• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A quick look at Europe.
Europe-1.jpg

I start getting alliance offers immediately. First Bavaria asks me to join. Palatinate and Luxemburg are also in the alliance. I can’t see the sense in this so I decline. Soon after
Tyrol asks me to join their alliance. They have Styria, Strasburg, Wirtemberg and Hussites
in the alliance. I like this group because they are all located close to one another so they could theoretically help out in a war and I especially like the Hussites who have a large army at
their disposal. Problem with them is that they are in a war with Hungary and it shows no
sign of ending. Now my memory of the Hussites is limited. I know their general history
and what happened to their movement but I don’t remember the dates but I’m not going
to look them up. I do have the feeling they aren’t going to be around long enough to be
of help. Still I send gifts to all my new allies and improve relations for the coming war.
Oh and by the end of 1434 Tyrol annexes Strasburg.

In January 1434 I get a new leader. Yea he’s nothing to write home about but I need
anything that I can get to help my land forces.
Newleader2-1.jpg

Also in 1434 I have my first discovery, Quatar!

December 1435 and the Ottomans devour Banat. Later in 1438 they add Konya.

I’m going to need my new leader when revolts pop up in Corfu and Crete. I can only
transport 5,000 men at a time so I load up 5,000 Cavalry and send the to Corfu. They lose
half their force but win the battle. I shuttle them back to Veneto and load up another
5,000 Cavalry and I’ll be a monkey’s uncle but they win again. Not that I was worried.
revolts3-1.jpg

I don’t have any idea how this happened but nothing about vassals surprises me in
this game.
Vassal-1.jpg

Saddly in July 1436 this happened. No surprise but I thought they just might survive by some whimsical twist of the game. So Bohemia wins against the Hussites and has Austria as a vassal. Then a year later Austria cancels the vassalization and becomes Emperor and Vassalizes Bohemia. It’s nice how we came full circle isn’t it.
Austria1437-1.jpg

Okay enough already I’ve put down my revolts, the alliance I’m in is between vassalization of any thing that moves so I declare war! Tyrol, Wirtemberg and Bavaria join me against Mantua (my goal), Tuscany, Modena and Milan.

Okay so bear with me on this because I’m not going to waste time with photos and you will see why. I’ve got my 16,000 man army in Veneto and I’m sitting there watching to see what the enemy does. My allies are doing a fair imitation of their fearless leader and they hunker down waiting. The enemy meanwhile goes bonkers and starts marching anything and everything they have toward Tyrol. Soon they have 50,000 men siting there besieging the fort. So I waltz into Mantua and start a siege. My allies still don’t move an inch but at this time it isn’t necessary since the attrition in Tyrol is doing a very nice job of destroying the enemy. After a while I capture Mantua and sue for peace. I see that I can annex them so I give it a go. I fail the first time but succeed the second time and start marching south and besiege Modena.
Mantuafeb1439-1.jpg

As you can see Mantua is the lovely color of Venice and this is just about the very second I had a CTD!!!!!!!! Mother of all that’s deemed holy in the nether pit of hell why did that have to happen?

I didn’t have a save from after the annexation of Mantua so I loaded the autosave from January of that year. I’m still besieging Mantua and I can see I’m still about to capture it but there are a couple of minor, as in hardly worth mentioning things that change. First my allies decide that someone has just kicked them in their collective butts and they start marching toward Tyrol, which has just fallen to Milan. They kick Milan out of Tyrol and start sieging the fort. Okay that’s new and is just fine with me. Soon Mantua once again falls to my sturdy army and I pop open the peace offer window eager to absorb them once again as God intended into my empire and all I get is a 9% victory score???? What the bleeping hell happened between the first capture and the second? We’re only talking about a less than two month period and this happens!

This really hurts. No let me rephrase that, it doesn’t quite grasp how I feel. This sucks worst than a bee stuck up your butt.

Last edited:
Provence vassalage of Naples is normal, provence owns the historical rights of the area

The ways of a Paradox games are mysterious indeed, and sent to try us. :)

Perhaps Mantua is occupying Tyrol? :)

That's very odd. I had that happen to me some time back too. They had an army around there somewhere that I had to destroy first after I controlled all their provinces, however I suspect it may be a little buggy. May help account for some of the CTD (of which I have also had though thankfully not in my Scotland game.)

