• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Prussia Rules

Captain
57 Badges
Nov 29, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Portugal: A Borda do Mundo

Preface

To the readers of this sources edition,

What you will see after this preface will be a compilation of many sources of the Early Modern Period coming from the kingdom of Portugal or were written about it in other nations. Both official records as ego documents like diaries have been included whenever they were deemed resourceful for giving insight into this moving period for the world. Both individual experience of change, important events and progress as well as official records will deal with the mentality of middle-class citizens, clergy, noblemen as well as with the view of the State itself on how the country should evolve and deal with the challenges of it’s own time. The creators of this work has made great efforts to check sources against each other, placed side-notes wherever sources clearly contradicted with the factual truth as came out of the many sources that were used to create this source edition. It was however considered to keep every valuable source in this book to show exactly that mentality which made the Early Modern Age what it was. Of course, the problem to create a balanced and complete insight in this period of time, we should have sources from those who were illiterate at this time: farmers, labourers and others who were on the bottom of the social hierarchy. Information about this part of the society is scarce, so it was required to use sources of clergy, educated burghers and noblemen, which are coloured by prejudices and mentality of these groups. Nonetheless the goal is to give a balanced and colourful image of this fascinating and determining age of mankind.
This reworked edition is illustrated by many maps and graphics.

castle-artwork-Pena%20Palace%20Near%20Sintra,%20Portugal_wallpaper.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 1: 1399-1405: The First Steps

eu36.png

eu31w.png

Source 1: Diary of Princess Edigenia (14-06-1380 - 23-02-1446), second daughter of King João I (13-04-1357/01-01-1385 - 24-01-1400)

16 Outubro, 1399
Today I had to join father in his meeting with the Castilian ambassador. A very charming man, well dressed and equally mannered. He brought an offer from His Royal Highness the King of Castilla to form an alliance between us and Castilla. There was no long discussion between father and the ambassador: the treaty was made quickly as father realised that a strong ally on the European mainland would make our hands free to continue pursuing control of the Barbarian Coast, which is crowded with pirates, disturbing the Mediterranean trade. And of course with such a poor country as ours we are simply not able to maintain a big army to repel any invader. I hope we won’t have to war against our Christian brethren in the future no more. I think this alliance will lead us a step closer to there.

4 Novembro, 1399
Father summoned me this morning after the mass, telling me he would arrange a marriage between me and the youngest Enfante of Castilla, Felippe. This to improve the relation between our two nations. It will be a marriage under the strict condition that I and my children will be excluded from succession of the Portuguese crown unless there is no other living heir left. This decision came forth from a old distrust my father has against the Castilian monarchs, who tried to lay there hands on our throne more then once in the last century. Yet we have to improve relations with them, considering their wealth and military power.

1 Janeiro, 1400
War was declared on the Granadese heathens today in order to aid our already warring ally Castilla. Yet it seems there is more behind this, in the context of taking a part of the loot before Castilla can take it all. Morocco joint the war as well on the side of Granada, but father thinks we don’t have to fear for them, as our navy will prevent them from entering the European mainland.

31 Janeiro, 1400
It’s been a week since father unexpectedly died and I had to return to Lisboa for the burial. He seemed to be in very good health until he died, it seems so illogical he died so spontaneous that there are theories about murder passing through the corridors and rooms of the castle. I don’t think that anyone murdered father though, he had very few enemies, and even the enemies he had showed him respect. He has been a good king altogether, and I am confident he is in Heaven now.

Aecio, Conde do Algarve, was appointed regent in name of João, since he is only twelve years of age now, unable to govern the country. I hope to see my little brother soon though, I really miss him. But on the other hand, I am happy I married Fellipe. For the first time in my life I left our residence in Lisboa and it‘s surroundings, even left the country. And Fellipe likes to travel a lot. We’ve been to Toledo already, and were preparing to visit Andalusia when the news of my fathers death reached me. So we set out for Lisboa the same day.

Source 2: Remains of the peace treaty between Portugal and Granada (this document was partially burned during the Castillan-Portuegese war that would rage in the 15th century and the fire that destroyed the castle it was stored at)

The 25th of Fevereiro, 1401,[…]

[…] will accept the secession of the region of Gibraltar to the Portuegese crown. This treaty will […], so both our nations will live in peace once more.

Signed,
In name of His Royal Highness João, Aecia […]
Sultan […]

Source 3: Text written by Abbot Dom Carolus of the new Dominican monastery in the province of Gibraltar at or close to the year 1408. Later he became known as Carolus the Converter because of his success in converting the islamic minorities to christianty or have them expelled

So, in the year of 1401 A.D. the Portueguese government and that of the heathen infidel Granada made peace, I decision I regretted as this would leave this stain of evil for longer on our continent. Although we gained the province of Gibraltar, I did not approve of such an early peace. No battle was fought against the unholy ally of Granada, Marocco, so they had no loss of territory or even money and soldiers at all. A shame for every proud christian.

It was that very same year that the Kingdom of France declared war on our brethren and fellow christians, the Kingdom of England. In this matter, our king decided to do the right thing and declared war on France as well. Unfortunately, no true efforts were made to support the English struggle to hold on to their mainland territories. In this matter however, I think our Regent made the right decision, as the French army outnumbered our combined armies.
While this war still raged on, I was able to send the joyful news to Lisboa that the heathens of Gibraltar had almost all converted to the true faith of God. Those who still refuse the blessings of God have been expropriated and banned from our Christian lands, so no one shall ever be affected by their false religion

It was in the year of 1404 AD that the opportunistic Scottish decided that opening hostilities against England while they were involved in a war with France could become successful. This was a grave mistake of Scotland, which would lead to a humiliating defeat by the combined force of the English and Portuguese army.

The 23th of February in the year of 1405 AD João II, noble son of João I, reached the age of 18 and took the reign from our honourable Cortes and started to rule for himself. Much was expected from our young king at the moment he rose to the throne, but I am confident he will fulfil his duty to God and the Portuguese state.

eu313.png

eu319.png

Last edited:
Never fun to lose a king at the young age of forty-two... and foreshadowing is always interesting, especially if it involves war with someone who's currently your ally. Time to see what your Portugal is capable of!

(And I was thinking the same thing as Danilh when I saw the title. ;) )

I think you meant "A Borda do Mundo"

Never fun to lose a king at the young age of forty-two... and foreshadowing is always interesting, especially if it involves war with someone who's currently your ally. Time to see what your Portugal is capable of!

(And I was thinking the same thing as Danilh when I saw the title. )

Let it be noted that I don't speak a single word Portugese and seem to have used a crappy translator. Thank you for the correction :D

There has been some very interesting turns in my game already, and early in the game:p

And the loss of the king wasn't that bad in terms of usefulness. A very mediocre 5-5-5 isn't to be missed;)

Let it be noted that I don't speak a single word Portugese and seem to have used a crappy translator. Thank you for the correction :D

There has been some very interesting turns in my game already, and early in the game:p

And the loss of the king wasn't that bad in terms of usefulness. A very mediocre 5-5-5 isn't to be missed;)
Title fixed. ;)

Good luck with the AAR!

Best of luck with the AAR. I like the history-book style.

And a 5-5-5 king is most definitely a loss when his replacement is 3-4-4! More work for the Royal Poisoner? ;)

Best of luck with the AAR. I like the history-book style.

And a 5-5-5 king is most definitely a loss when his replacement is 3-4-4! More work for the Royal Poisoner? ;)

Yup, the replacement was not good at all. But I didn't know that before the Regency was replaced by João II;)

I hope to post the following part at the end of the week somewhere;) (I can only play one weekend in two weeks, so I won't go very fast:p)

Good to see you allied with the powerful Castille early. However, I'm intrigued by this future war with them.

That will be the nice part of this AAR I hope. Being written in our day so to speak I know what will happen (although I need to play on for a while, otherwise I cannot make more hints into future events;))

Chapter 2: João II: The Morocco Wars, 1405-1416

eu3advisors.png

The advisors king João II started with

Source 1: Report of the meeting of king João II and his advisors, written by the clerk Alvino de Santa Maria (approx. 1380-1455), originating from the Spanish town of Santa Maria, became part of the administration of the court at young age and under João II he was appointed as scribe of the king’s meetings with his advisors.

Setembro 28, A.D. 1407
Present at this meeting, requested by His Majesty, King of Portugal, Algarve and count of Granada are His Highness King of Portugal etc. João II, the Duke of Porto and Field Marshal of the Army Nuno Álvares Pereira, the Count of Faro Joaquim da Costa and clerk to the Royal Court Alvino de Santa Maria.

H.H.: We have gathered today to discuss the matter of our Christian duty to relieve our free countries of the pressure the heathens along the Barbary Coast put upon Castile and our own territory. Our English allies have made peace with Scotland and France in the past years, so it is time to do our Christian duty and release ourselves from our enemy once and for all. Duque do Porto, what are our possibilities?

D.o.P.: Your Highness is right in his opinion that we will have to remove the Islamic treat to our country. Our spies report that the Moroccan sultan is dealing with severe rebellion in his own country, so he will have to deal with them as well. He might less suspect an attack at this moment, or at least will be defeated easier, busy as he is to retake the rebellious provinces. I strongly advise swift action to gain a base on the Barbary Coast so we can deal more effectively with them later on. The piracy which still harasses our trade on the Mediterranean has to end if we want to profit more from it. Our merchants are afraid to sail on Italy, or Cyprus for products from the Orient.

H.H.: These merchants are only a nuisance. Isn’t it obvious we should commit ourselves fully to the service of God and get rid of the pest of infidels which threaten every free and faithful Christian? The Archbishop of Lisboa has been informed by the Pope that he called for a Crusade against the infidels on the Barbary Coast. We will do the Divine will with all fury possible and drive the heathens to the pits of hell where they belong. That is our duty and that duty we shall fulfill.

(This wasn’t completely true: keeping in mind the fanatic faith of king João II, duke Nuno Álvares Pereira requested the Archbishop of Lisboa to ask the Pope to call for a crusade against Morocco, knowing that João II wouldn’t resist this, as before the crusade was called his interest in this area was little, due to the poverty of it. Being ignorant of the importance of trade he didn’t pay a lot attention to the piracy which came from the North African cities at that time. It was Nuno Álvares Pereiras wit and pragmatically thinking which would be the base of increasing trade revenues later in the 15th century.)

C.o.F.: Your Highness, I do not think we should try to conquer any city in this area. The population is hostile to us and the land is very poor. We wouldn’t gain anything there except hatred from our enemies there. To deal with the Barbary piracy it will suffice to send a strong fleet to patrol the seas there. That shall make these pirates think twice before attacking any of our ships soon.

D.o.P.: I must strongly disagree with the point of view of the Count of Faro. Every ship we lose will be a drain on our already meagre treasury. A war may cost us more in terms of money and men on short term, but in the long run we will benefit from permanently remove the piracy from these coast.

H.H.: It is clear we will declare war on them. But not because of some unimportant monetary issues, this is about defending the true faith! I wish not to hear anymore of your money talk. We will start crusading as soon as we can. Field Marshal Pereira, prepare the troops. Count Costa, contact our captains so we will have our transports ready in Lisboa when we will leave.

This meeting is over, let us prepare for Holy War and conquer the infidel or die trying!

eu327.png

The situation after the first Portuguese-Moroccan War

eu328.png

The view of Duke Pereira, which he cunningly planted at king João II

Source 2: Meeting between the Ambassador of Castile and Duke Pereira, written by Alvino de Santa Maria on the declaration of war against Aragon by Castile.

1 oktobro, 1408
Present at this meeting, requested by the Ambassador of Castile Duke Afonso de Murcia, the Duke of Porto and Field Marshal of the Army Nuno Álvares Pereira, granted the power to negotiate with the Castilian Ambassador and given full authority to make decisions in this specific matter, and clerk to the Royal Court Alvino de Santa Maria.

A.d.M.: I come from His Highness, King of Castile to humbly ask your support in our war against the kingdom of Aragon. Our benevolent ruler is aware of your alliance with Aragon, but to maintain relations with Castile my King urgently requests the support of the mighty armies of Portugal to support ours in this war.

D.o.P.: I have discussed this matter with our Royal Highness this morning, and I can assure you our support. It is not our wish to disappoint our oldest and most loyal ally. Our armies are already being organised and if they are allowed by your humble generosity we will send them through the Castilian lands to fight and subdue the Aragonite resistance.

A.d.M.: That permission will be granted by our gracious King. I will announce him that he can count on the bravery of the Portuguese armies.

D.o.P.: I shall report the joyful outcome of this meeting to King João II. This meeting is hereby closed.

castillearagon.jpg

The dilemma of Portugal

Source 3: Diary of Alvino de Santa Maria. His opinion in these matters is valuable because of his direct presence in these high level meetings. The strength of this source is exactly this, that he was informed about all important things but was no part of executing them.

16 novembro 1416
Today the king was in a unusual happy mood, as the message reached us that the Moroccan sultan agreed with the peace conditions he demanded from them. After the city of Tangiers was conquered in 1408, this time the provinces of Ceuta and Toubkal were added to the Kingdom. The sultan also agreed to let go of his claims he had on Tangiers and pay a sum of 150 ducats for the damage our army suffered. Conversion of the provinces already started, but it will be a difficult task. The Muslims are known for their faithfulness, so it will cost years to convert them. I am afraid our king will go over to more harsh measures to force Christianity on these people. He already mentioned these things in the meeting yesterday, but Duke Pereira was able to prevent this from happening within a short term. It is good our king has held the advisors of his father close by, as without these people I think he would fail hopelessly. His determination to do the right thing barely makes up for his lack of skill. I sometimes wonder who his tutors were…

eu355.png

The final result of the Second Portuguese-Moroccan War

Last edited: