• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, we accept plausible sequences if contributors propose well made ones. Of course we can help for syntax, advices and we will always comment but don't expect us to write it, we have much to do with History already, not to mention source code for some of us.

Just wondering whether the is an event moving the Turkish capital away from Istanbul if it gets captured its just as Russia I would quite like to get event '271000. Russia controls Constantinople' however is this impossible after the Turks have taken it without wiping out the Turks altogether?

Just wondering whether the is an event moving the Turkish capital away from Istanbul if it gets captured its just as Russia I would quite like to get event '271000. Russia controls Constantinople' however is this impossible after the Turks have taken it without wiping out the Turks altogether?

don't think so, but there is an event where the TUR do not move capital to Constantinople , but remain in asia minor

Problem In "AGCEEP" Concerning the Ottoman Caliphate

I don't know if anybody is going to read this, or care or anything, but...

In For the Glory's AGCEEP mod, if the Ottoman Empire conquers Egypt, he gets a flavor event of him becoming Caliph by convincing the last Abbassid caliph to hand the title over. The problem is that such an event is today seen as a fabrication or a hoax, invented by later Turkish historians. There is no evidence that this has ever happened. I'm pretty sure the Ottomans have made sporadic claims of being a caliphate (and in fact, tried to use that to get some Muslim nations, such as Morocco, to recognize this), but did not really need the Abassaid caliph to hand that title over to it. Rather, it would likely be due to the Ottomans' conquest of Constantinople, Mecca, and Medina, that would be the reason why the Ottomans would make such sproadic claims. Even then...the title of Sultan was preferred. Thus, having that event where the Abassids formally transfer power to the Ottomans does sorta ruins the historical immersion, etc.

The real "date" for when you can say that the Ottoman Empire started continually claiming the title of Caliphate was in 1774, during the Treaty of Kuchuk Kainarji. This treaty, signed after the Ottomans' defeat in Russo-Turkish War, gave the Russians power to intervene in Turkey on the basis of protecting the Othrodox population. But it also gave the Caliph the right to protect Muslims in Russia. Thus, this treaty was commonly seen as the first time when the Ottomans used that title of Caliph outside of its border.

When the Ottoman Empire was prosperous, it did not use the title of Caliph. But when the Ottoman Empire was declining, the Ottomans saw the title of Caliph as a way to regain its former prestige and power, by finding a way to influence European powers by claiming some status of leading the Muslim minorities. In this way, the title was useful to promote the Ottoman Empire, and so the Ottoman Sultans continued to use the title. The rest is history.

So, if one wants to be at least somewhat...semi-historical, you could tie the decision to become a Caliph based on the survival of the Ottoman Empire. If the Ottoman Empire is losing battles, then it could receive the decision to officially claim to be the Caliphate and lead Muslims, and try to regain its power through claiming a leadership role for Muslims.

In For the Glory's AGCEEP mod, if the Ottoman Empire conquers Egypt, he gets a flavor event of him becoming Caliph by convincing the last Abbassid caliph to hand the title over. The problem is that such an event is today seen as a fabrication or a hoax, invented by later Turkish historians. There is no evidence that this has ever happened. I'm pretty sure the Ottomans have made sporadic claims of being a caliphate (and in fact, tried to use that to get some Muslim nations, such as Morocco, to recognize this), but did not really need the Abassaid caliph to hand that title over to it. Rather, it would likely be due to the Ottomans' conquest of Constantinople, Mecca, and Medina, that would be the reason why the Ottomans would make such sproadic claims. Even then...the title of Sultan was preferred. Thus, having that event where the Abassids formally transfer power to the Ottomans does sorta ruins the historical immersion, etc.

The real "date" for when you can say that the Ottoman Empire started continually claiming the title of Caliphate was in 1774, during the Treaty of Kuchuk Kainarji. This treaty, signed after the Ottomans' defeat in Russo-Turkish War, gave the Russians power to intervene in Turkey on the basis of protecting the Othrodox population. But it also gave the Caliph the right to protect Muslims in Russia. Thus, this treaty was commonly seen as the first time when the Ottomans used that title of Caliph outside of its border.

When the Ottoman Empire was prosperous, it did not use the title of Caliph. But when the Ottoman Empire was declining, the Ottomans saw the title of Caliph as a way to regain its former prestige and power, by finding a way to influence European powers by claiming some status of leading the Muslim minorities. In this way, the title was useful to promote the Ottoman Empire, and so the Ottoman Sultans continued to use the title. The rest is history.

