• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
your aar portrays a factor greatly overlooked/neglected by vanilla EU3, and not really fully represented even in MMP: the power of the nobility; as interesting it is to read about the nobles' shifting loyalties in northern kingdoms, it's a bit sad they are only your/writaar's invention (mostly) as nothing like them happened in-game

i can't wait to see DDR :)

Of Swords...

@asd21593: Hmmm, Possibly. I rather like the size myself, however if the readers would like the AAR to be posted in more manageable sized updates I can do that.
@Tweetybird: I have a supply of Blank Maps I draw my Maps on, most of them just have the modern Nation Borders and Rivers on them, though my Super Big Ass Map of Europe has subdivisions. I get them from an Alternate History Forum Here.
@gabor: Sadly, with the exception of the two wars with Denmark, I hardly payed any attention to the North, so All of this is made up. That being said, most of the Austrian Succession Wars and French Succession Wars coicide with Large Noble Oppositions. But yes, not even MMP truly modifies how precarious most monarch's power was. I would reference a particular Legend, howeverit would be too much of an obvious hint. ;)

~~*~~

Narriatives

The People of the Renaissance
Ferdinand I 'One Eye'
August 4th, 1497; The Battle of Kelding​

~~*~~

Part 1

Smoke filled the air, rolling upwards from the cannon beside me. We had few, only seven currently stood with the army, the others having been left at various fortresses to batter down their walls as the K.U.K. Armee pushed Northward into Denmark. All around me, the Sound of Battle drifted, almost lazily, into my ears like the smoke into my nostrils. This was far more boring than I had expected.

The Force aranged against our army was large, but poorly organized, with hardly any definition between the regiments, though this allowed it to form one massive front which was proving suprisingly difficult to break through. From my perch upon this small hill behind even the other Cavalry, it appeared as one long roiling mass of glinting metal along the field below, arranged against several dozen tight boxes of steel which pressed forward and then held, returned, and then pressed forward again, not quite as far.

The Battle had Raged for almost three hours at this point, with their line steadily pushing forward, Their sheer numbers crashing down upon our smaller army like the waves of the sea against a shallow rock. Both Armies had been exhausted, the battle would likely slowly dismantled on the Status Quo if neither side achieved an exceptional breakthrough soon. Ultimately, this had been fairly boring.

Well, it had been a good opportunity for observation at the least. This was his first battle as General. And he had performed, adequately. I Forced Patience upon myself, the battle was not yet over, and as I looked down at his small form behind the lines, I caught just the briefest of glimpses of his face. A Detailed evaluation of his expression was impossible at this distance, despite my still keen eyesight, however I gathered enough from his manner. He was his usual hurried, energetic self, he was not rushed, or panicked.

He was still in control.

This entire war was little more than a boring campaign. The Danish Armies, with the exception of this one, remained on their precious islands, behind their blasted Fleet, ours, not that it could have challenged theirs even had it been here, stuck in the Adriatic. The Hanseatic League, those blasted greedy pirates, would not risk their ships against a true battle, insisting on doing no more than raiding the coast of the Danish Isles. Oh well, Mainland Denmark should be enough to force a return to the Status Quo. If the Hanseatic Pirates can crippled Danish Trade enough, I might even be able to force Denmark to Rescind their control over Holstein. They may Keep Oldenburg for now, it remains the King's Ancestral Home.

I Smiled, I had risked losing mine, I would not wish to deprive them of their homeland.

There was a push, the Center of our Front was giving way. So, this was their limit it appeared. My Son's Discipline Training had been insufficient. Or he had not had enough time, either way, this was a shame. Where was he? I Spied his Golden Cloak, fluttering in the still air as he raced back from the Left Flank. He Never used Runners if he could avoid it, he always preferred to carry the orders himself.

I would have to Hammer that out of him, though he was, at this point, already 22 years of age. He had grown rapidly, the last worldy remnant of my Only Love.

