• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@salidas16: Not happening, at least not now. If the war starts to go very bad for Japan however, there could be a KR version of operation August storm....

@Kasakka: I think you are underestimating the amount of challenge I am facing. I am playing on hard mode, and do not have access to all of the IC i could be on Normal. My military is not the most powerful in the world, with my best divisions, the mechanized and armoured ones, being useless in the Pacific theatre, with only a few exceptions. (like australia) I am facing a numerically superior and technologically advanced IJN that has had almost 5 years to prepare for war, and is now in the process of pummeling the US navy. My airforce is also small and antiquated (with the exception of my jet fighters, but I do not have a huge amount of those.) It will take far more than a year to bring down the Japanese.

@thatguy, son of liberty: To tell you the truth I have no idea how some of the naval battle mechanics work. I have read somewhere that heavy cruisers were good for defending carriers, and have had no problem with using them in the past in my CTF's. I think part of it might have to do with the Japanese superiority in doctrines and carrier tech though.

@serutan: Well, the original plan was to have Japan DOW me while the war against the syndicalists was still raging, then I could have had a proper 2 front war. When their AI failed to do that, even after the syndies were beaten, I decided to import a modified version of the vanilla pearl harbour event, and programmed it to fire around April 7th, 1945, and start a big Pacific war.

@everyone else: thats for the comments!

Authors note: Small update today. I haven't been able to update this AAR very much recently due to RL priorities. I have tons of research to do and papers to write over the next month and a half, so updates will be pretty slow. However, expect things to pick up again around April.

American battleships continue to prowl around the seas near Australasia. On this occasion, they run into a small force of Japanese and ANZAC ships, easily sending most of them to the bottom of the sea.
newhebridesnavalbattle.png

enemyshipssunk.png

Meanwhile, Spain installs a constitutional monarchy.
spanishreforms.png

ANZAC naval bombers are intercepted over the central Pacific ocean by the USAAF. The advanced jet fighters rip through the enemy bombers, sending most of them into the ocean before the fighters are forced to withdraw to refuel.
svsnavs.png

American battleships scout out the coast of Australia, while sinking more enemy vessels. The ANZACS do not have very in depth beach defenses, at least for now. Before an invasion can be mounted however, the US will have to first clear out the multiple island bases that surround the Australia and New Zealand.
nearingaustralia.png

Nimitz's carrier task force runs into a Japanese surface fleet under the command of Admiral Yonai, and led by 2 Japanese battlecruisers. The American carriers soon make quick work of the elderly Japanese capital ships, bombarding them with multiple bombs and torpedoes, until both battlecruisers are destroyed and the Japanese retreat.
japanesebattlecruisers.png

japanesebattlecruiserss.png

An aerial skirmish between interceptors of the USAAF and the Imperial Japanese Air Force in the skies near Iwo Jima. The battle is somewhat inconclusive, as both sides take similar casualties before withdrawing.
airbattleofiwojima.png

Chile, which had declared war on Japan, is finally convinced to join the allied powers, a very welcome boost to the alliance in the war against Japan.
chilejoinstheallies.png

Nice progress so far.
The Japs seems to be unable to compete with your navy.

Kaiser_Mobius - Very interesting KR AAR! I'd be interested in hearing what specifically the AI tweaks were you made? Perhaps they could be incorporated into the next version of KR itself.

Strike at Australia and New Zealand the moment you have a base that can reach one or both of them. Dump as many men as you can on both coasts and then they have no chance. There only chance is to beat you at sea, so the longer the war at sea goes on, the greater chance The Japanese have. Australia gives you a very big staging area to invade the rest of the Japanese Empire.

Interesting - Go indirectly via Austrailia/New Zealand, or go straight for the
Home Islands? For now, it looks like you need to husband your
naval and air assets (while sniping at the IJN/IJAF) until your numbers get better.

It might also be a good idea to see if you can draw the Japanese into Australia and New Zealand. The more men they commit to Australia, the fewer they will have to defend the rest of their empire. Since Australia and Japan are allied, they should send their army to defend them if they look like they are in trouble. If you can pull it off, and that is a big if, it might be just the advantage you need to gain a lot of territory before their military can recover.

Interesting - Go indirectly via Austrailia/New Zealand, or go straight for the
Home Islands? For now, it looks like you need to husband your
naval and air assets (while sniping at the IJN/IJAF) until your numbers get better.

Is there a event for occupation of Japanese Home Islands or just the Fading Sun one? It would be reasonable. Maybe not a unconditional surrender but still i can not imagine Americans in Tokyo, Osaka & Yokohama and Japanese fighting in rest of Asia.

