• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh my, it has started! :eek:

Looks like this will be a mother of all wars.

I sure hope this does not become a nuclear war. Nuclear weapons shot the way the game usually works straight to hell and that is where things usually start going if both sides have nukes and use them. I cannot believe I am saying this, but I would nuke all of their nuke sites Pronto so as to ensure they cannot hit you with them and turn this into a conventional war, which I think you have a better shot at winning.

On the other hand, massive nuclear wars have produced some of the finest HoI2 AARs in Pdox history. Democracy's Last Legs for example. I mean this already is one of the finest HoI2 AARs in Pdox history, but it depends on if you want massive battles or realism. Realism with huge freakin' explosions. :D

Well I'm sure that there won't be a nuclear war in this AAR, but as I said before, when either side is pushed to the brink of defeat they should unleash everything they have.

My first courses of actions should follow...

1. Go on a limited offensive in Western Europe, secure the Benelux countries and North eastern France and go to the defensive until other operations are secured. Strategic Bomb German Industry to grind them to a halt.

2. Clear the Africa continent, it is the lightest presence in the Mitteleuropa camp, and would also prevent the Ottoman Empire from making gains in the region.

3. Clear the German territory in the Indian ocean, and have India make offensives into Persia, Central Asia, and Xinjiang.

4. For Eastern Asia, China should go onto the defensive until the US and Korean troops secure the Western Siberian coast.

@Winner: Yeah, but you have to admit. It would be a real downer if I had the Dominican missile crisis end in a diplomatic agreement and everyone lived happily ever after.:D This is a war game, and a war game needs to end in only one way: war.

@matlef: Out of all of those allied provinces along the Qing/Indian and Burmese borders, only one can actually be traveled by troops. And quickly after the war began, the Burmese sent a division to cover it, so that area is of no concern.

@DeSota: Who said there wouldn't be a nuclear war in this aar? There is a reason why I gave the Russians and the Germans the ability to research, build, and deploy nuclear weapons....

@ everyone else: thanks for the comments!

The first battles of World War 3 begin. German troops attack in Italy while Russian forces begin moving on the Indian border.
firstmitteleuropaoffens.png

In Venice, 490,000 German troops, led by Field Marshall von Kluge, slam into American and Italian defenses. Out numbered and overwhelmed by heavy German firepower, US and Italian troops retreat to the south.
battleofveniceww3.png

Meanwhile, in Indian administered Afghanistan, 750,000 Russian troops launch an assault against Indian and US troops northwest of Kabul. Although the Russians possess a huge manpower and firepower advantage, they do not sustain their attack here, pulling their forces back. It is possible that the Russian Army is simply trying to test allied defenses here, or possibly force the Indian army to redirect divisions and weaken other border positions.
battleofkabul.png

t55russe22.jpg

Further south however, the Russians press their attack. 500,000 Russian troops, led by a strong vanguard force of powerful air cavalry divisions, invade Afghanistan from Persia. Here, the Russians sustain their advance, forcing allied forces to withdraw to the east.
battleofherat.png

Back in Europe, the Germans expand their offensive into Northern Italy, sending 320,000 troops out of the Austrian alps into Trento. Again, US and Italian forces have no choice but to withdraw south, towards the major city of Milan.
battleoftrento.png

As fighting continues in Europe and Asia, US forces invade the Dominican Republic. US marines, with armoured support from the Army, land at Santiago, facing a small garrison of Dominican troops. The enemy forces are quickly overwhelmed by American military power, with the northern portion of the country falling to US forces.
drinvasion.png

Back in India, Russian troops continue to put pressure on Allied forces, this time near the major port city of Karachi. Like they do at Kabul however, the Russians pull their forces back only a few hours into the battle. The actions of the Russian army are beginning to puzzle allied commanders, which expected the Russians to literally throw everything they had in a brutal assault on India. It is possible that the Russians might be waiting for more reinforcements first, so such a scenario could still be a possibility.
battleofkarachi.png

Next, in Africa, US and South African forces invade the southern territories of the colony of Mittelafrika in multiple locations.
africanadvance.png

One of these locations is the town of Beira, located in what used to be Portuguese controlled Mozambique. Here, American tanks and mechanized infantry combat 50,000 Mittelafrikan soldiers, armed with advanced infantry weapons including assault rifles, shoulder fired anti-tank rockets, and heavy machine guns. American tanks make slow progress, and are almost forced to fall back until another US mechanized corps joins the battle, finally winning the day for the US army.
battleofbeira.png

Back in Europe, around 2000 US air force F-100 super sabres arrive in Britain to take part in combat against their Mitteleuropan counterparts. Reports are coming in of huge air losses at the hands of the German Luftwaffe and the Russian air force, which have gained near total air superiority over western Europe. The battle for the skies is predicted to become very bloody.
fightersarrivebritain.png

It should be expected that you had to withdraw at first, however, if and when you can bring up your reserves, they might be able to hold the line. Also, have you considered withdrawing south of the Po river in Italy to use the river as a part of your defense?

Worrying situation in Italy, I thought that the Trentino-Alte Adige province was a better defensive situation.
Good news about the russian front, though.

Really bad situation in Italy, the loss of Venice would be a big blow for Italian industrial capacity... You can't allow the loss of Milan and Turin, this would criple Italian economy and open a dangerous second front in France.

We should wait to see how the situation has evolved in France before making plans, I think.
This is where the main battle should take place.

You should definitely mil-control the UK - they've got valuable troops just sitting in their home isles. It's realistic for the USA to co-ordinate operations with them, after all, they owe you their freedom!

This is going to be a tough war, Mitteleuropa has overwhelming numerical superiority as well as technological parity so I'm looking forward to seeing how exactly you're going to triumph. It's rather amusing how quickly the Dominican Republic is falling considering it's the ostensible cause of this war. Looks like joining Mitteleuropa was far more trouble than it was worth.

Wow, Mitteleuropa is really a tough foe! They combine both factors of quantity and quality. Russian army is not some mass of outdated weaponry, they deploy advanced and mobile units. I hope you can stop the German advance in Italy. For now, things are looking good only in South Africa.

I also agree with Meadow, make a Joint Command of all allied armies(this means assuming military control of all your allies in fact, you are strongest nation in your bloc anyway, so this wouldn't be anything special). Massive British forces should be a great aid for your war effort.

@History_Buff: I do plan to cover part of the Italian front with the Po river, but Milan, on the north side, is an Urban province, and can hold back lots of divisions with just a small force.

@Karaiskandar: True, but interestingly, the front in France is very quiet. The French and Germans clashed a bit, but the Germans then stopped their attacks, kind of like what the Russians did in Afghanistan. I guess the Germans are waiting for more troops to arrive before launching a large scale offensive, and that will take a while.

@Meadow: Good point. The UK's powerful armoured forces will be a great asset if things really start to deteriorate in Europe.

@Zhuge Liang: Yes, Rafael Trujillo will now painfully regret joining forces with the Germans.

@Asalto: Taking full military control of all my allies might be a bit too much though. I am already having a tough time trying to control all of my own military forces. It will be pretty overwhelming having to deal with all of the ground, sea, and air forces of all of my allies. I guess I will take control of some of my allies, but leave the rest to their own devices, unless I have to personally intervene.

@everyone else: thanks for the comments!

With the beaches secure, 150,000 US soldiers and marines march on the Dominican capital of Santo Domingo. Standing between them and the capital are 150,000 Dominican troops, including local paramilitary forces and regular infantry armed with some of the latest German infantry weapons. The fighting is fierce in the mountains of the area, with German military advisers reportedly leading some of the enemy forces. After suffering rather large amounts of losses, US forces approach the outskirts of the capital.
battleofsantodomingo.png

The 3rd World War also begins to rage in China, with combined US and Republican Chinese forces facing off against the Russian equipped and trained Qing Imperial army. As Qing and Republican forces skirmish with each other along most of the border, US troops in the east begin to march towards the city of Beijing, fighting huge battles with the Qing Army before finally overwhelming the enemy forces.
chinaoffensive.png

Back in the Caribbean, US forces begin to enter the capital after heavy fighting with the Dominican Army. US marines, not suited to fighting in the mountains of the southern portion of the island, almost fail in sustaining their advance, until heavy air strikes and artillery support from the US navy finally turns the tide, leading to the total surrender of the Dominican army to US forces.
bloodysantodomingo.png

Meanwhile, American aircraft carriers and battleships depart the US east coast and head for Europe. From there, they will be sent to patrol the eastern Atlantic, defending Allied shipping from the German and Russian navies.
usntoeurope.png

Elsewhere, US forces begin to seize control of Germany's most remote colonial possessions. The first target: the German colony of Ceylon, which used to be controlled by the British before the revolution of 1925 and subsequent German takeover of the island. Now, it is America's turn to take control of this strategic place, with 60,000 US marines and army infantry storming the beaches at the city of Colombo. Defending the area is a German colonial infantry division, which severely outnumbered, flees to the north of the island.
battleofcolombo.png

In India, Russian forces launch another large scale attack against allied forces in Afghanistan, once again, in the centre of the front. This time, 790,000 Russian troops with heavy tank and mechanized support, assault the allied lines for only a few hours before once again withdrawing to their start positions. It seems that the Russians are continuing to test Allied defenses again rather than launch a breakthrough attack.
morekabulbattles.png

In the Atlantic ocean, the US navy clashes for the first time with warships of the German high seas fleet. This encounter is more of an accidental one, with the German fleet, made up largely of obsolete pre-second world war battleships stumbling upon the US navy's two Enterprise class carrier battlegroups. The huge, but old German vessels are quickly spotted on American radars and set upon by advanced carrier jet aircraft.
firstencountergermannav.png

American fighter bombers pound the German capital ships with missile and bomb attacks, causing devastating damage. Realizing that they are about to get wiped out, the German fleet lays down heavy smoke screens and turns around, running the gauntlet back to Europe. The American jets soon run out of ammunition and return to their ships, having sunk 2 German battleships with only a handful of aircraft being shot down. American admirals are pleased by this encounter, showing the Germans the power of the US navy first hand.
2bbssunk.png

However, the German navy is not the only enemy fleet active in the Atlantic. American convoy vessels carrying supplies to bases in the Atlantic are now coming attack by a silent enemy, powerful and highly advanced Russian attack submarines. The US navy is going to have to do something against these vessels, or risk possibly losing many more convoy ships.
russiansubraiders.png

2sovietfoxtrotclasspatr.jpg

On May 2nd, US forces finally enter the Dominican Republic's capital, taking control of the Presidential palace and arresting General Rafael Trujillo, the military dictator of the island. Trujillo is forced to completely surrender his country, the first Mitteleuropan member state to surrender to the Allied Forces. Meanwhile, US troops throughout the island stumble upon the remnants of multiple ballistic missile launch facilities, which show evidence of being destroyed by German engineers that be risked falling into US hands. This ends any short and medium range threat to the US mainland and the entire Western Hemisphere, but does not end the threat from enemy ballistic missiles completely, with intelligence reports indicating that the Russians and Germans both have the ability to manufacture ICBM's. (intercontinental ballistic missiles)
dominicansurrender.png