+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Heir to the Throne - Dev Diary 6

Game Director Paradox Dev Team Doomdark's Avatar

Heir to the Throne - Dev Diary 6

This week I thought we'd sit back and enjoy the little things, because that is the secret to lifelong satisfaction and contentment (also, I cannot reveal a major feature while the interface still looks like the demented scrawlings of Abdul Alhazred!) So, let us kick off with the removal of the Permanent Terra Incognita. We thought that those mysterious regions forever hidden under a lovely shade of blinding white might as well be explorable: Here be Dragons, but to be honest, nothing else of interest. That is why most of the former PTI areas are still considered "wasteland". Wasteland provinces can be discovered, but are impassable and cannot be settled. This is, in short, mostly a visual improvement. However, a few strips of land here and there could actually be salvaged and turned into normal provinces. In the process, I found myself annoyed with Russia, so I grabbed my musket and my tricorne and prepared to march on Moscow, but then I remembered which century it was (see what happens you spend too much time on our forums?) So, instead, I gratuitously changed the Russian geography so it was more to my liking.

Speaking of geography; as the astute among you have already noticed, other areas of Europe also look a bit different. However, in this case the motivation was not only to correct map errors but also to stop the ungodly Blue Blob before we all choke on snails and Crème brûlée. Yes my friends, it is time to say non to the menace that is France. Or, at least, a timid S'il vous plaît ne me tuez pas! Jesting aside, we hope France is now better balanced, with more initial trouble annexing its vassals and smashing Burgundy.

But enough with the minor map changes. A proper new feature in Heir to the Throne is the concept of Legitimacy, which represents how... well, legitimate, your dynasty is perceived to be. The value is shown in the top bar for monarchies and slowly increases or decreases with positive or negative prestige, number of royal marriages, etc. Many other events also have an impact, like a dynasty or government change, losing wars of aggression and failing to achieve war goals. Much like prestige, legitimacy has a plethora of effects on the state of your kingdom, like revolt risk, pretender rebel chance and Infamy reduction. Legitimacy is intimately tied to the strength of claim of your legal heir: an heir with a weak claim will lower the legitimacy of your dynasty on succession. On the other hand, having a high legitimacy is likelier to produce heirs with a strong claim.

Before we get to the screenshots, which speak louder than my paltry words anyway, I think I will round off by revealing what 'Magistrates' are for. In our early brainstorming sessions, we thought that some type of "focus points" would be a great way to ensure a proper progression of government forms, from primitive to almost modern (like the "Constitutional Republic".) After some shape shifting, this idea eventually coalesced into the form of the Magistrate; an all-purpose official whose chief purpose is to execute decisions, especially at the province level (this is not a hardcoded requirement, but simply a scripted effect of the decisions.) Magistrates are gained much faster for later government types, allowing quicker decision making. Magistrates should also be welcomed by our esteemed modding community, since they can be used in all kinds of clever scripts.

And, as promised, some fresh screenies!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamburg has a Port!.jpg‎
Views:	7999
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	19374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Legitimacy.jpg‎
Views:	8056
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	19376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mother Russia.jpg‎
Views:	7094
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	19377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Succession Alert.jpg‎
Views:	7076
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	19378   Click image for larger version

Name:	The White Sea Region.jpg‎
Views:	8307
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	19379  

Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEU3 Collectors Edition
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Looking excellent. Every Diary makes me want this expansion more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    However, a few strips of land here and there could actually be salvaged and turned into normal provinces.
    Could you maybe give us a few clues as to where the other strips may be or better still show us next week? I'm still hoping you've remembered poor old Sikkim...
    Last edited by SapientHomo; 03-11-2009 at 15:37.
    Current game:

ATAGE for Divine Wind -A standalone version of Magna Mundi's Government Ranks system.

Optimum Scholarum Cogitationis -A collection starring SRI, Dei Gratia, ATAGE and much more.

Aegean Crusade -Finish what the Fourth Crusade started.

Nice stuff! Will be eager to try it out!

looks gud hope it all is in FTG

What is that new country in France?

Quote Originally Posted by spock2 View Post
    Avignon? Foix? Armagnac?

Quote Originally Posted by Prinz Wilhelm View Post
    Avignon? Foix? Armagnac?
    I said new.The one with a naval province between england and britanny

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

I fully support anything that accurately represents Idaho as a wasteland in video game form.
    "In the year 2000 - Scientists will finally discover the difference between French Vanilla ice cream, and regular Vanilla ice cream... Cowardice." -- Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000 (Richter Edition)

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

I think that's part of the duchy of Auvergne.
    Alaska: Like Finland, but with less death metal and a lot more Republicans

King: "As Vic2 development came close to completion we have to think about what the hell will we do next? We picked CK2 after Doomdark had a vision of the Little Baby Jesus and he was crying because there was no CK2."

i guess France...

200k clubA Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultDungeonlandEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and Gold
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2Pirates of Black Cove
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventWarlock 2: The Exiled

Hmm, Pskov lacks a legimate heir, does that mean it is a monarchy rather than a republic now? Or does that message come up even for Republics?

I have to say that I like the new expanded role of Prestige, and this new idea of Legitimacy. I really hope that they will end up being as important as Infamy, and Stability, since countries just revolving around stab and BB always seemed a little boring and shallow to me.

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

So Magistrates serve to perform decisions... That's a rather unimpressive role, methinks, unless the decisions have been given some love. The PTI removal is sweet, as is legitimacy. Now monarchies will truly be different from republics.

Your Friendly Dictator Grubnessul's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Banished to the 8th circle of Hell after mentioning rule 34 to Canonized
    Hmm very nice. Legitimacy replaces prestige on the main window?
    "History is form of cybersex!"
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    - General Schenkhuizen, Timeslines: What if Spain failed to control the world?
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

200k clubA Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultDungeonlandEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and Gold
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2Pirates of Black Cove
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventWarlock 2: The Exiled

I assume it is Poitou, and is a vassal of England, perhaps. Or a PU under England. Or had England already lost Poitou at this stage?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladislav View Post
    I think that's part of the duchy of Auvergne.
    Oh, the flags do look very similar.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In Nomine

Im not happy with a nerfed France.

There I said it, I always enjoy wooping French hineys and making that easier is not my idea of fun.

We will see how it turns out.

Game Director Paradox Dev Team Doomdark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeeDub View Post
    So Magistrates serve to perform decisions... That's a rather unimpressive role, methinks, unless the decisions have been given some love. The PTI removal is sweet, as is legitimacy. Now monarchies will truly be different from republics.
    Province decisions will receive a thorough overhaul to make them more interesting.
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I LOVE YOU!

Ummm... Sorry, it kinda just... Slipped off... *runs away*

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenic View Post
    I assume it is Poitou, and is a vassal of England, perhaps.
    it's auvergne... it has already been said in a previous diary, if i'm not wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    Province decisions will receive a thorough overhaul to make them more interesting.
    hail to the great dev team!

Back from moderation hell midget_roxx's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Whats the new "man" on the right of the spy symbol?

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

hmm there is a lot of lost french provinces here it seems :/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast