• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Units caught with zero morale will always surrender?

I smell an exploit. :eek:

+1... Hopefully large units retreating after a single defeat cannot be insta-killed by largely inferior forces waiting them for that specific purpose.

Overall, I like the more consistent or say, historically progressive, rates of bloodiness for warfare - but I think the "quicker resolution" aspects could easily be taken too far.

Endless pingpong is not fun, but EU should keep letting both sides have chances to recover from defeats. More importantly, with room to maneuver, a single defeat should never cost you a very large army.

Lets hope the AI of your forces is good enough to never withdraw to an occupied province even if you arent manually ordering the retreat...

Last edited:
+1... Hopefully large units retreating after a single defeat cannot be insta-killed by largely inferior forces waiting them for that specific purpose.

You flee with your armies at 0 morale?

I checked the last thread but didn't get an answer.

Will the "call to arms" feature be made more like HoI3 and Rome? Or does that remain the same?

Cause I like the way it was handled in Rome a lot better than EU3.

You flee with your armies at 0 morale?

I usually order retreats when its hopeless, far before 0 morale.

We all however sometimes lose a battle we weren't paying attention to! In these cases, I cant remember off-hand how much Morale the units typically have left, but its not much.

I usually order retreats when its hopeless, far before 0 morale.

We all however sometimes lose a battle we weren't paying attention to! In these cases, I cant remember off-hand how much Morale the units typically have left, but its not much.

As long as the AI knows to retreat at 25% morale or so then I think it should be reasonable.

After all an army with 0 moral would basically just throw their weapons down on the ground and go home.

Regarding 0 morale surrender: So if the AI changes his fav military unit and I attack him that month, he's basically screwed till' the month ends?
Also hoping they are going to make a separate dev diary for the call in allies function.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that the non-Western cultures will finally get high-tech units that can keep up with similar-level units in the Western culture. It really stinks to go through all the trouble of Westernization and wind up with ships and artillery that can compete, but inept cavalry and infantry.

Why are you doing this to us Paradox?! Only one developer diary per week is too little! WHYYYY????

Great ! But ping-ponging armies were a part of the historical theater in Early Modern Europe. Armies were rarely crushed.

I can't remember any events where one army retreated due to bad morale(do they hold a majority vote every evening...?), after which the enemy army, led by a general with a magical aura that made his men run faster raced them for 75 miles until the next province, where they set up camp, killed a few more, after which the enemy retreated the the original battlefield, were intercepted there again, lost another 5 soldiers before legging it again etc... while every month more men are sent to the army to help with running back and forth until there are more people killed then there's newbies so they end up being outnumbered 10:1, after which they had ran around enough and ascended to a higher plane of existence.