+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Heir to the Throne - Dev Diary 9

Quote Originally Posted by Kentti View Post
    Units caught with zero morale will always surrender?

I smell an exploit.
    +1... Hopefully large units retreating after a single defeat cannot be insta-killed by largely inferior forces waiting them for that specific purpose.

Overall, I like the more consistent or say, historically progressive, rates of bloodiness for warfare - but I think the "quicker resolution" aspects could easily be taken too far.

Endless pingpong is not fun, but EU should keep letting both sides have chances to recover from defeats. More importantly, with room to maneuver, a single defeat should never cost you a very large army.

Lets hope the AI of your forces is good enough to never withdraw to an occupied province even if you arent manually ordering the retreat...
    Last edited by Alerias; 24-11-2009 at 18:56.

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alerias View Post
    +1... Hopefully large units retreating after a single defeat cannot be insta-killed by largely inferior forces waiting them for that specific purpose.
    You flee with your armies at 0 morale?

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

I checked the last thread but didn't get an answer.

Will the "call to arms" feature be made more like HoI3 and Rome? Or does that remain the same?

Cause I like the way it was handled in Rome a lot better than EU3.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae Victis

Nice! This expansion is, indeed, looking better and better for each DD...good job!
    //Hallsten

UPCOMING!Hallsten's EUrofi3r, CK to EU3 savefile converter
    Hallsten's Unified HOI2/DD/ARMA Generator Utility
    NEW: Hallsten's Unified HOI3 Generator Utility
    HOI2 sleep-event for Germany's Old Guard

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by vertinox View Post
    I checked the last thread but didn't get an answer.

Will the "call to arms" feature be made more like HoI3 and Rome? Or does that remain the same?

Cause I like the way it was handled in Rome a lot better than EU3.
    +1 This is still something I'd like to know - will the feature be included in any form?

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    I usually order retreats when its hopeless, far before 0 morale.

We all however sometimes lose a battle we weren't paying attention to! In these cases, I cant remember off-hand how much Morale the units typically have left, but its not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Alerias View Post
    I usually order retreats when its hopeless, far before 0 morale.

We all however sometimes lose a battle we weren't paying attention to! In these cases, I cant remember off-hand how much Morale the units typically have left, but its not much.
    As long as the AI knows to retreat at 25% morale or so then I think it should be reasonable.

After all an army with 0 moral would basically just throw their weapons down on the ground and go home.

Mushroom Korps Field Marshal OrangeYoshi's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegio
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    I love you, I want to have your Heir!
    On Ubik: "HE GETS TO BE SMUG AFTER CARVING THE FACE OF PERFECTION USING THE SPOON OF INSPIRATION UPON THE BUTTOCKS OF AN ANGEL"

────── OrangeYoshi's Newbie Sig Information Center: Help is just a click away...™ ──────
    EU3 Wiki lll Paradox Acronyms lll FAQ Forum lll General FAQ lll Siege FAQ lll Patrolling Guidelines
    No Time Limit Mod lll Quick Questions Quick Answers

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

infantry having fire value from start? they might become somewhat usefull :O
    (i'm getting this for sure now XD)
    Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. - Murphy's law

The Dream of Dumbarton Watch the rebirth of Strathclyde in my first AAR!

Best Character Writer of the Week: 3/2/13 Fan of the week: 1/6/13

"Fear not what will be, fear what has already come to pass"

Regarding 0 morale surrender: So if the AI changes his fav military unit and I attack him that month, he's basically screwed till' the month ends?
    Also hoping they are going to make a separate dev diary for the call in allies function.
    Last edited by L Lawliet; 24-11-2009 at 19:51.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    You're probably aware of this, but I'd advise to move the war icons a few pixels up.. In the attached screenshots, the shield for the war vs. the Mamluks clashes with the mapmode text.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

I'm glad to see that the non-Western cultures will finally get high-tech units that can keep up with similar-level units in the Western culture. It really stinks to go through all the trouble of Westernization and wind up with ships and artillery that can compete, but inept cavalry and infantry.
    "The only certain thing about the future is that it will surprise even those who have seen furthest into it." - Eric Hobsbawm

Quote Originally Posted by Ketd View Post
    Has the Byzantine Empire really conquered Bithynia, if so thats awesome...
    Anyone else notice it is now Byzantium instead of the Byzantine Empire?

Quote Originally Posted by martin23230 View Post
    Anyone else notice it is now Byzantium instead of the Byzantine Empire?
    Good catch! Might it mean that we'll see government ranks as in ATAGE/MagnaMundi?

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Pure cool.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Not intentionally... sometimes it just happens.
    Alaska: Like Finland, but with less death metal and a lot more Republicans

King: "As Vic2 development came close to completion we have to think about what the hell will we do next? We picked CK2 after Doomdark had a vision of the Little Baby Jesus and he was crying because there was no CK2."

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    MagickaRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Why are you doing this to us Paradox?! Only one developer diary per week is too little! WHYYYY????
    Enrico Lucio Leone, Proud Industrialist and general moneygrubber in ThunderHawk3's Power to the People

First member of the 200k club finyou2's Avatar
    200k clubCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    MagickaMajesty II CollectionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    Also, units that are caught with zero morale will always surrender, no matter the size of the enemy.
    Do they also surrender to my 100% morale 0 men regiments?

Achtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisPride of NationsHoi 2 Beta500k club

Very nice.

The Shadow of Man 406 - 1095 - Rules

Contribute to 'Concert of Europe', an 1815 mod for Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Niptium View Post
    Great ! But ping-ponging armies were a part of the historical theater in Early Modern Europe. Armies were rarely crushed.
    I can't remember any events where one army retreated due to bad morale(do they hold a majority vote every evening...?), after which the enemy army, led by a general with a magical aura that made his men run faster raced them for 75 miles until the next province, where they set up camp, killed a few more, after which the enemy retreated the the original battlefield, were intercepted there again, lost another 5 soldiers before legging it again etc... while every month more men are sent to the army to help with running back and forth until there are more people killed then there's newbies so they end up being outnumbered 10:1, after which they had ran around enough and ascended to a higher plane of existence.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast