• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part of me wonder if there isn't some in-between possible. Less than a fully independent vassal state, but not able to exert the absolute control (Relatively speaking) in the royal domains. Maybe a couple of numbers that show
a)local ruler's control over the area
b)national control over the area

They wouldn't necessarily be in competition; but if the national control was low enough they might be more likely to break away as an actual vassal, and if no one had decent control, then it's probably no man's land.

Well this is probably something for EUIV, if that, so..

I think vassalage is a bit underpowered, though possible for very good game balance reasons. But if France had more definite control over its vassals, so that in terms of external military/politics it was very strong, but lacked that absolute ownership. So that, for instance, a tiny France in 1399 could rival Spain or England by virtue of the strength of its vassals, but has less ability for direct expansion.

It would be good if you could use magistrates to force your vassals to toe-the-line.

While I agree that EU3 could do with slightly better graphics, namely in the textures resolution and polycount of the soldiers, I also think that EU3 could greatly benefit from multicore support. If they could "fixe" that in EU3 with an expansion, I see no reason for an EU4 any time soon.

what is with claiming wasteland? if nobody can colonize it, they must claim the wasteland to own the wasteland. great areas of desert or ice are under control of the owner and not neutral. maybe PI have an idea to use it useful.

what is with claiming wasteland? if nobody can colonize it, they must claim the wasteland to own the wasteland. great areas of desert or ice are under control of the owner and not neutral. maybe PI have an idea to use it useful.

Some studly individual up the thread already had an idea about that. I agree it should be controllable, if only nominally.

Am I the only one interessted in Holstein relation to Denmark in the start of the game?? and what historical events have let the developers to make Denmark weaker in a period when Denmark in history were one of the most powerfull nations in Europe?? I don't see why you have made a country up(Holstein)?? there never were a sovereign nation called Holstein and it were untill 1864 a integral part of the Danish kingdom.

The fact that the king of Denmark were the Duke of Slesvig-Holsten had only something to do with the grandeure of his title(and so the second son of the king could have a little land and power).. Then you should make all countries which had "Dukedoms" into seperate nations?? I have never heard about the sovereign countries of e.g.

Lancaster
Kent
Gloucester
York
Albany
Albemarle
Bedford
Cambridge
Clarence
Cumberland
Hereford
Kendal
Sussex
Windsor

and neither Holstein

I do believe that a change like this will make Denmark break early in most games. Denmark shouldn't be falling apart in one of its historically best times because you made a integral part of it into a seperate nation..

Last edited:
Perhaps it is a vassal duchy? Annexable by diplomatic means if you keep good relations with it.

Some of the duchies you list are titular only, and don't actually have land associated with them per se, however in EU III, Lancaster and York can appear from rebellion for definate, as can a few others in England. I haven't played enough to see who else turns up elsewhere, but in one game I played I did see Parma turn up as independant.

As another thought, have you heard of the war of the Roses? Effectively a civil war, but it could be modelled as the duchies of York and Lancaster both ceceding and then fighting a war that would lead to the winner then reforming England.

Nonsense, it wasn't an "integral part" of Denmark until 1460.

No not if your history books are following the prussian propaganda of the 19th century.. Slesvig-Holsten have been Danish since before the viking age.. and it is allmost the heartland of were the first Danish kings ruled from e.g. Angantyr.. so claiming that the people in region were not Danish is nonsense.. :)

and what historical events have let the developers to make Denmark weaker in a period when Denmark in history were one of the most powerfull nations in Europe??

Denmark is usually strong in my games.

No not if your history books are following the prussian propaganda of the 19th century.. Slesvig-Holsten have been Danish since before the viking age.. and it is allmost the heartland of were the first Danish kings ruled from e.g. Angantyr.. so claiming that the people in region were not Danish is nonsense.. :)

Fine by me, but in 1399 it wasnt an integral part of the Danish state. Honestly wouldn't know about their cultural identity, but I don't think that's relevant here either.

revoltrisk +10.1% :D