Fundamental: What would Hirohitio do? Pfffff :)

@Johnny Canuck: Well I do not think most of the AI mods I made would be in any version of KR. They have mostly been made in the savefiles , and they have been done to account for a game where the USA wins the civil war.

@History_Buff, serutan: I am actually going to hold off on invading Australia for now. I want them to build up their defenses more so that I can have a big land war there. Instead, my efforts will be focused on Indonesia, the Philippines, and all of those island chains in the south and central pacific.

@1against50k: Don't know, but I do not really care enough to make one. I am going to make sure that Japan's home islands are saved for last in the pacific war, so I can have a nice, apocalyptic operation downfall in the home islands.

A massive Japanese carrier task force, commanded by Admiral Yamamoto himself, is spotted by USAAF patrol planes south of Wake Island. Admiral Nimitz is immediately ordered to intercept the Japanese fleet.
sfleet.png

Nimitz engages Yamamoto's carriers just north of Midway Island. The battle of midway quickly becomes a bloodbath, as Japanese and American aircraft pound each other's ships with bombs and torpedoes.
battleofmidway.png

cv09essexusg80g273032.jpg

The battle finally ends as Nimitz withdraws towards Hawaii. The battle turns out to be one of the darkest days of the US navy. Casualties are huge, with three carriers and four heavy cruisers being lost to the Japanese carrier aircraft. Casualties on the Japanese side are just as devastating, with 5 cruisers, 3 battleships, and 3 aircraft carriers being sent to the bottom by the US navy. Although the US might have sunk more Japanese capital ships, the naval strategic situation in the pacific is leaning heavily in Japan's favour, with yet another USN carrier task force now out of commission.
midwaydefeat.png

In response to these heavy losses, the US government orders the construction of 6 brand new carriers of the latest model, to be followed by even more up do date models later on.
replacementcarriers.png

Yamamoto is harassed by USAAF bombers as he attempts to withdraw back to Japan. US bombers succeed in sinking a Japanese cruiser, but fail to cause more extensive damage to the 2 surviving carriers.
usaafharrassment.png

With the situation desperate, the US government takes military control of the Canadian armed forces, including the powerful Royal Canadian Navy. A large Canadian task force, centered around 6 carriers and a similar number of battleships and battlecruisers, is ordered to move into Vancouver, in preparation for action in the pacific ocean. Some in the US navy question the decision to send the obsolescent Canadian fleet to the pacific, but their objections are overruled by the need for more, combat ready carriers against the Japanese.
canadiancarriertaskforc.png

h61776.jpg

The only USN carrier task force left in the pacific now is Admiral Halsey's powerful 3rd fleet, centered around the best carrier's in the United States navy. Until more ships can be repaired and built, and until the Canadian fleet arrives, Halsey will have to hold the line against the IJN on his own.
bullhalsey.png

In the south pacific, American battleships once again intercept a small group of Japanese vessels, this time near guadalcanal. Japanese losses are huge, with all of their cruisers and destroyers being sunk.
theslot.png

Ouch, that battle of Midway was truly devastating. :eek:
The Canadian help will be crucial.

I think you should program the Japanese AI to put at least some resources towards battleships to replace losses as usually after the Yamato and Musashi are completed they drop BB/BC building altogether.

Kaiser, you have achieved what I thought impossible - kept me interested in an AAR about naval combat! Usually when provinces aren't changing hands I get bored. But your underdog fight against Japan in the Pacific is gripping and great to read. In a way I'm hoping you keep losing for about a year and Japan takes a lot of your islands, then when you've built up your navy you come back and beat them back to the home islands... though using your very experienced Army to make a base in Australasia would be a very good use of your time.

Japan won't be a tough nut to crack. Maybe I missed that part, but what happened with Jack John Reed after he was captured? Was there a trial? And what about Huey Long? What happened with leaderships of AUS and PSA? I know those are things from civil war, but I didn't notice them trough the story.:p

Some points on cruisers: Lights are much cheaper than heavies IC, time and MP wise, serve as screens for your capital:screen ratio (which should ALWAYS be at 1:1 or higher i.e. more screens than capitals, whereas heavies count towards capital counts), and combined w/ FC brigades, IF your fleets are forced to close in, can shoot at battleships compared to DDs. It's analogous to IRL events, where light cruisers were armed to the teeth with AA and radar as pickets for carrier fleets, and much more of them were built than heavies. (for RP purposes you can arm light cruisers w/ AA too)

Note: You're doing a similar to IRL strategy of cutting off the middle 1st, but is your objective breaking the Chinese so you won't get steamrollered by their army once you hit Asia?

@Austria Hungary: I am not sure I will do that. After losing almost all of their battleships to US carriers, and seeing the effectiveness of their own carriers against the US navy, I think Yamamoto and his supporters will get their way, and phase out all BB production for more, and better aircraft carriers.

@Meadow: I am glad to see that my bloody carrier battles are really impressing people.:D That is one of the coolest things about the KR mod: the huge, and powerful navies that many of the world's powers possess. Sometimes it feels like everyone and their dog has at least a battleship floating around.

@Asalto: Ah yes, I should probably give more details:

Huey long and the AUS main leadership: Huey Long himself committed suicide in the port authority building of Miami harbour as US federal troops stormed the city. (his suicide is documented on page 6 of this thread) Many of the AUS leadership were either captured in Miami, or escaped to Cuba and Mexico, where they were ultimately rounded up after the US interventions in those countries.

John "Jack" Reed and the CSA leadership: Jack Reed was able to flee the country as Federal troops stormed the CSA's last strongholds in Detroit and Chicago. He fled by submarine, along with a handful of supporters, to the Commune of France, where he lobbied for an Internationale invasion of the United States while the US military and government were still somewhat vulnerable in the aftermath of the war. His dream of the Combined Syndicates of America was ended when US troops captured him in Paris during the collapse of the French Commune. He has since been extradited back to the United States, and is awaiting trial for treason, war crimes, and other charges.

Frank Merriam and the PSA's leadership: I think I should have probably dwelled on them a little more, since all I didn't really mention their leaders and their cause very much, mostly because I viewed the PSA and its war for independence as just a sideshow to the much more crucial fighting that took place in the heavily industrialized and populated eastern part of the country. I think its safe to say that due to the less ideological type of struggle in the west, you can assume that Merriam and his top officials would probably not be executed, but probably spend most of the rest of their lives in federal prison. Many of their underlings, including some of their best generals however, got a much greater amount of leeway, and even served the United States in the war against Syndicalism and the current war against Japanese tyranny.

Hope that clears things up.:)

@Ciryandor: Interesting info. However, I have one question: You mentioned that CL's can fire at enemy ships if they get in range. However, wouldn't CA's be just as good for that situation, if not better?

@everyone else: thanks for your comments!

Currently, the Allies only major land front against the Japanese and their client states is in southeast Asia. There, at least 1 million Indian soldiers, supported by Canadian, French, South African, and some Latin American aircraft, are grinding through the jungles out of Burma and into central Siam, facing bitter resistance from the Royal Siamese army and Japanese reinforcements moving in from China.
indiainvadessiam1.png

The first batch of American combat troops arrives in the south Pacific in American Samoa. From Here, US forces will begin to hove on the southern island bases that form the outer perimeter of Australasia's defenses.
usarmysamoa.png

Protected by American battleships, US forces sail to the islands of Tarawa and Vanua Levu, with the goal of seizing these territories as part of the beginning of a large island hopping campaign.
firstoffensivepacific.png

US troops make contact with the enemy in Vanua Levu, one of the Fijian islands which is owned by Australasia. There, US troops face stiff resistance from a division of ANZAC infantry, supported by heavy artillery. With the help of numbers, and fire support from American battleships, the ANZAC's are defeated, and the island falls.
vanualevubattle.png

Meanwhile, Tarawa falls without a fight. It seems that the ANZACs don't have enough soldiers or transports to defend all of their island bases.
falloftarawa.png

US infantry clear Fiji of ANZAC presence, securing the last vital strategic point of this island chain.
battleoffiji.png

As the fighting continues to rage in the pacific, in Europe, the transfer of power in France to the French Nationalists is finally completed. Philippe Petain, and the many thousands of French who had been forced to flee for Algeria during the French revolution in the 1920's finally return to their homeland, which now becomes the new French Republic, with its capital in Paris.
frenchreturnb.png

A large air battle takes place in the skies near Iwo Jima, with Japanese interceptors taking American jet fighters head on. The battle proves to be highly one sides, with the Japanese fighters being no match for the faster, heavily armed P-80 shooting stars.
propsvsjets.png

US forces now land on Noumea, in the New Hebrides island chain. Surprisingly, defending the island are not Japanese or ANZAC troops, but rather Manchu infantry from the Fengtien Republic! The Manchurians prove to be capable soldiers, offering stiff resistance, but are eventually forced to surrender.
battleofnoumea.png

After taking Fiji, US forces decide to pull back to defend the air and naval base on Vanua Levu, believing that the US navy will be able to stop any landing attempts on Fiji. However, the ANZACs prove the US navy wrong, landing on the island during the night and reestablishing their control. US forces are quickly sent to retake the island, which they do successfully, this time making sure that a garrison is left there to prevent another ANZAC landing.
fijiretaken.png

keep up the good work!