• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Doomdark

Chief Creative Officer
Paradox Staff
61 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
In these days of Dawkins, Dennet and Flying Spaghetti Monsters, it is sometimes hard to remember an age before there were "Brights" and everyone was dim; when there was no "Talk like a Pirate Day" because people spoke that way all year round... the long centuries when people went to church and the Church went wherever a certain arthritic - but very holy - finger pointed; the finger of that fellow in the funny hat whose current incarnation looks a lot like Emperor Palpatine. Of course, at Paradox we still remember, and in Heir to the Throne we are giving the Pontiff of Rome his due by revising the whole Curia system. While bribery and cynical manipulation of organized religions sounds like fun in theory, the Holy See was a feature that did not see much use in EU3. Thus, you can no longer bribe cardinals. Instead, every Catholic country has an amount of Papal Influence that increases the chance of getting a cardinal elected in the first place. This reduces micromanagement while still allowing players to attain control of the Papacy by choosing the right national ideas, being narrowminded, maintaining good relations with the Papal State, etc.

Speaking of unpolished features, another aspect of the game we were never quite happy with - but for much the opposite reason - is the advisor system. It lacks interactivity. That's why we added a shiny new window where you can play God by creating an advisor of a specific type out of nothing. Well, nothing plus a certain amount of army, navy or cultural tradition. Cultural tradition is a new concept intended to reward players for playing the game in a civilized manner (i.e. not throwing tantrums or reloading when things turn sour.) Like with admirals and generals, the quality of the advisor is dependent on how much tradition you have at the time. (The hopefully Great Man will then be available for hire, as normal, in the advisor view.) Also to be found in the new window is another type of decision; cultural decisions. These are mostly intended to increase your cultural tradition by patronizing the arts. (I also like to patronize the arts, but my way does not cost money...)

Hmm, I believe that will do for today; here are the requisite screenshots!

Attachments

• CulturalView.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 7.874
  • Curia.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 6.844
  • DoW.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 6.484
  • HREView.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 6.855
  • Trade Rights.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 7.404
:eek: Better and better...

EDIT: Wow, even the buttons are sexier! :D

I LOVE the improvements concerning advisors. That was really necessary. I will be watching the little light of my webcam though, whether or not you are judging my civilized manner of play. :D

The curia system sounds nice, but somewhat more minor of an improvement. Are there more options once you actually control the curia?

Cultural tradition is a new concept intended to reward players for playing the game in a civilized manner (i.e. not throwing tantrums or reloading when things turn sour.)

So everytime I swear I lose Cultural Tradition? Awesome. :D

Of course, that'll just make Magna Mundi even harder. Now the game will actually punish you for cursing that ubik guy. :rofl:

Another post congratulating Doomdark for making such a good job of it all!

Well done! Looking forward to playing this...

Do the bonuses of the "Reconquest" CB apply if you're fighting another type of war? For example, if you declare war on a country with the "trade wars" casus belli, can you still take your core provinces for 0 infamy?

The last screenshot seems very interesting! And all of the other features are very good.

Do the bonuses of the "Reconquest" CB apply if you're fighting another type of war? For example, if you declare war on a country with the "trade wars" casus belli, can you still take your core provinces for 0 infamy?

no. if you fight for trade wars you have other goals.

I'm loving it! Once again we see only one side of the coin leaving room for me. I'm hoping that with the new hard way of being papal controller will bring huge benefits when you actually become one! Yeah overpower the papal controller just for once so all can fear the pope :D

And I assume crusading historical targets, fighting heathens and force-converting other religions will bring you close to his holyness. :D

Trade and casus belli system looks really intriguing and the HRE.. well I'll reserve my opinion until I get to actually play it :D

I much prefer this new way of handling the Curia, so well done on that.

The new Great People system seems good too, though it does make the game even more of a snowball effect :p It seems realistic that the greater nations (with more tradition) should have better advisors, and it makes the tradition related NIs even more attractive.

I hope you were just teasing about the not throwing tantrums part :p But a reward for the nation being civilised, rather than overly aggressive or despotic seems a nice touch. Will this tie in to the changes to Republics?

Finally some more action when it comes down to advisers, I hated the old system. You can have one province with godly advisers, but once you own the entire world the amount of available wise man suddenly dries up?! Good stuff.

I can see it now:

"Due to our superior cultural tradition, we have the best Masters of the Mint in the known world!"

Are there some advisors not tied to tradition, and which are still luck-based?