He would make a Fine Successor, and this battle would be good for him. Every Leader should experience defeat at least once, lest they grow too great in their ego, and become careless. The Danish Soldiers pushed into the breach, the Center Regiments Collapsing and falling backwards, running headlong towards two of the archer regiments.

The Danish General was charging his Knights into the Breach now, they looked at least 1200 strong, My Son, briefly held only near this breach by a smaller breach. This second attack would be easily repulsed, I could see the Danish Soldiers who had marched forward either cut down or fleeing backwards to their Line. The Damage had been done, they had held off Leopold's Cavalry from enterring the fray at the Flank of the Danish General. Clever move.

I Raised my Hand, the runners beside me taking note, and I began to order the retreat, when the sound of a Horn pierced through the clatter of steel.

What was this? We had no reinforcements arriving, no, the sound came from the center of our line. I Lowered my hand.
"What new Devilry do you have for me my Son?"
A Cruel Grin was on my face. This Battle was now Interesting.

I had intentionally avoided being present for his discussions of Strategy and Tactics, I had payed no attention to the soldiers and how he had outfitted them, though now the plan seemed obvious as I saw it unfold before me, carried out with clockwork precision. The Danish General Charged on, rightly considering himself victorious, as the sound carried over him. He Continued his charge, I could see him turn his Knights towards my position on this hill. Going for the King, he was, even though I was not in command of this battle. No Matter, in the unlikely event he made it through my Son's Trap, I could dispatch him easily enough, even should I need to resort to less, fair, tactics.

Sweat was soaking the cloth that coverred my Left Eye, and dripping into my Right, so I tore the cloth from my head, explaining this to my aid when he asked, and orderring him to fetch my Personal Guard from their rest, their services would not be needed, however, now that this battle would become a true demonstration of who they would eventually follow, I would have them become familiar with him.

It made no difference however, as my Knights Gathered around me, the Second Horn Blasted, the first having signaled the Archers to Retreat as well, deepening the trap, the Second, now springing the trap itself, as the Archers and Routed Infantry from the Center of the Line reached a barren piece of the field, the Infantry reassembled into a Deep Line almost instantly, as the Archers continued past, and collected their real weapons from the ground behind the new line, pushing their way into the ranks of their brothers and compatriots.

The Line was strong, the Line was Secure, and it Stood Still as the Danish General Crashed down upon it. I would have paid any price to see the expression of the General as he realized his folly, this moment would remain in my heart as a precious one, second only to one other.

From the Flanks, the other 'Archers' Cast off their bows and drew their swords, attacking the now completely chaotic mass of Dansih Soldiers. Retreat was impossible, the Front they had pressed through had reformed, weakenned, however more than strong enough to hold back the other Danish Infantry for long enough, as Leopold's Cavalry Charged into the Rearmost Flant of the Disorganized Danish Mass, Piercing through it easily.

This Melee lasted hardly more than a half an hour, after which, seeing the Austrian Line Reform, and knowing their General had been either killed or captured, the Danish Line Collapsed.

I on my horse, with my Knights behind me, trotted lazily down the hill. I was slightly disappointed that my Son would not taste defeat here, however I was more proud of his accomplishment as he rode his horse before me.

"The Sword and Helm of the Danish General, my Father, he has Fallen."
"A Shame." I replied, with honesty. "My Son, come closer."

He Obeyed, loyal to the last, and brought his Horse behind mine as I turned it towards the Knights Behind me.
"Knights of Austria, I present to you your new Charge. As a General without Peer, and certainly with greater Tactical Prowess than myself, I turn you, and the Armies of Austria, to my Son Leopold. Swear your Loyalty to Him."

They did so without question, a mere gesture in truth, I was sure they would remain loyal to me for years to come, many of them being my personal Friends. This Cohort of Knights, numberring 100 in strength, had long served me as my Personal Guard. On Campagin, we ate and drank together, we Conversed and made Merry. My Brothers, I now Signed over to my Son, Long may they serve him in all his endeavors.

~~*~~

I think I'm going to save the Narratives for a sort of 'filler' for when I don't have a History Book Style Post Written, as they are much easier to write. Also, do you think this is a good size for Updates?

It would not be Königliche und Kaiserliche Army at this point, since Austria does not yet have any King-titles.
They might be the Emperor, thus Kaiserliche Armee, but not Königliche which refers to the crown of Hungary.

Most impressive Vishaing. I'm enjoying the story. I'll keep reading.

Joe

I just came across this amazing AAR. I just wanted to say you snagged yet another reader, and the graphics are amazing. Keep up the good work!

So, I just spent few hours reading this AAR. I must say it deserves a place among the best History Book AARs on this forum :) It kinda reminds me of one Burgundy MMP AAR which sadly seems to be in coma; the scale is even more epic. Keep it up, I can't wait to see how the revolution happened :)

BTW, are there really some supernatural elements, or is Hugo making it all up? ;)

Very Short post this time, but increadibly important none the less....

@Tweetybird: Maps are my speciality, and I also think its a tad short, but it is a size I can work with. That being said...
@asd21593: If I see a place where the Post can be divided without losing focus or breaking narrative flow, I will probably break it, but if I don't feel any such point exists, be prepared for some massive posts.

That being said, old posts like the First Great Crusade Post could really have been split in twain, or possibly thrain.

@Enewald: I was not aware that the second K referred to the Crown of Hungary, I had Thought it was Kaiserliche und Kaisereich Armee, meaning Emperor and Empire Army. That's what MY K.u.K. Armee Means ;). But thanks for pointing that out, I'll make a note of it for later. And feel free to correct any other Similar Mistakes I make.

@Storey: Thanks!
@General_BT: Thanks! I haven't been keeping up on your AAR, I need to fix that problem....
@Winner: Thank you Very Much!
Oh, and that's for you to figure out. I don't really know myself. I mean, I'm just the Writer after all...

~~*~~

Narriatives

The People of the Renaissance
Ferdinand I 'One Eye'
August 4th, 1497; The Battle of Kelding​

~~*~~

Part 2

The Battle effectively over, with limitted skirmishing going on, and with cavalry hunting down what few survivors of the Danish Army there existed, My Son and I rode across the battlefield conversing of many things. He seemed preoccupied with the Campaign, its Progress, and Plans for its Completion. Most of the North of Mainland Denmark was under out control, and now that this Danish Offensive had been destroyed, we might rally more Hanseatic Pirates to our Cause. If the Seas were uncertain, Denmark would not move for another Invasion. Now all that remained was to Wait until they have tired of this war. This Matter Discussed, we resolved ourselves to Silence.

"The Army likes you." I finally said, breaking through to conversation once more.
"They see me as similar to you. I live with them when on campaign, and do not spend their lives frivolously."
"You are Strong both as a Warrior and a General. All of the Army will march at your command, especially after this victory."
"I could hope for no less."

He was somber as always, persistent in his quiet seriousness. I resolved to break his concentration.

"How long until you Overthrow me?" I asked. There wasn't a Pause.

"What Reason have I to overthrow you?"
I Laughed Deeply. "Greater Power?"
"Power that I neither require nor Desire. You have already signed much of the Imperial Finances over to me, and I have no patience for the conversations of the court, even were I to be Emperor, I would likely give such duties to chancellors to handle it for me." He replied.

"You Know this." He added, after a breif Pause. "Don't attempt to convince me you have not expected my responses."
"True, I did. But I wanted to see how you reacted to the question itself. You Possess a Strong Will and a Discipline that pushes itself even onto your expression. You will be very hard for the other rulers of Europe to Read. On a related note, you do realize your admission of understanding I had predicted your answer thus renders that answer suspect, correct?"
"Of Course."

There was a long pause at this point, as I sat, smiling, while he remained largely expressionless.

"Why have you given my brothers no land?" He asked, I did not want this question, not now.
"I have given them Land."

"Don't attempt to distract me." Was the Reply. "You have given them but tokens, Friedrich the County of Schaffhausen, Rudolf the County of Freiburg. Both are but trifles, hardly able to raise any substantial army, and in the case of Freiburg, hardly able to raise any coin at all."
"The Failure of the Finances of Freiburg is not the fault of the land."
"Do not misdirect. Why have you not given them any proper Titles?"

There was a Pause here. It was not from my uncertainty, I had dwealt upon this matter long before this, having fully considered all possibilities and fully evaluating all of the facts I had. My Smile was gone.

"Because neither of them are fit for the World of European Politics."
He Continued Immediately. "For Rudolf I accept that reason, he lacks both Discretion and Skill, however Friedrich is beholden of a Powerful Mind and Will. He is Wise and Resolved, strong in both Spirit and Body, and Educated far beyond his years. His Stoicness is not nearly as total as my own, and he possesses a geniality and loving nature that endears him to those who talk with him. He is a Prodigy, in its most encompassing definition. He has Completely reorganized his small holdings, and seems determined to turn Schaffhousen into the Third Rome. The City has doubled in size under his leadership, and is the Economic Center of the entire Swiss Confederacy. Even the Leaders of the Cantons themselves, never really liking We Habsburgs, like him. He is likely responsible for this period of Peace with Switzerland. He would make a better ruler than I."

"No, No he would not."

"Why Wouldn't he."

I sat in silence for a long time, my memories of Friedrich Running back and forth through my mind. I saw him, already a veritable beast of a man, taller than both me and his brothers, and all who came to the court, I realized as I though about it. His Jovial Eyes, his Laugh, ran through my mind. His Smile and peace of mind, his utter lack of temper. He had never been angry, It was amazing how I had not noticed that before.

"You have Seen him with his little Wife?" I asked, I knew the Answer already.
"Of Course, I myself spend long periods at Shaffhousen as their guest."

"That is Why he Wouldn't be a good Ruler." I could see he wasn't satisfied with this answer. "I will tell you when you succeed me, for you shall claim the responsibilities I as yet keep hidden from you and everyone. There will be no more discussion of this subject."

~~*~~

"You have Seen him with his little Wife?"

"That is Why he Wouldn't be a good Ruler."

"I will tell you when you succeed me, for you shall claim the responsibilities I as yet keep hidden from you and everyone. There will be no more discussion of this subject."

Now you have me intrigued. I think we can see that he wouldn't be the type to beat his wife. Does his wife rule the household and boss him around? Maybe that's it.;)

Joe

I am not sure that Ferdinand I 'One Eye' is even human. He probably looks human, but... what is he, really? ;)

I am not sure that Ferdinand I 'One Eye' is even human. He probably looks human, but... what is he, really? ;)

borg? :)
but yes we don't get any answers, instead the questions seem to multiply

i feel sorry for Rudolf, everybody thinks he's good for nothing; anybody else here feels like a Rudolf of his/her family?

I wonder what's gonna happen to the heir apparent. We know he's not going to be the king, or did I miss something?

Who's Got Two Thumbs and is about to Post an Update?

@ Enewald: I CapitaLIze LetTers I ThiNk aRE ImpeORtanT>
Oh, and Friedrich VI is much different than Friedrich The Great. His Wife is an entirely different subject, one that will be expanded upon eventually...

@ Tweetybird: I'm Glad I can keep people's Attention.

@ Storey: Something Like That, but not Quite.

@ Winner: Ferdinand is Human, he never advanced past Level 1, but What he, and Several Others, are is actually quite important to figuring out what the hell is going on, so keep guessing.
Oh, and You missed something. Check the end of 'The Kingdom of France in 1500'. Leopold Ruled as Emperor for 3 Years between his Father's Suicide and Falling in Battle against Venice.
More specifically, he succumbed to the 'Godly Ruler Curse' that the game has, as his stats were MIL9 ADM8 DIP6.

@ gabor: No one's going to be assimilated, someone definitely put a stop to that...
Oh, and as for Rudolf being unfairly criticized, I would like to point out that this Rudolf is the same one that Killed Hungary. Criticism of him is not entirely unwarranted.

