• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like to avoid secondary cultures, especially when they concern provinces of different religion. With Greek culture, Venice or the Ottomans can easily convert their Orthodox provinces when that was not the case historically. So I like to remove secondary cultures and instead give a tax boost, and even then wrong-cultured provinces are still fairly easy to convert with a super-admin monarch and random events. My idea for the mod I'm currently working on is to make conversions of provinces of major/non-pagan religions almost impossible by drastically lowering the missionary placement chance.

This is what I've done, and I like the results. Mission efforts only really have a shot in your own core culture provinces, and even then they can linger for a while. Now if only there were a way to lower missionary cost. As it stands you get stacks of missionaries from DP or events that never get used. You're almost better off going narrowminded and waiting for random conversion events.

I like to avoid secondary cultures, especially when they concern provinces of different religion. With Greek culture, Venice or the Ottomans can easily convert their Orthodox provinces when that was not the case historically. So I like to remove secondary cultures and instead give a tax boost, and even then wrong-cultured provinces are still fairly easy to convert with a super-admin monarch and random events. My idea for the mod I'm currently working on is to make conversions of provinces of major/non-pagan religions almost impossible by drastically lowering the missionary placement chance.

Or simply assuming that "conversion by a missionary" could be seen not just as "100% of the people in Serbia are now sunni muslims" but that the local population ceases to be hostile to the state religion and pays taxes without revolting.

I would agree with your choice of "no secondary cultures" to avoid ahistorical conversions IF the game allowed to really "tolerate" religions.
EU2 and FtG´s tolerance sliders only effect revoltrisk - the taxes that are paid are still lowered by 30% even when e.g. historically the christian subjects of the Ottoman Empire were paying MORE taxes than the muslim subject.
So if as Ottoman Empire setting the tolerance slider to fully tolerate "orthodox" and then gaining full taxes from them - then converting those provinces won´t be necessary anymore.

IMO, the biggest problem, rather than in the tax penalty (because 30% isn't much and can easily be balanced out with increased tax values or cash rewards in the form of jizya events), lies in the stabcost.

So if as Ottoman Empire setting the tolerance slider to fully tolerate "orthodox" and then gaining full taxes from them - then converting those provinces won´t be necessary anymore.
I fully agree with this. Making the tolerance slider affect both the RR and taxes is a great idea.

is rhe idea to remove ALL secondary cultures OR is it to remove secondary cultures if religons are different.?
The second scenario is entirely unfair to border states, besides the Ottomans accepted orthodox religions , but not christian ones. Venice built Greek othodox churches and accepted Greek orthodox even against Papal direction, the dutch accepted the christian frisians, the english had to accepted the christian irish, the swedes accepted the baltic orthodox...........there is a lot of scnarios.

I can accept the first idea to remove every secondary culture, but thats where i draw the line.

Another idea is to lower the 30% tax to 70% as an example and also the manpower t 50%.

The issue I see from the ottomans early on is to spend their money on conversion, this is the issue.

I do stop this by having zero missionaries in the defines file.

Could someone explain the purpose of such an action? This is from VEN 326022.

Code:
action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME326022A" #Erect new fortress in Veneto
		command = { type = fortress which = 370 value = -3 } #Veneto
		#Veneto fortress +3
		command = { type = fortress which = 370 value = 1 } #Veneto
		command = { type = stability value = 1 }
		command = { type = treasury value = -200 }

This only seems useful if VEN fortress is 2 or less, which is highly doubtful in the 1590s.

Could someone explain the purpose of such an action? This is from VEN 326022.

Code:
action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME326022A" #Erect new fortress in Veneto
		command = { type = fortress which = 370 value = -3 } #Veneto
		#Veneto fortress +3
		command = { type = stability value = 1 }
		command = { type = treasury value = -200 }

This only seems useful if VEN fortress is 2 or less, which is highly doubtful in the 1590s.

I was told by yoda, that its a way that Vento cannot have level 4 fortress prior to timeframe. I never understood it, to me it was a waste of VEN monies

What the hell is that? :wacko:

Code:
#(1513) Niccolò Machiavelli publishes 'The Prince' - Flavor
#by Henrik 'Doomdark' Fåhraeus
event = {
	id = 5220
	random = no
	country = TOS
	name = "EVENTNAME5220" #Machiavelli publishes 'The Prince'
	desc = "EVENTHIST5220"
	#-#Niccolò Machiavelli was an Italian writer and statesman Florentine patriot and original political theorist whose principal work 'The Prince' brought him a reputation of amoral cynicism. Yet Machiavelli's affections always lay with the republic and all of his theories were intended for its betterment but the corruption of the times the weakness of the states of Italy and the threat of foreign conquest made him long for that 'new prince' who might give reality to his great dream of the redemption of Italy.

date = { day = 1 month = june year = 1513 }
	offset = 200
	deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1513 }

action_a = {
		name = "OK"
		command = { type = relation which = -1 value = 20 }
		command = { type = diplomats value = 3 }
		command = { type = domestic which = ARISTOCRACY value = 1 }
[COLOR="#FF0000"][B]		command = { type = add_countryculture which = aborigin }[/B][/COLOR]
	}
}

Code:
event = {
	id = 5220
	random = no
	country = TOS
	desc = "EVENTHIST5220"
	#-#Niccolò Machiavelli was an Italian writer and statesman Florentine patriot and original political theorist whose principal work 'The Prince' brought him a reputation of amoral cynicism. Yet Machiavelli's affections always lay with the republic and all of his theories were intended for its betterment but the corruption of the times the weakness of the states of Italy and the threat of foreign conquest made him long for that 'new prince' who might give reality to his great dream of the redemption of Italy.

offset = 200

action_a = {
		name = "OK"
[COLOR="#FF0000"][B]		command = { type = add_countryculture which = aborigin }[/B][/COLOR]
	}
}

That must be a leftover event from before the last cultural changes. Tuscany only has italian culture and should gain lombard culture in that event.

Better create another event then as this makes it sound as if Machiavelli was somehow responsible for Florentine expansion.
In any case, Florence\Tuscany shouldn't be getting Lombard culture as their only historical gain is Siena. Lombard culture should only be given for alternative events.

Better create another event then as this makes it sound as if Machiavelli was somehow responsible for Florentine expansion.
In any case, Florence\Tuscany shouldn't be getting Lombard culture as their only historical gain is Siena. Lombard culture should only be given for alternative events.
Yes, I agree. I have read through the eu2 agceep Italy thread but found nothing about that command line. So I can't give any reason about it... In ftg agceep 1.57 it wasn't there.

In 1419 TOS inc file we have these lines:

Code:
country = {
	tag = TOS
	ai = {
		flags = {
			[TOS_Republic] = yes
		}
	}
	ai = "SmallCRC0.ai"
	flagname = "Republic"

Do we need events TOS_297039-43 now? Here is one of them:

Code:
event = {
	id = 297039
	trigger = { NOT = { flag = [TOS_Republic] } }
	random = no
	country = TOS
	name = "EVENTNAME297039" #Florence civic pride
	desc = "EVENTHIST297039"
	#-#A large revolt has finally chased out the tyrant and the independence has been definitively gained. The Republic is restored.

date = { day = 0 month = january year = 1419 }
	offset = 1
	deathdate = { day = 0 month = january year = 1433 }

action_a = {
		name = "GOOD"
		command = { type = setflag which = [TOS_Republic] }
		command = { type = flagname which = "Republic" }
		command = { type = treasury value = 50 }
		command = { type = INF which = 401 value = 2000 } #Firenze
	}
}

They were made just for this flag only. Since we have already this flag in the scenario defines for Tuscany, does it mean that a reappearing TOS would always have the Republic flag (the red lily on white) as default?

If yes, these events are now meaningless and never fire.

Last edited:

Code:
event = {
	id = 5220
	random = no
	country = TOS
	desc = "EVENTHIST5220"

offset = 200

action_a = {
		name = "OK"
	}
}

I have found out the discussion about it here.

In reading through the revolt.txt I have found this about Naples:

Code:
NAP = { #Naples
	no = SIC
	date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1419 }
	expirydate = { year = 1820 }
	minimum = { 393 394 }
	extra = { }
	capital = 393
	group = latin
	ai = "SmallTrade2.ai"
}

I would suggest that we have Napoli (393) as minimum province only. It is strange to see the kingdom of Naples popping up in Apulia (!?).

Apulia (394) should be extra and subsequently a claim core.

Or we could have that socalled persistent event here in order to move the capital to Naples in case the province is reconquered.

However there shouldn't be issues in the events dealing with the Italian Wars, in particular with France, Spain and Aragon, or in events about the succession of Naples with Aragon and the kingdom of the Two Sicilies with Spain. Triggered events to give Apulia as further province were already provided.

A persistent event could be used for all capital moves then, in any country! :eek: :)

Last edited:
Following event seems to have a trigger inconsistent with the command lines and also we need to add core. That's why a country changing into NAP won't receive its cores:

Sleepevent command is also wrong as it points an event triggered by a SPA event to release NAP. That is 239025 is the event to be slept, and potentially an issue because it fires if Naples is currently existing:

Code:
#(1733-1736) Carlo I occupies Naples and Sicily
event = {
	id = 390025
	trigger = {
		event = 390029 #PAR: The Polish Succession of 1733
		owned = { province = 402 data = -1 } #Emilia
		owned = { province = 393 data = -1 } #Napoli 
		control = { province = 393 data = -1 } #Napoli
		[COLOR=Red]control = { province = 394 data = -1 } #Apulia[/COLOR] 
		[COLOR=Yellow]OR = { [/COLOR] 
			control = { province = 395 data = -1 } #Messina
			control = { province = 396 data = -1 } #Sicily
		[COLOR=Yellow]}[/COLOR] 
		NOT = { exists = NAP }
	}
	random = no
	country = PAR
	name = "EVENTNAME390025" #Regno delle Due Sicilie
	desc = "EVENTHIST390025"
	#-#On December 1 1734, Carlo I wrested control of Naples and Sicily from the Holy Roman Emperor Karl VI. Now styling himself 'King of the Two Sicilies' he moved the Court from Parma to Naples. In 1735, Carlo resigned Parma to Karl VI in exchange for the Emperor's recognition of his conquest of the Two Sicilies. The terms were formally ratified in the Treaty of Vienna 1738, confirmed at the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle 1748.

date = { day = 13 month = september year = 1733 }
	offset = 20
	deathdate = { day = 2 month = october year = 1735 }

action_a = {
		name = "OK"
		command = { type = inherit which = SIC }
		command = { type = flagname which = "" }
		command = { type = country which = NAP }
		command = { type = capital which = 393 } #Napoli
		command = { type = flagname which = "Bourbon" }
		command = { type = relation which = HAB value = 25 }
		command = { type = [COLOR=Red]se[/COLOR]  cedeprovince which = HAB value = 402 } #Emilia
		command = { type = removecore_[COLOR=Yellow]national[/COLOR]  which = 402 } #Emilia
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = addcore_national which = 393 } #Napoli
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 394 } #Apulia
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 395 } #Messina
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 396 } #Sicily[/COLOR] 
		command = { type = sleepevent which = [COLOR=Yellow]239025[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]239015[/COLOR] } #NAP: [COLOR=Yellow]The Bourbon Dynasty in Naples[/COLOR]  [COLOR=Red]The Kingdom of Naples and Sicily[/COLOR]
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = trigger which = 285335 } #SPA: The Kingdom of Naples and Sicily[/COLOR] 
	}
}

A NEW Spanish event to remove the cores in case King Felipe's son, Don Carlos, conquers Naples. This event is similar to current SPA_285096:

Code:
#(1733-1736) The independence of Sicily (event to remove cores if PAR Don Carlos gets Naples and Sicily)
event = {
	id = 285335 #triggered by PAR_390025
	random = no
	country = SPA
	name = "EVENTNAME285096" #The Kingdom of Naples and Sicily
	desc = "EVENTHIST285096"
	#-#In the war of Polish succession Felipe V of Spain supported France in her fight against Austria and Russia in order to make the French candidate to be elected as King of Poland. He hoped in this way to secure Mantua for the elder son, Don Carlos, who, already Duke of Parma as Carlo I, had also the expectation of Tuscany and to give the Kingdoms of Naples and Sicily to the younger son, Don Felipe. Since Austria was fighting on several fronts on the Rhine against France and on Lombardia against Savoy, Spain easily conquered Naples and Sicily which Austria had previously occupied during the war of Spanish succession. In 1735 the peace treaty that followed the war of Polish succession established that Felipe's son Carlos (later Charles III of Spain) should give up the duchy of Parma, which he had inherited in 1731 as descent of the Farnese family through his mother, Elisabetta Farnese, Queen of Spain and any claim to Tuscany, given to the Duke of Lorraine after Gian Gastone, the last of the Medicis, died. In exchange for that, Don Carlos was confirmed the possession of his conquests in Southern Italy. On 3 October 1735 Don Carlos, named Carlo VII King of Naples and Carlo V King of Sicily, established the cadet line of the Spanish House of Bourbons in the Kingdoms of Naples and Sicily (renamed Kingdom of Two Sicilies after 1815).

action_a = {
		name = "GOOD" 
		command = { type = remove_countryculture which = italian }
		command = { type = dynastic which = NAP }
		command = { type = removecore which = 393 } #Napoli
		command = { type = removecore which = 394 } #Apulia
		command = { type = removecore which = 395 } #Messina
		command = { type = removecore which = 396 } #Sicily
		command = { type = removecore which = 819 } #Malta, just in case
		command = { type = cedeprovince which = NAP value = 393 } #Napoli
		command = { type = cedeprovince which = NAP value = 394 } #Apulia
		command = { type = cedeprovince which = NAP value = 395 } #Messina
		command = { type = cedeprovince which = NAP value = 396 } #Sicily
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation which = HAB value = 50 }
	}
}

Last edited:
Following event seems to have a trigger inconsistent with the command lines and also we need to add core. That's why a country changing into NAP won't receive its cores.

Sleepevent command is also wrong as it points an event triggered by a SPA event to release NAP. That is 239025 is the event to be slept, and potentially an issue because it fires if Naples is currently existing:

The event already has the condition that NAP does not exist in it´s trigger. So it´s o.k. to have sleepevent 239015 as command, in which NAP after being released by SPA then changes to the Boubon dynastie - as that already happens when PAR conquers the area and gets 390025. It´s just an alternative way to create a bourbon Naples in case that the area had been conquered by Spain and not by Parma that is slept if Parma manages to do it.

Code:
#(1733-1736) Carlo I occupies Naples and Sicily
event = {
	id = 390025
	trigger = {
		event = 390029 #PAR: The Polish Succession of 1733
		owned = { province = 402 data = -1 } #Emilia
		owned = { province = 393 data = -1 } #Napoli
		control = { province = 393 data = -1 } #Napoli
		[COLOR=Red]control = { province = 394 data = -1 } #Apulia[/COLOR]

Why remove control of Apulia as a condition? Historically it was there that austrian power was broken in the battle of Bitonto
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bitonto

Code:
		[COLOR=Yellow]OR = { [/COLOR] 
			control = { province = 395 data = -1 } #Messina
			control = { province = 396 data = -1 } #Sicily
		[COLOR=Yellow]}[/COLOR] 
		NOT = { exists = NAP }
	}
	random = no
	country = PAR
	name = "EVENTNAME390025" #Regno delle Due Sicilie
	desc = "EVENTHIST390025"
	#-#On December 1 1734, Carlo I wrested control of Naples and Sicily from the Holy Roman Emperor Karl VI. Now styling himself 'King of the Two Sicilies' he moved the Court from Parma to Naples. In 1735, Carlo resigned Parma to Karl VI in exchange for the Emperor's recognition of his conquest of the Two Sicilies. The terms were formally ratified in the Treaty of Vienna 1738, confirmed at the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle 1748.

date = { day = 13 month = september year = 1733 }
	offset = 20
	deathdate = { day = 2 month = october year = 1735 }

action_a = {
		name = "OK"
		command = { type = inherit which = SIC }
		command = { type = flagname which = "" }
		command = { type = country which = NAP }
		command = { type = capital which = 393 } #Napoli
		command = { type = flagname which = "Bourbon" }
		command = { type = relation which = HAB value = 25 }
		command = { type = [COLOR=Red]se[/COLOR]  cedeprovince which = HAB value = 402 } #Emilia
		command = { type = removecore_[COLOR=Yellow]national[/COLOR]  which = 402 } #Emilia
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = addcore_national which = 393 } #Napoli
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 394 } #Apulia
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 395 } #Messina
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 396 } #Sicily[/COLOR] 
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 2[COLOR=Yellow]239025[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]239015[/COLOR] } #NAP: [COLOR=Yellow]The Bourbon Dynasty in Naples[/COLOR]  [COLOR=Red]The Kingdom of Naples and Sicily[/COLOR]
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = trigger which = 285335 } #SPA: The Kingdom of Naples and Sicily[/COLOR] 
	}
}

Would it create problems to move the deathdate from 1735 to 1737 to allow more time to fulfill the conditions?
Historically 1735 was the time the peace was made but it was not fully effective until 1737:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Polish_Succession#Peace_settlement

Should Parma still inherit Sicily when it creates Naples? Or should we change that to the new "annex command so that it does not gain the armies of Sicily and more Badboy?

