese leaders were reluctant in move troops stationed in the Soviet Union border, fearing an attack from the north. This was, clearly, an misjudgement, given that Stalin had hinted in some occasions that he would not intervene in the conflict. Because of this, the attrition in Manchuria would last for the remainder of the year.



    AAREditor's note - this is despite the fact I have given Japan a NAP with Soviet Union. In fact I tried other things - raising Shanxi threat level, or making Japan annex Manchukuo, or a combination of all - nothing moves the Japanese troops from the Soviet borders.

    Last edited by bunkerbuster; 12-12-2009 at 01:25.

  13. #13
    Oh dear... moving pics between Photobucket albums break their links... call me an amateur!

  14. #14

  15. #15
    Magister Philosophiæ volksmarschall's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Res Publica

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Erravi
    Posts
    3,150
    Blog Entries
    3
    Well, it looks like the Japanese will be moving south upon the problems you've fixed.

    It was comical (on a side note) to see the Japanese get bushwacked by Shanxi and the Chinese Nationalists for once. Looking forward to see the continuation of the Sino-Japanese War and what is next for Germany!
    Working On: The Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization (EUIV) 3x AwAARds Preface | Volume 1 | Volume 2
    Completed AAR(s):
    The Presidents: Clay to Smith (1836-1920) (History Book, 57 pages, my magnum opus) 7x AwAARd winner.
    Saints and Angels: An Epic of the American Civil War, (Narrative, 22 pages) 6x AwAARd winner.
    My Inkwell! (2 more completed AARs, 5 failed adventures, and brief bio!) | On Hold: The House of Habsburg In the Age of Empire (EUIV History Book)
    My AwAARds: 8x ACA AwAARd recipient (6x 1st Favorite), 4x Character WritAAR of the Week, 3x WritAAR of the Week, 3x Showcase, Fan of the week 1/03/09 & 9/02/14 (Full List in Inkewll)
    I am a historian, philosopher, and research economist (B.A. in those 3 subjects) | "God is the savior of all mankind" (1Tim 4:10)
    The Paradox Historiography Society | Sailing to Byzantium (Touring the city of Byzantium, or Constantinople, from founding to present).

  16. #16
    The End Of Appeasement

    September, 1938 - March, 1939



    The year of 1938 had been so far fruitful for Hitler's ambitions. Among his feats was the peaceful Anschluss of Austria, and the securing of Hungary as ally. However, the next step in his plans involved Czechoslovakia, and even though he was anxious to amend reasons to spark a war, soon he hit a wall of bricks. British bricks.

    Hitler was becoming way too aggressive in his demands. Even though the Sudeten german population was voicing their desire for integration with Germany, Hitler presented impossible timetables and conditions for a Czech withdrawal from the contested territories. Fearing that France would stand by its pact with Czechoslovakia and drag with it Britain into war, Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain decided to directly intervene. By proposing more reasonable conditions and by mounting pressure over the Czech government, Chamberlain was slowly disrupting Hitler's plans of putting the German machinery of war in action.

    The final blow came when Chamberlain imposed an ultimatum on Czech president Edvard Beneš, forcing it to opt between a peaceful concession of the Sudetenland or a military invasion by Germany, with Czechoslovakia unaided by the Entente. The Czech president opted to cede.



    Bunker from the Czech line of border fortifications. Without the Sudetenland, the Czechs lost their strategic defensive assets.




    German units hurry to occupy former Czech positions.


    However, both Britain and France reassured their guarantee of Polish borders. This marked the end of Hitler's aims of attaining an alliance with Great Britain, when he realized the British would not tolerate further his desires of expansion. At the same time the Munich Agreement was celebrated as a victory for Chamberlain, in the OKW plans began to be laid for war in the west.

    Still, the Czechoslovakia was not finished yet. In March 1939, after internal political breakup and the declaration of independence by the Slovaks, Germany took the opportunity and invaded the remainder of the Czech republic, annexing it into the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. This caused affliction in the west, prompting France and Poland to order immediate mobilization of its armed forces.






    Also the French Prime Minister Édouard Daladier began talks with the Belgium and Dutch governments for protection against a possible German attack. They, however, have refused to abandon their neutrality stances.






    March 1939 Armed Forces Report

    By March 1939, the German Armed Forces had reached a formidable size.

    Heer
    316 regiments distributed into 85 divisions:
    - 7 Panzer Divisions
    - 72 Infantry Divisions
    - 6 Motorized Infantry Divisions
    - 6 Mountain Divisions

    Divisions regiments:
    - Panzer Division: 2 Light Armor + 1 Mot. Inf.
    - Infantry Division: 3 Inf.
    - Mot. Inf. Division: 2 Mot. Inf. + 1 Self-propelled AT
    - Mountain Division: 2 Mountain Inf.

    Organized into 29 Corps, 9 Armies and 3 Army Groups.

    713,000 men in service, reaching 1 million soldiers if mobilised.
    Strategic manpower reserve around 1.7 million.
    Luftwaffe
    2,600 combat aircraft
    - 1200 BF-109 fighters
    - 1200 He-111 bombers
    - 200 He-115 coastal bombers
    Kriegsmarine
    2 Battleships (Bismarck and Tirpitz) + 2 building
    2 Battlecruisers (Scharnhorst, Gneisenau) + 2 building
    2 Pre-war Battleships (Schleswig-Holstein, Schlesien)
    6 Heavy Cruisers (Deutschland, Admiral Scheer, Graf Spee, Admiral Hipper, Blücher, Prinz Eugen)
    6 Light Cruisers
    9 Destroyers flotillas (36 ships)
    10 U-boat flotillas (40 subs) + 4 building


  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by volksmarschall View Post
    Well, it looks like the Japanese will be moving south upon the problems you've fixed.

    It was comical (on a side note) to see the Japanese get bushwacked by Shanxi and the Chinese Nationalists for once. Looking forward to see the continuation of the Sino-Japanese War and what is next for Germany!
    Indeed. I hope they at least survive their mainland incursions. Having his first ally busted will not leave Fuhrer happy...

  18. #18
    Prelude to War

    September, 1939



    Walther von Brauchitsch is Commander-in-Chief of the Heer of almost two years now, since von Fritsch resigned. A 58-years old officer which had served in World War I within the German General Staff with distinction, he is now incumbed with the greatest challenge of his career - commanding the Wehrmacht into Poland.

    However Von Brauchitsch is receiving Werner von Fritsch in his office at the Army Headquarters, in Berlin. After arriving in his meeting room, both men start talking about amenities, and Brauchitsch offer Fritsch a cigar.
    Just after exhaling the first fluff of smoke into the air, von Fritsch changes subject.

    - "Herr Brauchitsch, I know for sure you have something important to tell me, otherwise you wouldn’t have called me amidst this preparation for war."

    Von Brauchitsch stands up and stares out the window.

    - "Yes Herr Fritsch. I’ll go straight to the point. I don’t trust Herr Hitler."

    - “This is… a powerful and… dangerous statement for someone in your position.” – says von Fritsch, surprised.

    - “Indeed is. But I would not disclose it to you if you disagreed with it.”

    - “This is nonsense… how are you supposed to know what do I think or what do I agree with?”

    - “Because of your actions… more precisely, because of your support in the… how can I say… failed coup of the Munich Conference.”

    - “Coup? What coup are you talking about?”

    Brauchitsch sits at the table and look von Fritsch straight into the eyes:

    - “The coup I planned.”

    Von Fritsch thinks for a moment and realizes the situation.

    - “I see. Well, so there is no point in disguising it. So… it was you?”

    - “Surprised?”

    - “No, not at all. I knew your feelings about Herr Hitler. Perhaps I was more vocal than you… that’s why you are in the Wehrmacht, and I’m not anymore.”

    - “Well, that’s about to change. I am, as the Commander-in-Chief of the Heer, I’m recalling you.”

    - “Now I’m surprised, Herr Brauchitsch. Did Herr Hitler consented with it? And what job would I be able to do?”

    - “I’ve managed to obtain Herr Hitler approval. We are in shortage of good officers, our army is growing in an unthinkable rate. However, it would be a low-profile position – you will be named ‘Honorary Colonel of the 12th Artillery Regiment’. But the point is – I want you inside the Heer because I need allies.”

    Its now von Fritsch who stands up and wander around the room.

    - “Colonel of an artillery regiment?”

    - “Herr Fritsch, your career as of now is dead. If you accept it, you will have the opportunity to at least participate from the inside. I’m sure, that, in the event this regime is overthrown, justice will be made for the accusations that Goering had made. But right now, I cannot do anything against it. Herr Hitler is right now a hero in Germany. His gambles are succeeding in spectacular ways, and even greater ones are bound to come. We have to wait for the right opportunity. And for that, I need people inside who can lead and discipline our soldiers.”

    Von Fritsch still seems reluctant, but after thinking more thorougly gives his final resolution.

    - “Tell me one thing. Where do I sign.”

    -------------------------------



    Fall Weiss, as the plan for the invasion of Poland has been covertly named, has been modified and adjusted by the German High Command since the capitulation of the Czech republic. The plan was being dragged not because it presented a difficult strategic or tactical problem, but more because of resources and political issues. At the same time Hitler's officers were buying time for further expansion of the military, Hitler was pursuing a political and moral excuse to embroil Germany in war with Poland.

    The big "question mark" in Germany foreign policy now was Soviet Union. Stalin had watched silently the German expansionism until now, but would probably intervene in Poland in the event it was invaded. Worst yet, Soviet diplomats were deliberating with France and Great Britain conditions for an alliance against Germany expansion. However these negotiations had failed at the refusal of Poland to colaborate with the Bolsheviks. This presented an unusual opportunity which Hitler and his newly appointed Foreign Minister, Joachim von Ribbentrop, quickly exploited - a pact with Soviet Union. The public proposal outlined only trade agreements, however secret terms proposed the partition of the Eastern Europe in German and Soviet spheres of influence. Incidentally, Poland was situated right over that line.

    Having secured Stalin non-intervention in the invasion, now Hitler provided the moral excuse - the demands for the return of Danzig to Germany, and reports of attacks by Polish troops into German territory, which would be staged in the day before the date fixed for the beginning of military operations - September 1st.




    Ground Plan

    The plan consisted of a rapid and decisive encirclement and destruction of the Polish Army. Five armies were allocated to the attack, with one (Ninth) beginning the campaing on a defensive role along the Poznan salient.

    In the North, von Kluge's 4. Armee under command of von Bock's HG Nord would cut into Danzig and the Polish corridor, linking with the German forces in the East Prussia, then wheel southwards through Torun. Under 4. Armee was the recently formed XIX. Motorized Corps commanded by Heinz Guderian, with two Panzer Divisions (1 and 2). This corps would block the northeast escape route for the Polish forces in the Poznan salient.

    Kuechler's 3. Armee in East Prussia would assume a defensive role, with the XXI. Corps attacking east of Warsaw to hopefully gain control of the bridges over the Vistula and Bug rivers.

    In the South, von Reichenau's 5. Armee objectives were the city of Lódz and, ultimately, Warsaw, while cooperating with the 4. Armee in encircling the Poznan salient. It had two motorized corps under its command - Hoepner's XV, consisting of the 4 and 5 Panzer Divisions, and the Leibstandarde SS motorized infantry regiment, and Hoth's XXII, with only motorized infantry divisions. Keitel's XI. Corps would guard its left flank.

    For the 8. Armee, under command of Johannes Blaskowitz, its objectives were the population center of Kraków and the area around it. Meanwhile List's 7. Armee, possessing the 3 and 10 Panzer Divisions, would launch from the Polisk-Slovak border around Kraków in a long drive directly towards Warsaw. The XVI Gebirgs-Korps would cover its right flank.

    All units were ordered to stay within the German area of occupation accordingly to the Molotov-Ribentropp pact, although troops were not warned about the pact nor the Soviet invasion that was about to take place.

    Air Plan

    The Luftwaffe would allocate two Air Fleets - Luftflotte 1 would support operations in the north, while Luftflotte 2 would support operations in the south. Another two Air Fleets would cover German territory from western incursions.

    OOB for the Luftwaffe in the East

    Code:
    Luftflotte 1
       IV. Jagdkorps
          JG 52 and JG 77 (BF-109D)
       V. Jagdkorps
          JG 3 and JG 21 (BF-109D)
       I. Kampfflieger
          KG 28, KG 27 and KG 54 (He-111)
       II. Kampfflieger
          KG 2, KG 3 and KG 51 (He-111)
    Luftflotte 2
       VI. Jagdkorps
          JG 51 and JG 71 (BF-109D)
       III. Kampfflieger
          KG 25, KG 30 and KG 56 (He-111)
       IV. Kampfflieger
          KG 1, KG 4 and KG 26 (He-111)
    OOB for the Luftwaffe in the West

    Code:
    Luftflotte 3
       III. Jagdkorps
          JG 70, JG 72 (BF-109D)
       I. Kustenflieger
          KusG 125 and KusG 126 (He-115)
    Luftflotte 4
       I. Jagdkorps
          JG 2, JG 26 (BF-109D)
       II. Jagdkorps
          JG 20, JG 53 (BF-109D)
    Naval Plan

    The most important portion of the Naval Plan dealt with the attack on English merchant shipping around the British Isles. At the time, Germany possessed 4 short-range sub flotillas (numbered 1 to 4) and 10 medium range (1700-2300 km) flotillas (numbered 5 to 14). Weeks before the start of the invasion, flotillas 5 thru 12 would be positioned around the British Isles, while flotillas 1 thru 4 would monitor the Jutland Coast. Flotillas 13 and 14 were to be held in reserve, as they had been recently deployed.



    The bulk of the surface fleet would form the 1. Hochseeflotte, which was to harass any British intervention in Helgoland and Jutland. This fleet consisted of the battleships Bismarck and Tirpitz, battlecruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, and the heavy cruisers Admiral Scheer, Admiral Hipper, Bluecher and Prinz Eugen.

    A reserve fleet consisted of the battlecruisers Goeben and Hamburg, and the heavy cruisers Deutschland and Graf Spee, alongside smaller ships and destroyers.



    German Army lined up along the Polish border minutes before the commencement of the invasion.




  19. #19
    Not a Communist Red_Communist's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    639
    this is a really good AAR! Keep up the good work.

  20. #20
    Second Lieutenant Supervixens's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    172
    Wow, the historical flags look really sexy! I hope the improved AI gives You hell (in a good sense) .
    An experiment in a culinary AAR:
    What you eat is what you AAR - the worldwide introduction of estonian cuisine
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 23. Jan. 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts