• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wrong religion and non-accepted culture each incur a -30% tax income, I think. Plus, they raise revolt risk which in turn reduces tax income.

I only invest in Stability at +2 when it means getting to +3 in December instead of the following year. An extra 10% census tax is nice.

-Pat

I only invest in Stability at +2 when it means getting to +3 in December instead of the following year. An extra 10% census tax is nice.-Pat

I didn't know that stability affects taxes. I just looked in the Wiki to see if I could find the various effects of stability on income - nothing but a general statement. I have looked at stability as affecting trade (I always stress trade) and revolt risk. Specifically how does it affect taxes and other income? Tech?

Are you aware of the extremely detailed tooltips that outline all the positive and negative modifiers to income? Click on a province and hover your mouse over the tax and trade income areas in the upper right of the province box and you'll see a wealth of information. It's a great help to start figuring out all the things happening that are affecting your provinces.

Stability definitely has a direct effect on income, although I can't remember the exact modifiers. That's why declaring war without a causus belli is such a pain, you have to deal with significantly reduced income for years, which only gets worse when the war exhaustion starts raising revolt risk, which reduces your income even further. A war can easily cripple your economy if you don't plan for it properly.

Several people in this thread have talked about forced vassalisation as sometimes a better way to get the economic benefits of expansion without the penalties of acquiring provinces. It is now 1660 and I am catching up with Spain. My income has increased considerably, as was predicted. I am keeping my colonies to 4 in the East Indies. I wanted a jump in prestige. I am not accumulating missionaries, because my slider is all the way to innovation, so I can't convert conquered territories. It seemed like a good place to try vassalisation. So I tried it with Brunei. I conquered all of the provinces and got a war score of 100. When I tried vassalisation, I was told that the point value is 172 and Brunei will not accept. I continued for a while, but nothing changed. To make matters worse, Brunei has no ducats, so I can't even get money out of this peace settlement. Have I missed something?

I will definitely check out the tool tips in the province screens. Thanks.

Several people in this thread have talked about forced vassalisation as sometimes a better way to get the economic benefits of expansion without the penalties of acquiring provinces. It is now 1660 and I am catching up with Spain. My income has increased considerably, as was predicted. I am keeping my colonies to 4 in the East Indies. I wanted a jump in prestige. I am not accumulating missionaries, because my slider is all the way to innovation, so I can't convert conquered territories. It seemed like a good place to try vassalisation. So I tried it with Brunei. I conquered all of the provinces and got a war score of 100. When I tried vassalisation, I was told that the point value is 172 and Brunei will not accept. I continued for a while, but nothing changed. To make matters worse, Brunei has no ducats, so I can't even get money out of this peace settlement. Have I missed something?

I will definitely check out the tool tips in the province screens. Thanks.

If country is too big you can't vassalise them. You need to trim it down, vassalise, and then maybe sell back provinces

Does a peace value of more than 100 indicate that it is too big? I believe Brunei has 8 or 9 provinces. Is there a minimum number that makes it too big? Thanks.

Yes- in any peace deal you can get no more than 100 worth of war score. To vassalize them, take provinces that make up at least 172 - 100= 72 warscore, and vassalize in next war.

Thanks. I take it that forced vassalisation is primarily used for countries with only a few provinces?

One of the reasons that I didn't want to take any Brunei provinces is that I am no longer creating missionaries. It seems I can no longer convert heathen provinces. I am Catholic (+.25) and all the way to innovative on the slider (-1.0). So I have a -.75 missionaries per year. I did a little research, but can't find any way around this other than moving the slider way back, which is unacceptable. I go tolerant and innovative. Am I missing something or am I stuck for the rest of the game?

You can take provinces and then, after vassalising Brunei, sell back to them (probably for 0 ducats, as you mentioned that they are poor). As for missionaries- there are religious decisions that increase number of missionaries per year, however these decisions are only available for narrow-minded. So your only choices are to take Divine Supremacy NI and conquer Jerusalem and Mecca (and Rome if you are not catholic)- each of those give 0.5 missionary per year.

Thanks. Without being able to convert, I would think that taking heathen provinces would make little sense - high risk of revolt and penalty on income. Does that make sense? Are there alternatives besides vassalisation that I am missing? Should I consider keeping innovative in the middle in future games?

I didn't know that stability affects taxes. I just looked in the Wiki to see if I could find the various effects of stability on income - nothing but a general statement. I have looked at stability as affecting trade (I always stress trade) and revolt risk. Specifically how does it affect taxes and other income? Tech?

Base tax rate is 100%. For each point of positive stability, add +10%. The standard game has no penalty for negative stability (I think), so I modded in a -10% modifier for each point below 0.

-Pat