Nice work with Mantua anyway. And Tyrol is always nice to have on the allies side. Love that friendly attrition. :D

Formula51 said:
Hmm...that is odd. Surely mantua doesn't own some random province somewhere?

Or is it that they still have an army? Though I thought this doesn't matter...

Nope they have only one province and their army doesn’t matter in this situation. But see below for the answer to this riddle.

Toio said:
Provence vassalage of Naples is normal, provence owns the historical rights of the area

You are of course correct. I keep forgetting that Aragon wasn’t the only one involved with Naples.

stnylan said:
The ways of a Paradox games are mysterious indeed, and sent to try us.

There is another twist to this mystery. When I wrote this,

“First my allies decide that someone has just kicked them in their collective butts and they start marching toward Tyrol, which has just fallen to Milan.”

I made a serious mistake. I took something for granted and as we will see it screwed me over.:(

Enewald said:
Yet more mysterious are the events of Eu2 and FtG. [/QOYet more mysterious are the events of Eu2 and

I’ve got to admit I’m liking this event driven game.:cool:

almorvid said:
Perhaps Mantua is occupying Tyrol?

You sir are a genius. :cool: I made the mistake of thinking that since Milan got to Tyrol first they were the leaders in the siege. But in EU II and FTG it appears a better leader can steal the siege. In my ‘restart’ Tyrol fell to Mantua instead of Milan before I captured their fort. (It was neck and neck between our sieges and before the CTD I was first in capturing Mantua’s fort) So imagine my surprise when I started replaying and found Mantua was no longer at war with me because they had made peace with my alliance leader, Tyrol. I don’t remember seeing this peace agreement so I was taken by surprise when I found I could no longer attack Mantua. So I did what any Paradox player would do and took out my anger on another AI controlled country.:D

coz1 said:
Nice work with Mantua anyway. And Tyrol is always nice to have on the allies side. Love that friendly attrition.

Sadly seeing how poor the AI is with sieges makes me aware that what improvements have been made have not been enough. The AI in EU III is better without a doubt. As for my allies I can't complain because once they started moving they threw a hell of a lot of men into the war as you will see in the next post.

Aldriq said:
maybe keeping up with this game they were vassalised by someone?

I had that happen to me in another game. I was besieging Cyprus and in the middle of the war the Mamaluks vassalized them. Very strange.:wacko:

Joe

IIRC at the start of this scenario you should have about 35 warships and 5 transports. So the transport cap limit for your navy in EU2 is 35*1+5*2=45 unit of 1000 men.
This is not EU3 where you can use only transports for shipping your armies.:confused:

:eek: Seriously I'll try to load more than 5,000 men and see if this is true. It's been so long since I've played EU II that I don't actually remember but I thought it was still just transports for moving men.

Arghh, that CTD has to be infuriating. Presumably they captured a province from one of your allies along the way? I always hope to see the Hussites survive due to some quirk of the events. It never happens :(

Yep I think Mantua beat me to the punch and captured Tyrol. I'll get them next time.;) I wonder if anyone has ever seen the Hussites survive???

Joe

With my restart after the CTD I find that Mantua reached a peace agreement with Tyrol, my alliance leader so I’m SOL in my hope to absorb Mantua into Venice. So I decide to check with Milan and find I have a +12% score with them because I have captured their capital in Lombardia. Now this is one of those moments that separate the men from the boys. I could, if I wanted to, take the easy route and attack Emilia, with only a few thousand men defending it and besiege Milan’s last province but even if I take it I’ll be faced with the fact that Emilia will be separated by Lombardia and Romagna from the rest of my country. So I decide to roll the dice and attack across a river against a numerically superior army in a defensive position with my admittedly poor slider positions just because... Well I think I was still pissed off at the CTD and wanted someone to beat on.
attackingRomagna-1.jpg

Imagine my surprise when I won!
Romagnaresults-1.jpg

What’s that old saying? If you see a friend walking your way intent on doing you good run the other way. My allies are intent on helping me with my siege and there is nothing I can do about it.
Alliescoming-1.jpg

What’s really frightening is not only am I stuck with 54,000 besieging Romagna I also can’t assault because my land tech isn’t high enough! Then there is the joy if seeing another 33,000 Bavarians headed my way but fortunately a army from Milan of slightly under 6,000 attacked them and won!!! Now I just have to hope that the 26,000 in Wurttemberg don’t decide to help me.
Alliesarrive2-1.jpg

August 25 1440, Athens is swallowed whole by the Ottomans.

Finally Romagna falls and is annexed. Guess what’s the first thing I did after annexing them?
saveRomagna-1.jpg

My Bad Boy is 9.6/37 so I don’t see any reason to stop now. I march to Emilia and start a siege. If I can take it before Milan recaptures Lombardia and can get another province. Problem is Milan is turning out to be a giant slayer. I don’t think I want to try fighting them in a battle. I’ve just seen their 9,000 man army defeat a 35,000 Wirtemberg army and later a 31,000 Bavarian army. More bad news when I lose my military leader. His replacement is average at best.

I’m still at war with Milan and Tuscany and decide to cut Tuscany out of the war and they accept a status quo peace.

Then this happens.
Threat2-1.jpg

The papal States declares war and Siena joins the Pope. My allies join me but I don’t think they are going to be much use in this war. Suddenly my Bad Boy jumps to 13.5 and I have a two front war. Then to top everything off Provence joins Milan in our war. Why I don’t know but they did.

The Papal States is marching 12,000 men from Marche toward Romagna and I decide it’s time to simplify my life. I get a status quo peace with Milan and everyone in their alliance and turn my attention toward Romagna and not a moment too soon.
Romagna2-1-1-1.jpg

Victory in Romagna. My reinforcement arrived just in time.
victory2-1.jpg

The victory is followed by my attack into Marche. I defeat a couple of counterattacks and then the war settles down to the siege in Marche (actually I don’t have enough men to start the siege yet). So the Pope sits in Roma watching while he starts recruiting like mad. I start recruiting as fast as I can, hoping the Pope doesn’t attack before I’m ready.

It’s August 1441 and I get a Good Government Policies event and gain +1 stability, +200 Infrastructure and trade investment.

Finally in April 1442 I get enough men in Marche for the siege to start. The Pope has 31,000 men sitting in Roma thankfully doing nothing. I’m guessing that the AI won’t do anything until I capture Marche.

June 1442 and Naples becomes a vassal of Aragon.

In September 1442 I capture Marche and sit there watching the Pope who’s watching me. We also have the first naval battle of the game which I win. Hell they only had three ships.

To my surprise the first attack comes from Siena. They send 11,000 men to their doom.

I get a message saying that I’m now a Viscount. Wow.

Finally in October 1442 the Papal States marches toward Marche and the battle begins.
wewin2-1.jpg

I repay the compliment and counter attack into Roma where I lose the battle. This is turning into a stalemate and I decide to get what I can. Siena who are the leaders of their alliance agrees to give me 66 ducats for peace.

Peace at last... A snap shot of my economy and I was able to move a slider toward Free subjects.
lastslider-1-1.jpg

My relations, which use to be a nice shade of green, with the rest of Europe have taken a nose dive just because I declared war on one measly country?
real-1.jpg

Last edited:
And what a measly country it was, hardly even worthwhile calling a country. But those neighbours of yours, they just aren't too friendly to little old Venice are they? You must really be liking those nice leaders you're getting now. Sforza is quite fantastic. I also wholeheartedly commend your wise and thoughtful strategy of saving after the annexation ;)

Might I suggest sitting still for a while? Building your economy and what not?

This is not EU3 where you can use only transports for shipping your armies.:confused:

I just tested it and you are correct.:cool: Thanks for telling me otherwise I would have gone through the entire game without knowing that transports aren't the only ship capable of moving men. I have the feeling it won't be the last time I screw up between EU II and EU III rules.:)

Joe

I just tested it and you are correct.:cool: Thanks for telling me otherwise I would have gone through the entire game without knowing that transports aren't the only ship capable of moving men. I have the feeling it won't be the last time I screw up between EU II and EU III rules.:)

Joe

You're welcome. I think it's quite common to be confused by game rules with so many beautiful PI strategy games to play with! ;)

About your AAR: you're doing really well with Venice. My various attemps have always been frustrating :eek:o, even many years ahead than your actual date.