• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While the Reformation hits Brandenburg and the rest of Europe normal stuff keeps happening too of course. I get an uppity noble whom I fine and exile. The other options involve a slider push away from aristocracy, which I don't really want.

1520May16Trecherousnoblearrested.jpg

Treacherous noble, May 1520. (I kept the wrong picture)​

In March 1522 Poland diplo-annexes a two-province Bohemia. Exactly a year later Saxony agree to become vassals of Austria. My neighbours strenghten themselves, but I have and will continue to do the same.

1522April5PolandannexedBohemia.jpg
1523April11SaxonybecamevassalsofAus.jpg

Bohemia and Saxony become peons in the game of the big players, March 1522-523.​

The following years I finish a Fine Arts Academy in my capital and I move a step towards Quality. In December 1525 Pomerania accepts annexation at the second attempt.

1525December21Pomeraniaacceptsannex.jpg

Pomerania accepts annexation into Brandenburg, December 1525.​

Good things keep happening as the years go by. 1526 proves to be an 'Exceptional Year' for Brandenburg. I go for the money and the inflation reduction choice. The bailiff is upgraded to tax collector in Vorpommern (former Pomerania) and in January 1528 I reach Land Tech Level 12. Almost two years later our Naval Tech reaches Level 3.

1526April18ExceptionalYear.jpg

Exceptional Year, April 1526.​

In February 1531 my alliance with Lithuania and Hesse expires. I immediately get an invitation from Poland which I reject. By then Hesse has already found another alliance to join and Lithuania offers me an alliance which I accept.
Another slider move to Quality in October 1534 and my leaders now have +1 Fire!
In July 1535, two months after Brandenburg changed state religion to Protestant Joachim I Nestor dies and my new monarch is Joachim II Hektor. He's obviously another very mediocre figure, but I'll manage.

1535July30NewMonarch.jpg

Joachim II Hektor, July 1535.​

Nothing much happens in first years of his reign. It takes until 1540 for an interesting event to appear: 'New Tax'. I went with 'Introduce new tax' and quickly put down the revolts in Küstrin and Oldenburg that happened as a result of my choice. In 1541 our Naval Tech reaches Level 4 and I could no build transport ships, should I want to.

1540January3NewTax.jpg

New Tax, January 1540.​

Mmmh quite boring years, but it's sometimes necessary.

In February 1531 my alliance with Lithuania and Hesse expires. I immediately get an invitation from Poland which I reject. By then Hesse has already found another alliance to join and Lithuania offers me an alliance which I accept.

So are you going to use the alliance with Lithuania and take Poland apart?
Just a possibility to think about.;)'

Joe

Sorry for the wait. I got a bit distracted by my continuing search for another, more fullfilling job and Mass Effect 2 (which I finished yesterday night).

So, where am I again? Oh, right nothing exciting happened lately except a good run of events and some people wondering if it would leave me complacent and some going on about how good an idea it would be to tear apart Poland with help from my good friends in Lithuania.

I can make all of you happy now, as I have definitely not become complacent, showing it by declaring war on the evil Polish. This basically means that Kazimieras the Fourth of Lithuania actually joined in a war against himself thanks to the game mechanics that come with old EU2 and historical rulers. Not that I care of course. If not for these mechanics, I'd still be cowering in my little three province margraviate, afraid to do anything that might anger the huge and terrible Polish-Lithuanian behemoth.

Alright, I am, euh, getting distracted. Back completely on-topic.
The last update ended around 1541. The following years are as quiet as the previuos ones, except with no events of any kind whatsoever. In December 1544 I decide to take a Royal Marriage with Sweden. Meanwhile taking a look at the relations map I notice I'm doing way better then say, Storey, for example. Being a member of the small protestant famil helps I guess. Less people to appease after you declared another war.

1544December17RelationsOverview.jpg

Relations Overview, December 1544.​

Three months later Brandenburg reaches Trade Tech Level 3 and Brandenburgian merchant could now theoretically gain monopolies. Practically this is still a very long way in the future.
Lithuania renewes our alliance in May 1545 and in December of that year I get another slider push. Once more Brandenburg goes for Centralization. It's been a while since I've done that.

1545February3TradeTechLevel3Monopol.jpg
1545December10Sliders.jpg

Trade Tech advance and Slider settings after the last slider push, December 1545.​

Almost another year later I start recruiting more troops as I see that Poland has gotten itself into a war with the mighty Ottoman Empire. The next month Bavaria goes Protestant. Welcome to the flock, Bavaria. Another three moths later, in February 1547 I declare war on Poland. All our allies join except Denmark on Poland's side.

1547February5DoWPoland.jpg

Declaration of War against Poland, February 1547.
1547February8SituationStartWar.jpg

Situation of the war in February 1547.​

Poland is doomed, but in the end it won't matter that much with the Union of Lublin. :D

Meanwhile taking a look at the relations map I notice I'm doing way better then say, Storey, for example.

Hey anybody and everybody does way better than me! :D Looks like you can round out your country very nicely with a victory over Poland by taking Bohemia and Poznan.

Joe

The battle in Poznan is ealily won and the Polish retreat to Wielkopolska, which is owned by Lithuania. The siege of Bohemia has started and I split my army there in two to start sieging Moravia as well. Meanwhile the army of Friesland invades Brandenburg and starts sieging Oldenburg.

In April 1547 Brandenburg advances in Infrastructure Tech and I can now upgrade Legal Counsels to Chief Judges.

1547April5InfraTechLevel4ChiefJudge.jpg

Infrastructure Technology advance. Brandenburg can now upgrade Legal Counsels to Chief Judges, April 1547.​

In May an Ottoman army marches into Moravia and takes over my siege. They start an assault right away and take the province. A small Polsih army has taken to looting in Silesia but they don't have enough men yet to start a siege. the Polish seem to focus somewhat on Lithuania, which is actually a good move from them, as Lithuania has much lower military technology. My allies praxctically lose every fight except if they greatly outnumber the enemy.

1547May28SituationWar.jpg

Situation of the war in May 1547.​

During the summer the Polish move more men into Silesia and start dieging it. They even assault the fort once but luckily fail. They also try to siege back Moravia, which is still in the hands of the Ottomans.

In October I get the 'Death and Taxes'-event in Küstrin and I go for the +2 tax increase and the accompanying revolt.

1547October14DeathandTaxes.jpg

Death and taxes, Küstrin, October 1547.​

In December the siege in Poznan proves successful. At the start of the spring of 1548 the other siege in Bohemia also fruitions. I order the Poznan army to take care of the rebels in Küstrin and then march them off to Oldenburg to take care of the Friesland army still sieging there.

1547December18SiegeSuccessfulPoznan.jpg
1548March7SiegeSuccessfulBohemia.jpg

Sieges successful in Poznan and Bohemia, December 1547-March 1548.​

By August the war between the Polish and Ottomans is over, the Polish have to pay war reparations but the Ottomans did not win enough from them to ask for provinces. This means I can start sieging Moravia again. The Polsih have meanwhile taken control of Wielkopolska and the Prussian have conquered Danzig. This is a very dangerous situation for me as Lithuania is alliance leader. I want to get something out of this war but if they keep losing territory I'll get nothing. To speed things up I order new recruits in brandenburg. I have an army sieging Friesland, another one sieging Moravia. The Polish have an army marching against me in Moravia and are still sieging Silesia.

1548August12SituationWar.jpg

Situation of the war in August 1548.​

My army in Moravia withstands the Polish army and in November the province is mine. The following moth the combined armies from Moravia and the new recruits from Brandenburg defeat the Polish in Silesia.

1548November4SiegeSuccessfulMoravia.jpg

Siege successful Moravia, November 1548.​

During the winter of 1548-49 the Prussians start sieging Lithuania itself. If they take the province I guess it's over and out as the Lithuanians will most probably back out then. I can only hope that my siege in Friesland is successful sooner and gives me enough leverage to ask at least one and hopfully two of the three provinces I want.

My prayers are heard and in February 1549 the siege in Friesland is completed. The Polish accept to cede Poznan and Bohemia and peaace is restored in Brandenburg.

1549February4SiegeSuccessfulFriesen.jpg

1549February4Peace.jpg

Peace with the Polish Alliance, February 1549.​

In the following months Naval Technology progresses to level 5 and Land Technology advances to level 13. Both give no buni, but level 14 gives the next CRT bonus IIRC.

You got Pozen and Böhmen?
Anything else?

Nope, that's it. Just Posen and Böhmen. I like to keep Moravia back so I can attack the Polish again without a stab hit, as Moravia still is a core of mine.

EDIT/ Oh, and I think I'm going to drop the Lithuanians as allies. They are becoming a liability instead of an asset due to their low tech.

Congrats for your victory, don't know about Posen but IIRC Böhmen is a pretty rich province.

Oh, and I think I'm going to drop the Lithuanians as allies. They are becoming a liability instead of an asset due to their low tech.

I semi-fondly remember the rush(es) to get provinces before a weaker alliance leader is knocked out of the war and concludes an unfavorable peace. Glad you got what you wanted out of this war despite the Lithuanian failures. :)

Congrats for your victory, don't know about Posen but IIRC Böhmen is a pretty rich province.

Posen is one of my richer provinces as well. Quite large city producing a well priced good (clothing).

As far as I can remember you will lose those Bohemian cores, but I'm not positive. Great job growing and keeping BB low.

Thanks. Any idea when the cores would vanish if they do?

I semi-fondly remember the rush(es) to get provinces before a weaker alliance leader is knocked out of the war and concludes an unfavorable peace. Glad you got what you wanted out of this war despite the Lithuanian failures. :)

Yup, it was very close though. The war continued after I got out and a week or so after I signed the peace Lithuania's capital fell.