And the Questions will indeed keep multiplying. After all, this guessing is FUN! ;)

~~*~~

The World of 1600
Chapter 6: The British Isles and North America
The War of the Roses

Part 1 of 3​

At the Fall of Constantinople, England received both a Boon and the most recent of a string of disasters.

1453-2-1.png

The British Isles in 1453
English Possessions in Southern France are not Shown

In 1453, King Henry VI went mad for the first time. Long had Henry been an invalid King, ruled over by Counts and Regents, however this latest development shattered what little authority he had. The Nobles began to organize into Camps to attempt dominance over the invalid King almost immediately.
While this went on, the young Prince Edward was born to King Henry and Queen Margaret, ensuring a succession and requiring more subtle measures by any who wished to move against the Ailing King. The Primary Antagonist against England would be the Duke Richard of York, eventually King Richard III of England.

It was between Margaret and Richard that the war innitially began, as their feuds for control of the Mad King Henry would divide the Nobles of England into two Camps, those supporting the Duke Richard Plantagenet of York, the so called Yorkist Camp, and those supporting Margaret and Edward, or the Lancastrian Nobles. Their Feud would largely be inconclusive for its early time, and it would also remain unnoticed, going on beneath the scene of the Kingdom itself, being conducted as an Invisible War of Spies and Influence throughout most of England.

Yorkist-LancastrianInfluence-2.png

The Division of Influence in England, with York in White, Lancaster in Red, and Neutral Lands in Light Grey

However it was only a matter of time before this Shadow War spilled out into the Light, and Fighting eventually broke out at The Battle of St Albans in 1455. Richard had long been dissatisfied with the situation in England, being essentially exiled to his Leutenancy in Ireland, while the Duke of Summerset exercised great authority both over the King and the Heir. As a supporter of the Popular Queen Margaret, who herself had numerous connections with the Nobles of England, Summerset was able to flaunt his power and seized numerous titles formerly held by Richard of York, an insult the latter would not stand. In 1455 he marched with a large army against both the King Henry, recently recovered from his Madness, and the Duke himself. He was joined in this endeavor by the Earl of Warwick Richard Neville, himself a personal enemy of Summerset since the latter was given a portion of Neville's Rightful Lands.

The Armies met at St Albans, and the result was hardly even a battle, so much as a slaughter. Richard of York's well Equipped, Veteran, and Larger army proved more than a match for the Royal Army, and easily defeated the latter. Henry was Captured and returned to the throne of England as little more than a Puppet under Richard of York. In a touch of Diplomatic Brilliance, Richard was dissuaded from claiming the throne directly, although he had a legitimate claim, and instead consented himself with being 'merely' Lord Protector of England.

However his influence was not to last. Although Henry fell into Insanity again in 1458, Richard was effectively ousted from control by a Coalition of Nobles, lead and organized by Queen Margaret, and unhappy with his flaunting of his power. He was quickly stripped of his title as Lord Protector, with a Regency Council assembled instead and lead by Margaret, who effectively prevented Richard from even taking part in the council by her superior influence.

After attempting to lead another campaign against the now largely united Nobles, this campaign being dismantled before it could be executed, Richard was assigned to lead the English Armies against France, as the latter attempted to seize English Possessions in Aquitaine. The assignment was a Death Sentance effectively, the French having a vastly superior army, and being lead by the King Charles VIII 'The Victorious' himself. Unfortunately for the Nobles of England, they had not accounted for the French King's Son Louis XI, who worked against his father and actively supported Richard, leading to the latter's swift and decisive victory in southern France.

With this Victory under his bealt, Richard moved North again, returning to Ireland, where he engaged in a short campaign across the small Island, seizing large amounts of territory directly and establishing protectorates over the many small Irish Duchies on the Island, creating a defined Heierarchy of States that maintained control of almost the entire Island safe the extreme North, as this was taken under the protection of the Kingdom of Scotland to check Richard's Expansion. By the time Richard returned to England in 1460, most of the island was under his control.

On Ireland, Richard acted like a King in his own Right. He Flaunted his Influence and Autonomy, glorifying himself in his victories, while subtly weaving a plot of connections with the English Nobility. Richard raised his own armies of Local Irish Men, granting the lands significant autonomy to gain their loyalty, and drawing taxes and tribute from many of the princes of England to gift it to his Irish Dependents. In England, the Nobles dared not to move against him directly, as they would be seen as the aggressors, and they dared not face the by this point Legendary Richard in Battle Directly.

KingdomofIreland-2.png

Richard's 'Kingdom of Ireland'

When Henry regained his sanity once more in early 1460, he dispatched envoys for Richard to appear before him in London and answer for his many insults. Richard accepted, and marched on London at the Head of an Army of 10000 in only a few months. With no time to raise a suitable levy, and the Earl of Warwick, himself a very powerful and influential man, siding once more with Richard of York, Henry and his Supporters were easily defeated, and with Richard's Popularity amongst the people of England and the Lesser Nobility, who had by this time grown very tired of the Upper Nobile's Stranglehold on Englsih Government, Richard was able to exert his influence in the Kingdom, culminating in the disenherittance of Prince Edward and the Crowning of Richard Himself as King of England in 1461.

As King Richard III, he would quickly set about renovating the Royal Court, attempting to permanently remove the influences of Margaret and her Son Edward, both of whom fled to Margaret's Native Lorraine for safety. There they would have only limited influence in England until 1471. In the Time before that point however, Richard utterly reshaped the Royal Beaurocracy. He Reorganized Noble Titles and stripped many of the Lancastrian Nobles of their titles, his popularity and personal holdings giving weight to his edicts and decrees. He took great delight in appointing a Regent over the Lancastrian Territories who was in effect little more than a puppet of Richard himself. By the end of his reorganization of the English Crown, Richard's Territory had more than Doubled in Size, as had the territory of his Friend the Earl of Warwick.

RichardsEngland-2.png

The Kingdom of England under Richard III of York at its height, in 1469
Showing Richard's Personal Holdings in White, His Irish Vassals in their Colors, and the Earl of Warwick's Personal Holdings in purple.
English Possessions in Southern France are not Shown

As Mentioned, Richard accomplished all of this with the influence gained from his Victories, granting him Popularity, and his Rich Personal Holdings. Unfortunately for Richard, he would lose both beginning in 1459, when many of the Irish Duchies rebelled.

With Richard Called away from England and the State, the Nobles began to reassert themselves, all of this was compounded by Louis XI seizing the English Possessions in Aguitaine, easily defeating the General Richard had Placed there, further sinking Richard's Popularity. When a Personal Dispute distanced Richard from the Earl of Warwick, often called 'Kingmaker' for his role in deposing two Kings in this conflict, Richard's Fate was sealed. The Earl of Warwick, Richard Neville, was one of the most powerful individuals in the entire Kingdom. His Personal Income was rivalled only by that of the King Himself and he possessed large swaths of Land in addition to his central location at the Heart of the Political Dealings of England. In Many ways, the Earl of Warwick had been King of England for a Long Time, periodically deposing whatever puppet officially sat upon the throne and chosing a new one.

Leaving his Irish Campaign in defeat to attempt to salvage his Kingshop of England, Richard was captured outside the City of York by his Son George, who had joined with his Father-in-Law the Earl of Warwick in support of Margaret and Edward. Richard was quietly executed the next day, legend has it by drowning in a vat of Wine, and Prince Edward became King Edward IV of England. The Innitial Effects of this were profound, with both Richard Neville and George Plantagenet gaining considerable territory. George Was Granted his father's Duchy of York, in addition to receiving the newly created Title of the Duke of Clarence, while Richard Neville was once again given Generalship In Perpetuity over Calais, sadly, he would die the following year, passing the Generalship over once more to the Crown to appoint to who it chose, and Passing his Lands over to his Son-in-Law George.

George at this point enterred the English Poltical Sphere with Excitement and Energy. By all Accounts he was a kind and generous person who rewarded his friends well, and did not hate even his most convicted of enemies. His Wealth ensured his power, while his Generosity with that wealth secured his popularity. In the first three years of his reign as Duke of Clarence he established a Court at the Castle Warwick that virtually rivalled London itself in terms of prestige, and certainly in popularity.

Edward himself was a little liked King. He was largely incompetent in the affairs of state, leaving those to his Mother Margaret and the Nobles of England. In addition, he found himself unable to Sire any Male Children, or even Children at all, becoming the father of only a single Daughter, named Mary. Thus it was generally understood that Edward would not bring stability to the English Line. Unfortunately, few other choices remained. George expressed no desire for the Crown, while his Brother's Edward and Richard were both distrusted among most of the Nobles of England, although they each had their followings, particularly Edward.

The Climate of Stability would indeed be Short Lived, when King Edward IV died in 1476. With the situation in Ireland having desintigrated further following Richard's Death, Edward went to Ireland himself in the summer of 1472 and began a massive campaign against the Irish Duchies. When innitial Victories brought him prestige and confidence, he began to press harder, seeking complete dominance over the island. Unfortunately for him, the tribes of Ireland briefly united in 1476, surrounding his army outside Sligo and killing him.

England plunged once more into chaos.

~~*~~

August 24th, 1597;

The Meeting with my new Patron went well, though I must admit feeling a bit unnerved by him. His Mannerisms are strange, he never looks at whoever is speaking, and he stared often into space, seemingly disinterested. He never stood, was not polite, and seemed largely disinterested in even my existence.

Likewise, his appearance was also strange. Although not truly inhuman, he seemed curious. His Physique was feminine, were he to change his dress, I think he would be easily confused for a woman. Regardless, any lack of physical assets he possesses is more than made up for by his intelligence.

We Played Chess together, and despite giving me the advantage of first move, He Resoundly Defeated me. Although I don't consider myself to be a tactician, it was dissapointing.

Regardless, we conversed of politics, and he has demonstrated himself to be keenly aware of the workings of the world. He was obviously well read, quoting numerous works as if it were second nature, being well versed in modern political thought, perhaps even more so than myself. His Position as Professor is not unwarranted.

My Price was set, I begin my research tomorrow, and have gained access to both his impressive Personal Library, and the University Library on his behalf.

~~*~~

Part 1 of 3
Get Ready for some Serious Dynastic Infighting
And pay Attention to one of the characters here, because he's about to do something that most of the real life versions of these characters probably would have considered Blasphemy.
I Consider it a Poetic Irony :D

Heh, Looks like splitting up the posts is just going to make me put more detail into each area. ;)
Oh Well, I have a very good reason for spending a lot of time on this part...

Last edited:
Really truly amazing! And I also appreciate the time you take answering questions and pointing us to some of the cool tools you use. So you've got great graphics, a great set of stories at the meta and personal level and some tool information. Thanks! Can't wait for what happens next. I don't have any guesses as to the patron of the author, but I haven't forgotten about that challenge.
:D

Truly impressive level of detail you're putting into this :) Just out of curiosity, how much is this part of the story related to in-game events?

@ Winner: Ferdinand is Human, he never advanced past Level 1, but What he, and Several Others, are is actually quite important to figuring out what the hell is going on, so keep guessing.

Some kind of transcendents? :D

Oh, and You missed something. Check the end of 'The Kingdom of France in 1500'. Leopold Ruled as Emperor for 3 Years between his Father's Suicide and Falling in Battle against Venice.

Ah, yes. I read it, but I kinda got confused about the names. Never mind.

More specifically, he succumbed to the 'Godly Ruler Curse' that the game has, as his stats were MIL9 ADM8 DIP6.

The infamous disease afflicting only God-Emperors - we're all familiar with it :D There is one cure though, let's call it reloadilin ;)