• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Once you're finished with this, do a La Plata AAR. In memory of their suicidaly brave troops leading many amphibious assaults.

+1.

Thoe offensive in the Balkans is making good progress, I just hope that the weather won't have too much impact on it.

*salutes La Plata for their bravery* May those who died in the attack against Finland eat the finest Latin American tacos and burritos in Heaven!

SovietAmerica, your making me hungry. lol. Looks like the joint alied staff want to have all the fun in this butfuck of a war. Germany needs to do something with France soon, if they could manage to crush the western front, then the imperialists could stom all of asia with their Iron heal!

Onwards brave La Plata! It's just a shame the AI can't cooperate with you, these landings of theirs could be devastating if properly backed up by US reinforcements. If Frunze truly does herald the long-awaited final collapse of Russia then the end of the war can't be far away barring any Mitteleuropan desperation tactics, with Russia crippled Germany's eastern frontier shouls be wide open.

I feel like I have to nitpick this, but if they're from La Plata they'd be eating steaks, steaks and more steaks. :D

Bravo to La Plata!

Nah, I prefer China to have its RL borders, with a little extra when the war is over. I will probably give China Mongolia, Taiwan, and possibly Tannu Tuva after the war.

Nay, you must liberate Tannu Tuva! :D

@Onni_Manni: No. Mitteleuropa's airforces have proven time and time again that they own the European skies. Using my airforce, and particularly my bombers is too risky. I am also going to try and preserve my fighters for later operations.

@Ivir Baggins: Neat idea, but no. Instead I have another idea for my next AAR project, one that I think people are really going to like....

@CylonAndrew: I Think you are grossly overestimating their chances. Barring some catastrophe, there is no way they could push into France.

@Zhuge Liang: You are largely correct. The loss of 1.2 million soldiers due to Frunze is a huge blow to the Russians, but they still have a lot of fight still left in them. Expect the Russians to fight tenaciously to defend their Motherland, but more and more it will be a losing battle.

@ColossusCrusher: Mmmmm, gold old Argentine beef.:D

@everyone: thanks for the comments!

At sea, German aircraft carriers launch an air attack against US navy anti-submarine ships currently docked at Bordeaux. although the Germans do cause some damage to the city and its port facilities, they fail to cause any casualties to the American fleet.
bordeauxraid.png

In response, the USAF is thrown into battle, to hunt down and destroy the German aircraft carriers as they try to flee back to their ports. American A-4 skyhawks pounce on the German fleet, firing rockets, bombs, and long range guided missiles at the German aircraft carriers. The American attacks devastate the German fleet, with approximately 5 or 6 German carriers being sent to the bottom by the American bombers, a great loss that the Germans will be unable to recover from.
harassmentattacks.png

In retaliation, huge forces of Russian and German fighters ambush American aircraft as they are flying over Cholet Airbase. American F-100's are sent into the skies in response, and a great airbattle unfolds over the region. In a hail of cannon fire and air-to-air missiles, huge numbers of enemy aircraft are shot down for only moderate American casualties.
choletairbattles.png

To the east, American forces begin to march into the Hungarian homeland itself. Starting at Debrecen, American tanks and mechanized infantry pound into the Hungarian lines, shredding the ill equipped infantry divisions of Hungary's battered army. Debrecen soon falls, opening up the path into the rest of the country.
battleofdebrecen.png

Further east, American forces have taken control of Besserabia. In response, the Russians are beginning to counterattack. Here, in Beltsy, over 300,000 Russian and Polish troops hit the American lines, forcing the American troops to withdraw south to a more defensible position.
besserabiacounterattack.png

Budapest, the capital of Hungary and one of the last strongholds still in their control, now comes under siege by American forces led by General MacArthur. In a battle that lasts approximately 4 days, American units fight house by house to clear the heavily guarded city of its defenders. Eventually, American units are able to take control of the city, with Hungarian remnant forces fleeing north into Slovakia.
siegeofbudapest.png

Hungary now makes its last stand at the city of Bratislava, with the Hungarians throwing everything they have left to hold their positions. However, it is a lost cause, with many Hungarian units now surrendering to American forces and the remaining Hungarian troops low on critical supplies and manpower. Bratislava soon falls to American tanks a short time later.
siegeofbratislava.png

On September 22nd, 1960, the Hapsburg emperor of Hungary, Otto the 1st, (who had been allowed by the Germans to remain emperor of Hungary after the 2nd world war), is captured by American forces in Bratislava. On that same day, Otto and the rest of the Hungarian government surrender their country completely and unconditionally to the Allied Forces. The defeat of Hungary is a great victory, with their large army now gone and American troops at the gates, the Germans will now have to spread their forces thin to try and cover their southern flank.
hungarysurrenders.png

Allied forces in Italy now begin to test Germany's weakening defenses in the region, starting at Milan. Massive allied units attack the city, defended by a much smaller garrison than it used to. Unfortunately, logistical problems lead to this attack turning into a failure, with allied units falling back. (its kinda annoying, basically what starts happening is that one by one, allied troops start breaking off the attack, even though I am ordering them to keep attacking. Its stupid and very frustrating, and I think it is because of the AI wanting to have their units stop attacking at a certain point. Argh!!!!)
siegeofmilan.png

In France however, things are becoming much more positive. Testing German defenses, a very substantial Allied force, led by a Brazilian army General, attacks German defenses at Chaumont. To their surprise, German defenses begin to collapse in the region. Sensing an opportunity, Allied commanders press forwards succeeding in driving the Germans out of Chaumont. At long last, it seems that the tide on the western front is beginning to turn. Could the end of the war now finally be in sight?
2ndchaumont.png

Excellent, Mittleeuropa is dying! Also, I am starting to wonder how you will redraw Europe. I am kind of wanting you to release Russia as Soviet Russia, just for laughs; they can be Social Democratic.

Ah it seems that the tide has turned.
Budapest is the first of the important Mitteleuropean capital cities to be liberated, and Wien is not that far away.

I think the reason why the Hungarians collapsed so suddenly is because the battles used up all their MP. As for the Germans, even with your mods the AI isn't made for a three front war, and the Germans probably started redeploying forces from France already.

@SovietAmerika: Sorry, no Soviet Union in this AAR.

@trekaddict: Agreed, but Germany's army is still strong. Plus, Germany still possesses the ultimate trump card...

@everybody: thanks for the comments!

AuthAAR's note: Well, I have played up to the end of the campaign. Things get.....messy later. Anyway, I am going to try to wrap up this AAR during the week.

Also, don't forget to vote for this AAR in the AARland choice awards. We have won the HOI2 gameplay category twice now, lets make it three!

The Germans fire a barrage of ICBM's at the French capital of Paris. Heavy damage is reported throughout the city due to this attack.
germanicbmsparis.png

Allied troops launch another attack in Italy, this time aimed at Turin. Once again however, the Germans are able to hold off this attack.
battleofturin2.png

With Chaumont in French hands, allied forces press forward into the disputed region of Alsace-Lorraine. Unfortunately, the German defenses in the region are still strong, and this attack has to be aborted.
battleforlorraine.png

Meanwhile, allied troops march into far-western Kazakhstan, brushing aside all enemy resistance.
westkazakhoffensive.png

Further east, allied troops lay siege to the region of Bijsk, an obstacle that has been holding up the advance in the area for a long time due to its extensive mountain ranges. The Russians fight very hard to retain control, but are finally forced to retreat to the northwest.
battleofbijsk.png

Back in Europe, the main American objective of forcing the Germans to stretch out their defenses by having to cover their southeastern flank has turned into a huge success. Massive German reinforcements have arrived to cover the region from further American attack. In the process however, the Germans have greatly weakened their western and southern fronts.
germandefenses.png

Further east, the Platinean army launches another of its daring amphibious assaults. This time, the Platineans land 20,000 troops in the Crimean peninsula, taking Sevastopol and seizing control of the entire region.
ballsyplatineans.png

Back in the west, allied units, spearheaded by Canadian forces, take advantage of the weakening German positions and launch another attack on Mulhouse. This time, the Germans fail to stop the attack, with Allied units overrunning their positions and taking control of the region.
falloflorraine.png

November, 1960. The time has come once again for the American people to head to the polling booth and select a new president. Dwight Eisenhower, who has now finished his two terms, leaves office, and is replaced by the Democratic nominee for President, John F. Kennedy.
uselections1960.png

johnfkennedywhitehousec.jpg

The new cabinet of the United States after the elections, with Lyndon B Johnson now becoming the Vice President, and Dean Rusk as the new Secretary of State. Also note that the heads of intelligence and the armed forces have remained the same. (also note that GIP apparently has no color pics of Kennedy, Johnson, and the other new Kennedy cabinet members).
jfkcabinet.png

Finally, back in the Crimea, the Platinean army forces are either killed or captured by Russian reinforcements that arrive in the area. The Platineans are given another warning by the Joint Allied Command not to waste their units on these futile raids, with the Platinean generals reportedly making no promises to change their tactics.
platineanswipedout.png

Keep the President out of Dallas and away from any and all Schoolbook depository buildings. Oh and introduce him to that von Braun chap once you've captured him.

I certainly wasn't expecting Hungary to collapse so quickly but it's a good sign that Mitteleuropa is slowly being bled dry. If you're even managing to make progress on the Western Front then Germany is in serious trouble.

Wonderful string of updates. After a hard struggle, American tactical superiority has weakened the Germans to the point that they can be defeated. I was hoping Nixon would win, though, it seemed more plausible that a popular wartime Republican leader would sweep the polls with Eisenhower's blessing. And Nixon becoming a wartime hero is just too AH awesome not to do ;)

Speaking of Presidents, I think the bravery and impossible power of La Plata may be linked to the fact that President Yrigoyen has been dead for 27 years. He died in 1933! :rofl:

Hooray for President Kennedy! He shall lead us to Berlin and Moscow!

@Karaiskandar: They will stop when the war is over.

@Meadow: True, but I like Kennedy better.

@everyone else: thanks for the comments!

The frontlines in Europe by January, 1961. The allied forces are closing in for the kill from all sides, from the west in France, from the South in Italy, from the North in Scandinavia, and from the southeast in the Balkans. Germany is now fighting on multiple fronts trying to hold the allies back.
europejan1961.png

In Asia, things are not looking too good for the Russians either. Central Asia has fallen completely to allied troops, which now stand poised to cross further north towards the Trans-Siberian railway.
asiajanuary1961.png

In Italy, allied forces begin a massive general offensive, their objective: the complete liberation of Northern Italy from German control. With many of their units being shifted to the east to face the US army, German defenses in Italy are weakened. This lack of forces now allows Allied troops to finally break through the German defenses and get the front moving again. Milan, the first major occupied Italian city to face this offensive, is quickly liberated.
10to1milan.png

With Milan now back in Allied hands, 220,000 German troops have been cut off in Turin. Besieged from all sides, the German forces that are trapped in the city are given no other choice than to surrender. The liberation of Turin has broken the back of the German army in Italy, and greatly swung the tide in favour of the allied forces.
liberationofturin.png

Meanwhile, American units in the Caucuses begin the process of strategic redeployment to Europe, to help continue the growing momentum of the allied advance.
outofthecaucuses.png

The next major objective in the liberation of northern Italy is the city of Venice. German forces that have been holding the easternmost portions of the Po River at Ferrara at swept aside by the avalanche of Allied divisions moving north.
liberationofferrara.png

Allied forces now sweep into the heavily defended city of Venice, garrisoned by powerful combined German/Russian tank and mechanized forces. After many hours of huge fighting, including massive naval artillery gunfire support by American battleships near the shore, the Germans and their allies are forced to withdraw from the area. Italian soldiers march into Venice soon after the enemy withdrawal, celebrating a hard fought victory.
liberationofvenice.png

Back in the United States, new mechanized field armies with headquarters units are coming into service, to help solve the logistical problems that have been plaguing the allied advance in Europe since the first wide scale offensives there in 1959. (many times that my allied troops have attacked, it has been far over the command limit due to a lack of HQ's. This now helps alleviate the problem, and should make advancing much easier).
newhqs.png

Back in Europe, the last German units are driven out of Northern Italy. Northern Italy is now finally liberated from German control, greatly boosting Italy's ability to contribute to the Allied war effort.
liberationofitaly.png

In France, allied units now continue the attack, marching further into Alsace-Lorraine. German defenses in Strasbourg collapse in the face of the allied onslaught.
battleofstrasbourg.png

With Strasbourg now secure, allied units swing north, marching on Metz and Reims en route to the southern edges of the Ardennes forest.
totheardennes.png

With the entire easternmost part of the German front now destroyed, allied units begin to roll up the western side from the flank, with allied forces attacking and taking control of Compiegne.
battleofcompiegne.png

The Germans, desperate to hold Compiegne, launch a large scale counteroffensive against the American armoured forces that arrive in the area. Although under heavy pressure, the American armoured units hold their ground, long enough for allied reinforcements to arrive and halt the German counterattack.
enemycounterattackcompi.png

Meanwhile, far in Siberia, large Russian army forces are fighting hard to drive the allied forces back out of the area. These Russian counterattacks are making things very difficult, with territory changing hands almost constantly between the Russians and the allies.
bigsiberiancounterattac.png

Back in Europe, American forces launch a small offensive to take control of Galicia, with the goal of securing their northern flanks from a possible enemy counterattack. Enemy forces are thrown back, with cities like Cracow falling to American forces.
invasionofgalicia.png