A NEW SPA event to remove the cores in case King Felipe's son, Don Carlos, conquers Naples. This event is similar to current SPA_285096:

Code:
#(1733-1736) The independence of Sicily (event to remove cores if PAR Don Carlos gets Naples and Sicily)
event = {
	id = 285335 #triggered by PAR_390025
	random = no
	country = SPA
	name = "EVENTNAME285096" #The Kingdom of Naples and Sicily
	desc = "EVENTHIST285096"
	#-#In the war of Polish succession Felipe V of Spain supported France in her fight against Austria and Russia in order to make the French candidate to be elected as King of Poland. He hoped in this way to secure Mantua for the elder son, Don Carlos, who, already Duke of Parma as Carlo I, had also the expectation of Tuscany and to give the Kingdoms of Naples and Sicily to the younger son, Don Felipe. Since Austria was fighting on several fronts on the Rhine against France and on Lombardia against Savoy, Spain easily conquered Naples and Sicily which Austria had previously occupied during the war of Spanish succession. In 1735 the peace treaty that followed the war of Polish succession established that Felipe's son Carlos (later Charles III of Spain) should give up the duchy of Parma, which he had inherited in 1731 as descent of the Farnese family through his mother, Elisabetta Farnese, Queen of Spain and any claim to Tuscany, given to the Duke of Lorraine after Gian Gastone, the last of the Medicis, died. In exchange for that, Don Carlos was confirmed the possession of his conquests in Southern Italy. On 3 October 1735 Don Carlos, named Carlo VII King of Naples and Carlo V King of Sicily, established the cadet line of the Spanish House of Bourbons in the Kingdoms of Naples and Sicily (renamed Kingdom of Two Sicilies after 1815).

action_a = {
		name = "GOOD" 
		command = { type = remove_countryculture which = italian }
		command = { type = dynastic which = NAP }
		command = { type = removecore which = 393 } #Napoli
		command = { type = removecore which = 394 } #Apulia
		command = { type = removecore which = 395 } #Messina
		command = { type = removecore which = 396 } #Sicily
		command = { type = removecore which = 819 } #Malta, just in case
		command = { type = cedeprovince which = NAP value = 393 } #Napoli
		command = { type = cedeprovince which = NAP value = 394 } #Apulia
		command = { type = cedeprovince which = NAP value = 395 } #Messina
		command = { type = cedeprovince which = NAP value = 396 } #Sicily
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation which = HAB value = 50 }
	}
}

Shoudln´t we consistenly use the new removecore_national command in new events?

The event already has the condition that NAP does not exist in it´s trigger. So it´s o.k. to have sleepevent 239015 as command, in which NAP after being released by SPA then changes to the Boubon dynastie - as that already happens when PAR conquers the area and gets 390025. It´s just an alternative way to create a bourbon Naples in case that the area had been conquered by Spain and not by Parma that is slept if Parma manages to do it.
I understand now, thanks. Yes, than the sleepcommand is correct.

But do we need 239025 now, with the addition of the new lines. I wanted to use 239025 just for an ahistorically independent Naples. So, I'd suggest to include a sleepevent command for 239025 too.

Why remove control of Apulia as a condition? Historically it was there that austrian power was broken in the battle of Bitonto
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bitonto
Ok, I have thought of Naples only as the main inland province to be correctly checked for this event to happen.

Would it create problems to move the deathdate from 1735 to 1737 to allow more time to fulfill the conditions?
Historically 1735 was the time the peace was made but it was not fully effective until 1737:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Polish_Succession#Peace_settlement
death date on 8 july 1737 then? This is the day before Gian Gastone's death. Event TOS_17370 already covers the Lorraine rule over Tuscany since then.

Should Parma still inherit Sicily when it creates Naples? Or should we change that to the new "annex command so that it does not gain the armies of Sicily and more Badboy?
Yes, logically a country controlling a core province shouldn't inherit but force-annex. Ok, then.

Shoudln´t we consistenly use the new removecore_national command in new events?
Yes, you're right.

Last edited: