• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I had also could¡'t avoid some feeling of having a modern "300" reading :D

That will leave you with at least one ally at the mainland.

Always wonder just how those Italians manage to screw up any invasion they attempt :D.

Katsumoto might have aides (as in aides-de-camp etc) an aid is a device or tool. :S Otherwise very good. I love how the greeks are running to the front 'because we're greeks damnit' That's some badass morale building!

Indeed. The good man has aids .... wait theres a difference !?!?! :p

Morale isn't hard to find amongst the Greeks. About 7000 of them fought off a million turks. Now pit 500 000 against the French, Italians and other members of the Bloc. Not that hard to have great morale :)

Fine shouting bastardry from the Greek sergeant there, though I must confess I read a great deal of hist dialogue in a '300' style mad shout. While I thing it improved the scene it probably wasn't what you intended. ;)

I actually hadn't thought of that when I wrote it ... Greek Badassery hasn't changed a whole lot.

I had also could¡'t avoid some feeling of having a modern "300" reading :D

Interesting ... there'll be more where it came from ;)

The moral of the story:

It's good to have fighting Greeks on your side.

The moral of the AAR:

Don't mess with the Samurai

That will leave you with at least one ally at the mainland.

Always wonder just how those Italians manage to screw up any invasion they attempt :D.

Well ... for now at least ... ;)

Europe in Flames - Part 9

September 17 1936 …

Stockholm, Sweden …

“Lord Katsumoto, I must say that I was surprised when I saw you. I was expecting someone of more ..”
“Oriental decent ? Do not worry. My parents emigrated from England to Japan after the Treaty of Tokyo. My father was transferred there alongside other forces. We became citizens as a favour of the embassy, if I dare admit it” responded Katsumoto.
“Well, if that is the case then how on earth did you become a Samurai ? Is it not true that they only accept Japanese into their ranks ?” asked the King of Sweden.
“On the contrary, anyone who impresses or bests them in combat may be invited to join them. My father bested a group of 3 of them in what might be called a bar fight. Naturally, they were impressed with his skills and … drinking abilities”
A laugh from the dignitaries surrounding him reassured him that he was speaking the right, aristocratic tone. “So then, if you don’t mind me asking, where do your loyalties lie ? Both a British and a Japanese Citizen, British by blood, Japanese by birth” asked the dignitary from the United States.
“I consider my loyalties to lie with Japan and Britain. Britain is my Mother but Japan is my home” he responded.
“So then do your loyalties lie to the Emperor ?”
Katsumoto smiled. The thought of him being loyal to that dog of a man, Hirohito was laughable. In fact, he struggled to contain his laughter. “No” he paused, trying to retain his composure “ My loyalty is to Japan itself. Japan and her people, not the Emperor”
“But you support the Crown?” asked the Finnish Ambassador.
“I support the Emperor of Japan as I support the King of England. They are both my Lords and I have sworn, as a part of my oath to the Samurai, to defend each of them” Katsumoto said. He spoke with concentration on those before him, but from the corner of his eye he could see the dignitaries of nations in the war were entering a scuffle. The German, British and Greek Ambassador’s were being approached by those of France, Czechoslovakia and Italy.
From behind him came his date for the evening. One of the Princess’ of Sweden came up behind him and spoke into his ear.
“Katsumoto, I have not seen you for so long. I hardly recognised you”
“Ah, Erica. Here you are” he said, turning around to see her. Before him stood one of his longest friends and a previous lover. As he turned he saw her, looking as beautiful as the day from which he had departed her in 1927. She smiled and curtsied in her blue silk dress.
“Silk ? Japanese ?”
“Chinese” she said with a wink.
“Well, I will hand it to the Chinese. They do make incredible Silk” he responded, looking both the dress and her, up and down. Apparently aware of the history between them, the Swedish King spoke to them all in his usual aristocratic tone, interrupting the laughter of some of the women who had been listening.
“If I am not mistaken, the main dance shall begin within a few minutes” he gestured towards the grand hall and the dignitaries around him took the arm of their lady and set off for the hall.
“May I have this dance ?” asked Katsumoto, knowing full well what the answer would be.
“Of course, if you dance as you used to then I presume we shall both enjoy it” she said.
Katsumoto needed no further invitation. He took her arm and walked her towards the hall.
“So, Marcus, what have you been doing since we last met in person?”

** A more peaceful update - bringing the past back to Katsumoto's present. You'll see a lot of the past affecting this present. :) **

Katsumoto, a man with mixed origins... Amazing that a man with Barbarian ancestry has risen so high.

So he's japanese but he has round eyes and is on par with europeans in height?

Haha !

His father was a Major in the British Army who was brought from Britain and stationed in Japan. While there, he and his wife gave birth to a baby boy and the father was accepted into the Samurai. The Samurai taught the father their ways and began to teach the child once he was old enough.
Due to that, he is English by blood but was born in Japan. He thinks of himself as Japanese, though he doesn't share their features.Its how the whole issue of dual loyalties rise up. Due to his uncommon origins, he is often caught between issues with the British Crown and the Japanese Imperial Government.

Europe in Flames - Part 10​

September 23 1936 …

London, England …

“Bloody hell. I’ve been in office for 6 days and already I’m having to deal with a total collapse in Germany.” Neville Chamberlain sighed as he sat back in his chair, thinking of what to do. He new that Germany was going to collapse. It was only a matter of time. The French had rolled on through the low countries and across the Maginot Line while Germany sought to knock out Poland and establish a manageable eastern front. Their plan knocked out the Allies command structure and they were moving fast enough to end the war by Christmas.
“Indeed, Prime Minister. It seems that Versailles was detrimental to the Germans and a damnation to the British Empire. Hell if they were half as prepared as they were for the First World War, we would be rolling through Paris and signing the French surrender after 2 weeks” said Anthony Eden.
“I do not think that we should be so pessimistic. The Royal Navy will be able to protect England and our colonies. It is also my belief that Germany will last several months before any collapse is suffered. That should give us time to prepare our own defences” said the Lord of the Admiralty, Winston Churchill.
“Indeed Churchill, it would seem that the Royal Navy will indeed be able to defend us. However, I want you to ensure that we will not suffer invasion. I need your assurance that the Navy will be able to halt and deny any invasion attempt” said Neville, standing up and pacing about the room.
“I can guarantee that the Navy will fight to the last before an invasion of the Home Islands take place. I cannot guarantee that the Army will be able to hold back any landing forces that escape our guns” Churchill retorted.
“I have assurances from them that they will do their best”
“Sometimes, Prime Minister, our best is not enough. Sometimes, we must do what is required”

BritishIslesFront-September23.jpg

Irish Forces have seized control of Northern Ireland. An event widely publicized and celebrated in Dublin. Prime Minister McQuin gave a public address and congratulated the army for their bravery and resolution to free their oppressed brothers in the North. In reality, the Irish Army faced only a minor garrison and small resistance from the locals.

“What about the Middle East ? What is our situation there ?” asked the Prime Minister.
“Our forces are hard pressed in fighting. Turkish and French troops are pressing on us from the North and the Italians are driving on us from Libya. Our spies also report that they may be preparing for an amphibious invasion. We don’t know where but we suspect Alexandria”
“Can you defend it ?”
“No. We have 3 Divisions to commit to the whole of the Middle Eastern and African Front. Unless you can get me reinforcements … I don’t see how we can possibly make progress in the theatre”
“What about India ? Can you draw forces from India ?”
“I might be able to, but the Chinese will be driving on us and the Persians have already declared war on us” finished the Secretary of War Leslie Hore-Belisha.
“So then, Britain stands to see her Empire diminished to nothing and to see a growing and ever more powerful French Bloc across Europe and the World”

MiddleEasternFront-September23.jpg

In the opening phases of the War, North Africa and the Middle East were the only fronts on which the British forces were not in retreat or were advancing. However, the Prime Minister Chamberlain was more cautious than his advisors asked of him. Rather than pushing forces into Turkey, he isolated a French Army, occupied Syria and Lebanon and then waited along the Turkish border.

“What options do we have ?”
“I would suggest reinforcing Greece, Gibraltar and awaiting aid from Japan. If you can bring more forces to Britain and North Africa then we can allow the Dominions to provide the defences for India and undefended colonies alongside providing troops for general defence. However, I cannot see the Dominions being able to commit large amounts of troops. The Rumanians and the Greeks are our best hopes for opposition in Europe. If we can stem the opposition in Europe then we have a chance to tie down their forces before Operations in Africa and the Middle East reach their zenith”
“Leslie, I cannot see myself agreeing to that” responded Neville.
“Neither can I. Britain must be our top priority. With Ireland on our doorstep we cannot wait for an Invasion. We must prepare our defences in the Home Islands and across the World or else we will see a collapse of the British Empire and a decent by the world into French dominance. Regardless of how long we defend, so long as we do defend then we will be able to strike back eventually” retorted Churchill.
“Churchill, your proposition abandons our allies in their time of need”
“What good can we do for our allies if our homeland is occupied and our Empire broken ?”
“Enough. I will take both of your suggestions into deep consideration. I assure you gentleman the Britain will emerge from this war the victor. Regardless of how long it takes or how alone we may become in our struggle, Britain will emerge with final victory”

Athens, Greece …

“And the Zeus Line is holding ? You are telling me that Greece may survive longer than we had first assumed ?”
“So long as Bloc attention remains fixed elsewhere, then yes. Greece may yet survive this war” answered the Greek Minister of Defence.
“Wonderful. What was our last casualty report ?”
“Forces report that we suffered some 10 000 casualties and inflicted a combined total of 45 000 approximate enemy casualties. It seems that Edessa in particular is a strong point in the line”
“That is good to hear. How about the Romanians ? Have they made any progress ?”
“They are making some progress. Largely against Poland it seems. They are also doing well against Yugoslavia. With any luck Rumania and Greece will remain intact and draw forces away from other theatres, allowing the British to assualt France itself and Italy”
“That seems somewhat optimistic to me”
“Look at this map. Do you see the positions … we have hell about to come down on top of us”

BalkanFront-September23.jpg

Greek Forces managed to hold the Zeus Line throughout all of 1936. At times, they even managed to push into enemy territory.​

Valencia, Spain …

“So we are in full retreat on all fronts …”
“Yes, whenever our forces encounter French attacks we retreat. We just cannot fight the combined strength of the rebels and France. Perhaps if Britain was not busy fighting in Africa then we might receive more aid, but as it stands, our forces are largely militia and they just can’t fight alongside professional soldiers”
“Show me”

SpanishCivilWar-September23.jpg

The Spanish Civil War had originally been conceived to be an inevitable Republican Victory. When France entered the war, the tables were turned on the Republican Army.

“The loss of Madrid is bound to take a hit on our morale” said one of the General’s.
“Of course it will. It was the god damn Capital and it’s fallen to the rebels” complained the President of Spain.
“So then we are to fight to the end ?”
“It seems we have no other choice”

Berlin, Germany …

“Damn the bastard French. Damn the lot of them” said the President of Germany, Carl Goerdeler. German forces had been continuously pushed back by the French Army across the entire front. Frankfurt had fallen yesterday.
“It would appear that France is nearing a breakthrough opportunity on our Western Front” said Ludwig Beck. Although he was not a part of the war Cabinet, he had been called to brief the President.
“And in the East ? I assume we are faring better against the Poles ?” asked the President, his voiced mumbled somewhat as he held his head in his hands.
“We are making progress. We are on the outskirts of Warsaw, however we simply don’t have a large enough Army to capture the city or to knock Poland out of the Bloc. If the war had begun in 1940 or 1938 then we may have been able to accomplish our goals but so close to the agreement ending the Versailles Treaty ? No. We have been set up to lose” summarised Ludwig Beck.
“That’s great” commented Carl. “So what the hell are we going to do about it ?”
“We have nothing new that we can do. If by some Miracle we manage to knock France out of the war then we may be able to halt Germany with our entire Army but before then I doubt there is much chance of that” said Ludwig Beck.
Carl Goerdeler stood from his chair and walked towards the window. He stared out for several seconds. As if he was seeing the future ebb and flow outside his room.
“Then Germany has been doomed. Even before this war was declared we were fighting a lost cause. Were we not ?”
“It would seem that way Sir”
“Beck, do what you can. But be prepare to leave if need be. God knows that Germany isn’t a land we can call safe these days”

GermanFront-September23.jpg
PolishFront-September23.jpg

Despite having recently begun a rearmament program, the German army was forced to fight the French, Czechs and Polish in a multi front war. The sheer number of fronts and unpreparedness for such a large war has left the German People with little morale and a deep sense of inevitable defeat.

** A screenshot heavy update today. In fact I think that is the first screenshot including update to date. Regardless, you can all see where the war against the French Juggernaut is going. Napoleon would be proud. **

It seems that the Germans are screwed. I still don't know why they tried to advance on Poland when they had the French on the other side with a larger army.

Good for the Greeks and the Romanians though.

What's the Soviets position in this war?

Blimey things are looking a bit of a mess in Europe, not looking good for the Allies, even the few bright points (Greece) look like being extinguished in the near future.

Don't despair ze Germans.

The Brits will save you, by reconquering your land from ze evil Frenchmongers!

...U hope...

Germany beating beaten by the French :eek:. Generations of Germans will look back in shame...

Europe in Flames - Part 11

September 24 1936 …

Stockholm, Sweden …

Katsumoto looked at Erica as she lay on the bed. He had been away from her for so long that he had almost forgotten how much he had once loved her. Had he ever stopped loving her ? Could he have ? Maybe things would have gone further. Hell, he had royal ties from his father. Who know’s where they would be now if the Swedish King hadn’t planned to marry her off to some Norwegian. Poor bugger had gone and got himself killed in a fire at a gala in 1929.
He reached out and brushed Erica’s hair off of her face. Such beauty. How could he have left her when he did ? Why did he listen to her father ? It didn’t matter now. They were doing what they wanted. What they had always wanted. They were preparing to leave Stockholm, to leave Sweden. They were going to go to Japan together.
Erica sighed as he rested his hand on her head and leaned over to kiss her. “We should have done this ages ago” she said opening her blue eyes.
“Don’t worry. They won’t suspect anything. Besides, they can’t stop us now” he said trying to reassure her.
“Are you sure? My father wouldn’t let us get out. He would have someone make sure that we wouldn’t be able to” she said. Her gentle eyes showing her concern.
He put his finger on her lips. Trying to calm her. “Marcus, I love you” she said looking deep into his eyes. He smiled.
“I love you too” he said. She smiled at him and laughed as she rolled over onto his chest. He wrapped his hands around her and slid his right hand down her smooth back.
“So, Lord Marcus of the Shogun” she said, their kisses interrupting her speech, “What do you do when a lady is in love with you?”
The two stopped for a second, Erica looked down on him, holding herself above him. Katsumoto thought for a second, bringing his hand down to her right cheek. She bit her lip, enjoying his touch. “What I do, when I love a woman, who loves me, is exactly what every other man does”
“And what would that be ?”
“I enjoy it” he said, kissing her. She laughed for a second before the night’s pleasures began.

Tokyo, Japan …

Hirohito was standing on the balcony of his Palace. He had been waiting for some time now. Waiting for the man who would help him take back his government. To reclaim his country. The bastard Katsumoto was still in Europe. Supposedly rushing to Japan while avoiding the French Bloc. The French invasion of Spain and Germany had changed everything. Germany had been caught before she was prepared for war and Britain was vastly under strength for any sort of conflict. Japan was ready to leap to the world.
Hirohito knew where he stood and he knew where Katsumoto stood. Naturally, Katsumoto wanted to aid the British and fight the French. Unfortunately that would be conflicting with Hirohito’s plans of invading British territories and Australia to establish a greater Japanese Empire. If Japan stood with Britain then she would fall. It was the only possible occurrence. He would not let that happen. He would bring Japan to her rightful place.
The sound of steps behind him signalled that his man had arrived. The Empire turned to see him. A man clad in a black robe and raised hood was before him, a dark cloth covering the lower half of his face. “The Ninja understand that you have a proposal. An offer for us. What would this be ?” asked the man.
Hirohito smiled dryly. “You and your people have long served the Emperor of Japan”
“We serve the highest bidder”
“Exactly. If you can complete the task I give you then you will receive payment beyond your imagination. You will be given scrolls from Tibet and temples in India. You will be given free reign of Australia and New Zealand. Is there anything more that your organisation could want ? Power and Knowledge ? It is what you strive for, is it not ?”
“This is indeed a high bid. What would you have us do ?”
“Your Master is already aware. Has he not told you ?”
“I need to here it from you. I am the assassin”
“But if you die, you will be replaced”
“I assure you that no one can do it, if I can not”
“That is reassuring. But I still need to know”
“Yes. If by some freak occurrence I fail, they will send everything they have at him. They will not stop until he is dead and you have your empire”
“Good. There is someone else I want you take care of as well”
“Oh ? Who might that be ?”
“His whore. Some Swedish royal. I want them both dead. Dead and History. Will you do it ?”
“For the Ninja, I swear we will do it. Or we will die trying”
“Good” Hirohito turned around and looked over his city. Tokyo. It was finally his. Japan and all her empire was his and his alone. He would have it. He would expand it.
He would rule it.

** Love and Evil are afoot in Land of the Samurai. Which one will win out ? :p **

How reassuring, Hirohito continues to be an utter arse who should be strung up as a warning to others.

Fortunately as Katsumoto has no problem with barbarically butchering defenceless and unarmed men I am sure he will quite happily kill off the Emperor once he gets back to Japan. Should be interesting.

I hope Hirohito gets his scrawny little arse fired into a French Battleship by a Kate.

I hope Hirohito gets his scrawny little arse fired into a French Battleship by a Kate.

Or at least gets a heavy bill. You know, traveling rates, meal taxes, weapon surcharges, taxes that are there for no reason, etc.

I bet that Homer Simpson would be a better emperor than this Homer Simpson.

Hell, even Mo would.