+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Buccaneers (playing as pirates)

  1. #1

    Post Buccaneers (playing as pirates)

    This thread should be used to discuss everything to do with the Buccaneer System and also pirate spy missions.
    Last edited by Darken; 08-12-2009 at 08:50.

  2. #2
    Field Marshal spl's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,945

    Post Buccaneers (playing as pirates)

    what are you supposed to do as buccaneers??? its impossible to get anything off of spain

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by spl
    what are you supposed to do as buccaneers??? its impossible to get anything off of spain
    you are right, i dont know if it is possible to edit the warscores for spain (or any country). while i play tested i had the same problem.

    attacking pagan countries works (while a bit unrealistic), if you want land.

    i think netherlands, england and france would be easier to take land from since they have less colonies but this probably would involve attacking them in europe also

    this is one reason i made the looting events as the income (ever notice 100 ducats mysteriously appear when you control enemy land?). i suppose half the fun is just surviving and trying to make a big fleet

    this does give me a idea for events that make spain scede provinces to the BUC, if the BUC control them. unfortunately it is not possible yet to make peace with countries in a event. maybe this will be one of the next things i work on (giving BUC land via events). anyway, thanks for giving me this idea

    edit: i just finished the conquest events for the release of 3.19 (few days probably). this event will give provinces to you from the enemy while you control them (may take years).
    Last edited by Darken; 30-07-2007 at 22:27.

  4. #4
    Dei Gratia author dharper's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Province #989 (EU3)
    Posts
    14,548
    "Reformed Privateer Commonwealth"?
    A mod for Europa Universalis IV that enhances religion in the age of faith and reason
    Want to play as a Sikh? Want Jewish minorities? Want a turbulent Reformation? This mod is for you.
    Game concepts explained on the Wiki
    Current status: 98% complete and compatible with Conquest of Paradise
    Download available April 9, 2014) or subscribe on Steam to get updates automatically
    Project Cryptic: 10% complete

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by dharper
    "Reformed Privateer Commonwealth"?
    thats what the Buccaneer can change into if they get enough provinces. I think it is 12 provinces. Its all under the theory of what would have happened to the Buccaneer if they started to create a nation. By the year 1700 if the RPC is not created then almost every Nation that has provinces in the new world declare war on the Buccaneer to eliminate them like they historicly were. The Buccaneer events can be turned off BTW.

  6. #6
    Had a quick game with the Buccaneers yesterday. As soon as I started, The Netherlands DOW'd me. So I kicked them out of Curacao. After that I DOW'd Spain and kicked them of the island. Then I had a small peace time. But not soon after, The Netherlands AGAIN DOW'd me. So I kicked them out of St Martin and Surinam. Took all those provinces. That's when I noticed that The Netherlands and Portugal had been fighting a war all that time and Portugal lost a lot of territory in South America. Figured I'd get rough times against the Dutch.

    It was, however, the last time they attacked me. Actually, While they were attacking Portugal in the east and southwards, I attacked them from Surinam and took the few lands that weren't occupied bu the Dutch.

    Enjoyed it, got wiped out by the Spanish in the end, together with Austria. I was surprised to see Austrians land on Curacao.

    It was a test game, but I have to say, the Buccaneers are definately a fun faction. I'll do them again in the future, but then I'll be a bit more concentrated.
    I saw that after a while of occupance, the province gets mine. Same as in MMG, same sort of event I guess. Or is it only Buccaneers that have that? Anyhow, good move.

    I've definately added TN to my list, together with TOT21, Merlin's graphics, MMG and Alex's loadingscreens. It's my list of must have's for EU3.
    My must-have's:
    Ubik & co's Magna Mundi
    Darken's Terra Nova
    Pishtaco's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum
    Merlin's graphics mod
    Alexspeed's custom "Dutch ships "loadingscreens

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Patje.lol
    Had a quick game with the Buccaneers yesterday. As soon as I started, The Netherlands DOW'd me. So I kicked them out of Curacao. After that I DOW'd Spain and kicked them of the island. Then I had a small peace time. But not soon after, The Netherlands AGAIN DOW'd me. So I kicked them out of St Martin and Surinam. Took all those provinces. That's when I noticed that The Netherlands and Portugal had been fighting a war all that time and Portugal lost a lot of territory in South America. Figured I'd get rough times against the Dutch.

    It was, however, the last time they attacked me. Actually, While they were attacking Portugal in the east and southwards, I attacked them from Surinam and took the few lands that weren't occupied bu the Dutch.

    Enjoyed it, got wiped out by the Spanish in the end, together with Austria. I was surprised to see Austrians land on Curacao.

    It was a test game, but I have to say, the Buccaneers are definately a fun faction. I'll do them again in the future, but then I'll be a bit more concentrated.
    I saw that after a while of occupance, the province gets mine. Same as in MMG, same sort of event I guess. Or is it only Buccaneers that have that? Anyhow, good move.

    I've definately added TN to my list, together with TOT21, Merlin's graphics, MMG and Alex's loadingscreens. It's my list of must have's for EU3.
    Im Glad to hear that I made your list of favorite mods. yes, This is a event that fires for the nation that owns the province that the Buccaneers control. I did the event this way so as to not bother the Buccaneer player and inform the other nation. Only the Buccaneer have a event like this in TN and I do not think that I will ever give a event like this to other nations.

    I think I may need to do something about the lack of ships for the Buccaneer because my last test seemed to make it realy hard to keep a surviving fleet. The free ships that the Buccaneer can get are because of a spy mission that is much like the pirate spy missions. This means any nation can give the Buccaneer ships. Any Nation can also make the buccaneer go to war with any other nation (in the new world) with a spy mission. This is meant to keep the Buccaneer at a near constant state of war.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Darken
    Im Glad to hear that I made your list of favorite mods. yes, This is a event that fires for the nation that owns the province that the Buccaneers control. I did the event this way so as to not bother the Buccaneer player and inform the other nation. Only the Buccaneer have a event like this in TN and I do not think that I will ever give a event like this to other nations.

    I think I may need to do something about the lack of ships for the Buccaneer because my last test seemed to make it realy hard to keep a surviving fleet. The free ships that the Buccaneer can get are because of a spy mission that is much like the pirate spy missions. This means any nation can give the Buccaneer ships. Any Nation can also make the buccaneer go to war with any other nation (in the new world) with a spy mission. This is meant to keep the Buccaneer at a near constant state of war.
    It's good that only the Buccaneers have it. Does sound logical to, they just seize it, as if it's a colony. After all, pirates can be seen like some sort of rebels.

    About the ships, I agree. It's hard to keep a fleet. In my little test game, I had to replace the complete fleet twice in a relative short period. It's not the costs that make it tough to replace them, it's the building time. Obviously every nation suffers from it, but for pirates they are a bit more important. To mee, at least.
    The spy mission, I haven't checked that yet. It's named letter of Marque, right? Remember that from Sid Meier's Pirates.

    They do seem to stick to me. It's refreshing to play like that, feels different.
    My must-have's:
    Ubik & co's Magna Mundi
    Darken's Terra Nova
    Pishtaco's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum
    Merlin's graphics mod
    Alexspeed's custom "Dutch ships "loadingscreens

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Patje.lol
    About the ships, I agree. It's hard to keep a fleet. In my little test game, I had to replace the complete fleet twice in a relative short period. It's not the costs that make it tough to replace them, it's the building time. Obviously every nation suffers from it, but for pirates they are a bit more important. To mee, at least.
    The spy mission, I haven't checked that yet. It's named letter of Marque, right? Remember that from Sid Meier's Pirates.
    yeah, letter of marque. I have SM pirates too, but I havent played it in a long time....perhaps I should dust it off lol.

    you are right about the build time. maybe I will reduce the build time somewhat for the Buccaneer so that ship building is faster.

  10. #10
    Are the Buccaneers working as intended? I've tried to get a couple games going as them and for some reason I don't recall getting any free ships or anything. I've seen ship missions and pirate missions with ships and stuff, they have the BUC flag, but I don't control them. Also seem to just sit there and fire the pay your crew event as the only one I get after the initial piracy one until I go broke. War with Spain doesn't go great either. They're so huge they drop like 20k guys on Tortuga immediately after going to war with them.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacalon
    Are the Buccaneers working as intended? I've tried to get a couple games going as them and for some reason I don't recall getting any free ships or anything. I've seen ship missions and pirate missions with ships and stuff, they have the BUC flag, but I don't control them. Also seem to just sit there and fire the pay your crew event as the only one I get after the initial piracy one until I go broke. War with Spain doesn't go great either. They're so huge they drop like 20k guys on Tortuga immediately after going to war with them.
    Thanks for the input

    well, Last time I checked (which may have been in NA expansion), the spy mission that gives them ships 'letter of marque' i think, did indeed give BUC free ships. The problem might be that perhaps the AI is not using this spy mission anymore (the AI used it in NA).

    I think the vanilla Pirates ( PIR ) have the same flag as the Buccaneer has, so is this possibly what you are seeing? otherwise, I am confused.

    In oder to gain provinces or money with the Buccaneer, you have to control enemy provinces during a war. did you do this?

    I must admit that I have not tested the Buccaneer much after doing the initial 3.0 changes concerning the Buccaneer. I am not realy sure how to adress this issue about Spain (and I agree that something needs to be done because I never see the BUC succeed anymore). I could increase BUC defensiveness, morale, discipline, forcelimits, manpower, tax, or anything that might combat the initial spanish wars but I am not realy sure what to change and how much. do you have any ideas on what would be best? The changes that I would make would be to the Buccaneer government (privateer i think) in the mod/terra nova/common/governments.txt file. You could try playing around with the effects in the BUC government until you find something that works without overpowering the BUC and then let me know this would help me alot. otherwise, it may be a week or so before I can test the BUC and balance them.

  12. #12
    I think maybe the issue might be the mission and the AI is using the old pirate mission instead of the new one. Is there supposed to be a flag to disable the old one when the Bucs are around? Maybe that's failing for some reason? As far as balancing goes I have no idea. Seem to run out of money early on before you can field enough of an army to take on Spain. I think maybe the reason the Bucs are failing the most though is because of the lack of free ships. It's really hard to take on spain without a fleet and it takes forever to build one up large enough to take them on. The free ships might help and give the Bucs a chance to blockade the island and not have to worry about Spain landing a huge army on it, ya know?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacalon
    I think maybe the issue might be the mission and the AI is using the old pirate mission instead of the new one. Is there supposed to be a flag to disable the old one when the Bucs are around? Maybe that's failing for some reason? As far as balancing goes I have no idea. Seem to run out of money early on before you can field enough of an army to take on Spain. I think maybe the reason the Bucs are failing the most though is because of the lack of free ships. It's really hard to take on spain without a fleet and it takes forever to build one up large enough to take them on. The free ships might help and give the Bucs a chance to blockade the island and not have to worry about Spain landing a huge army on it, ya know?
    it should be impossible to make pirates in the new world if the BUC exist, at least this was my intentions. Yes, it does sound like the main problem is ships. perhaps i could just make them almost free and almost instantly built for the BUC. this would not be all that ahistorical either, because it would be like a new pirate working in the area with thier base port being tortuga. I will try this method. thanks for the idea.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Darken
    it should be impossible to make pirates in the new world if the BUC exist, at least this was my intentions. Yes, it does sound like the main problem is ships. perhaps i could just make them almost free and almost instantly built for the BUC. this would not be all that ahistorical either, because it would be like a new pirate working in the area with thier base port being tortuga. I will try this method. thanks for the idea.
    Yeah, I remember reading in one of your posts that this should be the case.. and at one point I bet it was. But for some reason it seems broken with IN and the AI is definitely hiring normal pirates and not BUC related ones, which I think is what's severely messing up the balance of being/having a BUC nation. Think there's a way to fix it?

    And gotta be careful to not make them too cheap and fast to build otherwise the Bucs will rip up the area.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacalon
    Yeah, I remember reading in one of your posts that this should be the case.. and at one point I bet it was. But for some reason it seems broken with IN and the AI is definitely hiring normal pirates and not BUC related ones, which I think is what's severely messing up the balance of being/having a BUC nation. Think there's a way to fix it?

    And gotta be careful to not make them too cheap and fast to build otherwise the Bucs will rip up the area.
    well, the other problem is that the game generates pirates without using the spy mission also. There is no way for modders to change how the game generated pirates appear, we can only change the spy mission pirates. This is probably why you are seeing pirates in the carribean in the Buccaneer scenario. So, I guess there is no way to fix this that I can think of

    yeah, it will definately take some balancing.

    you can try replacing the mod/terra nova/common/governments.txt file with this attached one, maybe this will help. I have not tested it yet so ships may be too cheap now. I might also need to increase BUC naval forcelimits but im not sure.
    Last edited by Darken; 14-08-2009 at 01:43.

  16. #16
    9.54 will have a much more balanced Buccaneer situation but it will still be a challange against spain.

  17. #17
    Ruler of the Queen's Navee George LeS's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4,609
    I am very interested in the way you handle pirates/buccaneers. Studying your events &c still leaves me confused on how it works. E.g., how do you get the AI to work the privateer spy mission? I've already skimmed & searched the thread, but am still unclear.

    Would you be kind enough to give a brief synopsis of how your system works?
    'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.' -- the Water Rat

    GRIN Mod--Historical leaders mods: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...46994-GRIN-Mod

    Rex Maris--SRI-based naval and exploration mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...4#post11451354

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by George LeS View Post
    I am very interested in the way you handle pirates/buccaneers. Studying your events &c still leaves me confused on how it works. E.g., how do you get the AI to work the privateer spy mission? I've already skimmed & searched the thread, but am still unclear.

    Would you be kind enough to give a brief synopsis of how your system works?
    The AI has hard coding (unchangable) that makes it like certain typies of spy mission better than others. in TN mod, the ai does not do the pirate missions that often.

    the AI will always do spy missions unless there is a modifier with a factor = 0.
    for instance the AI will make pirates in the coasts of nations they do not like and who are not allies as below (as long as the spy-er has a port and not high badboy):
    Code:
    modifier = {
    			factor = 0
    			NOT = {
    				sea_zone = { 
    					#NOT = { units_in_province = 1} 
    					NOT = {
    						any_neighbor_province = {
    							OR = {
    								owned_by = THIS 
    								owner = { alliance_with = THIS }
    							}
    						}
    					}
    				}
    			}
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 0
    			badboy = 0.75
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 0
    			owner = { relation = { who = THIS value = 0 } }
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 0
    			NOT = { num_of_ports = 1 }
    		}
    the buccaneer are completely different. the whole game for them runs completely different. they are forced to be in wars constantly to keep enough money to make more ships/armies/buildings/ect. the buccaneer were designed to be able to be at war constantly without any WE issues or stability problems etc. provinces get annexed by both sides in a buccaneer war during the war (without peace deals).
    Shalom
    John F. Kennedy
    "For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence--on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day."

    John 8:32
    "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
    Martin Luther King
    "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is aproaching spiritual death."

  19. #19
    Ruler of the Queen's Navee George LeS's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Darken View Post
    The AI has hard coding (unchangable) that makes it like certain typies of spy mission better than others. in TN mod, the ai does not do the pirate missions that often.

    the AI will always do spy missions unless there is a modifier with a factor = 0.
    for instance the AI will make pirates in the coasts of nations they do not like and who are not allies as below (as long as the spy-er has a port and not high badboy):
    Code:
    modifier = {
    			factor = 0
    			NOT = {
    				sea_zone = { 
    					#NOT = { units_in_province = 1} 
    					NOT = {
    						any_neighbor_province = {
    							OR = {
    								owned_by = THIS 
    								owner = { alliance_with = THIS }
    							}
    						}
    					}
    				}
    			}
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 0
    			badboy = 0.75
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 0
    			owner = { relation = { who = THIS value = 0 } }
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 0
    			NOT = { num_of_ports = 1 }
    		}
    the buccaneer are completely different. the whole game for them runs completely different. they are forced to be in wars constantly to keep enough money to make more ships/armies/buildings/ect. the buccaneer were designed to be able to be at war constantly without any WE issues or stability problems etc. provinces get annexed by both sides in a buccaneer war during the war (without peace deals).
    Thanks. Now, what do I need to do do add these features to my own private mod? E.g., will just the events/locs & BUC file do, or are there hidden features I might miss?
    'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.' -- the Water Rat

    GRIN Mod--Historical leaders mods: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...46994-GRIN-Mod

    Rex Maris--SRI-based naval and exploration mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...4#post11451354

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by George LeS View Post
    Thanks. Now, what do I need to do do add these features to my own private mod? E.g., will just the events/locs & BUC file do, or are there hidden features I might miss?
    The buccaneer system is very complex. its not just events. you would need to add the two BUC governments, 2 or 3 additional pirate spy missions (if the BUC exist then no normal pirates can be made in the new world with spy missions). TN Bucc.txt will be needed along with the RPC event from TN nations.txt. there are some decisions for the BUC as well and just about every decision needs to be disabled for the Buccaneer so you might as well use TN missions and decisions only. people dont realize it, but it realy has been a lot of work for me to get the Buccaneer to its proper place in TN mod. You should also include my piracy events (support or fight piracy) in the TN State,txt file. You will also need the free religion and agnostic religion to properly emulate the Buccaneer like TN mod does. There are many, many events that are disabled for the Buccaneer because those events simply are not practicle for the Buccaneer. therefore, you may be better off just adopting all or most of the TN mod events. In the end, IMO, you are probably better off just customizing TN mod instead of trying to use such a complex imbedded system like the Buccaneer in your own mod.

    you could even do like Urcules does and provide a patch for TN mod for others to enjoy your work (i would prefer patches because I do not want TN mod distributed by others even if it is 50% modified).
    Last edited by Darken; 22-03-2009 at 23:14.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts