• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I say that they should show restraint with their nukes. I have stated many times my opinion that their use is almost cheating and I believe they should not be used if not necessary. I also think you should not use yours if not necessary.

I agree, nukes should be used only in very critical situation.

More neutral nations are being eliminated, world will be really entirely divided between two blocs. Btw, what's with Greece? Are they neutral? They are usually part of Belgrade Pact and should be now allied with Serbia and Romania, and at war with Mitteleuropa.

Eagerly waiting for new update, keep up a good work!

Concerning the nukes, I'm also for a limited use restricted to very critical situations.

My vote goes to nuclear restaint.

Realistically, all nuclear powers would at this point adjust their foreign policy so as to avoid war with any other nuclear power at all cost. Trilateral Russo-German-American conferences, wars only by proxy, limited objectives, extensive underhand plotting and so on... cold war essentially. Germany in particular has absolutely nothing to gain from a nuclear war, since it's such a densely populated country, and all their population centers are easily within range of medium range missiles based in southern England. The US and Russia are not so massively threatened, especially the US would at this point be fairly safe from intercontinental bombers or missiles. So realistically it would be in Germany's best interest to push for cordial relations with the USA and limit their foreign aggression to proxy action (like with Austria) and covert support to dissidents and plotters in the American sphere. Russia on the other hand could become the more aggressive monarchist power, seeing itself less threatened by US strategic weapons.

By the way who's controlling Scandinavia in this storyline? If you look at maps of the European and western Russian air space it's obvious that the Mitteleuropean air defence sorely needs a coordinated Russo-German policy, and Scandinavia is right in the middle of the problem: US bombers would, realistically, have a number of major approach routes towards Mitteleuropean population centers:
1.) A very short route from England across the Low Countries into the air space over western Germany
2.) Another very short route from Scotland across the North Sea into the air space over Denmark and then into northern Germany
3.) from Alaska, Greenland and northern Canada across the Pole into central Russian air space (long range)
4.) from Scotland across Scandinavia into the air space over western Russia. (medium range)

This is just looking at threats posed by aircraft stationed in relatively "safe" US bases. Southern France or Italy would also be close to Mitteleuropean air space but they are so close that the bases themselves are unsafe... a Mitteleuropean first strike even by conventional means could easily neutralize them. However should short and medium range nuclear missiles become available then of course Mitteleuropa will for be practically indefensible since it is threatened from so many axes. I'm not looking at this scenario though since this is only 1955... Also there is Austria-Hungary which is in range of medium range US bombers based in North Africa but they're a secondary power so who cares...

Germany needs an extremely dense air defence network, with many interceptors placed perpetually on high alert because it is so lethally threatened by short range strikes across routes 1 and 2. Russia on the other hand needs to defend against medium and long range strikes, so their threat profile is a lot different... missile defence networks are an option for them since there is so much space in northern Russia that strategic bombers from route 4 need to cover. Russia's main problem, though, is approach route across Scandinavia. Russia needs to forward defend it, otherwise the US bombers coming from Scotland can (by violating neutral Norwegian and Swedish airspace) ascend and accelerate safely, and swoop in on western Russia at very high altitude and at unstoppable speed. In other words, Russia needs to look at ways to make Sweden and Norway agree to Russian air bases, radar networks and missile bases.

Where do Sweden and Norway stand politically?

Germany could try to wipe out the US forces in Britain in an all-annihilating first strike... because they know their cities will be cinders if the US get to launch a full strike from their British bases. :eek:o

The US would also have stratosphere bombers of course, but who says the Germans don't have stratospheric interceptors...

Fine AAR you've got here. I'd actually be sorta disappointed if this goes on to war, though. I find leaving off with a Cold War tends to be a satisfying way to end an AAR like this one.

It's annoying to see Mitteleuropa get stronger while the US can't do anything- they certainly aren't going to fight and die for Serbia and Romania. Any chance of an Allied guarantee for Greece? It's looking very isolated now but it's managed to get out of the Belgrade Pact in time so any Mitteleuropan aggression would have less justification. The Allies are also in a position to help Greece, unlike Serbia and Romania.

I think that Germany and Russia would use nukes if they thought they could get away with it but they would also be careful to avoid any chance of nuclear warfare escalating, so they would be sparing with their use of nukes. From an entertainment point of view nuclear annihilation would also be far less interesting IMO than a conventional war between the two blocs.

@Asalto: Greece is a neutral country in Europe, one of only a few neutral European states left actually, along with Denmark and Switzerland. Greece left the Belgrade pact a long time ago, sometime in the early 1940's I think.

@Xesan: Africa has been deeply split between the Allies and Mitteleuropa. Germany has colonies in Morocco, Madagascar, and northern Somalia along the gulf of Aden. Libya is allied with Germany through the Ottoman Empire, and Germany also controls the huge central African colony of Mittelafrika, still ruled by a now very old Hermann Goring. In the allied camp is little Liberia, as well as South Africa. France also still controls all of northwestern Africa as far south as Cote d ivore and as far east as Chad. Egypt and Ethiopia are the only neutral countries left in Africa.

@Leviathan07: A very good and well thought out analysis of the nuclear strategic situation. Germany and Russia both have absolutely huge air forces, so your theory about having dense air defenses is definitely reality. Also, both states have SAM technology as well as radar, so I think you could say they are definitely ready for any air threats I could throw at them. As for Sweden and Norway: both states are full members of Mitteleuropa, and give German and Russian aircraft full access to their military airfields and bases. Also, I should probably mention that both Germany and Russia are beginning to manufacture ICBM's.

@Metroid17: to be honest, I have had thoughts of ending the AAR and maybe continuing it in MDS or something, but I decided that I want to see this thing until the very end with a full scale global war between the Allies and Mitteleuropa.

@everyone else: thanks for the comments!

With Serbia now gone, Hungarian and other Mitteleuropan troops shift east to finish off the regime of Iron Guard Romania. Like Belgrade, Bucharest is now surrounded and under heavy air and artillery attack, in an effort to soften up the estimated 600,000 Romanian troops that are now trapped in the city, making their final stand.
siegeofbucharest2.png

On August 15th, 1955, Romanian forces, almost out of ammunition and food, surrender en masse to Hungarian and Russian troops. This brings about the complete surrender of the Romanian government to the governments of Mitteleuropa.
romaniansurrender.png

Romania is now partitioned among the victorious states. Bulgaria annexes southern Dobruja, while Russia gains control of Bessarabia. The rest of Romania is given to Hungary, which now gains access to the Black Sea. Although declared by Hungary and other belligerents to be a total victory, word arrives to the outside world of massive guerrilla resistance taking place in both Romania and Serbia, with the aid of huge weapons stashes that were left behind by Serbian and Romanian forces in their retreat.
romaniacarvedup.png

Meanwhile, back in the United States, construction begins on brand new light aircraft carriers and destroyers armed with anti-submarine weapons. These ships will be tasked with combating German or Russian submarines in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans using weapons such as Anti-Submarine rockets, depth charges, and helicopters armed with sonar buoys and torpedoes.
51015579.png

Winter, 1955. Top German officials, including the Kaiser himself, meet with the leaders of Germany's allies to discuss the global geopolitical situation. To the Germans, the situation is not very good. Mitteleuropa failed to somehow stop the Allies from gaining control of huge swaths of places such as Asia and Europe, with the once war torn and broken United States of the 1930's now undoubtedly one of the most powerful countries on the face of the earth. To try and combat the might of the United States, Germany decides to look for new places to gain a political or military advantage. It does not take long for Germany and its Allies to decide that Latin America is the perfect place for such an undertaking.
newgermandoctrine.png

In this effort, they soon find a leader more than willing to accept German protection in exchange for military base agreements on his nations soil. This leader is Generalissimo Rafael Trujillo, the military dictator of the Dominican Republic. In recent years, the United States has begun to clamp down on his dictatorial regime, issuing travel bans and economic sanctions on his government for numerous human rights violations committed in recent years within the country. In light of these threats from the United States, Generalissimo Trujillo jumps at the chance of gaining protection under Germany's shield, believing that this will forever protect his regime from American power.
drchoice.png

On January 6th, 1956, an agreement is signed between Germany and the Dominican Republic, formally accepting the DR as a full member of the Mitteleuropa alliance.
drjionsmitteleuropa.png

When word arrives to the White House of this development, President Eisenhower becomes outraged. By promising protection for the Dominican Republic, Germany has blatantly violated the Monroe Doctrine, which declared any acts by European states to gain influence or colonies in the America's as an act of aggression towards the United States itself. In response, President Eisenhower orders the upgrading of America's defense condition to level 3, putting US forces around the globe in a heightened state of readiness for conflict.
monroedoctrineviolation.png

Defcon 3, serious business.
I hope that the Germans won't install some high-tech weapon systems on Dominican soil...

Germans in Caribbean? Not good!

Btw, your current game would be wonderful to be continued in MDS!

I completely agree with Asalto, another MDS-KR AAR would be awesome.

Anyway, I have a bad feeling about Dominican Republic: Hispaniola may become OTL Cuba...