• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thus it Begins...

@ Marco Oliverio: Thanks! And feel free to ask more questions.
Keep looking Out though, once the first piece clicks everything will fall together.

Oh, and not all of the clues are necessarily going to be in the story...

@ Enewald; Damn Straight they are. Only thing more fun is Civil Wars in the Empire, and we'll get PLENTY of Those :D.
@ Winner: Game? Sadly, Not much. Most of the Internal Problems are my own creation to explain the lack of action on the part of the AI.
That being said, in this game a King Richard III did take the throne in 1457, and I've managed to keep the English Line in the AAR pretty well tied to the English Line in the Game.
Something' Like That.
Understandable, I think we're up to like 4 Charleses, and after this update we'll have like 8 Edwards, 5 Richards, and A George in England Alone.:wacko:
In a fit of irony, and this is his actual name in the game too, the English King who rules over the Reformation is named Adolphus. Understandably, he is Adolphus the First.
And I didn't use any Reloadalin this time because the God Emperor Leopold died and was replaced by the even more Godlier more Emperorier Friedrich VI (8,9,7, No foolin').

@ gabor: Nope, Richy seized direct control eventually, and the other regency over a young king was by a fairly loving father who instead wanted to build his son into a suitable successor, and he succeded, as his son founds a new dynasty which rules England until the end of WWII in 1947, taking the Kingdom to Superpower Status and eventually changing the fate of the world.

@ gabor + Winner: Enjoy the Filler.
A 'proper' update is forthcoming tonight, just need to finish making my maps look all olde like:

The KingShop

Eddy: Good Morning.

George: Good morning, sir. Welcome to the National Crown Emporium.

Ah, thank you my good man.

What can I do for you, sir?

Well, I was, uh, sitting in the Royal Court of London just now, Planning my Invasion of Ireland, and I suddenly came over all impeached.

Impeached, sir?

Supplanted.

Eh?

(In a broad Yorkshire accent) Eee I were all Run Out on a Rail, like.

Ah, Run Out on a Rail.

In a nutshell. And I thought to myself, 'A New Kingship will do the Trick'. So I curtailed my Ireland Conquerin' activites, sallied forth, and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some Royal Authority.

Come again?

I want to buy a Kingdom.

Oh, I thought you were complaining about Scotland.

Oh, heaven forbid. I am one who delights in all manifestations of the Celtic Lands.

Sorry?

(In a broad Yorkshire accent) Ooo, I like Scottland - you're forced to.

So he can go on being King up there, can he?

Most certainly. Now then, some Authority please, my good man.

Certainly, sir. What would you like?

Well, eh, how about a little Kingdom of England?

I'm afraid we're fresh out of Kingdom of England, sir.

Oh never mind, how are you on Yorkist Influence?

I'm afraid we never have that at the end of the week, sir. We get it fresh on Monday.

Tish tish. No matter. Well, stout yeoman, four Counties in Cornwall, if you please.

Ah. It's been on order, sir, for two weeks. I was expecting it this morning.

It's not my lucky day, is it? Er, Northumberland?

Sorry, sir.

Wales?

Normally, sir, yes. Today the van broke down.

Ah. Durham?

Sorry.

Tyre? Wear?

No.

Any Norwegian Hampshire, per chance?

No.

Herefordshire?

No.

Oxfordshire?

No.

Lincolnshire?

No.

West Yorkshire?

No.

South Yorkshire?

..... No.

Cheshire?

No.

Nottshire

No.

Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Middlesex, West Sussex, East Sussex, Kent, Herts, Beds?

No.

Calais, perhaps?

Ah! We have Calais, yes sir.

You do! Excellent.

Yes, sir. It's, ah ..... it's a bit conquered.

Oh, I like it conquered.

Well, it's very conquered, actually, sir.

No matter. Fetch hither le Roi de la Belle France! M-mmm!

I think it's a bit more conquered than you'll like it, sir.

I don't care how fucking conquered it is. Hand it over with all speed.

Oh .....

What now?

Charles II of Burgundy ate it.

Has she?

He, sir.

(pause)

Cheshire?

No.

Merseyside?

No.

Shropshire?

No.

Bristol?

No.

Somerset?

No, sir.

You do have some Kingdoms, do you?

Of course, sir. It's an King Shop, sir. We've got .....

No, no, don't tell me. I'm keen to guess.

Fair enough.

Er, Warwick?

Yes?

Ah, well, I'll have some of that.

Oh, I thought you were talking to me, sir. Mr Warwick, that's my name.

(pause)

Isle of Mann?

Ah, not as such.

Er, Devon?

No.

Nottinghamshire?

No.

Worcshire?

No.

Wiltshire?

No.

Cambridgeshire?

No.

Northamptonshire?

No.

Greater Manchester?

Not today, sir, no.

(pause)

Ah, how about Greater London?

Well, we don't get much call for it around here, sir.

Not much ca- It's the single most popular Crown in the world!

Not round here, sir.

And what is the most popular Crown round here?

Isle of Wight, sir.

Is it.

Oh yes, sir. It's staggeringly popular in this manor, squire.

Is it.

It's our number-one best seller, sir.

I see. Ah, Isle of Wight, eh?

Right, sir.

All right. Okay. Have you got any, he asked expecting the answer no?

I'll have a look, sir ..... nnnnnnooooooooo.

It's not much of a King Shop, is it?

Finest in the district, sir.

Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please.

Well, it's so clean, sir.

It's certainly uncontaminated by Crowns.

You haven't asked me about Ireland, sir.

Is it worth it?

Could be.

Have you- SHUT THAT BLOODY SCOTLAND UP!

(To Scottish King) Told you so.

Have you got any Ireland?

No.

That figures. Predictable really, I suppose. It was an act of purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place. Tell me:

Yes, sir?

Have you in fact got any Authority here at all?

Yes, sir.

Really?

(pause)

No. Not really, sir.

You haven't.

No, sir, not a scrap. I was deliberately wasting your time, sir.

Well, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to shoot you.

Right-O, sir.

(Shoots him) What a senseless waste of human life.

I see the Monty Python :p

I Hope you've Paid Attention, as England ends up being Critical to the Plot.

Yeah, It definitely came from Monty Python's 'Cheese Shop' Sketch.
But Order of the Stick is still awesome too...

~~*~~

The World of 1600
Chapter 6: The British Isles and North America
The War of the Roses

Part 2 of 3​

The Climate of Stability would indeed be Short Lived, when King Edward IV died in 1476. With the situation in Ireland having desintigrated further following Richard's Death, Edward went to Ireland himself in the summer of 1472 and began a massive campaign against the Irish Duchies. When innitial Victories brought him prestige and confidence, he began to press harder, seeking complete dominance over the island. Unfortunately for him, the tribes of Ireland briefly united in 1476, surrounding his army outside Sligo and killing him.

England plunged once more into chaos.

In this chaos, the Irish Lords completely threw off the shackles of English Dominance, occupying English Land on the Island and killing most of the former kings Ministers. Irish Occupation of Meath would last for almost thirty years, until the Young King Edward VI would lead a united England once more to Ireland.

Through all of this sailed George Plantagenet, Duke of Clarence, with a grace that would likely have amazed his father. He Remained aloof from the affairs of England, withdrawing to his considerable personal holdings and maintaining his status as 'merely' the Duke of Clarence. With his personal lands larger at this point than the lands of any other ruler in England, larger even than the Lands the King would have owned were he able to exert the slightest of his influence, Duke George remained free from any who would wish to attack him.

LandsofGeorgePlantagenet-2.png
The Personal Lands of George Plantagenet;
Duke of Clarence and York, Earl of Warwick, and now accepted 'Kingmaker' of England

The First claimant on the throne was Richard III's Elder Son Edward, who stylized himself Edward V and managed to secure London in 1478 with the support of the French King Louis XI, who received the English Holdings in Southern France and England's Recession of Claim upon them in return, and who, according to numerous letters, delighted in seeing his rival tear itself apart. Fortunately for England, France did not go further than this, turning its attention instead to internal matters and its conflict with the Duchy of Burgundy.

Edward V's acquisition of the throne manages to force Margaret to flee to Paris, even forcing the flight of his brother George who had been currently staying with the Queen. In the Chaos, George's Wife Isabel Neville was killed, leaving George embittered against his brother for the rest of his life, despite Edward's Attempts at reconciliation. George himself fled to his holdings and Warwick castle in particular, and receeded into a year long period of mourning. Broken only by his repeated insistence that he wanted nothing to do with English Politics, an insistence most unfavourable for England, as his personal power and popularity could easily have secured him the throne.

Without George's Support, George having also inherrited the role of 'Kingmaker' from his Father-in-Law, Edward's ability to press his influence beyond London collapsed. Royal Territories fell to their local magistrates, who pronounced themselves as hereditary lords of these territories. Although Edward possessed the military to exert influence further outwards, his military was largely composed of French Soldiers, which further undermined his influence and destroyed his popularity amongst the English Citizens. With French Soldiers receiving the blessing of the Crown to Ravage the Countryside, the Local Nobles gained further power and support, banding together into several alliances to survive and resist the Phantom King of England.

RoyalInfluenceunderEdwardV-2.png
The Domains of Influence under Edward V;
George Plantagenet is shown in Grey to denote his lack of action, while Royal Authority is shown in Red. Other Colors represent other Political Alliances between the Local Lords formed to check to the power of Edward V and Each Other. Of Note is the Land marked in Purple, Lands belonging or holding allegiance to Richard of York.

This State of Chaos would persist unchanged until 1488, when the French Kingdom fell to a regency under Charles. With their financial support removed, and Edward completely unable to pay them in anything more than promises, the French Kinghts rebelled against Edward and left the island shortly thereafter, ransacking London and the surrounding countryside along their path south to the Coast, finally seizing several English Naval Vessels and moving southward into Flanders, where they enterred the employment of Charles II of Burgundy.

Although they had been little more than trifles to Charles, being less than 5 Thousands Strong, they had been the only thing defending Edward, and after their pillaging of London, the People of the City had finally had enough. In the summer of 1488 the Rebelled in what became known as 'The Great Rebellion' and killed the King, and what Few Nobles remained alligned with him. The Peasant's themselves proclaimed a Peasant's Republic, a far less successful parallel to the later German Peasant's and Burgher's Republic. At its height it claimed ownership of a large amount of territory in South Eastern England, however it was ultimately short lived.

The Only Claimant willing to take the throne at this point was Richard, who remained largely powerless to do so. This of course did not stop him from attempting to claim not only the Throne, but the support of the House of Lancaster. Unfortunately for Richard, the Nobles would not stomach his rule, he being at this point infamous not only for his temper, but for his lack of skill at administration and diplomacy. The Nobles of England would not stomach another Warmonger King so soon after the disasters of this civil war, and so Richard remained powerless, trapped in Lancaster, referred to as Richard 'The Crownless.'

However in 1492, Margaret returned to England with a collumn of French Infantry, financed by Charles II in exchange for Calais once she secured the throne. While Castille and Portugal were exploring new lands, England returned once more to civil war.

Margaret was supported once more by George, returning himself from his Torpor to the Political Scene, and being given the hand of Margaret's Grand-Daughter Mary in Marriage as thanks. However, reluctant to bring his lands into outright war, and with the nobles being extremely hesitant to embrace Margaret, especially when she appeared at the head of 8 Thousand French Infantry, George refrained from providing full support, leading to Margaret's conquest of Southern England and London, but failure to secure the remaining portions of the island.

In a spot of cruel irony, the remaining free nobles instead allied with Richard, considering virtual autonomy under a puppet king to be superior to the stability offered uner Margaret's Boot. With England split down the middle and effectively divided along the line formed by George's Lands, the War Ground itself to a Halt. Neither Margaret nor Richard were willing to risk open war with the other, and England Enjoyed its first brief moment of peace since the Kingdom of Richard III almost twenty years earlier. The Nobles were more than willing to stomach this shaky peace.

Margaret in turn attempted to persuade George to stand against his brother and take the Throne himself, however George refused to do this, claiming not to hate his brother Richard, having never been wronged by him, and to be merely doing his duty as a Duke, and preserving what Peace he could in this period without a Proper King. This Peace Preserved between the two Houses and Duke George himself standing between them both, he remained content, and slipped once more into political stagnancy.

TheThreeEnglands-2.png
The Domains of Influence During 'The Three Englands';
Richard Claimed York's White, while Margaret claimed Lancaster's Red. George's Holdings are shown in Light Grey.

Sadly, this peace would not last, and In 1493, Charles II, growing tired of waiting for Margaret's Victory, seized Calais himself, cutting his support of Margaret and demanding the French Infantry returned to him. This Blow to Margaret's Authority shattered the alliance of Nobles she had constructed, and with no antagonist to unite them, Richard's Alliance collapsed soon as well.

In 1493, the Entire Kingdom of England Collapsed in on itself once more. However This Chaos itself would be as short lived as the peace that proceeded it, and would forge a Powerful Kingdom.

~~*~~

I think I'm going to try to stick to a Bi-Weekly update schedule. Updates will be posted on Monday and Friday, generally around Midnight (for me; Eastern Standard Time), with a possible mini-update coming in on Wednesday at Midnight again.

If the Post doesn't come on Midnight, I might have missed my opportunity, because starting at precisely Midnight my access to Paradox Forums stops working for no adequately explored reason. If that happens, wait till Tuesday or Saturday, and I will post early in the Morning.

Last edited:
If you stick to this level of detail, this AAR will be epic :)

George may have no choice but to become king. (For the good of the country of course) Who else is there that can be a compromise candidate that both sides can stomach? Or is it as Enewald suggested going to be the Tudors?

Noo! No Tudors!

What do you have against

1) a ruthless businessman-king;
2) a lecherous delusional wife-murdering authoritarian;
3) a precocious bigoted protestant boy-king;
4) a fanatical catholic queen;
5) ... and a mostly indecisive supposedly-virgin queen who became famous only because she condoned piracy and had accidentally survived the Spanish onslaught?

:D

What do you have against

1) a ruthless businessman-king;
2) a lecherous delusional wife-murdering authoritarian;
3) a precocious bigoted protestant boy-king;
4) a fanatical catholic queen;
5) ... and a mostly indecisive supposedly-virgin queen who became famous only because she condoned piracy and had accidentally survived the Spanish onslaught?

:D

you forgot the nine-day queen out of nowhere, a promise not fulfilled or a fanatic in-the-making

anyway, Vishaing, great update! can't wait for all the pieces of the puzzle to click

Gettin in the Swing of Things...

@Winner: The Detail will only grow greater as I get into the Peasant's Wars and the Reformation, culminating in the Revolutions, where I expect to put a single 5000 word post to a single year.
The Revolution spanned two Decades.
Sit Tight.
@Enewald: Why is everything Incoming with you?
Oh, and Wheat & Say.
@English Patriot: Don't You Worry.
@Winner: But we already have all of those without the Tudors.
And Lizzie is significantly more active in this time-line, effectively ruling the Kingdom for her warmongering brother (the official King), and doing a lot to mitigate the flak from 'The Long Decade' when England (at Austria's Request) occupied the Northern Netherlands to keep them from France, beginning at 1577 and set to end at 1587, but in practice continuing until the Dutch Republic joined the German Confederation in 1512, hence the name.
@gabor: Got those too.
And you cannot really wait, as I've written the story such that any potential supernatural elements don't need to exist for the story to work. They are much Like Schrodinger's Cat. Until you determine and call out their name, they shall not become real. Till then, they are naught but the ramblings of the deranged.

@All; Long Awaited, I'm sure, our first look at Freddy and his Little Wife.
5 Narrative Posts in and I finally get to the subjects. This is becoming a habit for me...

~~*~~

Narriatives

The People of the Renaissance
Emperor Leopold 'The Slain'
November 23rd, 1497; Visiting the Lovely Couple

Part 1

I didn't like this.
This was too far from the war. I didn't like it.

"Go South, suppress the Peasant's Rebellion in Carinthia. I can handle this war yet. Tis already won, after all." My Father had said with his characteristic smirk and lack of details. I Had counterred, 'why should I go, you are Emperor, and I am General of the Army, I should stay with the war while you move to pacify the realm.' He would have none of that.

He would never have any of that.

I suppose I couldn't complain. It was always beautiful here, and although it remained chilled, it was still warmer than the Frozen North of Europe.

Here, was what was once a canton of little import on the edge of a federation that preferred to be less important. Here, just below the Alps themselves, sat the small city of Schaffhausen, though How I could call it small I do not know.

No More than a Decade ago, when we Habsburgs returned to Schaffhausen and subjugated it once more, it had a population of perhaps 4 Thousands. Now, under the careful oversight of my Youngest Brother and his little wife, it had risen to almost ten times that number, becoming a city almost as large as Vienna itself. The Citadel on the hill had been rebuilt and expanded into a massive complex of stone walls, using marble imported from Italy, and Stone carved from the Alps themselves to form a mass of twisting walls and bridges carved into the sides of the hills. Standing watch over the city's walls were statues too numerous to count. Apparently an artist of some report fled north from Roma and took refuge first in Milan, and then moved to Friedrich's Court when he heard of an open call to artists and the promise of patronage without restrictions. With the Fires of the many torches that dotted the castle walls, at night, the city shone in silver and gold for all to see.

And Yet my brother had accomplished this without bankrupting his subjects.

Still I didn't understand my father's Insistence.

We sat at a small wooden table in a tower on the west wall of the complex, between us lay a board of Chess, the pieces moved several times, the game reaching its height. Currently, my Little Brother, though again the term little is poorly applied in this case, sat tilted to his left, his bearded chin resting between his hand's fore-finger and thumb, his eyes locked on the board.

It looked almost comical to behold, were he not so monstrous. My Words miss, he is monstrous only in appearance. His Face is pleasant enough, though it is formed in sharp angular lines, and rests upon a massive Frame. Indeed, my 'little' brother is likely several hands taller than me, and wider, a picture of perfect physical development. Wreathing his head was a massive mane of very dark brown hair, almost billowing around that average face.

Had I a regiment of men such as him, I could destroy any army with ease, and forego the use of any tactics at all, simply smashing through their ranks like a flail through a piece of cloth.

I Didn't know what he was thinking, I had not inheritted that gift of insight from my Father or Grand Father, and Friedrich was always so reserved with his emotions and thoughts anyways, however I guessed he was bored. His Expression was serious, concentrated upon this problem. It had not changed in several minutes, as he sat pondering the rather simple board arrangement.

He Moved, a predictable move, not nearly close to the best move.

Well, Tactics had never been his strongest point.

I Raised my Hand quickly, moving a pawn to counter his advance.

"You're too good at this game. And I am out of Practice." He said gruffly, his characteristic bluntness showing through. There was not unpleasantness in his voice, nor anger or hatred, perhaps, amusement? Was that the emotion I detected?

"Would you like to end our game?"

"Hardly." Whatever Amusement had been hidden in his voice was gone. However no further emotion swelled forth to take its place.

He sat once more into his contemplative pose, playing with the two tufts of hair that sprung forth from the sides of his chin with his middle finger and thumb, weaving the fingers around and through them. He Exerted an air of quiet contemplation, as he studdied the board and myself. The Face of this behemoth was charged with purpose, and I think, were it possible, the pieces would have moved themselves at his command.

"How is your wife?" I asked him quietly.

"As She always has been. Last I knew she was visiting her brother in Antwerpen."

"Duke Charles II is currently at Dijon." I responded, my eyes narrowing slightly.
"Then perhaps she was visiting her Brother in Dijon."

Three more moves passed between the two of us in silence, his forces were being pressured.

"Regardless, she had suggested that she would be returning some time this week."
"You know not what time she will arrive?"
"No, Why would I?"

We passed another few moves in silence.

"Now this game is boring me." He stated gruffly. The match was even, although I had a slight advantage in position, it was only slight. Our Queens were both threatenning each other, and both defended, though his by his King, whereas I merely risked a Bishop.

I accepted this end, both of us leaving the game unfinished and walking along one of the walls of the Citadel. We Passed through the veritable forest of Statues slowly, I took in the sights, they truly were amazing.

"Where did you find this Sculpter?"
"Fleeing the Pope. Apparently his Holiness wanted the man to paint some large scale work, which the Sculpter, as he insists he is referred to as, did not like this."
"Hmmm. What did the Pope do?"
"The same thing the bastard always does, beg and plead for someone else to do the work for him, and then make do with Second Best."

I was only slightly startled. Perhaps it was the upbringing under Humanist Works, however the corruption and powerlessness of the Pope had long been grating on all of our nerves. Still, Holy Mother Church remained Holy Mother Church, though at times it seemed neither Holy nor Mothering, nor even a Church so much as a business.

These thoughts were straying too far, I ended my line, as we turned and gazed over the walls. I Stole glances at my Brother, as he stood straight and tall against the chilled wind of this Alpine Winter, his fur lined Cloak hanging practically limp upon him, afraid to rise up with the breeze. His Expression never changed, and I thought for a moment the beauty of this place might be lost on him, as his eyes reached out to touch the Rhine Falls, but his face kept them constrained behind its cage of Bone and Flesh.

"This is a Beautiful Land." I said softly in the waning day.
"Is it?" Was the response.

"Do you dislike it?"
"I care neither for nor against most of it."

"Why not?"

There was a long pause here, again his thoughts hid themselves behind a cage of iron far too thick for any ram to break through. His Face never changed, and were it not for the color of his skin, I would almost have taken him to be one of his Artist's Contributions.

"It is... Predictable." He struggled with the word slightly, it hung upon his lips for a few seconds before escaping into the night, never to return.

"Does that not have its own charm?"
"Perhaps, but not for me, and not for My Maria."

"Would you like a different parcel of land?"

Again there was another pause. This one was longer, deeper, his eyes darkenning in the lowerring sun after briefly flashing their own deep red. Several times it seemed almost as if he were about to speak, though I know not why I thought this, his features never moved.

"Land holds no interest for me."
"Then why do you care for this land so lovingly?"

"I Don't."

This simple answer ended that train of conversation as swiftly as if one of us had been stabbed. There was no further interest for him there, and he remained stoic and silent as the grave, his hair briefly risking flight, before falling once more beside his head.

I was about to ask him what he thought of receiving but this pittance of a land, when I saw his eyes quickly move, growing wider slightly in the deepening dark, and then he was off, running headlong down the walls and stairs, leaping them two or three at a time with reckless abandon.

I Turned in the path his eyes had followed and saw a small red coach rolling into the Outer Courtyard.

"So here is the Little Lady herself." I thought, as I walked down the stairs after my brother. It was amazing, for one so impossibly large, he could move with the grace of the Wind itself. Perfect Physical Condition I reminded myself, the likes of which I would never surpass.

~~*~~

December 22, 1598;

Research Progresses smoothly, there are few Distractions in the University Library.

My Patron continues to be victorious at all of our games.

He has had no visitors other than myself in the time that I have worked for him, he doesn't even entertain the visits of his pupils into his office. This is understood around the complex, and the pupils seem not to mind.

I now Realize I Know not what he Teaches.
I shall ask him tomorrow.

~~*~~

I think I shall include a Journal Entry with every post. They only take like two minutes to write. I think this weekend I shall endeavor to write all of them, and some narratives.

I Wear Sunglasses at Night

@Enewald; Nope, I was born and raised;
<Puts Flag on Head>
IN AMERICA!
That being said, I am of German and French Descent, so I'll surrender, but only to myself. ;)*

As for the Capital Letters, that's just how I write.

~~*~~

The World of 1600
Chapter 6: The British Isles and North America
The War of the Roses

Part 3 of 3​

In 1493, the Entire Kingdom of England Collapsed in on itself once more. However This Chaos itself would be as short lived as the peace that proceeded it, and would forge a Powerful Kingdom.

Out of all of this, emerged the man who many had hoped would rule the Kingdom from the start of his political career, as George Plantagenet claimed Central Authority in the Kingdom. Moving from Warwick into London proper early in 1495, when the entire Kingdom was tearing itself to pieces and would have been entirely willing to let him completely remake all of its institutions, George swept into the city at the head of only a small portion of his armies, with a supply column several times the size that needed to support such a token force, bringing with them the wealth and produce, as well as countless bundles of food into the city.

London had been largely starved down to destruction in the two years between the total collapse and its liberation by George. The Peasants, having once more risen up against the crown and taken the city, had been under siege intermittently by Royalist Forces for the entire two years, preventing the cultivation of crops and ensuring that the entire South-Eastern portion of England, likewise starved and ravaged by roving bands of mercenaries, peasants, and royalist forces, had been brought to the brink of collapse.

It was at this point, the point of gravest chaos throughout English History, that George Plantagenet claimed authority in England. He Moved into the capital city and assumed the effects of King, though he claimed the crown not for himself, for that conceit was still too far beneath him, but for his Son, born just barely two months before George's March Unto London. In 1495, the English Throne got its first look at the beginnings of a long period of stability.

With the depths to which the English Throne had sunk, George was able to vastly reshape the entire Nation. With his Son King in title only, George leapt into the English Court with excitement, absorbing several territories without nobles to lead them, these nobles having in many cases been killed by their own peasants, and reestablishing ties with the territories that had broken to independence.

DivisionsofEnglandatGeorgesDeath-2.png
The Divisions of Authority During The Reign of King George;
Direct Royal Control is shown in Yorkist White, while the rest of England is devided into Blue and Red Lines.
The Red Lines Denote Hereditary Possessions, the last vestiges of Feudalism, with the Darker Red owing allegiance to Dukes and other Nobles, while the Bright Red owes allegiance directly to Edward.
The Blue Territories show Non-Hereditary Positions attained by Appointment. These Territories were considered a part of the Royal Demesne, and had their leadership appointed directly by the King, who all such governors reported to directly, the only exception being The Duchy of Wales, which was further subdivided.

Most of the next few years would be spent reasserting Royal Authority upon the Isle, however he refrained from exerting his influence unto Ireland or attempting to reclaim Calais. Instead, The Kingdom of England divorced itself entirely from the Mainland, focusing once more onto the Main British Isles and attempting to pull all of the island into English orbit.

The First conquest of George would be Scotland, though George, as always, never moved against Scotland by Military Means. Instead, George entered into negotiations with the Scottish Queen Mary II, and eventually succeeded in pledging the hand of the Queen's Daughter, also named Mary, to his Son Edward. With the northern border secured, and the fortress of Roxburgh, seized by James II in 1469, who died in the siege, now officially recognized as once more within the Scottish Crown, this brought the Two Kingdoms closer together, and directly precipitated the deepening ties between the two Kingdoms in the Early and Mid 16th Century.

Scotland itself had been largely isolated in the lat 15th Century, consumed with its own political crises. Although King James II had succeeded in wresting himself and the Scottish Throne from Noble Dominance, the Kingdom had been far from stable. King James II had been an able king, popular after his victories against the Douglases, and well liked due to his energetic and genial mannerisms and his presence in all parts of the Kingdom.

James II had kept no specific court in his Kingdom, although the official capital had remained stationary, instead preferring to travel through his Kingdom and address his nobles directly. Although he had planned to invade England to retake Roxburgh as early as 1460, he held off from doing this due to the power of Richard III, who controlled the Fortress. Instead he besieged the fortress in 1469 during the chaos at the End of Richard's Reign, seizing the castle, although he himself fell when an artillery piece near him exploded.

