• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Those settlements were, until the late 18th century, very small and tentative however. The rubber trade wouldn't get started until the 19th century, so the major export in the area was foraged herbs and nuts.

I was planning to write a bug report one of these days regarding game start with Lithuania. I see changes are already made, and we have Smolensk- is it Lithuanian vassal?
(Wikipedia: In 1395, while Yury was visiting his father-in-law, Oleg Korotopol of Ryazan, his brother-in-law, Vytautas the Great (Vitovt), took Smolensk and installed his governor there. Four years later, Vytautas was routed by the Tatars in the Battle of the Vorskla River. In 1401, Yury and Oleg made use of his plight to retake Smolensk and Bryansk, where the pro-Lithuanian boyars were promptly executed.)

Also, in 1399 start, is Lithuania at war- a crusade against Golden Horde? And by any chance, is Samogitia reaching the sea?

Looks great, but tbh i fear this whole legitimacy thing isnt what i was waiting for exactly. I thought the system should be more based on actual family trees. This looks more like its based on stability/inner politics. Hope i am wrong.
I wanna fight and inheritance war because my ruler traces back his roots to a grand grand cousin of the died ruler of the other country.

The game slows down to a crawl when there's too many potential countries to keep track of. The idea adding a bunch of individual members of the nobility is incredibly infeasible when you take that issue into account. The game will have to keep track of all of them, as well.

The game slows down to a crawl when there's too many potential countries to keep track of. The idea adding a bunch of individual members of the nobility is incredibly infeasible when you take that issue into account. The game will have to keep track of all of them, as well.

Not to the scale of CK though, the game only has to take into account their family ties and nation of origin.

Then there should be a crossing arrow between Kent and East Anglia instead of an adjacency.

+1 London Port

Also, does it look to anyone else that Schleswig has 2 ports on the posted screenshot?
No, that's Holstein's port. the little shipbuilding man is blocking the border. :p

I hope you're being facetious:rolleyes:

All the changes that are being introduced look great so far, I can't wait for the game to be released.

I'm actually harping about the decision to make Hansa a playable nation. After that I wouldn't be surprised by anything.

The only problem with beating england is beating their navy. If you can´t do that you can´t land troops anywhere in england and if you can you own them already so it wouldn´t alter game balance to their disadvantage by having coastal capital.

I can't see how a coastal capital would make the game harder for them, but it will serve to increase their Naval Force Limit even more and thus would put them at an advantage in my opinion.

Not to the scale of CK though, the game only has to take into account their family ties and nation of origin.

The game currently does take into account royal marriages between countries and will take into account related dynasties between countries. What more do you actually need for the level of detail you want?

-Pat

The game can handle alot more things without suffering major slowdowns. Not to mention with new things will come new optimizations that will improve performance. Also, (hopefully) will come new access to these new things that will enable modders to do things more directly, thereby making the mods more optimized and streamlined too.

T

It was one of the axis of Portuguese settlement in the Americas, it's got to be colonizable. Any decent political map of the world of the times will show Portuguese possessions mainly in the coast of Brazil and throughout the Amazon river.

That's true, but it is true in the same way that England's American colonies went all the way west to the Pacific. There were some outposts set up, but let's be honest, they were hardly colonies. For example, Conneticuit was given a northern latitude and a southern latitude and ran from the Atlantic to the Pacific in its charter. It set up some trade posts in what is now Ohio, in an area that they called at the time the 'Western Reserve.' Early during the days of the USA, Conneticuit, Ohio, and Pennsylvania claimed this area. It was disconnected from Conneticuit, but it was in its charter. Pennsylvania claimed that the region was actually in its charter, and since it borders the state, that it should get it. The recently created Ohio territory also claimed it, but their claim was weak. Pennsylvanian and Conneticution settlers fought a skirmish over this land.

Fun history story aside, it was technically an English colony as a part of Conneticuit, the Western Reserve. However, it wasn't taxed efficiently, if at all, and had no major communities. While it is inhabitable in the game, it doesn't have a colony there because the number of people settled there was so tiny. The same could be said for Portugal's settlement of the Amazon, except that no one was going to be settling there because of the environment.

PS. I am nearly certain that Maine was a part of King René of Anjou's domain, but I can't find proof. I'm living in Provence right now and I swear I've seen stuff mentioning his rule as Count/Duke of Maine, but I can't prove it.

The game currently does take into account royal marriages between countries and will take into account related dynasties between countries. What more do you actually need for the level of detail you want?

-Pat

Most succession wars were actually fought because of very distant realtionsships over for example the 2nd and 3rd daughter of a ruler 3 generations before when the male line dies out.. Thats what i want. ATM it looks like succesion wars are likely to happen more even if their was a legitimate but weak heir, this would be very bad for the feel of the game.

I can't see how a coastal capital would make the game harder for them, but it will serve to increase their Naval Force Limit even more and thus would put them at an advantage in my opinion.

This can be rebalanced by taking away a coastal province for England or shifting the base tax of a few provinces around, easily.

Nice, nice, nice! This gets better every day.

Though I hope you didn't nerf France too much.
For one, a strong France gave at least a decent challenge near the end of the game...

+1 London Port

I am glad they removed the PTI. Wasteland will have a dull grey color it seems but it is a big improvement.

It would be nice if some wasteland areas could be colonized later on as technology advanced. Sort of like the Victorian system. You could colonize the interior of Africa after you invented Machine Guns I think.

Whatever the case, it will give modders more options anyway.

Those would be the lands of John of Valois I am guessing. One would have to go with Blois province actually being Berry, but otherwise it works. He was the uncle of the king of France at game start, hopefully there will be some events dealing with the differant relatives vying for power over the French king.

Despite the weakening of France they have done, France still has provinces it shouldn't. Vermandois should be held by the Duke of Orleans and Rouergue should be held by Armagnac. The question is how much testing have they done with the new France? Is it weak enough with the new changes or should it be further weakened to reflect history more accuratly?

My other question is with this work they've done in the France area why do the still have a Valenciennes province in the totally wrong place? The city of Valenciennes is in the province of Cambrai, so what is Valenciennes province supposed to represent?

Sorry for all tha map nitpicks, I just love maps. The rest of the expansion sounds great so far.
Part of me wonder if there isn't some in-between possible. Less than a fully independent vassal state, but not able to exert the absolute control (Relatively speaking) in the royal domains. Maybe a couple of numbers that show
a)local ruler's control over the area
b)national control over the area

They wouldn't necessarily be in competition; but if the national control was low enough they might be more likely to break away as an actual vassal, and if no one had decent control, then it's probably no man's land.

Well this is probably something for EUIV, if that, so..