• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(2668)

Banned (UD)
Apr 4, 2001
Visit site
Letters of the Royal Family of Prussia 1419-1819

This collection of letters includes selected pieces from a long period in Prussian and German history. The authors are as varied as the time period, but are centered on members of the Royal family of the various houses that during this period held sway over that nation known as Prussia. The letters were discovered among other artifacts in a previously walled over vault in the ancient city of Konigsburg, nee Kalingrad. They appear in sequence of date, but they are incomplete. Readers will have to make assumptions on the events and personages described therein, or refer to other histories.

Chapter I

Knight of Prussia Friedrich Karl to Knight of the Teutonic Order Michael Kuchmeister von Sternburg, January 1419

My Liege :

Greetings from your holdings in Prussia. All is well throughout your holdings here, in Memel, Danzig, and Preusslandt. I trust our alliances with the Lords of Pommern, Bremen, Mecklenburg, and Holstein remain firm.

I have taken the liberty of allowing Orthodox services to be held in this realm, so long as the pretence of secrecy is kept. Various and several travellers from the East have alerted me to the growing influence of the Boyars of Novgorod and Muscovy, and I think it well that we should curry some tolerance among them.

I also continue to conduct drills with the Prussian Knights, emphasizing the importance of attacking over all other forms of combat. We are confident this will terrorize any who unwisely wish to challenge our mutual holdings.

I remain your faithful servant, etc.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knight of Prussia Friedrich Karl to Prince Johan III of Mecklemburg, April 19 1419

Prince Johan :

Greetings from the Knights of Prussia.

I bring news of treachery. The Poles have once again decided to make war on Prussia. We are in receipt of a letter from the Polish Council that they consider our vassalage to the Knights of Teuton and our holdings in Danzig to be in breach of various written agreements which no one can either remember or find.

Consequently, I must ask you, and the rest of the signatories to the Hansa, to fulfill obligations to the Knights of Prussia and immediately declare war on Poland – Lithuania. Surely if we all remain united, the tyranny of the Poles can once and for all be broken.

Yours, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knight of Prussia Friedrich Karl to Knight of the Teutonic Order Michael Kuchmeister von Sternburg, November 3, 1420

Greetings from your Loyal Knights of Prussia in Belarus,

I bring good tidings. Our knights here have been ravaging Lithuanian holdings and destroyed several isolated detachments of these lackeys of the Poles, and now the Szjem of Lithuania have offered to remove their forces from this unjust war for the small sum of 2,400 ducats. I have agreed and paid this paltry sum.

And so this letter should arrive to you at Riga along with orders from the Lithuanian Szjem to their footmen holding your beloved City of Riga to evacuate and return the gate keys to your Lordship.

I will arrive in Riga shortly, where our Prussians will unite and march against the Poles. We may also move to the assistance of our Hansa brothers in Pommern.

Advice to your Liege to focus your efforts on building up a strong army, and leave the tax collecting to our current contractors.

Yours, etc.

Knight of Prussia Friedrich Karl to Knight of the Teutonic Order Paul Bellizer von Russdorf, March 13, 1422

Greetings from your Loyal Prussian Knights,

Accept our warmest and most gracious congratulations on your accession to High Knight of the Teutonic Order.

We renew our pledge of vassalage to your Lordship.

The Poles continue to harass our holdings, and those of our Brothers in Pommern. Unfortunately, as you know, most of the Hansa have opted for an acceptance of money from the Poles rather than continue to fulfill their signatory obligations. We are not in a position to bring the conflict to an end. Danzig remains besieged, and we periodically receive the standard Polish demand to turn over the gate keys to this city, which we will not do so long as we remain united.

Several months ago the Prussian nobles voluntarily contributed 100 ducats to the cause.

We are planning several marches to Danzig and Pommern to attempt to break the sieges there.

Yours, etc.

Knight of Prussia Friedrich Karl to Knight of the Teutonic Order Paul Bellizer von Russdorf, June, 1422

Greetings from your Loyal Prussian Knights,

We were able to raise the siege of Stettin, but could not destroy the Polish army there. We hurry back to Preusslandt to consolidate our forces and raise more.

Yours, etc.

Knight of Prussia Friedrich Karl to Knight of the Teutonic Order Paul Bellizer von Russdorf, March, 1423

Greetings from your Most Loyal Prussian Knights,

We have won a great victory over the main Polish army in Preusslandt, putting some 10,000 to the sword in three separate battles over 10 days, and driving them from the Fatherland. We march on Mazovie.

yours, etc.

Knight of Prussia Friedrich Karl to Knight of Pommern Kazimeirz V, June, 1423

Greetings to our Brothers in the West,

We most happily assume our signatory obligations to your Knightship, and declare war on Brandenburg.

How craven that the Brandenburgers and their allies the Saxons and Madgeburghers have chosen a time of your most serious distress to advance their claims by the sword.

We believe we shall soon prevail over Poland, by which Stettin will be restored to you, and our armies march to your assistance. Until then we remain,

Your loyal servants, etc.

Knight of Prussia Friedrich Karl to Knight of Pommern Kazimeirz V, January, 1423

Greetings to our Brothers in the West,

I am not sure if this letter will reach you in Stralsund. Consequently, I cannot divulge much information other than what is already known to our enemies, but which may be unknown to you.

Our siege of Warsaw was foiled by a raid of several thousand Winged Hussars just as it was about to succeed.

We have arrived at Stettin and are attempting to regain that city for your Knightship. I cannot promise or say whether we can come to aid you at Stralsund, but do not give up hope. If we are able to defeat the Poles and obtain a favorable settlement, the entire war can swing to our favor.

I can tell you that the Poles are now weak after our victory of last year, their army is not much of a threat other than these damnable raids.

I am sorry to report that Mecklemburgh has fallen to the Brandenburgers, and they have imposed a settlement that allows Mecklemburgh to continue to exist as a principality under suzerainty of the Brandenburg house.

Knight of Prussia Friedrich Karl to Knight of Pommern Kazimeirz V, February, 1424

Greetings to our Brothers,

I have delivered the keys to the Gates of Stettin to your Regent here, the Poles have been smashed.

As a ploy, our brothers in the order of Teuton have settled with Poland for 5,000 ducats. This means all of the Teutons will be marching to your immediate assistance, while the Prussian Knights continue to deal with Poland.

All of us in Preusslandt are inspired by your valiant defense in Stralsund. I remain,

Your servant, etc.

Knight of Prussia Friedrich Karl to Knight of Pommern Kazimeirz V, March, 1427

I am in complete agreement with your proposal to give over governorship of the Stralsund province to the Brandenburgers, which brings their entire craven undertaking to a close.

I give you my most humble condolences for the failure of our Orders to render you more effective assistance. In the many marches we made across Polish territory, our attempts to reduce Warzawa were thrice foiled by greatly inferior Polish numbers for reasons we cannot adequately explain. Had this strategy been successful, I have no doubt our Orders would have come to your aid.

We appreciate your remaining steadfast in the struggle against Poland, at least. Advise you to build up an army as quickly as possible to assist the Orders in the reduction of Polish forts south of Preusslandt.

Knight of Prussia Friedrich Karl to High Knight of the Teutonic Order Paul Bellizer von Russdorf, November, 1427

The Polish Szjem has brought in 20,000 ducats as a peace offer to our Order and our allies who remain faithful to the cause, Pommern and Holstein. This will result in a payment of 5,000 Ducats to each of us, which will reimburse our Teuton brothers for their earlier payment as against Lithuania. I have been recommended to this settlement by all of the Aides de Camp of our allies, and have therefore accepted. We believe this is an honorable settlement, and that the Poles have paid dearly for their transgression including loss of most of their army and several other settlements they have made during the war. Poland will never again be the same.

yours, etc.

Knight of Prussia Friedrich Karl to High Knight of the Teutonic Order Paul Bellizer von Russdorf, September 1, 1428

My Liege

At your request we herewith provide the sum and record of your holdings in all the Prussian lands over the last year.

Last year all the serfs and nobles of the domain paid 4,770 ducats as an annual tax. We collected 2,238 ducats from trade tax. Monthly taxation amounted to 3,371 ducats for the year. Tolls and manufactory taxation resulted in 1,197 and 368 ducats respectively for the year. As of the date of this letter we have 2,400 ducats in gold in the vault in Koenigsburg. Prices have been stable since I was granted control of the Prussian Knights.

The Order maintains 14,000 footmen and just over 4,000 Knights of Prussia. The number of Knights is well below our desired number of 8,000 due to the long Polish war. Salary, wages, and sundries for these men amount to 50 Gold Ducats monthly, amounting to 27 coppers per man. As you know, in Prussia 100 coppers equals one Silver Ducat or Thaler, and 100 silver Ducats equals 1 Gold Ducat. The wages sum could double in the event of war.

We have in our employ various smiths, armorers, tanners, and some learned men, to whom we forward some 400 ducats monthly to improve on our arms, horseshoes, bolts, and the implements of war. We feel this is a sum well spent as recruiting just 1000 new footmen would require over 700 ducats. Our army is and will remain second to none.

The lands and the trade therein can support 15,000 men easily, beyond that we must set up special wagon trains to collect food from the countryside, as we are now doing to a small extent. The various precincts report that we could raise 4,000 troops per year without seriously affecting the collection of crops.

As we already discussed in the last exchange, we have granted Lithuania permission to cross our territory with troops. Lithouania has also guaranteed the independent existence of your loyal Prussian Knights. Several of our noted knights have married into the Lithuanian family. With these arrangements, we feel the Polish threat greatly diminished. They would not dare violate these agreements or risk the fury of their women, nor allow their Polish cousins to do so.

We have set up a new tax collection office in Pruesslandt.

Our plans for the coming year include bringing the Knights up to establishment, maintaining in addition at least 15,000 footmen.

You will find in the bags accompanying this letter additional reports, as well as our annual tribute in gold.

Yours, etc.

Knight of Prussia Friedrich Karl to High Knight of the Teutonic Order Paul Bellizer von Russdorf, June 11, 1429

My Liege

The recent annexation of the ancient city of Pskov by the Muscovites concerns us as well. You will recall one of our first letters upon ascending to the Exalted Knighthood of the Prussian Knights. We join you in declaring this act by the Muscovites unlawful, and dispatch word to your Loyal Knights to remain at the ready to defend Prussian Lands. Due to the Polish threat we feel unable to detach even a small force to assist you in dealing with the Muscovites.

We lessened our requirements for joining the Footmen of the Knights, and got rid of various expenditures that had been tradition. Our cost for raising footmen is now 60 ducats per 1000.

Yours, etc.

Knight of Prussia Friedrich Karl to High Knight of the Teutonic Order Paul Bellizer von Russdorf, August, 1430

My Liege

Our prayers are full of hope for your army. We are saddened to learn of your recent defeat near Pskov.

In Preusslandt we declare tithing throughout the holdings to increase our revenues during this time of trial for our northern Brothers in the Order, some of our merchants and other money men call this War Taxation. The term means nothing to us. The lesser nobles and serfs are aware that any conflicts require blood and treasure, even if none of our blood is being spilled.

Our Brandenburg neighbors are now reaping the fruit of treachery. Italians of various stripes are invading their lands in retribution for their annexation of part of Pommern.

We have signed trade agreements with Mecklenburg, Portugal, and Venice, and despatched 5 of our most notorious merchants to Venice. We hope these agreements will stabilise our trade income. Last year our Trade income was 2,652 ducats, an improvement over the year 1428.

This will be my last note to you. The Order has elected Herr Blankenfelde as Most High Exalted Knight of the Prussian Knights. I resume my duties as an ordinary bearer of arms.

yours, etc.

Knight of Prussia Josef Blankenfeld to Baron Lizst of Danzig, December, 1434

Most Gracious Sir

Reply to yours in which we discuss the Teuton’s war against the Muscovites.

At long last that idiotic war is over, as we have in hand a herald from His Most Gracious Highness the High Knight of the Teutonic Order Paul Bellizer von Russdorf indicating they have paid over 10,000 ducats to the Muscovites in return for the withdrawal of their army from Livonia and return of Dorpat.

However ill advised this war was, it did serve our own purposes. We had in mind that the only real balance to the twin threat of Lithouania and Polandt was the rise of a greater power in the east, and perhaps it shall be the Muscovites after all. Along the eastern borders of Poland-Lithuania is a great area that has no organized suzerain. Were these territories to be organized by a powerful presence replacing the Mongol legacy, surely the Poles would see the stupidity of persisting in their claims against us. Now we have effectively given 10,000 ducats to this goal, while having at the same time preserved our honor and met our obligations to the Teutons. Moreover, we were able to collect large sums of taxation during the war.

I regret taking the army to the field as I did, since most of the taxation we collected went to the buildup of the army, where we took many casualties. The goal was laudable, defeating the Muscovites in the field so that they would offer us a hefty sum to leave the side of the Teutons, which I’m sure Lord Bellizer would have agreed to, since he holds both the Teutonic and Prussian holdings and would thereby have gained something at least.

Your advice is most appreciated and we trust in your discretion, etc.

Knight of Prussia Josef Blankenfeld to Baron Lizst of Danzig, December, 1435

Most Gracious Sir

The Holders of Pommern would benefit greatly from your advice. They have stupidly decided on a war of Revanche against the Elector of Brandenburg. Where reason escapes is the fact that the province they lost during the Brandenburg conflict was returned to the Holders of Pommern when a local Pommeranian Baron and his serfs rebelled against the Elector, captured Strasund, and declared for Pommern. The Elector had no choice as his realm was beset by all manner of Italians, Austrians and Bohemians.

So we must now once again join in a rather pointless war. We shall endeavor to protect only our own lands from attack.

I receive your welcome news that the new tax registry office is nearly completed in Danzig.

Your advice is most appreciated and we trust in your discretion, etc.

Knight of Prussia Josef Blankenfeld to Baron Lizst of Danzig, undated, 1437

Most Gracious Sir

Your recommendation to hire Maurice of Orange is received and we have taken your advice to hold him at court for a period of 3 years to instruct our young Knights on new methods of warfare. Herr Maurice also told us that he had heard of the early efforts of Friedrich Karl some years ago, and thought we would make excellent candidates for his new teachings.

The war in Brandenburg continues. Our army returned from an unsuccesful attempt to invest Kustrin and essentially ransom it back to the Elector for a sum. Ah, well, such is the way of things.

Aside from the above, nothing new to report. Have you heard from the Rothchilds regarding our loan?

Knight of Prussia Josef Blankenfeld to Baron Lizst of Danzig, The New Year Of 1440

Most Gracious Sir

We have taken Kustrin. Unfortunately, the Brandenburghers seem to have an extraordinary ability to rebuild their armies. We must, in cooperation with our allies, bide our time. The Rothschild loan will be due in 1442, so we cannot really afford a new army to deal the Brandenburghers a final blow.

Yours, etc.

Knight of Prussia Josef Blankenfeld to High Knight of the Teutonic Order Konrad Von Erlichshausen, The New Year Of 1441

My Liege

We congratulate you on your accession to the position of High Knight. We renew our fealty to the Order. Our armies are at present besieging Berlin, and in depot at Danzig. Assistance would be most appreciated, but not expected. The Brandenburghers have 20,000 investing Kustrin.

Yours, etc.

Knight of Prussia Josef Blankenfeld to High Knight of the Teutonic Order Konrad Von Erlichshausen, July 1441

My Liege

We have taken Berlin and concluded an arrangement with the Elector of Brandenburgh, which awaits now only your approval. We will return the cities of Berlin and Kustrin to the Elector, restoring his realm, in return for his vassalge and a payment of 750 ducats in good faith. As we are your vassals, according to the ancient laws, you must approve the acquisition of any oaths of fealty to our person. This arrangement will leave Pommern at war with Saxony and Brandenburg separately, but we trust the promises of the Elector to dull these sharp edges.

We remain

Yours, etc.

Knight of Prussia Josef Blankenfeld to High Knight of the Teutonic Order Konrad Von Erlichshausen, January 1442

My Liege

We are in receipt of your request to declare war on Lithuania in view of their recent declaration of war against the holdings of the Teutonic Order. We must decline.

Your status as our suzerain does not give you the power to force us to war. It does give you the power to collect various rents which we continue to provide.

Our advisors at the seat of the Prussian Knights advise us that the combinant powers of Denmark, Sweden and Lithuania are more than our armed retainers and economy can sustain for long. Moreover, we have just engaged in a series of wars at the behest of the Order and its allies, and find ourselves in a need of rest that spans a generation of men. Some of our oldest Knights can count on one hand the number of years of peace they remember. The Prussian Knights have started none of these wars.

Finally, wisdom recalls the due of our Rothschild loan this year, which renders us unable to raise any substantial forces this year and possibly the next, so we would be of little assistance to you.

As we remain at peace, think on one half of your holdings being untouched by this present havoc thanks to our chosen course.

We pray for your prevalence in these dark times,

Yours, etc.

Knight of Prussia Josef Blankenfeld to High Knight of the Teutonic Order Konrad Von Erlichshausen, January 1443

My Liege :

Attached find our yearly reports for 1442

Census Taxes : 3,050d
Production : 655d
Taxation : 1,507d
Tolls : 1,197d
Trade : 4,069d
Tariffs : xxxx
Vassals : 1,250d (Brandenburg)

Total 11,728d

Our expenses last year were 576d to the maintenance and salaries of the Prussian Knights, about 2 silver thalers per year per man. We repaid a 20,000d Rothschild loan. The balance of our monthly incomes was spent on the improvement of roads, markets, silos, stills, and subsidies for various traders. We have 3800d in the Koenigsburg vault.

Our army is in depot in Danzig, 12,000 foot and 7,000 Knights of Prussia.

Traders report prices are 2% higher than they were in 1419.

We shall be embarking on a financial program that will result in inflation of about 3 percent over 3 years.

Knight of Prussia Josef Blankenfeld to High Knight of the Teutonic Order Konrad Von Erlichshausen, January 1449

My Liege :

It distresses us that the war is not going well for you. Not a day goes by when some herald does not arrive with news of a new siege, revolt, or other malfeasance besetting you. While things may look bleak with the fall of Riga and the investment of all other Order holdings by either Swedes, Lithuanians, or bandits, do not give up hope. God has a place for you. Our laws hold that God aids those who are on the side of God.

Your holdings in Prusslandt continue to prosper, although we had to spend an inordinate amount of treasure to suppress a large outcropping of a group of rebellious Polish nobles in the Danzig province. Were it not for this misfortune, we would nearly be able to afford dramatic improvements, perhaps even an art academy as has captured the imagination of all Europe.

We note that while the Order’s situation appears grim, our allies in the west have had some success against Denmarck.

We wish for a speedy and successful conclusion of your current troubles, we hope our monthly tribute is of some assistance to you.

-Knight of Prussia Josef Blankenfeld to Knight of the Teutonic Order Ludwig Von Erlichshausen, January 1450

My Liege :

While we are saddened at your father’s recent death, we commend you in our prayers on your accession to head of the Order. Your father’s tenure has left you in the unfortunate position of controlling only the province of Riga. However, you are now at peace, and we remain bound to you by vassalage. Think well on what would be best for the Order and the Hansa alliance.

Our report :

Census Taxes : 3,050d
Production : 673d
Taxation : 1,525d
Tolls : 1,245d
Trade : 5,674d
Tariffs : xxxx
Vassals : 1,250d (Brandenburg)

Total 20,340d (includes a compulsory-voluntary Noble contribution of 10,000 ducats).

Expenses last year :

Army Maintenance : 583d (12,182 foot, 7,890 Knights an average of 2.9 silver thalers per man per year)
We also spent 2000 ducats on German colonists for Memel which is still recovering from the Plague several years ago.
We spent 3000 ducats on installing merchants at various Houses around Europe.
Remainder was spent on various and sundry costs throughout the realm.

We have 19,800d in the Koenigsburg vault.

We released from indenture to the Prussian Knights a large number of shipwrights throughout the holdings, instead hiring additional sergeants at arms and barracks to better house and prepare landless nobility, errant serfs, and various young freemen for service in the Knights. This will enable us to call up 1000 footmen for only 600d initial cost, 1000 esquires for 1,500d initial cost.

-Knight of Prussia Josef Blankenfeld to Baron Lizst of Danzig, July 1450

Most Gracious Sir

You will immediately join me in Memel. The Poles have declared war on us, and they have over 50,000 men marching north to Danzig, and possibly Koenigsburg. The Poles are without allies, this is a vassalage war between us, as proxies for Lithuania and the Order.

We have no intention of making any compensatory offer to the Poles. This will be a war to avenge all the past wrongs and once and for all end Polish claims on Danzig.

Destroy this note, and ride, Sir.

Yours, etc.

-Knight of Prussia Josef Blankenfeld to Baron Lizst of Danzig, The New Year 1454

Most Gracious Sir

My thanks to the efforts of the men in your offices, who have reported increased revenues and trade activity, combined with drop in prices for foodstuffs and other sundries throughout the realm

This good news could not come at a better time. We have the Poles on the run, and have taken Poznan and Gznieo. Our army gathers once again in Danzig for another summer of campaigning against the Poles. The Szjem foolishly rejected our proposals for a payment of 10,000d and transfer of Poznan to the Knights and and end to our campaigns We look forward to more good news, and victory.

-Knight of Prussia Josef Blankenfelde to King Kazimierz IV of Poland, July 16, 1458

Your Royal Highness,

These last 8 years we have seen in you our most resolute adversary. And we need not recall even more troubled times in the history of Poland’s treatment of the legitimate Prussian holdings. Your people should now commend you for recognizing the futility of pursing claims against the holdings of the Knights, which were legitimately given to us by the Teutonic Order long ago, who in turn held them in perpetuity at your request to guard against slavic incursions from the north.

Now with the last fortress held by your armed men having surrendered, and all Polish flags throughout your kingdom in our possession, you will recognize the law of arms and accord with the following :

Of the First, you will cede in perpetuity to the Prussian Knights, loyal vassals of the Teutonic Order, the areas of Poznan and Warsaw/Mazovia.

Of the Second, you will deliver to Koenigsburg the sum of 25,000 ducats as the price of the withdrawal of all Prussian men at arms from what remains of your realm.

Of the Third, all those who have laid down their arms may keep their armor and titles, and we recognize the continued independence of Poland, and we further recognize that Poland and its lands are not held at the will of the Prussian Knights, nor is any of the land held by the Prussian Knights held at the will of Poland.

Of the Fourth, Poland here and forever renounces any claim to Poznan, Mazovie, Danzig, and any other province or territory held by the Prussian Knights.

Given under the seal of the Teutonic Order, the Prussian Knights, the King of Poland, and the Polish Szjem this 19th Day of July, year of our lord 1458.

etc.

EU2_Pru_1458.jpg

Central and Eastern Europe after the Prussian Polish "Settlement of Podolia", 1456

Last edited:
This is awsome, i love the way your doing your aar. Letters, what an ingenious idea!

Way to go keeping Prussia alive and strong!!

Without a doubt this is going to be a very enjoyable AAR to read. I very much like the approach with the letters...makes it fun to read the inferences back to game play. If I might make so bold as to offer a suggestion, perhaps you could use some sort of dividing mark, line or spacing between each letter (a few extra line feeds or parhaps a ---------------- or something. Just a thought.

Great start!

Chapter II

With the acquisition of some Polish lands and the breakup of the Hansa, Prussia entered a new phase of involvement in Central Germany, under the leadership of Knight Gniesen.

-Knight of Prussia Heinriech Gniesen to Baron von Dollfuss-Poznan, January, 1459

My Baron :

We have travelled far, and only now do we come to the position and monies we have long coveted.

Knight Blankenfelde has died, and I have been elected by the High Knights to accede to Most High Knight of the Prussian Knights.

All this you know, but now know this : I appoint you Baron of Poznan!

This is your reward, my friend, for never losing faith in me and my love of Prussia.

And now I must ask your counsel. Our fealty to the Teutonic Order has become something of a stock round our necks. The Order has been poorly led these last years by the sohn of Konrad Ehrlichshausen, Ludwig. The boy, now grown older, yet remains as feeble as he was perhaps on the day he was born. The misfortune of all the German and Baltic peoples has grown by the fact that he retains enough wit to appear as a normal man, but his decisions in nearly all matters are unretrievably stupid.

Today the Order has but Riga, and that under siege by the men of Vladimir. We now have 5 provinces and great wealth, perhaps exceeding even that of Poland. The Order is a vassal of Sweden, so our tribute to the order essentially transfers to the Northmen.

Fealty is one thing, but one must recognize changed times and above all what is only just for the valiant nobility and people of Prussia. Perhaps the day will soon come when Prussia will be a sovereign state like France or England.

My great fear is, however, Baron, that we shall be effectively naked from aggression once we renounce this oath. We must seek an alliance. Our old Hansa bloc is still in existence with the Order, Mecklenburgh, Bremen, Pommern, and the Doge of Venice. The aggressiveness of the Mecklenburghers has brought the wrath of many states and princes. Lithuania is not allied with Poland, and maintains a strong alliance with Denmarck, Sweden and Norway. This is an attractive choice, but this bloc is at war with our Hansa brothers. The only other option is a possible alliance with our own vassal, Brandenburgh, but her relations are extremely bad and she is beset on all sides. Our choice really is reduced to going to war with Lithuania, or with our Hansa allies.

Your counsel on this matter will be appreciated.

etc.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

-Knight of Prussia Heinriech Gniesen to Elector of Brandenburg Friedrich II, January, 1460

Most Noble Elector

We are pleased you have accepted our offer of alliance.

The recent annexation of Sachsen by the condottieri of Milano leaves many old and august German states under the heel of Italians. We share a common interest in the expulsion of these foreigners from German lands. While we cannot immediately act, we shall counsel and advise until such time as we may.

Many states are now making war on the Milanese, opportunities may present in the immediate future.

At the moment, you are without land, as the Pommern have occupied Brandenburgh. Our first task will be to drive the Milanese from Germany, after which we shall restore your lands by war on Pommern.

etc.

-Knight of Prussia Heinriech Gniesen to Holy Roman Emperor Friedrich V of Austria, March, 1460

To His Most Holy Roman Emperor

Many great wisdoms would surely come from counsel with you. All of Prussia is in celebration over your wise decision to abandon the boundless ambitions of the Milanese, and instead join with your humble Elector of Brandenburgh and the loyal Prussian Knights.

We did not undertake war against Milan lightly, and we lamented the possiblity of war with you. But the grace of God has shined down upon us all, and you have joined us in this great crusade.

Our intelligencers have reported much dissent in your realm over this decision, revolts and rumors of revolts abound. Your contribution to the war has already been made in the excision of your armies from those of Milan. The Bohemians shall soon see your great wisdom, until then they shall see our hosts.

etc.

-Knight of Prussia Heinriech Gniesen to Holy Roman Emperor Friedrich V of Austria, January 1, 1466

To His Most Holy Roman Emperor and all to whom these present :

The Knights of Prusslandt, sovereign over the lands of Pruesslandt by the grace of God and His Most Holy Roman Emperor Freidrich V of Austria, do hereby grant to the Elector of Saxony and his Noblemen, Freemen, Peasants, Tradesmen and others within that Realm the rights and duties of Sovereign and Lord in perpetuity over the lands of Dresden and Sachsen, here from in perpetuity at the will of God alone.

To all who read this fiat let it be known that the lands of Sachsen were illegally stolen from the Elector and the Noblemen of Sachsen by heathen soldiers of Milan, and that these lands have been restored to their former condition by the arms of the Prussian Knights. By the will of God this crime has been avenged.

The Elector of Sachsen does hearby pledge his life and fealty to the Knights of Prussia.

Given under the seals of the Prussian Knights, The Most Holy Roman Emperor, The Elector of Brandenburg, The Elector of Saxony, in the year of Our Lord 1466

Greetings and Goodwill, etc.

-Knight of Prussia Heinriech Gniesen to Holy Roman Emperor Friedrich V of Austria, March 1, 1466

To His Most Holy Roman Emperor and all to whom these present :

The Knights of Prusslandt, sovereign over the lands of Pruesslandt by the grace of God and His Most Holy Roman Emperor Freidrich V of Austria, do hereby accept the oath of fealty by the United League of Pommern. Upon this oath and payment of 17,500 ducats shall the lands of Vorpommern and Hinterpommern be restored to the League.

The Knights of Prusslandt, His Most Holy Roman Emperor, The Elector of Saxony, The Elector of Brandenburg do hereby mutually and forthwith pledge to the League of Pommern, The Republic of Venice, The Principality of Bremen, and the Order of the Teutonic Knights to cease all hostile acts and withdraw all armed men from the lands of each.

All holders of the Sovereign power do herein recognize and acknowledge that the current government of Mecklemburg has been usurped by armed men who declare themselves the new Sovereignty of their various lands and therefore they have of their own accord dropped all claims for compensation by reason of this usurpation.

Excellent!!! I'm now really hooked on these letters and thanks for breaking them up like that, it works really nicely. I also get a slightly different character coming through with the different authors: a nice touch and very hard to achieve from a single writer. Well done indeed.

Originally posted by MrT
Excellent!!! I'm now really hooked on these letters and thanks for breaking them up like that, it works really nicely. I also get a slightly different character coming through with the different authors: a nice touch and very hard to achieve from a single writer. Well done indeed.

Thank you for your kind comments. Mispellings and other rather twisted uses of verbiage are in fact intentional for this purpose, and to provide historical "flavor".

Chapter III

The Prussian position in Central Europe was stabilized by the Austrian and Swedish alliances. Now, Prussia turned her concern to the East.

-Knight of Prussia Heinriech Gniesen to Prince of Holstien Christian I, January 1, 1467

Your Gracious Sovereign :

Accept this gifts and our fervent prayers on the re-establishment of your sovereign power in the principality of Holstein. Long have you been ruled by the Princes of Lithuania, now you do credit to yourselves and all Germans by exercising your force of arms to re-establish your divine right.

This letter is borne to you by our most gracious Baronesse Lizst, who is the granddaughter of our hence departed Baron Lizst whom we hold in respectful memory for his service to Prussian in the Great Polish War. She has expressed a desire to meet with the men of several of your noble families, and we do hope you can afford her your best hospitality during her stay.

To matters of import to you. The Teutonic Order has succumbed to the arms of the Northmen, who force upon the Order obeisance. Of your current enemies, Denmark presents little threat as rebellious nobles hold the Danish House hostage in Copenhagen. The Danish crown has only the loyalty of a small band of retainers in Gotland. Lithuania and Norway present more of a threat, however in the event of any movement of Lithuanians to your realm, we shall deny the right of access across our lands. That will by the grace of God and your own arms keep you safe.

-Knight of Prussia Heinriech Gniesen to Holy Roman Emperor Friedrich V of Austria, November 27, 1468

Your Most Holy Roman Emperor :

Lament this now and to all your children and your children’s children : The Teutonic Order is no more.

The Princes of Lithuania have expelled the Order from the Baltic Lands, declaring them outlaws and brigands, and installed a Prince of their own in Riga.

The House of Lithuania rules through a construct of fidelity the lands of Poland, though they have the same Szjem and Royal House, and through compulsion that of the Principality of Holstein. They are allied with Denmark, Sweden, the House of Orleans, and the Boyars of Novgorod, the latter’s merchants being the bane of all Europe. In turn Denmark has through the Kalmar Union the vassalage of Sweden and Norway.

Having set forth the above, it should be clear to all Europe that a great evil caste now weighs down upon Europe from the north, with tentacles extended even into France and Germany.

We can recommend no action to you at this moment. All Germany is afired of war, with lands and states variously held by whomever has sufficient armies, be they noblemen, traders, and even ruffians. Only Prussia and our alliance with you remains as a bulwark against this insidious affliction. Bewarned. We who have dealt with them know that Lithuanian ambition knows of no limit.

-Knight of Prussia Heinriech Gniesen to Swedish Council of Regents, March 30, 1470

To the Councillors of the National Regenter of Sweden

We applaud your efforts to bring the Kalmar Union to an end. All Europe was concerned over the endless ambition and malfeasances of the Danes and Lithuanian Princes.

We accept you into the Prussian-Austrian allianz as lost friends. The Prussian Knights cannot accept the situation in Kurland. We do not wish restoration of the Order, but we share an interest in keeping the Princes of Lithuania from remaining too long on the Baltic coast.

Your thoughts on this matter in an immediate reply will be favored.

-Knight of Prussia Tobias Schliesen to Swedish Council of Regents, January 4, 1480

To the Councillors of the National Regenter of Sweden

We are pleased to once again exchange letters with our wise friends to the North.

Regarding your inquiry, we fully agree and support your decision to cancel the entreat to allow Danish troops to cross your lands. We too were once vassals to an inferior power, and recognize that the times encroach and change things so that what was once a matter of honor to remember, it now becomes a duty to your people to forget.

The position of Denmark and of Lithuania are in fact intolerable. Denmark’s recent outright annexation of Novgorod was not only a mark of vicious greed, but also resulted in the cleaving of your holdings in two, since the Novgorodian Boyars also controlled Osterbotten. The only good which can made of this was the disappearance from the markets of Europe those rapacious Novgorodian merchant houses.

As for the Lithuanians, at least they had the decency to uncover their ambition by at last unifying the Polish and Lithuanian crowns.

We received our share of the Muscovite tribute in the settlement of your brief war with them. The Knights were most pleased to learn that you did not demand any territory of the Muscovites, whom we feel are bound to balance the Lithuanian threat which we know perceives you as well. We would have rendered more assistance in this war but unfortunately the Lithuanian position along the Baltic coast subverts those efforts.

Unfortunately our efforts to gain the stout Swiss into the alliance met with failure. The Swiss offered no reason, but perhaps they feel able to make war as against the Milanese and Burgundians without any assistance.

A number of old Teutonic Knights have reformed the Teutonic Order in Koenigsburg. The Prussian Knights formally recognized the order, and nominated Martin Truechess von Wetzhausen as the Most Exalted Knight of the Order, in effect making him nominal ruler of Prussia. However, our friends outside Prussia should be well informed that this is a mere formality to maintain the legality of Prussian rule over our holdings. The Order will never again directly rule any province or lands.

These last 10 years have been good for Prussia. We invite you at your earliest convenience to visit Danzig and see the new kvassen distillery, which has all sorts of mechaniks, and plumbing of the Italian variety. The new memorial for Knight Gniesen has been completed in Konigsburg, should you care to visit that.

With Fondest Wishes, etc.

Last edited:
This is really good. A few people have tried the 'communique technique' in the past, but the AARs were usually abandoned quite early on.

You have a fluid style and solid presentation. I hope you keep entertaining us. :cool:

Chapter IV – The Holy Alliance, the French war, and the Swiss Invasion.

-Sovereign of Prussia Martin Truchsess von Wetzhausen to Prince Kazimeiras of Lithuania, April 30, 1480

Respects to The Prince of Lithuania from The Prussian Knights,

Your realms are now unified, and we of Prussia, speaking with the blessing of Sweden, Austria, Brandenburg, and the Elector of Saxony, are compelled to recount the following to your Highness

In the First, we disapprove of the elimination of the Polish crown.
In the Second, we recognize your endless efforts to subjugate the Muscovites whom we most fervently believe have the right to their own Kingdom to preserve Europe from the asiatic hordes
In the Third, we recognize no legitimate interests of yours beyond the Vistula river, and therefore cannot sanction vassalage with any states in Europe.

If the Lithuanian crown persists in pursing interests as set forth above, or takes any other action to threaten the balance of power in Europe or Asia, we will be forced to submit the judgement of these Actes to God by force of arms.

May the Blessings of God and Peace be Upon you and your domains, etc.

-Sovereign of Prussia Martin Truchsess von Wetzhausen to the Swedish Regents, December 30, 1480

With Respects,

We cannot imagine any good fortune can be obtained from making war on Pommern who have remained faithful vassals to Prussia. We must join with Austria and Saxony and condemn this action, and withdraw from our previous association. We pray that Brandenburg will see the futility of this course as well and disassociate herself from it. Be that as it is,

-Sovereign of Prussia Martin Truchsess von Wetzhausen to the Prince Wilhelm I of Hesse, Undated, ca. 1487

With Respects,

All Prussia is in humble reverence of your long and lonely struggle against the condottieri of Mantua, which God has blessed with your triumph. We in Prussia most humbly beseech God and all the Nations of Europe to recognize your new Kingdom, won according to the ancient laws of war. We endeavor to gain your favor and so accept this gift and our humble prayers that you will at some time when God ordains that you have the freedom to consider joining the most Holy Roman Emperor and all His allies in our arrangement for mutual protection. At your will, send some of your newly appointed and most gracious Nobles to our court for introductions.

-Sovereign of Prussia Martin Truchsess von Wetzhausen to Holy Roman Emperor Friedrich V, December 21, 1488

With Respects,

Prussia honors her allianz with the Most Holy Roman Empire and joins with Austria, Saxony, and Hesse in declaring war upon France and all her allies.

We have long viewed French possession of the forts on the Frisian coast, and in Flanders as an affront to the European balance of power. We shall endeavor mightily to assist you and all our allies in the most vigorous prosecution of the war and pray that we,

Secure the Trust of God and Honor His Will.

-Marquis von Rohrer of Prussia to Knight Giesen, January 8, 1489

Most High Knight of the Prussian Knights,

It is my wish that this letter finds you along coast of the North Sea engaging our French enemies.

The Grand Knight of the Teutonic Order Wetzhausen has died here in Koenigsburg on four days ago. The aged Knights have gathered this morning and selected Johann Von Tiefen as his replacement. As you must give final approval to this appointment, allow my recommend.

Tiefen was a young Knight at the final fall of Riga in 1468, then aged 20. He is now 41 years old, and fit. Few remember any of his exploits as a young man at arms, so I cannot comment on his martial abilities. He seems to be able to hold forth and has at least recounted the glory of the Old Order sufficient to curry favor with the old Teutons.

Perhaps, Lord, this appointment means little in any case, for all true power in these holdings come from the elected leader of the Prussian Knights, your exalted Self. Nevertheless I shall follow your example and permit a small announcement to the court of the Holy Roman Emperor, and our other allies. The Knight Tiefen has made it most clear that he expects only to perform administrations rather than any exercises of the Sovereign Power. He seems more affected of the Prussian Lands than some of the other Order Knights who dream by day and night of returning to Riga upon a river of Polish and Lithuanian blood.

Your Most Humble Servant for Prussia

-Marquis von Rohrer of Prussia to Knight Giesen, December 1, 1491

In reply to yours of last,

I have released the detachment guarding Koenigsburg and sent them with all dispatch to Bremen, as you have requested. There have been no ships or other enemies here since the French landing last year.

I have been doing all I can to send you reinforcements at the rate of 4,000 footmen per year at the least. I am sorry for the recent defeats in Geldre and Oldenburg, but most here are nevertheless happy that we have taken Bremen and Oldenburg. Combined with the recent draft, I count 8,000 foot and 2,000 Knights on the way to you at this moment.

The Austrian King has suggested that rather than persisting against Geldre, you move to his aid in Luxembourg and other points further south, as the French have taken several forts in that area. Most discrete persons in the court of Austria also inform us that the Austrians may seek a settlement if their arms do not merit success in the coming months. I am,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

-Marquis von Rohrer of Prussia to Knight Giesen, August 13, 1492

I bring expected but evil tidings,

The Austrian Consul has informed me that they have accorded with the French to end all hostilities, and that they have ceded Luxembourg and Franche-Comte to the French Crown.

Under the laws of alliance and war, this dispute was begun by the Austrians and therefore we are now forced to end all hostilities as well. I am instructed by the Austrian Consul to inform you that under this arrangement you must evacuate Bremen and turn over the city to the French immediately.

Upon your return will you pass through Poznan and disperse the dispossessed Polish nobility who have most treacherously raised an army against our holdings there?

-Sovereign of Prussia Johann Von Tiefen to Holy Roman Emperor Maximillian I, August 21, 1493

With Reverent Greetings to His Most Christian King Maximillian I,

The Prussian Knights commend your accession to the Throne of Austria and the House of the Hapsburg.

Our alliance remains strong and full of purpose, though we have withdrawn our armies from the conflicts against the minor states bordering France.

Prussia will support your nomination to the Crown of the Holy Roman Empire.

We remain your most Loyal Knights in the Service of God,

-Sovereign of Prussia Johann Von Tiefen to Holy Roman Emperor Maximillian I, February 4, 1494

With Solemn Greetings to His Most Christian and Holy Roman Emperor King Maximillian I,

We declare upon the Altar of God that the Swiss Republic will seek humility before our Lord Jesus Christ for failing to seek our alliance.

We have received the herald of Your Declaration of War against the Swiss Republic, and all the Knights and Men of Arms in Prussia march to the West and South to aid in this great struggle.

We pray to the Most Holy Father each day that all Europe and all Christians will see the justice of your claims against the Swiss, who have most treacherously stolen the principalities of Baden and Wurtemburg from the Divine Trust of their lawful rulers.

We remain your most Loyal Knights in the Service of God, etc.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

-Marquis von Rohrer of Prussia to Knight Giesen, July 30, 1494

Despite our best efforts to arrange for the inclusion of various states along the French border into the Holy Roman Alliance, they have met with failure.

And today heralds bring news directly to our chambers that France has annexed Hannover. They now control a large section of northwest German territories.

My Lord, many years ago we spoke of a vision for Prussia to lead the Germans from enslavement to the Italians or any other foreign power. It is most difficult to do this while the great armies of Lithuania stare at us across our border marckstones each day. However, under Our Sovereign Leadership of These Holdings, the Holy Fatherland of Prussia, we have avoided war with the Eastern Princes, and have taken strong steps in the direction of that vision. Pommern, Brandenburg, Saxony, all German states are now vassals of Prussia. In the east, the Muscovites have continued to gather strength against the various Mongol bands, and are according to our intelligencers capable of fighting on even terms with the Lithuanian Princes.

Would not now be a fortuitous time to remind your Lordship that we must aver any designs on Lithuania and Courlandt until such time as the French have been stopped from these greedy incursions into the Principalities of Germany?

Your Most Humble Servant for Prussia wishes upon You all success in the Helvetian Endeavor, etc.

-Marquis von Rohrer of Prussia to Knight Giesen, undated, ca 1495

I thought I should dash off this note to you in case a bit of news of the East is not deigned important enough among the smaller courts at your route to Bern, but we receive news that the Boyars of Novgorod have revisited the occasion of their annexation to Denmark and by force of arms recaptured the city from Danish northmen and declared their independence. We should not suffer from their traders as we have before, since Prussia is now the grantor of monopolies to traders in Riga, not the infamous Boyars. When you return I also have various letters and notes regarding the ongoing Danmarck – Sweden war, which seems to know no end.

- Sovereign of Prussia Johann Von Tiefen to the King of Bohemia Vadislav II, October 4, 1495

With Reverent Prayers to the King of the Boheme,

Here With Find the various papers and instruments to which Your Highness may in His Wisdom offer His Pen and Sword for the Holy Alliance. Accompanying these is our Marquis Von Rohrer who will if his Highness permits instruct Your Highness on the proper and legal Marks and Seals which must be made to forever bind our Sovereign domains in a state of mutual goodwill and assistance. I am

In Debt to the Grace and Wisdom of Your Counsel

[editor’s note : scratched on the other side of this document]

Marquis, perhaps I could contrive to draft some of these Letters and be like an oxen bearing only a small burden of your duties for you. Signed [SEAL] Johann Von Tiefen, Knight of the Order of the Teutons.

-Marquis von Rohrer of Prussia to Knight Giesen, August 25, 1497

Unfortunately, Knight Tiefen has met with an unfortunate accident and died. He had taken to rowing around the moat of Koenigsburg Castle at night, when a large stone from the battlement loosed from its mortar, fell upon his head, and killed him. We found his body floating in the moat this morning, and his boat with a large hole in it nearby. While unpopular among the Prussians, no one suspected foul play and thus arrangements have been made for the funeral and so forth.

I have given The Order the name of Knight Friedriech Von Miessen, one of our Prussian Knights, as Our recommendation for appointment to Most Exalted Knight of the Order of the Teutons. My Lord, I think our earlier concern regarding usurpation shall be buried with von Tiefen.

We continue our efforts to reduce all remaining nobles of Polish lineage to either deportation or acceptance of our will. One has sympathy for those of Noble blood who are without country, but no Prussian could accept the proffered loyalty of a Pole without a legacy of deeds to prove it.

With My Most Humble Prayers for Your Success in Lucerne I am, etc.

-Knight Giesen of Prussia to Marquis Von Rohrer, November 9, 1497

My Marquis,

Please make arrangements, and etc., with due regard for the following, which should be heralded to the courts and so forth.

The Swiss have agreed to payment of 40,000 ducats, cession of Baden to us, and upon these peace from us. Explain the need, and etc., to Maximillian, for this arrangement, he may continue the war, etc.

Please also arrange for the immediate accession of the old Baden Nobility to their former estates, and arrange with the Holy See a Bishop in good stead with the south Germans to crown whomever is forwarded by the Baden men.

One last task for you, please commission a group of our Knights to study the methods and mechanics of the Swiss and French in the making of war. The Swiss pikemen withstood our most sturdy assaults when not faced with 3 of our men to one of theirs, while rumors of a cannon that can be held by one man come from those travelling amongst the French.

Here in Schwyz we lost many men due to cold and sickness, but were able at long last to bring all the Helvetian castles under our flag, by the Grace of God.

Yours, etc.

I cannot complete the game or AAR due to the error indicated in the following thread :

Wierd Aragon Inheritance - France acquired most of Aragon

Edit : I have decided to continue the AAR. The messed up inheritance of Aragon by Spain where France actually got most of Aragon is referred to as "The Aragonese Crime".

I edited the game file to increase France's BB rating by 3 for each Aragon province, or 15. At the time of the Aragon inheritance, this put the French BB at 40.

Last edited:
Chapter V - The Courland War, The Wars against Mecklemburg, and the War of the French Yoke.

-Knight Gniesien the Younger to High Knight Freidrich von Miessen, October, 1498

Sire,

The Report of the Commission of My Father Regarding the Means and Methods of Warfare of the French and Swiss

The French army presents the greatest threat to Europe and Germany. They have hand cannons which are used by a fair number of their men. Our commission has now had most frequent occasion to view the armies of the French. During this last year with the various Nobles currently set against the French Crown in Northern Germany, we have borne witness to attacks on French lines numerous times, and each time German Foot and Knights broke upon the ranks of Frenchmen armed with the new hand cannon. This implement of war discharges with great noise and fire small metal balls which can penetrate the armor of our Knights. But we observe their effect is not so germain in inflicting destruction on the flesh, but upon dissolving the will of the mind. It is one thing to be unafeared of battle amidst the noise of swordfight and screams of men, it is quite another to combine that assault with the terror of deafening noise and fire which can strike down men from several hundred paces.

The French also possess larger cannon by which they are able to hurl metal at walls and masses of men, which have the effect of either breaking those walls or the will of the men to stand. The destruction is terrific.

The reason of the need for great predominance against Swiss armies can be explained by the terrain upon which our battles against them were ordained, and therefore they merited little of our studious effort.

No army can stand against the French, be they deployed and ready for battle.

My Father, if we were to war against the French, we would surely need great monies and allies across all Europe. The weakness of the French lay not in their army, but in other matters. I am and remain,

Ever Faithful to You and Prussia, etc.

-Duke Von Witten to Knight Scharnhorst, July 1499

Commander-Knight Scharnhorst of the Prussian Western Army, Poznan

France has forced her onerous hand upon South Italy. Tuscany now pledges tribute to France after a long war with her, and the French crown has declared the City of Naples and its environs to be part of the French Royal Domain. Of course, they installed an Italian Duke to assuage the people there, but the French flag nevertheless flutters over Italy. Only the Eire remain belligerent to the French Crown.

Our efforts to gain allies for a war against the French have met with only refusals. Fear pervades all of Europe outside the French domain. I am,

Offering Great Prayers for Prussia, &etc.

-Duke Von Witten to Knight Scharnhorst, August 1499

The valiant peoples of Hannover have thrown off French shackles. France has lost all her allies save Brabant. Unfortunately our attempt to entice her former ally Portugal have been refused.

-Duke Von Witten to Knight Scharnhorst, August 20, 1500

Perhaps French ambitions find limits against valiance and the bravery of Germans. Hannover preserved its independence but must pay tribute the France. The war between them is settled. Eire also agreed to a settlement, France is now at Peace. Our opportunity, if such existed, is now gone. We must bide our time until we and the rest of Europe can acquire the great machines of war as the French have. Perhaps this is a time to consider Lithuania to sound our economies with the great trading city of Riga. I do pray for an end to Austria’s endless idiocy against the Swiss, as this has been an expressed reservation among other Courts to alignment against the French.

-Knight Scharnhorst to Duke Von Witten, August 20, 1504

Gracious Duke

You will immediately order 20 cannon from the foundries and deliver them to Poznan, Raise 4,000 additional Foot and 2,000 additional Knights this year. Make all efforts short of spending treasure to isolate the Lithuanian Princes. Should any issue arise regarding our borders, relations, trade, and etc., with them, you will press our claims with them and in the Courts of Europe. When we have armed men with the French Arquebus, we may then strike at Lithuania with impunity. Courlandt must offer its wealth to Prussia, not the East. The future of Europe depends on your

Grace and Vigor, &etc.

-Knight Scharnhorst to Duke Von Witten, April 16, 1505

Gracious Duke

We can wait no longer for any matter to bear fruit with respect to our claims in Lithuania. Issue the declaration, but attach at least the Order’s claims on Lithuania, however thin those papers may be. Our allies shall trust it. Prussia is blessed by your,

Grace and Vigor, &etc.

-Knight Scharnhorst to Duke Von Witten, August 26, 1507

Gracious Duke

The Lithuanian Princes and their Szjem have agreed to the legitimacy of our claims on Courlandt. Have the Teutonic Order send some men to Riga and set up offices, but under no circumstances are they to claim the right to governance over any land or claim sovereignty, etc. But perhaps some of the very aged knights can now take to their graves in some peace. Your,

Grace and Vigor, &etc.

EU2_AAR_PRUSS02.jpg

Prussia and environs, 1508

There is a gap of nearly 35 years in the letters. The next letter found in this vault comes from a young nobleman serving as a Prussian officer stationed in Kustrin. During this time Prussia fought a war against Mantua’s holdings in Germany, and against Mecklemburg. Prussia also became largely protestant.

-Colonel Von Elbing to Count Von Elbing, February 22, 1542

My Dear Father

Life is rather boring in Kustrin, but the people seem warm. I long to see the shores of the Frisches Haff and walk with you through our hunting forest.

We gave a celebration for the men for the successful conclusion of the war against Mecklemburg. There were great musicks and balls, but the men seemed to appreciate the target shooting from the walls of Kustrin fortress the most. We floated some logs with targets set up on tripods, and sent them downstream passed the fortress where from high on the battlement the men took turns firing at it. Who hit it received 1 thaler for each.

I met a Novgorodian merchant, in fact, who had the materials with which we used to make the floating targets. He had the bunting, as I recollect. When I met him and learned of his origin, I recalled the stories you used to tell me about the Muscovites during your attachment with our embassy there. Did you not say that both the Danes and the Muscovites had at least once annexed that country? I do not understand why there are still people who think of themselves as of Novgorod. They must have a truly independent spirit, those.

Speaking of Muscovites, have you heard any news of the Muscovite war on Lithuania and Sweden? The men are always interested to hear news of further defeats for the Lithuanians. One almost feels sorry for them now, if you can believe that, father. The news herald spoke of the Russians, as the Muscovites now style themselves, advancing their claims to most of the great expanses of Lithuania, to the cheers of our soldiers in the square.

I must take leave of you now. Best of luck to our new trading ventures in Tago.

EU_AAR_PRUSS03.jpg

Prussia, 1542

There is another gap here of nearly 20 years. During this time, Prussia fought yet another war against Mecklemburg, which resulted in the full annexation of that Principality. The next letter begins with one from the Duke of Prussia, who was at the time the highest ranking noble in Prussia and the nominal ruler of the Duchy, to an ambassador, probably the Ambassador in France. We are not sure if it is the same Colonel Elbing of the previous letter, now grown and of some note.

-Duke Albrecht to Ambassador Count Von Elbing, 1562

Deliver via sealed pouch to the Diplomatic Salon, Paris, Count Von Elbing of Prussia

Instructions to Duchy of Prussia Ambassador from Duke Albrecht, Duke of Prussia, Protector of Riga, Most Exalted Knight of the Teutonic Order, Most High Knight of the Prussian Knights.

First, the recent position of His Majesty Charles IX of France regarding the border between the Principality of Mecklemburg (Prussia) and Hannover is not substantiated by documents or legality. The border is and should be as laid down by the Treaty of Succession between Mecklemburg and Prussia.

Second, the actions of French troops in Holland are an affront to all Christians in Europe.

Third, the actions of French troops in southwest France are an affront to all Christians in Europe.

Fourth, Prussia does not recognize the illegal construct of the Spanish-Aragonese inheritance.

Ambassador should indicate that if the border issue is not resolved Prussian troops may settle it.

Ambassador should deflect all questions concerning Prussian occupation of continental Denmark. This is a just war to protect Brandenburg.

The status of France and The English regarding the rights of Dutchmen is not an equal question. France has acted illegally in both Holland and Germany for generations. The English were invited by Frisian princes, and England itself is much less in a position to deal with matters in Holland than the French Crown.

-Duke Albrecht Friedrich to Ambassador Count-General Von Elbing, 1565

With Prussian Greetings,

Comte-General,

I trust your campaign in Northwest German territories is going well? All Prussia is content and happy with your rapid reduction of Bremen, Oldenburg and Hannover, and we daily hear news of the rejoicing of the German people there, to be liberated at last from the French yoke. Now if the French king would only come to his senses.

We’ve buried My father in Konigsburg castle, some nobles of the old families come to see the crypt from time to time, as they avail themselves.

I thank you for your kind words of your last correspondence, and will endeavor to provide my best counsel, and bring you news.

As you know, the situation in the east has changed, in very practical and onerous ways. The Bohemians were unable to control the erstwhile Polish nobles, who eventually gained their independence. Within months, one of the Polish nobles in Krakow claimed the throne of all Lithuania by right of succession, and this was granted by the Szjem. Lithuania now calls itself the Kingdom of Poland. The practical effect however was that the Bohemian folly gave away knowledge of the hand cannon to the great Eastern expanses, so that instead of a poor Lithuania we face a newly re-armed Poland here. Nevertheless, I doubt the Poles have the courage or temerity to attack Prussia in any of the days which draw near.

The West is your concern, not mine and I have little to offer there. However, since you have inquired, I endeavor to respond.

The new Dutch state is and should be our friends in both the temporal and spiritual domains. We should render them such assistance as will not endanger our final success against the French. The Dutch state, as it includes all of the Brabantine territories in addition to Holland, renders us unable to cross anywhere to France to pursue the war there. We are inquiring with all dispatch about an arrangement with the Palatinate of the Rhine regarding an entreat to cross their holdings, but I do not expect success. As such, our best hope for ending the war against the French while retaining several of the German principalities in question is to decisively defeat their armies wherever they may trod into Germany. I advise Mainz as the principal areas of your encampments with designs upon the complete destruction of any Frenchman who enters there. Keep an army in the Principalities to possibly support the Dutch should an opportunity arise there. I am,

Yours for Christian Prussia, etc.

- Count-General Von Elbing to Duke Albrecht Friedrich, 1570

With Prussian Greetings,

My Duke,

We have thrice defeated French armies in Mainz, but were ejected once.

I bring with these letters the news of states Declaring War upon the French crown, viz Duchy of Orleans, the Principality of Hesse, the Duchy of Kleves, and the Rhine Palatinate; and further the Venetian Alliance. They may be interested in allianz with Prussia, but I realize our diplomates are scattered and burdened. Our successes alone against France have unshackeld the boiling hatred throughout Europe. Prehap one day shall see the same news from Spain to avenge the Aragonese crime.

Yours for the strength Christian Prussia, etc.

- Count-General Von Elbing to Duke Albrecht Friedrich, 1572

With Prussian Greetings,

My Duke,

We return from France having taken the Luxembourg castle.

I bring news of the entry of Austria and her Allies into the War against France. Spain too has committed herself, but her recent bankruptcy leaves doubt on the effect.

I trust you were able to deal with the recalcitrant Baltic and Polish serfs, as no news has reached me of any success in their endeavor to force our hand out of the war. Is it not enough that we do not lay down the Blood Tax which is by right ours?

Advice do not give any aid to Sweden in Pommern. Perhaps our Pommern brothers shall achieve their rights, and we can once again host their ambassador at our court without offending Sweden.

- Count-General Von Elbing to Duke Albrecht Friedrich, 1574

With Prussian Greetings from Paris,

My Duke,

I have have under flag of truce outside the walls of Paris agreed with The French Crown to our conditions for peace. No French flag shall fly east of the Rhine, Oldenburg and Bremen shall adhere to Prussia, while the old Hannoverians shall adhere to the redoubtable Saxons. Picardie, Caux, and the Saxon holding of Maine shall be returned, of course.

Would that we could have done more had various and several State chosen to ally. As it was, our ability and access to the innards of the French Crown was provided only by a narrow channel granted by the Palatinate.

EU_AAR_PRUSS04.jpg

Prussia, 1574

CHAPTER VII – Growing Prussian Influence in Germany and the World

- Duke Albert Friedrich to Baron Von Nienburg 1576

Please circulate, upon appropriately sealed papers, to the courts and salons around Europe,

“Know all Sovereigns, Nations, Republics, and Men, by these Letters that

The Sovereignty of the Duchy of Kleves-Berg and the Sovereignty of the Rhenish Palatinate, Shall

Henceforward and in Perpetuity be Assured by the Duchy of Prussia.”

Baron, we of the Ducal Court have concluded that the independence and security not only of Brandenburg and Saxony, but also of these Counties is germain and indissoluble from that of our Duchy. Impress this upon our nobles in foreign Courts, or who may be travelling thereon, that they may make our interests thus known. Never again will France cross the Rhine.

As to the Hessian situation, as long as they remain allied to the Duke of Kleves, they may be secure in their rule, regardless of the foolishness with which they manage their finance.

Yours, etc.

- Duke Albert Friedrich to Baron Von Nienburg 1578

Baron,

The Ducal Court has decided to dispense with the local ecclesiastical and precinct courts. These courts result in confusion to traders and nobility regarding the law. As we have now in Koenigsburg done, establish Ducal Provincial Courts which answer to the Ducal authority in the capital only. We shall endeavor to establish a court of law here which will supervise all other courts in matters of the civil and criminal laws. Religious matters will be referred to the Lutheran Church Council, but only after a determination is made by either the Ducal Provincial Court or the Superior Ducal Court that such matter is an eccelsiastical matter.

Yours, etc.

- Marquis-General Markgraf to Baron Von Nienburg 1585

My Lord Baron,

The peace in Europe has been broken.

‘Tis a minor affair, concerning a scandal and border dispute between the Rhenish Palatinate and the Principality of Strassbourg. A conflagration is often started with a small flame.

Several months ago there was a scandalous affair between an Alsatian beauty and the brother of the Heir to the Seat of the Palatinate. She was unmarried, and was born to her a son with the unmistakable curly red hair of that member of the Palatinate family. Accusations were followed by troops.

Only a few weeks before, the term of the allianz of the Bohemians and the Alsatians with the Hapsburgs came to an end. Naturally, the Emperor was distraught. He, for his part, cannot permit the Palatines to extend their influence to the borders of the Swiss, which would close the link between Austria and France.

Now the Emperor sent in his proxies, the Duchy of Lorraine beholden to Spain and her allies, and their small host, which met with abject and immediate failure. And so a few days ago a herald reached me from the Palatines that Austria herself has issued a war declaration against them.

Of course, Baron, we could ignore this. On the other hand, could we tolerate Austrian possession of the Palatinate, which remains Our only access to France? That choice is for you to present in the Chancellery of the Duke. With the Council of Trent representing a positive threat, and a re-armed Poland to our East, I fear that protecting the Palatinate, as we have a right to do, would necessarily involve half of Europe now. The Duke was wise to call up our men several years ago when intelligences reached us that the Poles had increased the numbers of their men to nearly 100 thousand.

It saddens me that Europe again may be plunged to war. These last generations have seen the Turks in possession of Rome and several Italian states, and Europe would do well to see them off.

The decision remains with you, and,

The Grace and Tolerance of God to you, My Lord.

- Baron Von Nienburg to Marquis-General Markgraf to April 11, 1585

Marquis,

To your letter of the last, we have taken consul with the Duke and the councillors of the Chamber, and our decision has been made. All entreats to allow mutual crossings of Prussian and Austrian territory by the armed men of each have been revoked. The immediate instruction we give you must remain discrete.

You will observe with all the means at your disposal the situation as it develops with respect to the Rhine.

Funds have been released and are on the way to you. You will immediately begin recruitements and impressments to form as many new fighting regiments and bands as you can, and hold yourself and all armies West of the Elbe in readiness.

If the Austrians enter the Palatinate with an army which in your judgement is sufficient to force a surrender upon them, you will act to prevent it with all the force in your means.

With Faith in Your Success, etc.

- Marquis-General Markgraf to Baron Von Nienburg, September 8, 1585

My Lord Baron,

An army of some 30,000 Lorraine troops has entered the Palatinate. Your instructions did not include authority to block Lorraine and her Spanish and Portuguese allies. I request your further instructions. Spain is the locus of more than half of our substantial trade income, and action against Lorraine will most likely bring about a general war between our alliance and the Spanish alliance.

I have raised 20,000 men, with more on the way.

Should you decide to allow this authority, should I make any preparations to help the English? As you know, half of England and Wales is and has been Portuguese territory for quite some time.

- Marquis-General Markgraf to Baron Von Nienburg, September 8, 1585

My Lord Baron,

The Rheinisch have settled with Lorraine for a token payment of 1,000 ducats. This should cause some relief in the Ducal Chamber. The conflict now is reduced again to the Palatinate’s efforts against Alsace. Austrian and Bohemia inform heralds they still consider themselves at war with the Rheinisch, but have made no moves into Palatine territory.

The Western Army has now 24,000 foot, 4,000 cavalry, and 15 guns.

- Marquis-General Markgraf to Baron Von Nienburg, Octover 7, 1586

My Lord Baron,

The Rheinisch have at the last taken the Alsatian fortresses. No offer has been heard of to bring an end of things, however.

We have an army in Mainz and in Mecklemburg. We stand ready to aid the Swedish in their war against Denmark, but they appear to need no help.

- Marquis-General Markgraf to Baron Von Nienburg, Octover 7, 1588

My Lord Baron,

The Austrians and Bohemians were unable to access the Palatinate, and the courts of Europe therefore considered them no longer at war, according to the ancient rules of war.

Consequently, the Alsatians were forced to accept the annexation of their lands by the Palatinate. By the Grace of God, a great success for our Nation, Lord.

Copenhagen is strongly invested by our troops. Some of our outposts in Sjaelland lit fires of luck to our Baltic fleet passing the Sound, on their way to Iceland. They responded with horns and signal lamps, to the great delight of our men.

- Baron Von Nienburg to Colonel Greunberg to April 11, 1593

Colonel,

Tell the Swedish King that we are pleased to accept and recognize the settlement with Danmarck, which represents a great triumph for Sweden. No longer will His country be separated on land. A Swede could walk from Skane to Kexholm, or the uncharted north of Kola, unfettered by the agents and designs of foreign lands, etc. Danish influence in the Eastern Baltic is and will be forever shattered.

Privately, their acquisition of the Greenland colony, adjacent to ours, may be a point of contention between us, since it adds to our already high concern over Swedish occupation of Pommern.

Also, my Colonel, your son reports to me that he has landed in Gander, our recent acquisition from the Danes, in the New World. Tis a wondrous place. However, our cartography of the New World, and Asia, for that matter, is very limited. We are content with maintaining trade cartels in Spain and Portugal, however, to reap the benefits of the Wealth of this land.

With Faith in Your Success, etc.

- Count von Mecklemburg to Viscomtesse Von Konigsberg-Stadt, 1595

My dear Viscomtesse,

My fealty to you will never waver. The appointment to Mecklemburg has brought our family great wealth. Do you know the censors tell me that there are nearly one quarter of a million persons in the city? We rival London or Paris in this aspect.

I trust that the Duke still favors you with his ear from time to time. In that case, I must pass on some news and views of mine in which I have grown faith.

Tell the Duke that we have established the Landesgericht in Mecklemburg and Bremen, according to the Law of the Landesgericht promugated so many years ago. I was grateful for the permission to do this since it means the Duke has faith that these areas will remain Prussian whatever may come.

I have considered that it is time to view our policy viz England with new vigor. We were all surprised when the Saxons signed their pledge to the English. This stole the Saxons out from under us. It is ridiculous to think of the argumentative, divided and poor English having the title of Lord over the Saxon kingdom. Humorous anecdotes circulate among the circles in the Salons throughout northwestern Germany about this. The English are not too well liked here because of the repression of the Duke of York and his blood relatives who take great pleasure in slaughtering the Calvinists of Zeelandt. And of the last, the English are constantly getting into wars in the New World with the natives there, which causes, by some strained legality, our Alliance to be extended. Surely the Duke would like more flexibility with respect to our great Alliance?

We should to war with either the English or the Portuguese. Either make the English strong in their own demesne, or help them drive out the Portuguese from Northern Europe and the English island.

Or, perhaps we should let all simply rest. I am no expert on these matters. But these are my views as you have asked me to say, to keep the Duke well informed.

On the matter of the Duke’s proposal. I think it well that he should garner the support of the Pope to acquire a greater title, such as that of Grand Duke or even King of Prussia. It seems to me and others here strange and lacking that our Duke has the same title of men with only tenths of His power and land.

I am,

Your Humble Servant, etc.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- Grand Duke Albert Friedrich to King Christian IV of Denmark 1606

Your Majesty,

We are at last rid of the alliance with the English. Our means were not simple, but we have achieved it. We grew tired of the constant wars against the natives of the New World, and their suppression of the Calvinists in Holland. The Brandenburg Declaration of War against Poland was our opportunity, since we have no designs on any Polish principalities. And so we left the alliance, leaving it at war with the Dutch.

We are content to sit back with Your Majesty and observe the English and their allies at war with the Dutch, and at the same time the Spanish and Portuguese at war with the French. Nothing could make us happier, except perhaps the final conversion of the Catholics of Bremen, and a general war against the Ottoman Turks. But, we should learn to accept the differences between Christian faiths before any such thing is possible.

If the opportunity presents, we shall endeavor to secure the maps of the New World by the point of a sword in Holland, but only after the Dutch have won the remaining Calvinist areas of their country.

Your Brother, etc.

- Baronete Von Moltke to Grand Duke Albert Friedrich, 1616

Lord,

I thank you for the appointment to the charge of the Prussian West African Expeditionary forces. I will name the force, for secrecy’s sake, the Prussian Special Western Force.

As to your commendation to me regarding my activities during the recently concluded Dutch and English War, I can only recommend those who would to review the steadiness and steadfastness of my subordinate officers and their truppen.

Upon your instructions I will forward the message to all district commanders to continue to permit rebellions in Zeeland and Munster until such time as they have the dignity to declare for Holland, or for independence.

Ever Faithful, etc.

- Baronete Von Moltke to Grand Duke Georg Wilhelm, 1620

Lord,

I am grateful for Your Grace’s permission to embark for Ashanti. We have put to with 4 line ships, and 16 transport, 26,000 foot, 7000 horsemen, and 10 guns. This should be more than sufficient for the capture of the Ashanti lands. My only concern is the long distance from Bremen.

Ever Faithful, etc.

- Baronete Von Moltke to Grand Duke Georg Wilhelm, 1620

Lord,

I have just met with the former Ashanti King and informed him that his new master is Your Lordship. Accompanying this letter, sent by our fastest transport, is a full report regarding the territory of the new Prussian West Africa

Ever Faithful, etc.

- Duke of Danzig Friedrich Wilhelm to Grand Duke Georg Wilhelm, undated ca 1635

My Father :

I have arrived in Leone, Prussian West Africa. You have given me the authority, freedom, and most importantly troops and gold, with which to execute our plan to expand our holdings here.

Based on my assessment, I will aim for the expansion of our current coastal holdings to the trading center of Ivoria, and if possible reduce the Kingdom of Soghai to allow our Empire to aquire the gold north of here.

- Duke of Danzig Friedrich Wilhelm to Grand Duke Georg Wilhelm, undated ca 1640

My Father :

All of our objectives here have been achieved, and I am embarking for Bremen in a few weeks.

This letter is attached to a full report from my staff, which entails the expenditures of money, and the assignments of men, in Your Domain here. Prussian West Africa now encompasses 4 provinces, include the trade center of Ivoria, and approximately 400,000 new residents of our holdings. The taxes from these holdings, plus the trade in Ivoria alone, should we monopolize it, should make us of the first rank in revenue in Europe. Prussia should also become the leading producers of Ivory in the world.

- Grand Duke Friedrich Wilhelm to Queen of Sweden Christina, undated ca 1650

Your Majesty,

Now shall I recount the crimes of Sweden which today force upon Us a condition of war between Our two great countries.

In the time of my forefathers, you attacked without warning or reason Our Brothers in Pommern, and annexed that country to the Crown of Sweden. For generations we have allowed the evil effects of this crime to fester in Germany, resulting in periodic revolts and wars in that area which no doubt cast their shadow upon Prussia.

Three times in the last Generation, Your country has made war on the Russians, each time attempting to steal from them lands which are rightfully theirs. I can now tell You that part of the reason Your armies failed was that Prussia gave gold, aid and comfort to the Russian Throne.

Last year, You forced the Nobles of Brandenburg to agree to annexation of Brandenburg holdings to Sweden. While You of course have the shield of legality upon this Act, We of Prussia know better. Those lands were Ours. They were Ruled by this Humble Duke concomittantly with Our Rule in Prussia. You have by this act in effect stolen Brandenburg from the Sovereign Duchy of Prussia.

Several years ago, You were warned against making war upon any of our Brother states, in an unequivocal document We delivered to the Swedish Ambassador in Koenigsburg. You, apparently convinced of Your Own power, chose to ignore this warning, and made war on the Muscovites yet again. This is an affrontery to Prussia and all the Crowns and Houses of Europe.

We therefore declare war upon the Crown of Sweden, along with our Brothers in Justice, the Kingdom of Denmark.

- Grand Duke Friedrich Wilhelm to Queen of Sweden Christina, October 1652

Your Majesty,

In return for your complete and irrevocable cession of the ancient Prussian lands of Brandenburg, and all the counties of Pommern, we shall permit your continued sovereignty over the province of Strasund, and that of Kleves-Berg.

EU2_Prussia_1653.jpg

Prussia after the Swedish Cession

Last edited:
Chapter VIII

Beginning in 1653, Prussia fought a series of wars against Sweden, England, Austria and Saxony, emerging from them larger and stronger than before.

- Grand Duke Friedrich Wilhelm to King of Denmark, 1656

Your Majesty,

It is with great regret that I must inform you our Alliance no longer serves the interests of Prussia.

You have been a steadfast ally, and We might even say restrained and wise with respect to your situation with Sweden. However, Prussia’s concern now extends to all Protestants in Germany, and defense against states bowing to the Church of Rome which have been incessant in their efforts to subjugate the Christians following the precepts of Luther.

We feel that an alliance led by Ourselves would be of greater service to these ends. We hereby invite you to join it. Your Crown, being so near the Swedes, could not but appreciate the adherence of the Russian Crown to this alliance, which effectively guarantees the neutralization of Sweden.

etc.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1657 – 1660 The First Prusso-Austrian War

- Grand Duke Friedrich Wilhelm to Doge of Venice, Republic of Venice, March 12, 1657

Gracious Doge,

The alliance which is led by your Republic should be commended to all Europe for their courage in opposing the Austrian annexation of Bohemia. It is My duty to inform you that the Prussian alliance shall also be delivering a Declaration of War against the Austrian Crown.

This shall be no war of sectarian differences. Ours is not a desire to effect or impose the teachings of Luther on anyone. I need not instruct the Venetian alliance on the nobility of opposing the unwarranted aggrandizement of territory by European states.

The Austrian army is to be respected, Doge. While We do not doubt a victorious outcome, We are sparing no expense or man in the collection of troops and machines of war to effect it. We trust you will do the same.

- Grand Duke Friedrich Wilhelm to Emperor Leopold of Austria, October, 1660

Emperor Leopold,

Our commendations on Election to the Imperial Throne of the Holy Roman Empire, and for having the wisdom to end the conflict between the Austrian and Prussian Crowns. We ask for no gold, but for the cession of Silesia to Prussia in return for our evacuation from all of the areas of Bohemia, Moravia, et. al.

I am now at your Service, Emperor, &etc.

1662 – 1670 The Second Swedish Cession and the acquisition of English Colonies

- Grand Duke Friedrich Wilhelm to King Karl IX of Sweden, May, 1662

Your Majesty.

Regardless of what follows in this correspondence to you, your Highness, think upon this : Sweden would be well advised to once and for all quit all claims in and against any lands in Pommern.

Prussia has no choice but to Declare a State of War between Our Nations. Sweden has once again annexed the brave Pommeranians who by right of arms threw off the Shackles of Sweden and declared their State to be again housed among the Crowns of Europe.

For the second time in a generation, Your Majesty, your nation will now to war over a province and a people that desire you not. Is it worth the cost?

- Grand Duke Friedrich Wilhelm to King Johann-Georg of Saxony, July 20, 1666

Your Majesty.

Saxony has made a grave mistake in asserting, in Our Embassies and Salons across Europe, that She can disparage the Ducal Crown of Prussia as inferior to the Sovereign Crown of Saxony by virtue of a difference in title. Your mistake, Highness, is based on the assumption that our armies are hard pressed by those of Sweden and therefore we would not be in a position to correct this insult. You are mistaken. This letter should inform you as well, that we have secretly concluded a peace with the Swedish allies the English, in which they cede to us the colonies of Surinam, Antsirana, Michilimackinac, and Keren. Now you should find Yourselves without Protectors of any stripe.

While Your nation was once Our good friend, Your nation has despicably given its vassalage to the divided and weak Crown of England, and insult and crime to all Germans and Lutherans. This crime shall now be avenged.

The Duchy of Prussia Declares a State of War between the Kingdom of Saxony and Our Duchy. Long Live Prussia !

- Grand Duke Friedrich Wilhelm to King Karl IX of Sweden, March 14, 1670

I am happy to conclude near the walls of Stockholm a peace between our nations now at war these last 8 years. Your Kingdom shall retain on the continent of Europe only the Catholic Duchy of Kleves-Berg. Further, You recognize, guarantee and acknowledge the cession of other States to Prussia all such provinces and colonies as have been acquired to date. You shall also cede to Russia the area of Tavast.

Long Live Prussia!

EU2_AAR_PRUSS1677.jpg

Prussia in 1677, after the Second Swedish Cession, and the Saxon War.

Just spent some time catching back up with this great AAR. It's strange, but I feel almost a little guilty...kind of like I'm rummaging through someone else's mail...

Kudos! I guess this now makes you an official "foreign correspondent" ;)