His Son James III was largely incapable at administration and military, however was a shrewd diplomatic genius who used his guile and silver tongue to maneuver his nobles and administrators against each other. Although forced by his own lack of skill to release much of the Royal Authority to local Governors, he ensured that the position was one the governor was appointed to, not born into, thus keeping a tight grip upon them and beginning Scotland's transition out of Feudalism.

Sadly, his reign would be short lived, when he fell to illness in 1482. Although his reign had been prosperous and stable, with Scotland not engaging in any wars and remaining largely isolated and free from the political problems of its southern neighbor, the King was Not well liked in his Kingdom. Although he had also been taken to traveling through the countryside, his lack of exertion of Scottish Influence on its weakened neighbor made him appear weak to the peasantry and Lesser Nobility. The only event of note was an attempted rebellion by Alexander, the self styled Alexander IV, Duke of Albany. Without Foreign support, and with James III succeeding in isolating Alexander internally, the war was over quickly.

Sadly, James III's son Charles I would inherit none of his grace. Charles I's reign would be exceedingly short, lasting but three years, and would primarily be consumed with grandiose and unrealistic plans to expand Scotland's Continental Holdings, culminating with a disastrous campaign to conquer Brittany which would remove Scotland from its alliance with France.

In 1485, Charles I would be quietly deposed in favor of his Elder Sister Mary, crowned Queen Mary II of Scotland. Mary II would be a popular Queen, well liked among the people of Scotland, she would tie the Kingdom to England, however this was not apparent at the time. The Succession from Queen Mary passed down to her Son James IV, at the Queen's Death in 1516, however the young King was not the Ruler Scotland needed.

James IV was a recluse, uncomfortable amongst people and panicky in large crowds. His Diplomacy was largely handled by his various Chancellors and his Sister Primarily, and his hesitation when surrounded prevented him from leading the armies of Scotland in Battle. Despite this, he proved to be utterly brilliant with respect to finances and economics in general, balancing the Scottish Budget and expanding Scotland's trade to new heights. His reign however, would see a greater reliance on England due to his Sister's Influence.

In 1515, George Plantagenet would pass from this Earth, the last member of the Independent Plantagenet Line, as his son Edward would create the new Dynasty of Lancaster-Plantagenet, more commonly referred to as Lancaster-York, and officially bring the crown forever from the grip of the War of the Roses of England.

Although only 10 years of age at the time, Edward was involved, by his own demands, in the affairs of the Kingdom from the moment he was Crowned. Although Regents maintained a firm grip upon the Kingdom's government, Edward managed to influence and in some cases dictate laws and decrees as early as his eleventh year, ensuring England that a Wise King was in their Future.

When he came of age and officially disbanded the Regency Council in 1520, the affairs of the State hardly noticed any change at all. Most of the Regents instead took up important positions around the Court, and Edward himself entered politics with an energy that would surely have made his own very energetic father swell with pride. Having been strongly educated under the greatest tutors England could secure, with significant reading and study on the new Humanist movement, Edward brought the Crown to new Heights.

Beginning where his father had ended with the further restriction of the Nobility, Edward ruled over a united, and streamlined Bureaucracy which controlled a now fully recovered Kingdom. With his Wife's Influence in Scotland increasing under the backing of England, the Islands of Britain were coming further under the sway of London, with the single exception of Ireland.

George had largely ignored Ireland, preferring to put the workings of his new Kingdom in order, and these efforts show most clearly in the quick acknowledgement of Edward, who took the throne without any trouble or talk of rebellion. Edward however, given a powerful base from which to exert his influence, began the English Reconquest of Ireland with a passion and drive.

His Conquest of the Isle would be quick and effective, Edward proving himself to be more skilled at command of an Army that he was at any other task. Leaving the Administration and Diplomacy of England in the hands of his wife Mary, Edward would spend the next three years in Ireland, however this shall be addressed later.

Diplomatically, Edward and Mary exerted their influence where they could, turning the English Crown again to the Continent, though only diplomatically and with trade. Mary took control of much of the Diplomacy and Court Life of Scotland, while James IV would maintain the Administration of the Finances of Scotland, and Edward would administrate England when he was there, but spent most of his time in Command of the Armies of Both Kingdoms. Although plans for any great integration of Scotland into England were consistently stopped by Queen Mary, who herself preferred her homeland to remain as free from foreign influences as possible, many of Scotland's Islands were transfered to England, whose more powerful Navy was more capable of policing them and protecting them from Piracy. In addition, many parts of Scotland, particularly the Highlands, were effectively controlled by King Edward and his armies, as they had been occupied after a failed Scottish Rebellion.

During the reign of both monarchs the Reformation would begin in earnest and accelerate under the corruption and stagnation of Friedrich VI's Control of the Papacy, however Edward and Mary would remain Catholic, instead promulgating edicts of tolerance. All of this will be more fully discussed later.

Edward's Reign would quietly come to an end in 1546 when Edward himself fell to an infection in an old Military Wound. His Son Adolphus, named such to deepen ties with Austria, and married to the Habsburg Princess Alexandra, would take the thrown quietly and peacefully, making Edward's Reign one of stability and calm. The Next Few years would be anything but stable however, as Adolphus would officially sever ties with the Church of Rome, and take his Kingdom into Protestantism.

BritishIslesatEdwardsDeath-2.png
The British Isles at the Ascension of King Adolphus I

~~*~~

That was a Long Chapter, but Like I said, I have a very good reason for spending such time on England.
After all, This Chapter is sowing the seeds for the War to End All Wars...

*The above is a Joke.

Vishaing I've nominated you as WritAAR of the week. Here's the link to the notice in the relevant thread.

New WritAAR of the week.

Well, I have been assiduously reading all sorts of AARs this week to pass on the honor/baton/golden statue as directed in the instructions.

