+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dev Diary 4 - The Economic System and why it may seem a little similar

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2

Dev Diary 4 - The Economic System and why it may seem a little similar

When we began to design Victoria 2 we thought back to the Victoria’s release. One of the problems was the epic cycle of bankruptcy at the start as your economy slowly crashed. Now by 1.04 this problem was pretty much solved but we drew one very important lesson from this. You need a functioning economy for the game to be fun.

They say that money makes the world go round, and when it comes to Victoria nothing is truer. To be able to enjoy the game you are going to need money, in Victoria 2 you need your POPs to have money so you can tax them and this means that you need a working economy. This factor pushed us towards a bit of economic conservatism, insert in contemporary analogy here, because after all if the game ain’t fun you won’t be playing it.

For those of you who did not really play Victoria, let’s have a quick run down of the economic system and how it functioned. At its base you have Resource Gathering Operations (referred to as RGOs). These represent things like farms and mines and produce goods without any inputs. Then you have factories that take inputs from either RGOs and/or other factories and turn them into other things. Then you have a world market that acts as a central clearing house for buying and selling goods.

So this is basically what we were doing. However there was a tragic scene in the office last week. Sometimes you can’t find the words to describe it so you steal someone else’s:

“Where nothing ever grows
    No rain or rivers flow
    Do they know it's Christmastime at all?”

Now if you ignore the fact that in 1836 most of Africa does not know it is Christmas time for religious reasons we had a global crisis. There wasn’t enough Fish produced to feed the world. Now we figured we could either hold a charity concert or rebalance the economic system a bit. When we decide what to do we’ll let you know but for the moment times are tough. Although on a more a serious note, this is the joy of improving interfaces, it makes it a whole lot easier to work out if things are actually working the way you intend them to. The sooner you can get the basics right the sooner you can move on to adding things.

Which comes to the second reason why we chose to keep the economic system at its base similar. If you think back to the first developer diary I mentioned that we initially starting talking about ideas for a second expansion to Victoria, well the idea was that this would focus very heavily on economics. We felt that there was still a lot mileage in improving the original Victoria’s economic system without having to reinvent the wheel. Now we have mentioned things like unemployment and artisans and these we will return to in future developer diaries but that is it for the time being.

Here is another random Screenshot that you may or may not like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vic2_alpha_dec011.JPG‎
Views:	22525
Size:	631.2 KB
ID:	20205  
    Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    I like it, I think.
    ~Jamie

Download the Validator: Eu4 | Ck2 | March of the Eagles | Hoi3 | Victoria II | Eu3 | EU Rome | Sengoku

Threadbuster, by order of CC HisMajestyBOB's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Majesty II CollectionEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsMount & Blade: Warband

Well, I'm kinda glad it won't be too radically different. I am looking forward to seeing what tweaks and changes you will make. It seems the world market will remain - will there also be country-to-country deals? I'm assuming that blockades will now be possible, too?
    Why, Thor, god of thunder, is trying to break into my building!

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations500k club

Glad to see that economic system is being improved. Nice DD. Thanks for updates. I just hope there will be less micromanagement of it, as it was the thing that turned me a bit down in the Vicky/Ricky.

Well, I enjoy economy in Vic1, however I didn't really like the buying goods system (state pays for goods to feed industry). Plus I hoped for national-international market and services added.

Can you give us some more information how the system will work, please?

EDIT: 2questions about the screen:

- country flags are in the form of a wheel, HoI-like. I hate it with passion. Will it stay this way?
    - Units are large dolls rather then formations. Will it be matter of player choice? Or, at least, will it be editable?

Apart from that, graph is nice, I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFloyd View Post
    Well, I kind of enjoy economy in Vic1, however I didn't like the buying goods system (state pays for goods to feed industry). Plus I hoped for national-international market and services added.

Not yet

Forum's #1 Irishman Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Well, I kind of enjoy economy in Vic1, however I didn't like the buying goods system (state pays for goods to feed industry). Plus I hoped for national-international market and services added.

Yeah, no offence King but this DD really tells us nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    DD have variable content. This DD was an introductory to the economic system as such it is a set up for future DDs.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by HisMajestyBOB View Post
    Well, I'm kinda glad it won't be too radically different. I am looking forward to seeing what tweaks and changes you will make. It seems the world market will remain - will there also be country-to-country deals? I'm assuming that blockades will now be possible, too?
    Indeed - some form of blockade feature and bilateral trade and customs treaties would certainly be good to factor in, as these were all very very important in interantional relations in the period.

Darkest HourDivine WindVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Less micro and more details always wins.
    AAR: A Revolutionary France! ----Complete

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Great! I thought the economy alone made Vicky worth playing, besides the historical flavor. Comes from a student learning economics of course

I would hope for a realistic approach of Demand and Supply, and a working market. The global market idea was and is great. May the invisible hand of the market be with you.
    ~~~Das Leben ist kein Frankreichfeldzug~~~

Confused
    Victoria: Revolutions

Blog Entries
    I wanted a DD about military. I think. However, "to feed the world" has my intrest...are we gonna see famines?

EDIT: 2questions about the screen:

- country flags are in the form of a wheel, HoI-like. I hate it with passion. Will it stay this way?
    - Units are large dolls rather then formations. Will it be matter of player choice? Or, at least, will it be editable?

Apart from that, graph is nice, I really like it.
    Thanks for answer first (well, kind of...'not yet' ), what about these two questions, please?

Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    +1.

It's understandable that you are not ready to talk about the economic system yet. But then, why make the DD about it?
    1 Bureaucrat
    Nationality: Swedish
    Religion: Secularism
    Ideology: Green
    Issues: Climate/Migration
    Current Work: Campaign manager @ Swedish Green Party

HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

Ooh, nice map font
    Paris Je T'Aime

The world market is still there, even though there wasn't really one until the end of the period? That's a bit sub-optimal. I'd prefer regional markets for each continent. Is that what the comments about Africa and fish are meant to indicate? A mechanism that let's uncivilized countries trade only with neighbours or protectors might be a good substitute, though.

But the most important question is: Will the world market still buy everything, even if there is hardly any demand? And will it still sell your stuff to your mortal enemies?
    timeo hominem unius libri

Quote Originally Posted by JakopDalunde View Post
    +1.

It's understandable that you are not ready to talk about the economic system yet. But then, why make the DD about it?
    Well first off, not all Diary readers are actually familiar with Victoria so giving them a Victoria economy basics would be quite nice. Also I am bit disapointed that none of you noticed that thanks to our improved interface we are already spotting balance issues that made it into Victoria 1.0.

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    yes, it will look that way as it looks great.

no, we want to have good looking soldiers to feel more like victorian era game.

kinda like tin soldiers on a big map.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty happy with the DD, nice screeny, and it's good to know you're not ripping the heart out of the economics system
    Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

Let's Play M&B Warband 1257AD!

Forum's #1 Irishman Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Well first off, not all Diary readers are actually familiar with Victoria so giving them a Victoria economy basics would be quite nice. Also I am bit disapointed that none of you noticed that thanks to our improved interface we are already spotting balance issues that made it into Victoria 1.0.
    but we don't know anything at all about the interface?

On the plus side, I loved the economic model from V1 so I'm happy it's more-or-less being kept, and the coast of Ireland is, to all intents and purposes, perfect. I can almost spot my house on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast