• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One thing I'd suggest if you do go for Britain at some point - transfer all the provinces to Canada as soon as you annex the Union of Britain. That way Johnny Canuck's excellent 'Liberation of the UK' events will fire, and you'll get a nice powerful Britain as an ally within a few months, rather than potentially dodgy puppets.

Very good AAR, I am following it religiously.

I would also prefer an invasion of Italy. If someone does not do something about the Italians soon, they will likely breakthrough and destroy the Austrians and Germans. If the Germans collapse, your screwed as they can now focus their entire army against you, not good! Poke around for an a weakly defended coast and dump as many men ashore as your transports will allow. The bulk of their forces should be on the Austrian front, so once you land, you can send all 62 of those divisions in and steamroller them. Using this strategy, you might be able to grab all of Southern Italy before they have a chance to respond.

You might also consider doing a simultaneous invasion of Spain and Italy if you have the men to accomplish it. It would certainly make things more complicated

I think its only fair you help the Germans somehow, the Germans are getting pushed back in the North and South, why? Because they have like 3 different fronts to fight on! They are doomed without help.

@Meadow: I know, the Italian's have done very well in this war. It helps that their army is pretty huge too, with about 120 divisions IIRC.

Oh, and good suggestion on Canada and the UK. However, I want the British to also remember who is calling the shots.;)

@Issac Wolfe: Those 62 divisions are only the start. I have my industries working around the clock on mobilizing more soldiers, building more weapons, launching more ships, and rolling out more armoured vehicles and soon, tanks. Those syndie bastards are going to feel the full might of the arsenal of democracy!

@The_Frozen_1: That is very close to what I will be doing.

@MarshalThorpe: Thank you, and welcome aboard!

@Zhuge Liang: Its about time too. I was worried for a while that the Germans would simply squash them at the beginning, but thanks to their large army (and some AI and IC modding by me) they are actually proving to be a worthy opponent.

@History_Buff: I would love to land on Italy, but there are some problems. First of all, the logistics of an invasion are rather negative at that point, with Gibraltar in French hands, and the fact that the Italians have stacked their beaches with LOTS of troops. (about 7 - 10 divs per beach at the point I am in the game) Therefore I will have to choose a different target.

@Austria Hungary: Dont worry, I didn't forget about the Germans. I helped them out by giving them some more manpower, manually ending the German-Japanese war, getting their AI to focus more on their army rather than their airforce and U boats, as well as getting them some more allies.

But as you will see later, even that doesn't really help them very much....

Here is another update for tonight.

Ottoman troops launch a number of amphibious landing operations throughout the Mediterranean sea, taking control of Corsica, Sardinia, and Iberia's Mediterranean islands.
busyottomans.png

In China, Japanese troops sweep into the "Legation cities": European controlled ports on the coast of China. With little means to stop the Japanese attack, the European leaders of these cities surrender, giving the Japanese a massive propaganda victory.
legationcities.png

legationannexed.png

The Iberian navy attempts to break out into the Atlantic ocean through the straits of Gibraltar, running headlong into Nimitz's blockading task force. The US carriers strike the old Iberian ships, this time making their first major surface kill of the war, the old ex-Spanish navy flagship Espana, which is destroyed by dive and torpedo bombers from the USS Yorktown.
espanasunk.png

The situation in Europe by January 1st, 1943. The French and German armies are still stuck fighting in places like Alsace Lorraine, the Ardennes, former Belgium, and Holland. In the south however, the Italian army has started to lose some ground, being driven largely out of Austria and Munich, as well as parts of Croatia by the now arriving Hungarian army. Their positions in the south are still very strong however, and the fighting is far from over for these regions.
europeanfront1943.png

German troops, heading for the western front.
poeling90182875.jpg

Italian forces, with the support of French tanks, finally break through the last lines of Croatian defense in front of the city of Dubrovnik, the last stronghold still in Croatian hands. After this defeat, the Croatian regime flees for Hungary, which is now taking a much more active role in the Balkan front. (BTW, I am not even going to try and pronounce the name of the Hungarian head of government!)
croatiansurrender.png

With the Germans still heavily resisting their attacks, the French Premier decides to make a radio address to his nation, as well as to all Syndicalist forces on the frontlines. In his address, the French Premier asked all the people of France to give him one final effort, famously asking over the radio: "Do you want total war? If necessary, do you want a war more total and radical than anything that we can even yet imagine?" The result was the mobilization of all of the Commune of France's remaining manpower and industrial resources, to make one last push to not only defeat the German Empire and its allies, but the forces of the United States and the Entente, massing in North America and the islands of the Atlantic. (In other words, I gave the French some manpower and about 50 offmap IC. I also gave the Iberians some extra IC and the Italians some more manpower.)
frenchic.png

iberianic.png

Another 6 aircraft carriers come out of the shipyards in the United States, forming the core of the 2nd US navy carrier task force under the command of Admiral Kinkaid.
morecarriers.png

The government now orders the construction of another 6 aircraft carriers, this time of the more modern Essex class, which will form the core of a 3rd carrier task force.
essexclasscarriers.png

Finally, in southeast Asia, the government of Siam enters a full military and political alliance with the Japanese Empire.
siamandjapan.png

Some of the next generation carriers will have rather boring names it seems.

You'll have to strike the Syndies hard in 1943, before it's too late for Germany.

How much IC has Japan now?
Also, I suggest renaming the carriers into the places of most glorious battles during the Second Civil War.

...also, may I please have those majestic naval sprites you're using? :D

Glad you took my idea on board about a proper liberation of the UK. And of course they'll know who's calling the shots! They knew that after WWII in our timeline, I think they'll know who's in charge if the USA actually has to LIBERATE them as well!

The war really is looking fantastically interesting. The Italian and Western Fronts look like a nightmare on the scale of the First World War, much more interesting than WWII's 'no-one fighting the Germans on continental Europe from 1940 until 1943' malarkey. Can't wait to see what the US can do.

See if you can get military access from Germany. This way, if they begin to struggle, you can land men and fight alongside them. Also, if Italy is impossible, try landing in Spain or better yet, France. France might be the better choice because much of their army should be on the front and you might be able to gain huge amounts of ground. As for Britain, their beach defenses should be pretty strong, I would avoid them unless no one else offers a good chance. You could also use the strategy of "feint for the throat and go for the heart". In other words, feint towards one key point to soften up another one.

Great AAR so far. I'm assuming an Irish landing will occur shortly.

Meadow said:
The Italian and Western Fronts look like a nightmare on the scale of the First World War, much more interesting than WWII's 'no-one fighting the Germans on continental Europe from 1940 until 1943' malarkey.

- Not to start anything political, but from a purely historical point, don't tell that to any Russian. :wacko:

By the way, I was wondering about how you view the German (shrinking) empire. Friends? Enemies? Possible Friends? Mutual Allies? Because, when you think about it, the Germans werent warmongering in this timeline as much and thus would be more likely friendly to the (far)west.

Great AAR so far. I'm assuming an Irish landing will occur shortly.

- Not to start anything political, but from a purely historical point, don't tell that to any Russian. :wacko:

Haha, sorry, I forgot to type 'Western'. I'm sure you know what I mean.

By the way, I was wondering about how you view the German (shrinking) empire. Friends? Enemies? Possible Friends? Mutual Allies? Because, when you think about it, the Germans werent warmongering in this timeline as much and thus would be more likely friendly to the (far)west.

In the long-term, he's likely to liberate all of Europe from the Syndicalists after they trash Germany, so the question of what to do with Germany will be an important one. Garner's democratic USA is unlikely to be in the business of re-establishing militaristic Empires, but perhaps Wilhelm III could be invited to preside over a constitutional monarchy? Or Garner might go the whole hog and push for a democratic republic along the lines of OTL's Federal Republic of Germany.

However, if the US weakens the Western syndies enough to give Germany a fighting chance (and not to mention if Russia joins Mitteleuropa), the standoff/alliance between them will be explosive to watch, that's for sure. Joint US/German operations in the pacific, anyone?

I just have a hard time believing russia wouldn't try to recreate its old empire.

Ah Roosevelt. Still Anti-Imperialist I see.

I quite like this AAR. Be sure to give the Commies a kick in the pants with War Plan Red (A 30s plan for a war with Britain). I forget the War Plan for Japan ... I think it was Violet. But be ready to use it methinks.