I have to say that while there are lots of amazing AARs out there I've been totally blown away by Vishaing's A Tale of Two Germanies.

The graphics are amazing - I mean mind-boggling! The story is intense and complicated in a way that totally engages you, and there's a mystery at its core that I'm very interested to see revealed. On top of that, Vishaing has taken the time to point people to graphic resources, given some tips on what he's done and how he's done it, and been an all-around fantastic AAR community member.

So, congrats to Vishaing on being nominated as WriteAAR of the week! Go check out his AAR and be prepared to be amazed! :D

You've got an amazing thing going on there - it's fantastic!

Guys named 'Adolf' who also have ties with Austria tend to make me nervous :D

Another amazingly interesting read. I really enjoy your... hm... let us say selection of events to write about.
The only thing that makes me sad is the 'part 3 of 3' part.
And that the poor Pope lost his Island friends. :mad:

Oh, and congratulations on the WritAAR!

Previously, on A Tale of Two Germanies... BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

@Enewald: Seriously, but its there in the England File, with a 5% chance no less.
@Marco Oliverio: I'm going to thank you again for that, and you're going to accept it ;).
@Winner: You'll love the actual book I'm planning on writing set in this time line. It's got an All Star Cast. :D
@Tweetybird: Thanks. And whats wrong with Parts? Or are you upset I dragged on update out into three posts? And the Pope ends up really disliked throughout most of the world, though through most of its history England was actually very tolerant of Catholics in this timeline.

~~*~~

The following AAR is entirely fictitious. Any similarity to the history of any person, living or dead, or any actual events is entirely expected and intentional. Except where specifically noted otherwise in the cast and crew credits, all celebrity voices are impersonated and no celebrities have endorsed any aspect of this show. Is anybody still reading after all that?

~~*~~

Other Reading

Ave Maria
By Claudia Koonz
Forward​

This Work I hope to be a landmark in the study of someone who, until this time, has remained so far buried under the obscurity of time as to be largely unnoticed by not only her contemporaries, blinded as they were by prejudice or simple lack of interest, but also unnoticed by the more knowledged historians of this age. I hope I can suitably bring to light the experiences of a woman overshadowed by those who would prefer to ignore her.

Of the Empresses of Austria, the one studied the least is Empress Maria, and this is a crime against her, for her contributions to the Empire, even though short lived, remain as notable as the contributions of any other Empress, if not more so. It is likely for that reason that she has been so deeply pushed into the shadows of the histories of this age, with Hugo Grotius, the man who many regard as an authority on the affairs surrounding the Habsburg Dynasty before and during the German Revolution, gave her only a single paragraph, merely to announce her death.

The impact of Maria upon the world is admittedly hard to precisely determine, as she appears in very few writings, however this does not mean that she was without impact. Instead, and this view has become increasingly more common in recent years, it is suggested that she was of greater import than her Husband Friedrich 'The Terror' of Europe.

This View has become increasingly common as a way of explaining the utter paralysis Experienced by Austria and The Empire as a Whole following Maria's Death. It also explains the suddenly strained relations between Friedrich and his Children, as well as Austria's susbsequent defeats in both the Reformation Wars and Revolutions, despite facing vastly weaker forces and having previously triumphed over vastly superior forces.

The State of Things is Finally being acknowledged, and we find ourselves reaching a viewpoint not admitted in the four hundred years following their reign, that Maria Drove the Empire.

~~*~~

Narriatives

The People of the Renaissance
Emperor Leopold 'The Slain'
November 23rd, 1497; Visiting the Lovely Couple​

By the time I had reached the courtyard, the carriage was already stopped, the door openned, and there she was, standing straight and tall in her red gown. Before her, bowing slightly as he extended his right hand towards her, stood my brother. There was a smile on her face, her own right hand extending towards him, with her left hand closed resting upon her heart.

Their hands touched, and her smile grew larger, as he helped her descend to the ground and then stepped beside her towards me.

He was smilling.

I Bowed my head slightly as they reached me. "Lady Maria." I was smiling, her's was and always had been infectious. Her Dress was beautiful as always, exceedingly elaborate and rich both in ornamentation and the shade it was colored, as always, a deep red, darker than the Burgundy most would likely have expected her to wear.

Beyond simple clothing, her face seemed small and delicate, or perhaps that was merely because of whom it was placed beside, placed lightly atop a full frame. I suppose my looking her in the eye would serve as a better description of her physical stature than my words.

"How do you do? Heir Leopold." Her Voice was soft, eminating breathlessly forth from her form, which itself showed almost no evidence of having spoken, her lips themselves hardly seemed to move, having moved less than the solitary woman still sitting within the carriage in a simple red riding suit.

"As Well as ever." I replied.

She Laughed, a Pleasant Laugh, almost childlike in its earnestness. "Frustrated?"

"A Little."

"My Brother could never stand to be away from his duty." Friedrich responded. There was the slightest hint of a laugh behind his voice.

A Servant approached us as we stood there. "A Meal has been prepared my Lords. It awaits you in the main Dining Hall."

~~*~~

The Meal had been readily consumed. We sat contented together in the main Library of the Central Citadel. All around us books fled upwards into the ceiling of the room. They had amassed an incredible collection, alongside their works of art both sculptural and upon canvas, and their contributions towards architectural feats, the two were revitalizing the Central Alpine Mountains on their own.

We spent the rest of the night talking of various things, beginning with the northern Campaign and my displeasure at having been forced to leave it.

"You must learn to relax." Maria said with a sense of simple amusement.

"He Really Must." My brother added.
"I need not take advice from you on how to relax. It was you who remained stoic throughout our game and all of the our conversations.
"You just don't know what relaxes me."

A Pause. He Sat beside her, his hand envelopping hers on the table between and before them. Her in her elaborate dress, he in his formal modern suit, a massive cloak in simple black shrouding his shoulders and billowing around the base of his chair as his hair did around his neck and head. She leaned upon the Left arm of her chair, almost pressing her head into his shoulder.
They were both smiling.

"You should relax now, My Brother, I fear once Emperor you will not have such a chance."
"Will you Aid me?"
"Always, in anything you require Aid in."

"Good, I imagine I shall require a General to replace me."
"I cannot match you strategically."
"You'll learn, we should have at least a decade to train you." I smirked slightly, It was at least slightly true, he was far from lacking in skill when it came to tactics."

He Smiled broader, his eyes disappearing beneath his lids. He almost lost the terror his stature so readily inspired.
Or perhaps it grew greater to know that one such as he could be amused.

"So you don't want any more land?" I asked.
"I told you, land does not interest me."

He Glanced at his wife, who had until this point remained largely silent, adding only small, largely meaningless comments when the conversation drew her attention. It did so now.
"Think of the good we could do with more land my Love."
"Perhaps, but it would be so dreadfully boring."
"I'm sure we could make it Interesting." She smiled, and I thought for the briefest of moments she appeared as would a fox. Her ears almost seemed elongated, and had I not known better, I would have thought her eyes, no, only her right, the eye furthest from Friedrich, was ablaze.

I shook my head slightly when they weren't looking and the phantasm passed from my vision like the dark before the fury of the Sun itself. She was once more simply Maria, a woman who I recognized as tall, however whom remained dwarfed by her Husband Goliath.

We Conversed for many more hours, however I must admit my mind was elsewhere. I could not shake the sight of her burning eye, though I saw them never again. I wasn't sure, but it had been as if I had pierced some great shroud that hid the Heavens from me, blinding me with the Brilliance of the Celestials.
Or Perhaps the Abyssals, I could hardly tell at this point, the lights would likely both be blinding, but in the end, did not both ride wings of Fire?

I hid myself then. My Responses became almost mechanical, though such was not detectable by any without the interest or skill to read the minds of others, who I knew my Brother was not, and who I hoped his Wife was also not.
I hid myself in thoughts of war and conflict, the blood of battle surrounding me, and giving me sollace. The World was simple, predictable. The intentions of the Rulers of Europe were easy to determine from their realms. The Propserous were interested in Greed, the Poor but impressive in Glory, those that were neither were incompetent or uninterested.

My Brother and his Wife gave no indication to any. Their realm was rich, but impressive, and yet they made no grabs for anything else.

I was brought back to my world forcefully. I could not refuse, this question was complex.

"Do you intend to bequeth unto me some greater parcel of land than this?"
"I don't know." was my only response, I did not want to discuss this. "I know not what the future will bring."
"You will have the Throne however."
"So it Appears. I have been sworn in as Lord of the Armies of Austria, and I control the land's Finances. I think it likely Father will abdicate before long."

Friedrich Sighed.
"He is always sad."
"What do you mean?" I asked, this wasn't like Friedrich.
"There is a Melancholy around him, there always has been. Do you mean you have never noticed. I have. Ever since, well." He looked at his Wife and Trailed off before resuming with; "He never loved after his first Wife's Death."

"He Didn't, I don't think he loves our mother."
"He Doesn't."

The three of us sat in silence once more. Although Friedrich was now once more his grim self, his wife still beamed a smile forth into the gloom. It was disheartenning in its simple beauty, like a fire, to a Moth who understand what such would do.

The Silence lasted for a long time, and I attempted to free myself from my body, hiding once more in thoughts of the Campaigns, who I would need to fight against in my Tenure as Emperor. France was Rebuilding, Hungary could be Trouble, althought they would likely remain occupied by the Turks, Poland would...

"Do You think father cares for us?"

The question shocked me, I had hardly heard it, and he might have repeated it. I acknowledged that I heard it when I could, turning towards him nervously, I could not hide my emotions any further. I was released from his gaze in a moment.

I couldn't respond in time. I sat there, my mind going endlessly over the last few words we had spoken at the battle of Kelding. Did he?
He wanted Friedrich far from the throne, despite his obvious ability. Why was this? I could come to no conlusion, and before I could say anything, there was a knock at the door, slight, barely audible, the door openned without being asked, and a barely familiar female figure stepped soundlessly into the room. I had my look at her, in the dark of candlelight. She was small, with an angular nose and large golden eyes hidden under a veritable mane of Pale Gray Hair, extending at least down to the middle of her lean, almost muscular thighs. She stood still in the simple red Riding Outfit, now with a pale grey cloak thrown almost carelessly over it. She was attractive, in an exotic manner. Was she greek? She Spoke in flawless German.

"Lady Maria, a Petitioner has arrived, it is Important." The Tone of her voice changed not in the slightest from word to word.
Maria Sighed, leaning slightly once more into her husbands arm, clutching his hand. She did not have to sigh a second time.

"Worry not my dear, I shall deal with this." He Stood, towering over this new figure, though she neither bent backwards to escape nor upwards to seek his face, merely moving to the side to let him pass and then following. As she closed the door, I heard the briefest of a sentance from my Brother.
"Who is he Seatailoss." Did I hear the name correctly? I do not know, for my mind was drawn elsewhere, as the door seemed to fade into the wall.

The sound of it shutting had not even begun when I turned to her once more. The Click sounded, and just as her eyes locked onto mine, her smile Died In the Beat of a Heart.

~~*~~

Why did no one tell me I was constantly misspelling Narratives?
I can't wait to see people's Reactions to this....