• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Qorten

Crazy Cat Person. Meow!
121 Badges
Feb 10, 2007
  • Cities in Motion
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Majesty 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Paradox Order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Gameplay AAR for now without screenies played with AGCEEP and started in the 1419 scenario. First of all I want to say I have little experience with EU2 and no experience with AGCEEP (though I did play EU1 for years). You are welcome to advise me!

Let's see the starting situation of Brandenburg first. We begin with king Friedrich I. HE has a diplomacy rating of 9, administrative 5 and military rating is 6. We have 150 ducats and our stability is at 3. Brandenburg possesses two provinces: Brandenburg proper and Magdeburg. We have a manpower pool of 10k and two armies: the Brandenburg Army lead by the king (6k infantry and 5k cavalry) and the Fränkische Garde (4k infantry and 1k cavalry). We have an alliance with Pomerania and Saxony.

The first thing I do is move one step towards innovation. The starting slider was at -1 so we are now at 0. We sign a Royal Marriage with Saxony and promote the Bailiff in Magdeburg to Tax collector.
In August 1419 Brandenburg reaches Early Renaissance in trade tech and we send 4 merchants to Mecklenburg to try our luck in trade. In Bohemia the Hussite wars erupt, we go with Express Hostility but refrain from declaring war on the Hussites. A Royal Marriage is arranged with Pomerania and Denmark asks and gets Military Access through our lands, but so far (I stopped in 1426) they have not used it.
The merchants we sent to Mecklenburg arrive in November 1419 and we gain 2 merchants there, earning approximately 2,5 ducats a month. The Acquisition of Neumark event fires for Brandenburg and we buy the Neumark (Küstrin) from the Teutonic Order for 80 ducats and change our monthly income and military upkeep to avoid having to take a loan.

We now enter the twenties. In June 1420 Brandenburg enters a Royal Marriage with Meissen, which later annexes Saxony and in 1425 changes from Meissen to Saxony. We reach Late Medieval in Naval Tech in January 1422. Not that that is very important to us, as we have no coastline (yet)!
Our merchants aren't exactly top of the line apparently, we lose the two we had in Mecklenburg in April 1422, gain 1 back a few months later and then lose him again. After that, it is now March 1423, I decide I'll stop trading for now.

Meanwhile I decided I'd put my diplo-9-king Friedrich I to good use and send Personal Gifts to Pomerania. Our inital relationship of 155 goes first to 156 (wow, +1!!!) and after a second Gift goes straight to 200. Bogislaw IX of Pomerania accepts vassalization in October 1423.

After about 6 years Brandenburg recovers enough financially to promote the Bailiff of Küstrin to Tax collector in Janaury 1426.

When we reach April 1426 I decide to quit for tonight and see what happened in Europe.
The Hundred Year's War rages off and for now on. England conquered Picardie, Caux and Normandie in addition to Gasogne and Calais but France is sieging all those provinces at the moment. Burgundy recently conquered Hainaut from Brabant and is now 4 provinces big. Poland became a vassal of Lithuania, Scotland was vassalized by England. The Teutonic Order annexed Mazovia in 1419 already. Venice conquered the Adriatic coast provinces from Hungary.

That's it for now. Maybe I'll take screenies during the next session I play!

Last edited:
Please take screenies! :D

Get into an alliance with Poland. It's always worked before. I guess you could try and build a coalition between northern German states, but it is hard and takes time. Poland gives Brandenburg the manpower immediately.

Looks like the buy/sell province thing works. Another new change, perhaps? Good catch. I did not know that was even possible. :eek:

Nice start Qorten. Keep it up! I love a good Brandenburg to Prussia AAR! :)

I must confess that I tried the FtG demo and didn’t much care for it. I think the years I’ve been saturated with EU3 have ruined any kind of return to that format. I miss the events though :( But since I’ve come on these forums I fell into many of the old EU II AARs and I have a feeling I’m going to like FtG AARs as well. With that, I’ll be sure to follow this one although I'm not sure how helpful I'll be. :)

I think you're on the right track. You have a good king, use him and protect yourself politically. I think you should bide your time and wait for poland to be weak and hit them hard. just my $.02

DiplomacyApril1426.jpg

Diplomatic Situation of Brandenburg in April 1426.

SlidersApril1426.jpg

Slider Situation in Brandenburg in April 1426.

BrandenburgArmyApril1426.jpg

Brandenburg Army in April 1426.

PoliticalSituationApril1426.jpg

Political Situation in Europe in April 1426.

Lithuania vassalized Poland somewhere in 1426 as I find out when I want to arrange a Royal Marriage with Poland. Instead Brandenburg signs a Royal Marriage with Lithuania in September 1426.
We reach High Renaissance in Trade Technology in August 1427 and can now erect Trading Posts, but the era of Brandenburgian colonialism is very far into the future. About a year later we reach another technological breakthrough and cam now erect Level 2 Fortressess, once we can save enough ducats.

LandTechAdvanceMay1428.jpg

Late Medieval in Land Military Technology in May 1428.

In 1428 and 1429 we sign Trade Agreements with Saxony and our vassal Pomerania and try our luck in trade again, first in Mecklenburg. During 1429 the Center of trade in Mecklenburg disappears and gets replaced by the Sjaelland CoT (the Kalmar Union started fighting a coalition of Hamburg, Bremen and Mecklenburg prior to this event). We quickly get 5 merchants in Sjaelland, but our trade adventure, while lasting, doesn't keep up it's initial success.
Meanwhile we reach High Renaissance in Infrastructure Technology and we are now able to build Fine Arts Academies (and another fifty years waiting until we have the funds to build one! :mad:)

InfraTechAdvanceMarketFlucApril1429.jpg

Market Fluctuations and Technology Advance in Infrastructure technology in April 1429.

By February 1431 our number of merchants in Sjaelland remains stable at 2 merchants. Then the 'Unhappiness amongst Artisans'-event fires and I decide to go for 'Abolish a Tax'. This moves the Serfdom slider 1 step towards Free Subjects and removes 25 ducats from our treasury.

UnhappinessamongArtisansFebruary143.jpg

Unhappiness amongst Artisans. Ungrateful pigs! I'm way too lenient.:)
After the former ruler of Lithuania dies the Polish vasalization ends and we are able to arrange a Royal Marriage with Poland in November 1432. Better not to stir up trouble with someone we can't take on yet.
Another trade related event fires in August 1433. We go with 'Deny New Tariff' in 'Foreign Trade Compition Rises'. This moves a slider 1 step towards Free Trade.

ForeignTrCompRisesAugust1433.jpg

Foreign Trade Competition Rises.

The war between Hamburg, Mecklenburg and Bremen on one side and the Kalmar Union plus stettin on the other side draws to a close in 1434. First Hamburg gets a white peace, then Mecklenburg is vassalized by Sweden and a few moths later Bremen is vassalized by Denmark. Meanwhile elsewhere in Europe Burgundy has annexed a big Brabant and gets later vassalized by France in September 1435. In July 1456 the Hussites are finally defeated and Bohemia becomes whole again.

Friedrich I with his diplomatic mind decides at this point that this game becomes way too dull without some fightin' fun and we decide to insult Hanover, a neighbour of ours, about three times until relations drop under zero. While this goes on Pomerania accepts our annexation proposal. Brandenburg is now a 4-province state!

PomeraniaAnnexationMarch1437.jpg

Pomeranian Annexation, March 1437.

After the annexation we prepare for the upcoming war with Hanover and it's ally Cleves by joining an alliance of Guelders, Berg and Friesland. In April 1437 Brandenburg finally declares war on Hanover, without any reason, other then boredom.

MilitaryAllianceGueldersApril1437.jpg

Military Alliance signed as preparation for the war against Hanover and Cleves, April 1437.

Last edited:
Interesting.
Just one question: will you not be forced to release Pomerania as a vassal soon?
Because I know there are events like this for the IA, in order to prevent big blobs in the HRE.

Subscribes!! :D

Interesting.
Just one question: will you not be forced to release Pomerania as a vassal soon?
Because I know there are events like this for the IA, in order to prevent big blobs in the HRE.

I don't know if that will happen. I never played AGCEEP before so I can't say. So far it hasn't happened (I played until 1441, annexed Pomerania in 1437).

@Davisx3m: Thanks!

@Anyone: How to take .jpg-screenies that aren't so grained and degraded quality?

I don't know if that will happen. I never played AGCEEP before so I can't say. So far it hasn't happened (I played until 1441, annexed Pomerania in 1437).

Ok, we'll see.
I hope for you it won't happen.
By the way you should try to become emperor!

@Anyone: How to take .jpg-screenies that aren't so grained and degraded quality?

Err...no idea :eek:o

Some good work there, Qorten. Nice move getting in with some of your neighbors. If Poland doesn't come calling as a friend, the next best thing is a coalition. Just hope that coalition doesn't go to war with Poland. Early on, they can be a real pain as an enemy, especially if allied with Sweden.

Interesting.

As for the HRE issues, I admit, I do not know if AGCEEP does that. I know MM does for EUIII, but you may be alright as long as you don't go on an annexation spree. Slow and steady, building vassals. That's the way to grow as Brandenburg. By the 16th century, you'll be plenty big enough to tussle with anyone. ;) Just watch the BB.

As for the HRE issues, I admit, I do not know if AGCEEP does that. I know MM does for EUIII, but you may be alright as long as you don't go on an annexation spree. Slow and steady, building vassals. That's the way to grow as Brandenburg. By the 16th century, you'll be plenty big enough to tussle with anyone. ;) Just watch the BB.

Yup that's the way to go, slow and careful expansion.
Boring sometimes, but with limited Manpower and ressources, quite rational.

At the end of April 1437 Brandenburg and allies declare war on Hanover and it's ally Cleves. Being two very small and less populous states they are rather quickly overrun and their armies deposed of. The siege of the city of Hannover ends in February 1438 and Hanover is annexed into Brandenburg. Cleves gets annexed by it's neighbor Berg. Friedrich apparently got hurt during the siege because we lose him as commander.
Meanwhile the Hungarian king and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire dies and the Habsburg archduke Albrecht V becomes the new one.

NewEmperorSuccSiegeHannoverFebruary.jpg

The siege of Hannover and a new Emperor gets elected.

AnnexationHanoverFebruary1438.jpg

The annexation of Hanover, February 1438.​

Right after the war Scotland joins the Guelders-Brandenburg-Berg-alliance. Our badboy has risen quite sharply due to the diplomatic annexation of Pomerania and the rather brutal conquest of Hanover.

BBFebruary1438.jpg

Badboy in February 1438.​

Four months later in full summer a revolt breaks out in Hannover, exactly when the Teutonic Order declares war on us, backed by the Livonian Order and Novgorod.

TeutonicOrderDoWsJuly1438.jpg

The Teutonic Order declares war on Brandenburg, July 1438.​

Another month later Saxony joins the fun, inviting their ally Hesse. I'm quite happy now that I have Guelders and Berg as allies.

SaxonyDoWsAugust1438.jpg

Saxony declares war on Brandenburg, August 1438.​

The Teutons invade Hinterpommern from Danzig during the autumn and the troops we got from our Pomeranian annexation fight them and lose, though not with big numbers. They retreat back to Küstrin. During the winter a new army is raised by volunteers in Magdeburg (Event 'Enthusiasm for the Army') and after our new commander Johann der Alchymist has put down the Hannover revolt he returns east and joins up with the two other forces in Küstrin. Guelders and Berg start campaigning in Hesse while the main Saxon army sieges Hannover.

SituationJanuary1439.jpg

Military situation in January 1439.​

Der Alchymist arrives in Hinterpommern in Feruary. He gloriously defeats the Teuton army sieging the main city and drives them back to Danzig. During the late winter they also get attacked by the Kalmar Union. They are most happy to accept a white peace, as am I. I can see the Livonian reinforcements and a second Teuton army already coming.

WPTeutonicOrderFebruary1439.jpg

White peace with the Teutonic Order, February 1439.​

With the Teuton threat dealt with der Alchymist turns his army back west to hannover, which is still being sieged. The Saxon army there is firmly defeated and in May 1439 he invades Anhalt. It takes 10 months to take the city and move to Sachsen. Hesse is meanwhile still being ravaged by armies from Berg and Guelders.

SuccSiegeAnhaltMarch1440.jpg

The siege of Anhalt, March 1440.​

The war with Hesse and Saxony ends when alliance leader Guelders takes control of Hesse and they become a vassal of Guelders. Johann der Alchymist died during the campaign in Sachsen, king Friedrich I dies also during the wars.

FriedrichIISeptember1440.jpg

King Friedrich II, September 1440.​

Economically two new Bailiffs get promoted to Tax Collectors in Hinterpommern and Hannover. We moved a slider 1 step towards free subjects.

FreeSubjectsMarch1439.jpg

Move towards Free Subjects, March 1439.

BBJune1441.jpg

Badboy, June 1441.​

That's too bad, though perhaps it is best you got out of the war without gains. It let the BB go down a bit. ;)

I might have left the rebels for Saxony to deal with while I fought the TO, et al. but it worked out for you. And firmly handled, indeed! Well done.

If anything, that war should put your neighbors on notice. You are not to be taken lightly, as clearly Saxony did. ;)

I was actually trying to get another update in on Saturday but I went out late in the afternoon and didn't have time to continue my campaign during the evening as I went out with friends.

@coz1: Yes, leaving the rebels to Hanover to deal with might have been a good idea. 't was the first place the Saxons went so... So far I'm really liking this game. Reminds me of the EU1 days. I played EU1 unpatched from 2000 to 2006 without a big gap. Really sad I only discovered this place late 2006.

@matt12th: Thanks. Apparently people get quite mad really fast, no matter if you're over your badboy limit or not indeed. That's a difference with EU3.

@BananaSplit: Thanks for clearing the Germany question out. We'll see if we get there.

The first half of the 1440's sees two revolts in Brandenburg. The first is due to the burghers of Berlin-Cölln who don't want to give up city rights and priviliges without a battle. This event earns us a free Level 2 fortress in Brandenburg and some slider changes (the +2 centralization is especially good).

UnrestinBerlin-CllnDecember1441.jpg

Unrest in Berlin-Cölln, December 1441.​

The second uproar is caused because we hang a treacherous noble and confiscate his lands instead of merely cutting his head of. You can't be too strict with these nobles.

TreacherousnoblearrestedApril1443.jpg

Treacherous noble arrested, April 1443.​

Later that summer we learn that the Danish expand their influence some more in the northern HRE by vassalizing Stettin. Previously they had vassalized and annexed Mecklenburg. Meanwhile the Fortress in Magdeburg gets upgraded to Level 2.

StettinvassalsofDenmarkJune1443.jpg

Stettin became vassals of Denmark, June 1443.​

Diplomatically nothing really changes over the years. We renew our royal marriag with Poland and arrange new royal marriages with our alliance members Guelders, Friesland and Berg. I raise relations with Berg to the maximum and ask them if they would be my vassals three times and they refuse three times.
People in Berlin-Cölln have, by May 1446, become a bit restless and want to go lynch some Jews but I disagree with such a move. After all they are quite a provider of income.

ExpulsionJewsMay1446.jpg

Pogrom in Berlin-Cölln avoided, May 1446.​

In June 1447 the Pope agrees to give the Elector the right to nominate bishops in his lands, the so called Concordat of 1447.

Concordat1447June1447.jpg

Concordat of 1447, June 1447.​

The people of Berlin-Cölln have now become quite used to the presence of the Electoral authority in their city and Friedrich II decided the time is right to move the capital to the city.

CapitalBrandenburgJanuary1451.jpg

The capital switch to Berlin-Cölln, January 1451.​

Sometime before the switch we can move a slider again and I chose to move 1 step towards Quality. We are after all on our way to hopefully become Prussia so we better prepare! :)

SlidertoQualityApril1450.jpg

Slider move to Quality, April 1450.​

The next few years go by quite uneventfully. We gain a level in Land and Naval Technology. We now have level 3 in Land and level 2 in naval. We enlarge our army a bit to be equal with Berg's army (which we were trying to vassalize, but failed) and hang another treacherous noble in Hannover.

Things become interesting again in 1455 when Berg releases Cleves as a vassal. A year later Guelders attacks Cleves and we answer Guelders call to arms.

BergreleasesClevesSeptember1455.jpg
GueldersDoWsClevesApril1456.jpg

Cleves released as vassal and subsequently attacked.​

This opens the door for Burgundy to join the fun and they declare war on Guelders. Burgundy's ally France joins as well. Against better judgement I decide to honour the call to arms.

BurgundyDoWsGueldersOctober1456.jpg

Burgundy declares war on Guelders, October 1456.​

That was an amazing series of event helping you move toward centralization.:cool: So you're now at war with Burgundy and France? This should be fun.;)

Joe

A nice and hard war ahead.
It's going to be interesting.

Indeed, centralizing quickly and getting things in line for the modern Prussian state. This will be a nice training ground against the big boys of Western Europe. Happy hunting. ;)