So, if one wants to be at least somewhat...semi-historical, you could tie the decision to become a Caliph based on the survival of the Ottoman Empire. If the Ottoman Empire is losing battles, then it could receive the decision to officially claim to be the Caliphate and lead Muslims, and try to regain its power through claiming a leadership role for Muslims.

Then the only way we can say that the TUR can claim caliph (if its losing) is if it has less than a certain number of owned provinces.
How many provinces do you think should NOT trigger the event?

Then the only way we can say that the TUR can claim caliph (if its losing) is if it has less than a certain number of owned provinces.
How many provinces do you think should NOT trigger the event?

Er...I don't know. I don't know how many provinces the Ottomans had at the end of the Treaty of Kuchuk Kainarji, nor do I have a map of FTG's provicinal map so that I can make a guess-estimate. And I don't want to specify too low a number.

Until I know...How about, have the event fire if the Ottomans control 75% of its provinces that it had under Suliaman the Magnificent. Again, I don't know what that is in FTG terms though. Gah.

If we want to replicate the treaty to some extent, then the Ottomans should have lost most of Hungary (for which we already have Karlowitz), whilst their power in the north, specifically the Crimeea (and the Caucasus for that matter) should be minimal. (the Crimeean Khanate became "indepedent" under Russian protection according to the treaty of 1774).

Of course this need only fire this late if the Ottomans made the right choices to protect the Crimeeans or expand into Hungary in the first place. Plus, the Empire should control Arabia down to Aden in one way or another for it to have sense. Also, if we want to simulate the problem further it should be bordered by hateful countries (relationswise) such as Austria, Russia (possibly Poland and Venice as well) and Persia, rather than a ring of vassals or weak countries.

Please provide more information. The defeat of the Mamluks opened the door to Medina and Mecca and not easy to be caliphe when there is another one. We just try to depict what happened de facto.

It's pretty easy to be a Caliph when there is another one. In fact, there was a period in Muslim history when they were three Caliphates: the Fatmid Dynasty in Egypt, the Ummayad Dynasty in Spain, and the Abbasid Dynasty in Iraq. Just because you claim to lead all Muslims doesn't mean that everyone else have to accept your claim.

I'll dig up sources later to try to prove my point, but to me, it just ruined the historical immersion by introducing an event that hasn't really been seen as true. If you want a de facto historical event where the Ottomans claim to be Caliph (just so you make it clear that the Ottomans are pretty powerful), then have the Ottomans consider themselves caliph when they conquer Mecca and Medina. They may still have to defeat the Malmuks to ensure that they keep uncontested control over Mecca and Medina, but owning the twin cities would allow them to at least make that claim (even if they later lose those two cities and the claim becomes more fantasy than fact).

I think Servant actually has a point. The Ottomans only started playing heavily on the "authority over all Islam" card after the defeats of the 18th century, and much more in the second half. Its historical mythology up until the end of the 17th century was much more focused on their claim to the heritage of the Roman Empire (a reason why the Ottomans had a particular hatred towards the Habsburgs, whom they deemed as usurpers of a title rightfully theirs).

That they became de facto the superpower of the Muslim world is beyond a doubt, but the idea of a "Caliph" was less prestigious at the time than the idea of Padishah or that of "Lord of the Two Continents", which is why they used the latter rather than the former as long as appeareances allowed it.

Well I do like to see myself as Caliph when I play the Ottoman Empire :D

And the english WIKI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Caliphate
does support that view.

Edit: I noticed the green caliphate flag on that page. Could we make an event similar to the austrian flag switch between emperor/no emperor flags for the Ottomans a well?

Why? My immersion is spoiled by the title sultan when Padishah would be more fitting ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliphate#Ottomans.2C_16th-20th_century

Although wikipedia can at times be a surprisingly good source in several instances (at least as far as the general terms go), they've got it wrong here and I can quote some titles if necessary.

One of the main points of the argument is that the title of Caliph had by then lost a lot of its once powerful mystique and it was only brought out again in full force when the state had fully begun its decline. (this means mostly the later part of the 18th to the early 20th century) Plus it had to do with legitimacy over the Levant and religious authority among other things. By the time of Suleyman the Magnificent, there was no need of such a special title and the more prestigious one was undoubtedly that of Imperial Majesty.

Now, on the other hand, the title of "gazza" was something which every Padishah/Sultan from Orkhan to the last Ottoman ruler took great pains to point out to his subjects. (which understandably did not go well with the Christian populace in the empire).

Although wikipedia can at times be a surprisingly good source in several instances (at least as far as the general terms go), they've got it wrong here and I can quote some titles if necessary.

One of the main points of the argument is that the title of Caliph had by then lost a lot of its once powerful mystique and it was only brought out again in full force when the state had fully begun its decline. (this means mostly the later part of the 18th to the early 20th century) Plus it had to do with legitimacy over the Levant and religious authority among other things. By the time of Suleyman the Magnificent, there was no need of such a special title and the more prestigious one was undoubtedly that of Imperial Majesty.

Now, on the other hand, the title of "gazza" was something which every Padishah/Sultan from Orkhan to the last Ottoman ruler took great pains to point out to his subjects. (which understandably did not go well with the Christian populace in the empire).

It´s not only WIKI. Other sites on the Internet, e.g.
http://europeanhistory.about.com/library/readyref/blottomanrulers.htm
mention the ottomans as both Sultans and Caliphs from 1517 onwards.
http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Middleeastweb/factfile/Unique-facts-MiddleEast6.htm
the ottoman state as the Caliphate
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19709
even mentions the Ottomans as Caliphs defending the muslim Aceh against the portuguese.

So while they perhaps did not advertise their title of Caliph beyond or above that of their title as Sultan or Padishah they still claimed both. And that means that the event after they conquer the Mamlucks is justified in mentioning that they from then on claimed the title of Caliph as well.

Nevertheless, I was talking about more reliable, scholarly sources, such as:

The Ottoman Empire and its Heritage:edited by
Suraiya Faroqhi and Halil Inalcik

Ottoman Diplomacy, Edited by A. Nuri Yurdusev

The Ottoman Empire and Early Modern Europe, by Daniel Goffman

or perhaps even

An Ottoman Mentality. The World of Evliya Çelebi, by Robert Dankoff

In any case, assuming that the Ottomans will be developed further, I simply recommend that the "Caliphate" notion be treated with reservations.

There were removed long before FTG in previous AGCEEP versions. As a general remark, we don't include events that will push AI in a ahistorical situation. Invasion was planned but never was and events for the Persian border have been reworked. ...

Simply because it didn't happen, according to the rules of the mod. It was decided this way and there is no need to push AI OE in this direction.

The Ottomans did at least take and hold Otranto and raided other cities in the province for almost a year and only problems with Skanderbeg delayed and the premature death of Mehmet II finally prevented that they took the whole province.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Otranto

IMO the main reason that AGCEEP did not give the OE a core on Tarent was that back then only one type of cores existed for EU2 and Tarent certainly never was a national province of the OE that granted them full manpower immediately.

I would suggest those changes to Albania and Tarent cores for the OE:

Code:
#(1421) The Conquests of Murad II
#by Chegitz Guevara
event = {
	id = 301001
	random = no
	country = TUR
	name = "EVENTNAME301001" #The Conquests of Murad II
	desc = "EVENTHIST301001"
	#-#During the reign of Murad II, Serbia and Bosnia were conquered briefly and the Ottomans attempted to conquer Albania.

date = { day = 26 month = may year = 1421 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME301001A" #I will restore the Empire
		command = { type = addcore which = 355 } #Serbia
		[color=red]command = { type = addcore which = 361 } #Albania[/color]
                [color=yellow]command = { type = addcore_claim which = 361 } #Albania resisted first attempts to conquer it[/color]
		command = { type = addcore which = 364 } #Bosnia
		command = { type = casusbelli which = HUN value = 360 }
		command = { type = casusbelli which = VEN value = 120 }
		#command = { type = AI which = TUR_MuradII.ai }
	}
}

#(1451) The Conquests of Mehmed II The Conqueror
event = {
	id = 301002
	random = no
	country = TUR
	name = "EVENTNAME301002" #The Conquests of Mehmed II The Conqueror
	desc = "EVENTHIST301002"
	#-#During Mehmed II's rule, Constantinople, Athens, Morea, Serbia, Bosnia, Karaman, Candar, Trebizond, Albania, Hercegovnia, Kercha, Kaffa and Otranto all fell to the Ottoman Sultan. In addition, he tried to take Rhodes. During his invasion of Italy, the Sultan died, which led to the evacuation of Otranto.

date = { day = 3 month = february year = 1451 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME301002A" #We need expansion
		command = { type = addcore which = 359 } #Hellas
		command = { type = addcore which = 360 } #Morea
		command = { type = addcore which = 464 } #Kaffa
		command = { type = addcore which = 475 } #Trabzon
		command = { type = addcore which = 481 } #Rhodes
		command = { type = addcore which = 482 } #Konya
		command = { type = addcore which = 1609 } #Kastamonu
		command = { type = addcore which = 1611 } #Taurus
                [color=yellow]command = { type = addcore_national which = 361 } #Albania [/color]
                [color=yellow]command = { type = addcore_claim which = 394 } #Taranto Tarent Otranto[/color]
		command = { type = casusbelli which = HUN value = 362 }
		command = { type = casusbelli which = VEN value = 362 }
		#command = { type = AI which = TUR_MehmetII.ai }
	}
}

[color=yellow]
#(1481-1820)
event = {
	id = 301133
	trigger = {
		NOT = {
			control = { province = 394 data = -1 } #Tarent
					}
                   core_claim = { province = 394 data = -1 }
	             }
	random = no
	country = TUR
	name = "EVENTNAME301133" #We have failed to defend our foothold in Italy
	desc = "EVENTHIST301002"
	#-#

date = { day = 03 month = may year = 1481 }
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { year = 1820 }

action_a = {
		name = "OK"
		command = { type = removecore_claim which = 394 } #Taranto
		command = { type = relation which = FRA value = 50 }
	}
}[/color]

Albania should not immediately give full manpower when they resisted the first attempt to conquer them. So I would add only the claim first and the national province core later.

Tarento should never be a national core so I would add only a claim and remove it as soon as the OE does not control Tarent after Mehmet II´s death.
I used the loss of the easternmost provinces event as template. There relations with PER are improved as the OE no longer claims those provinces.
When the OE no longer claims Tarent relations with FRA could rise. Tarent is part of the Kingdom of Naples that FRA at one time claims for themselves and FRA and the OE have a hard time being friends due to the diplomatic penalty of not tolerating the others religion while historically both worked closely together against the HRE.

Last edited:
Culture change event for Ragusa/Skutari

In my current game as the Ottomans I took Ragusa/Skutari province from Hellas and soon later the event fired that changed the culture from dalmatian to albanian while the text hinted at the OE victory over albania and how they became good sunni servants after the victorious Ottomans conquered them as the reason for the change.

Now in my game Albania has not yet been conquered and I find it strange that "Ragusa/Skutari" would change from dalmatian to albanian for the Ottomans when a) Albania still exists and resists the OE and b) the Ottomans have not yet gained albanian culture - making it meaningless as both dalmatian and albanian at that point in time will have the same penalties to the OE.

Event from AGCEEP_Global_ProvinceSpec.eue below.

I find that for the Ottomans the event should not happen before Albania has fallen. And it should not fire if the province is only owned but not controlled.

Code:
#(1420-[color=red]1810[/color][color=yellow]1820[/color]) Northern Albania
event = {
	id = 338447
	trigger = {
		OR = {
			[color=yellow]AND = {[/color] owned = { province = 362 data = ALB }
                                [color=yellow]control = { province = 362 data = ALB }
                               }[/color]
			[color=yellow]AND = {[/color]owned = { province = 362 data = TUR }
                                [color=yellow]control = { province = 362 data = TUR }
                                NOT = { exists = ALB }
                                }[/color]
	 	     }
	        }
	random = no
	province = 362 #Ragusa
	name = "EVENTNAME338447" #Northern Albania
	desc = "EVENTHIST338447"
	#-#Serbs were the dominant culture in Northern Albania, which was a part of Zeta or Dioclea, until Ottomans brought Islam into the region. Albanian nobles were quick to adopt the religion of victorious Empire and Albanian people followed after them. Once great friends of Serbs, Albanians joined the Turks in repressions of Orthodox population. Most Serbs fled the region to the north while those who remained were mostly Albanized.

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1420 }
	offset = 300
	deathdate = { [color=red]day = 29 month = december[/color] year = [color=red]1810[/color][color=yellow]1820[/color] }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME338447A" #Albanians rule in Skhoder
		command = { type = provinceculture which = 362 value = albanian }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 338446 } #ProvinceSpec*362: Serbian Zeta
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 338448 } #ProvinceSpec*362: Albania Veneta
	}
}

Last edited:
Mamluck annexation event

In my current game as the Ottoman EmpireI had a war against the Mamlucks to take the tradecenter of Azerbaidjan from them while still OE Sultan Bayezid II was ruling.

When I finished the siege of Egypt the annexation event fired and I got more than I wanted as I did not even yet have cores on the Mamlucks. IMO they should not fall so easily before their historical fall. Historically they did after all win the war against Bayezid II and crumbled only against Yavuz Selim.

Suggested changes for the the human player event below. For the AI there is still the ai only annexation event TUR 301086 that starts 1510.

Instead of the humanplayed Ottomans having only to control 1 of 6 provinces with the OR I would use the new someof to have them control 3. And when a player tries to do that outside the historical timeframe before or after Selim I. rules then the Mamlucks need to be unstable to achive it.

Code:
#(1485-1566) Fall of the Mamluk Empire -I-
event = {
	id = 219001
	trigger = {
		war = { country = TUR country = MAM }
                [color=yellow]neighbour = TUR[/color]
		NOT = { countrysize = 22 }
		NOT = { control = { province = 485 data = MAM } } #Aleppo
		NOT = { control = { province = 490 data = MAM } } #Syria
		NOT = { control = { province = 746 data = MAM } } #Egypt
               	[color=red]OR = {[/color]
                [color=yellow]someof = {
		    number = 3[/color]
			control = { province = 491 data = TUR } #Lebanon
			control = { province = 492 data = TUR } #Samaria
			control = { province = 493 data = TUR } #Judea
			control = { province = 744 data = TUR } #Alexandria
			control = { province = 745 data = TUR } #Delta
			control = { province = 747 data = TUR } #Nile
                        [color=yellow]control = { province = 746 data = TUR } #Egypt[/color]
		        }
                 [color=yellow]OR = {
                          monarch = 0139006 #Selim I #historical Sultan to conquer MAM
                          NOT = { stability = 0 }
                          }[/color]
	}
	random = no
	country = MAM
	name = "EVENTNAME219001" #Fall of the Mamluk Empire
	desc = "EVENTHIST219001"
	#-#The Ottoman Sultan Selim I was determined to eliminate all potential enemies in the east in order to be able to overrun Europe without fearing an attack from the other direction. Having defeated Safavid Persia, he turned to the Mamluk Empire. At that time, the Mamluk state already was in a state of anarchy and its armies hopelessly inferior to those of the Ottomans, and thus Selim's armies rushed through its defenses at an incredible speed. On August 24th the Syrian army led by the Sultan himself who got killed in that battle was destroyed near Aleppo, the city of Damaskus conquered on October 12th and the rest of Syria and Palestina quickly overrun. After wintering in Damaskus, Selim progressed to Egypt. On January 21st, the last remaining Mamluk army engaged for the final battle near Radania and was decisively defeated. This battle marked the end of the Mamluk Empire. Selim offered vassal status to the last Sultan Tumanbeg...

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1485 }
	offset = 1
	deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1566 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME219001A" #Tumanbeg refuses vassal status and is executed (End Game)
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 485 } #Aleppo
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 486 } #Nuyssaybin
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 488 } #Kirkuk
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 489 } #Iraq
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 490 } #Syria
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 491 } #Lebanon
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 492 } #Samaria
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 493 } #Judea
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 494 } #Sinai
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 495 } #Jordan
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 483 } #Adana
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 474 } #Sivas
		command = { type = independence which = ARA }
		command = { type = independence which = TRI }
		command = { type = trigger which = 219011 } #MAM: The Ottoman subjugation
		command = { type = trigger which = 301022 } #TUR: Annexation of the Mamluk Empire
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME219001B" #Tumanbeg accepts vassal status
		command = { type = vp value = -200 }
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 491 } #Lebanon
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 492 } #Samaria
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 493 } #Judea
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 494 } #Sinai
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 495 } #Jordan
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 483 } #Adana
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = TUR value = 474 } #Sivas
		command = { type = independence which = ARA }
		command = { type = independence which = TRI }
		command = { type = trigger which = 219012 } #MAM: The Ottoman vassalization
		command = { type = trigger which = 110000 } #ARA: Fall of the Mamluk Empire
		command = { type = trigger which = 301023 } #TUR: Submission of the Mamluk Sultan
	}
	action_c = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME219001C" #Continue to fight the Ottomans
		command = { type = stability value = -5 }
		command = { type = desertion which = -1 value = 5000 }