• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Make Russia give Greece Konstantinopolis!

Agreed, they need to pull back. Prepare the military!

We don't want to fight, but by Jingo, if we do,
We've got the men, we've got the ships, and got the money too.
We've fought the Bear before, and while we're Imperials true,
The Russians will not have Constantinople.
:p

Seriously, though... Eeek, Imperial Succession! This is going to be a mess, without a doubt...

Agreed, they need to pull back. Prepare the military!

We don't want to fight, but by Jingo, if we do,
We've got the men, we've got the ships, and got the money too.
We've fought the Bear before, and while we're Imperials true,
The Russians will not have Constantinople.
:p

Seriously, though... Eeek, Imperial Succession! This is going to be a mess, without a doubt...

Heh. :cool::D
Queen of Cities to the Greeks!
Also Bulgaria! ;)

What cometh of Preussen?

Well done in not letting your chosen nation have it all its own way - I was worried after the first couple of Emperors that it would be a Hapsburg cakewalk, but you've found plenty of problems to keep things interesting.

The War of the Imperial Succession looks like it's going to be a humdinger.

Leopold I: 1700-1705

Today we're gonna talk about the short and violent reign of Leopold I. He was an uncle of Charles VI, and had the most legitimate Catholic claim to the throne. However, he was quite old already, which explains his natural death just five years after his coronation.

leopoldi_i_by_OJR123321.jpg

So, as I said, Leopold I was a Catholic, unlike Louis XIV and the Bourbons, so he was legitimately crowned Holy Roman Emperor by the Pope. However, this did not stop the Bourbons from challenging this. As you can see on the map, Spain, Hungary, Serbia, and North Africa all revolted and joined the Bourbons against the Empire. The rest of Western Europe stayed on the Empire's side, to stay in good standing with the Pope and to resist the rising power of France. Keep in mind that they didn't really see the Empire as too much of a threat anymore, as they knew of its internal weaknesses. So if France were to win the war, they would become the sole superpower of Europe.

leopoldi_ii_by_OJR123321.jpg

The war didn't begin as wildly and fast as many thought. Both sides were extremely cautious and hesitant to commit to any major movements. The first stages of the war were spent with Spanish rebels and Bourbon troops ousting the Imperial forces from Spain. The fighting also broke out in the Americas, where the British navy had many skirmishes with the majority Spanish Imperial colonies that had defected to the Bourbons.

leopoldi_iii_by_OJR123321.jpg

In 1702, a rather large battle was fought at Luzzara in Italy between French and Imperial forces. The battle was a total stalemate, with both sides suffering just about the same number of casualties, and neither made much ground. This stalemate only further intensified the sense of cautiousness on both sides, especially on the Italian front. However, on the German front, an allied force invaded northern France, halting an attempt by Louis XIV to invade and knock the Netherlands out of the war. The two armies continued to battle each other up and down the Rhine. This continued until the French were reinforced and achieved a victory at Friedlingen. Though it secured the Rhine for the French, they had lost so many men doing it, they could not immediately capitalize on this. Despite this allied defeat, the British captured a large Spanish rebel treasure fleet that same year.

leopoldi_iv_by_OJR123321.jpg

By late 1703, the French felt that had recovered enough to make an offensive across the Rhine. They defeated preliminary garrisons, causing a panic, and forcing Imperial troops in areas such as Italy to force march to Germany. These armies met the French at Blenheim in 1704 and insured the safety of the German heartland. And also in 1704, the British captured Gibraltar, cutting off the Mediterranean from the Bourbon alliance. But by 1705, both sides were so exhausted that no offensives were made and it was virtually deemed a year of recovery, for the second stage of the war.

leopoldi_v_by_OJR123321.jpg

The old Leopold I died in 1705, never having his throne fulling recognized by the whole of Europe. And his son, Joseph I, would have an equally tough time legitimizing his claim. Therefore, upon Joseph I's ascension, the war continued, maybe even escalated due to the Bourbon's perceived crisis that they may have been losing. And on the slide is a map of the battle lines in 1705. As you can see the French have made some progress across the Rhine, while the Swedes have steadily advanced without much resistance, though the Prussians are managing to spread out. The Hungarian and Serbian revolts are quickly gain strength, as the British are helping Spanish loyalists in southern Spain stay loyal to the crown. That's our short lesson for today, tomorrow we'll talk about Joseph I and the second stage of the war.​

:eek: things are going badly for the Empire :(

please don't give the HRE another mauling

Congratulations asd I'm nominating you as WritAAR of the Week!

Enjoy your time as Christmas WritAAR of the Week and keep suplying us with great updates :D

Joseph I: 1705-1711

Alright everyone, welcome back to class. Today we are going to talk about the equally short reign of Joseph I, which was of course still dominated by the War of Imperial Succession.

josephi_i_by_OJR123321.jpg

Joseph I started his reign with a very risky move. He had himself swiftly transported to Rome, sometimes going through war zones. This way, he was finally crowned by the Pope, in an attempt to add legitimacy to his reign, especially amongst Catholic subjects. But the Protestant Bourbons, and even the Catholic Spanish, didn't heed the Pope's word and continued the war. The first year of Joseph I's reign was marked by a military stalemate on nearly all fronts. This stalemate wasn't broken until the Empire and its allies gained two significant victories at Ramillies and Turin. These two victories opened up the Italian and Rhine fronts, and allowed for significant Imperial gains.

josephi_ii_by_OJR123321.jpg

In the fall and winter of that same year, the Portuguese, who were allied with the Empire, rather miraculously captured the city of Madrid. However, their victory celebrations did not last long, as a Bourbon pretender force, of mostly Spanish rebel forces, was able to recapture the city in mid-1707. Also in 1707, the Bourbons were able to gain a bloody victory over an allied force. Since the battle was so destructive for both sides, the war in Spain descended into another stalemate.

josephi_iii_by_OJR123321.jpg

But the Empire received a major victory in 1707, when Sweden became involved in the Great Northern War with Russia. Since the Swedish were forced to move many of their troops out of Brandenburg, Imperial forces were able to recapture that territory rather bloodlessly and easily. By early 1708, the Swedish were forced to sign a peace treaty that ceded Brandenburg back to the Holy Roman Empire. Imperial forces tried to follow up this victory with an offensive in northern Italy, but this offensive, like so many others during the war, only led to a stalemate. But in 1708, the British general John Churchill, or Duke of Marlborough, led allied forces to a major victory over the French at Oudenarde. This victory pushed the French out of the Low Countries and opened up northern France for invasion.

josephi_iv_by_OJR123321.jpg

Since northern France was threatened, Louis XIV actually agreed to negotiate a peace in late 1708. But the allies demanded too harsh a peace for him to accept, so the war continued. The allies followed up the French king's rejection with an offensive aimed towards Paris itself. But the allies won a Pyrrhic victory at Reims in 1709, and their losses were so great they were forced to cease advancing. And, as usual, the allies failed in another Spanish offensive throughout 1710.

josephi_v_by_OJR123321.jpg

Now during this whole time, the Empire was also dealing with additional rebellions in Serbia and Hungary. And in 1709, another rebellion arose among the Swiss. The Empire however, was much too focused on other fronts to make major moves against these rebels. The only action along the Balkan front was to keep the rebels at bay, maintaining a rather stable frontline. And since the rebels weren't significantly opposed, except by occasional Venetian raids, they didn't make major offensives in return. So basically, Hungary and Serbia were independent during this time. Both Leopold I and Joseph I had felt that these areas could be ignored, and reintegrated into the Empire after the war, but their inaction would cause major problems in the future. However, can we really criticize these two emperors for their inaction? For if they had taken away troops from other fronts, perhaps the Bourbons would have advanced even further into Germany than they had during Leopold I's reign. So by effectively sacrificing the Balkans, Leopold I and Joseph I were in effect saving the German heartland.

josephi_vi_by_OJR123321.jpg

The young and ambitious Emperor Joseph I died of smallpox in 1711. His death sent shockwaves throughout Europe, as his successor Charles VII would become the third Holy Roman Emperor during one war, and to add shame, during a war that questioned imperial succession. Joseph I's death only added to the Bourbon's claims of unjust succession, and planted seeds of rebellion amongst the Imperial Italian territories. As you can see on the battle line map, Portuguese advances in Spain have been cut back, and Imperial north Africa has been overtaken by native rebels. The Swiss are also in rebellion, but just as the allies are making advances in northern France and Italy. The Venetians have pushed the Serbs and Hungarians back from the Adriatic coast, but their rebellions remain a largely bloodless front. Also, you may note that the Prussians have gained Livonia from Sweden, in the same peace deal they made with the Empire. Alright, that's it for today, tomorrow we'll talk about the reign of Charles VII, which finally lasted longer than a couple of years.​

Looks like Europe and the Empire are in chaos! By the looks of it though, Joseph I has stabilized the war and was pushing into France for the final blow just as he died. Looks like Charles VII could finish up the war within the next few years, if not sooner!

Excellent work! :cool:

Charles VII: 1711-1740

Alright, today we're gonna learn about the reign of Charles VII. His reign finally stabilized the Empire. However, as you may notice, I did lose my voice yelling at the freshman class yesterday, so I won't be talking much. Thankfully, the slides are wordy enough to get the information across quite clearly.

charlesvii_i_by_OJR123321.jpg

charlesvii_ii_by_OJR123321.jpg

charlesvii_iii_by_OJR123321.jpg

charlesvii_iv_by_OJR123321.jpg

charlesvii_v_by_OJR123321.jpg

charlesvii_vi_by_OJR123321.jpg

charlesvii_vii_by_OJR123321.jpg

charlesvii_viii_by_OJR123321.jpg

charlesvii_ix_by_OJR123321.jpg

OK, that's it for today. I'm sorry for not lecturing today, we'll see if I'm feeling better by the next class so I can lecture on Francis I.​

Hopefully The Empire can one day regain some of its lost lands

I'm here, only not good at commenting.:)

I'd hate to sound too needy, but there's been a demotivating lack of comments recently. Thanks to those who are commenting, but I need more than 3 per update...

mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa!

Just caught up again. That was one long and dreadful war you had there. It nearly brings me to tears to sea the Empire lose so much of it's possessions.
But a german Argentina is clearly an amazing thing :D. But maybe you want to rename it, the translation of Argentina is Land of Silver which is in german Silberland / Land aus Silber / Silbernes Land. But you can give it a completely different name for example naming it for one of your Emperors.
Jus as a sidenote I wonder why you haven't given Venezuela to the germans as it was in our timeline held for some time by german merchants.