• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm in. I wonder what a modern samurai looks like...
Modern samuri????? That's more futerustic. Someone post a pic of samurai jack
Hahahaha, that's an american square faced famurai :p
:p
I can imagine a "Bondish" character in a tuxedo. A .357 magnum or desert eagle hidden in his jacket and a highly decorated katana in his hand. In my imagination they look kinda like Yakuza bosses. :wacko:
How about a Samurai with a gun on his back and a Katana at his waist that seems much more like the Modern day samurai... Or like gun samurai in Rise of nations :rofl:

lol. I would think that if the Samurai abandoned their distinguished leather and metal Armour then I would see them wearing crazy ass Samurai esque Kevlar suits with reflective bullet proof visors, with a pair of Desert Eagles, a Katana and a G36C or a .50 cal Sniper Rifle.

Now that would be cool to see. :cool:

Interesting, most interesting. *Looks for decent beard-stroking smiley in vain*

I would support any motion to get Paradox to give us a beard stroking smiley.

modernsam.jpg

You left yourself so open for that.

As an aside, Subscribeeeed!

That is an awesome picture. As an aside, Thanks !

I wonder what kind of impact this will have on technological research.

Priority was given to the Navy and Army above the Air force. Also some more into Industrial techs and Production techs.

Part1-OldBeginningscopy.jpg

Old Beginnings - Part 1

February 7 1893 …

Treaty of Tokyo - 1893​

The British Empire hereby agrees to the terms of the treaty of Tokyo by which the British Empire and all her Dominions agree to an alliance with the Empire of Japan. In accordance with the treaty, all British troops are currently being withdrawn from the Islands of Japan and are leaving a joint Shogun - Imperial Government to foresee the development of Japan, to safeguard Japan and to further Anglo - Japanese relations in the future.

By the terms of this treaty, the United States of America will halt support of wholly Imperial government and agree to no longer interfere with interior affairs of the Empire of Japan. The Unites States of America will also cease all weapon shipments to the Empire of Japan for a period of 5 years and close any embassy’s and withdraw all diplomatic staff for the same duration.

The British Empire will also agree to return all confiscated material sent to Japan by the United States of America to its original purposed receiver, the Empire of Japan. All ships and seaman currently held in Singapore will be returned to the United States per the terms of the peace treaty.

Further, in accordance with requests by both Shogun and Imperial officials, British Troops will remain in Japan with peace keepers numbering up to 35,000 to ensure safety and stability in the country

- God Save the King

September 1 1916 …

WW1Hitler.jpg

Gefreiter Adolf Hitler in World War One.

Gefreiter Adolf Hitler was sitting in the Command post of Regiment List. Officially, the 6th Bavarian Reserve Regiment, the Regiment had received its name for its commander. He had been drawing a cartoon of the enemy. The so called, Allies. A vast conglomerate of nations so keen on the downfall of Germany that they banded with other weaklings, so much so that they were a tide of men fighting against a few nations who not only held them back but were slaughtering them in their thousands. Oh Germany, so great, so strong.
The cartoon featured crawling, weak little evil creatures dragging themselves to a few men standing tall, pointing rifles at their foe. The creatures bore the flags of the Allies and the Central Powers were the men clad in their respective uniforms. It might have been the best piece he had done.
“Gefreiter Hitler !” called out an Officer.
“Ja mien Commandant ?” came his sharp reply.
“Run this to Hauptfeldwebel Feuersturm”
“Ja mien Commandant !” Hitler yelled as he grabbed the message and ran out of the Command post into the open.
To his surprise it was raining. Like it had been for as long as he could remember. Damn Belgian weather it was. Rain, rain and more rain. Despicable. Half the German casualties were probably from the weather, not those weakling French or the contemptible English. Mind the Canadians had made a name for themselves. Crazed Colonials they were.
Hitler walked over to his bicycle and mounted it, setting off in short order.
He hadn’t been riding for much more than a minute before he was exposed to heavy fire. Machine guns rattled in the distance and shells began landing all around him. He had become a target.
As fast as he could, he peddled towards the nearest cover, passing a large depression in the ground. Before he could consider jumping in, an artillery shell exploded right beside him.
Gefreiter Hitler yelled in pain as shrapnel shot into his side, sending him falling into the depression where he lay. Unable to move he lay there, losing blood and slowly yet surely, dying.

Adolf Hitler was dead.

Blimey there's a pair of big twists the second probably had to happen for a grand UK-German-Japan alliance but the first, now that does seem very intriguing.

I am a little confused about the peace treaty. What's the story behind it?

Perhpas it's a reversion of the Convention of Kanagawa and subsequent similar treaties with the Western countries in the Bakumatsu period...

Bye bye, Adolf...

BTW, is there any clue about how many times good old Adolf has been killed in our AARs? Has anyone part from him killed so many times? Stalin, perhaps...

BTW, is there any clue about how many times good old Adolf has been killed in our AARs? Has anyone part from him killed so many times? Stalin, perhaps...

That's a good point you raise. Hitler has been killed off by Remble, has been killed off by me, has been killed off by TemplarComander, etc. An interesting exception is Draco, whom wounded Hitler but didn't kill him off.

Should be interesting to see how Japan has develloped itself. The absence of the Genrou should bake Japanese politics a bit easier to understand. But what do we get in place? A Shogunate? A Tokugawa in charge would be epic indeed :D. Men like Hiranuma, Konoe, Tojo and Araki would still be around too I guess.

Blimey there's a pair of big twists the second probably had to happen for a grand UK-German-Japan alliance but the first, now that does seem very intriguing.

You are correct that he needed to be removed from the picture for a UK-German alliance. I had originally intended him to be wounded and paralyzed from the waste down to be the German Foreign Minister, but killing him was much more personally satisfying :D.

Interesting. But I thought another man was going to bite the dust rather than Adolf. Eh, still can't wait to see where this goes.

Oh ? Who did you think would be biting the dust ?

Soooooo will Goring, Hess,or Ribbentop take power or will the kaiser return

Wait and see. I think you might be surprised.

Samurais FTW!

Nice Prologue!

Thanks !

So you killed off an failed artist...

I am a little confused about the peace treaty. What's the story behind it?

It will reappear in a later chapter - along with the story of the civil war.

So during the struggle between the Empire and the Samurai, the Americans supported the Empire?

What type of American policy was that?

Yes the Americans supported the Empire and it turned out to be a mistake. A big mistake.

Perhpas it's a reversion of the Convention of Kanagawa and subsequent similar treaties with the Western countries in the Bakumatsu period...

Bye bye, Adolf...

That's a good point you raise. Hitler has been killed off by Remble, has been killed off by me, has been killed off by TemplarComander, etc. An interesting exception is Draco, whom wounded Hitler but didn't kill him off.

I had originally intended him to be wounded and paralyzed from the waste down to be the German Foreign Minister, but killing him was much more personally satisfying :D.

Should be interesting to see how Japan has develloped itself. The absence of the Genrou should bake Japanese politics a bit easier to understand. But what do we get in place? A Shogunate? A Tokugawa in charge would be epic indeed :D. Men like Hiranuma, Konoe, Tojo and Araki would still be around too I guess.

We shall see indeed. It will be in an update at one point in the near future I presume - if nothing else, you'll be able to guess at it. Tojo will be appearing. I can confirm that.

Old Beginnings - Part 2

September 3 1929 …

Katsumoto was standing behind Hirohito and listening to the speech of surrender by the Defenders of Holland occupied South East Asia. The liberation had been a long time coming. If only the Dutch had seen it sooner, perhaps they could have come to a deal. Perhaps they could have worked something out. The Portuguese had done that, released East Timor to avoid a war. Why had the Dutch not done the same ? Surely they had not wanted a war in Asia to drain their nation of whatever morale it had left. The oncoming collapse of the US stock market and the lasting effects of the first world war were draining the world. Still, this war would bring in the new era of Japan. Having been lead and executed by the shogun, they had secured their hold over Japan.
The men at the table were signing the last papers. The unconditional surrender of Dutch forces in South East Asia to overall commander of the Japanese forces in the area, Miura Anjin. The second step to the establishment of the Japanese Empire had been completed. The areas held by the Dutch would undoubtedly grant the needed resources for further conquest - specifically China. A long held place of ambition for the Japanese was their lasting defeat of the Chinese, to succeed where their ancestors had failed and to annex China. It would take time … most definitely. But it would be done.

“With this, all Dutch forces in South East Asia hereby surrender to the Japanese Commander Miura Anjin and to the Japanese Empire which he serves. My men shall be transported to Holland ? Per the agreement ?” asked Hein ter Poorten, commander of Dutch forces in the Pacific Area.
“Of course. We shall begin transporting your men back to the Netherlands in a month”

Holland-JapPeace.jpg

Dutch Commanders and the Governor of the East Indies surrendered after several months of invasion and sporadic fighting.​

“A month ? You stated the earliest possible moment. Why not immediately, right now load the boats !”
“You have no ability to make demands at this point. We said you would be returned to Holland along with your Dutch compatriots. You will be, just not yet”
“Why ? Why the hell are we waiting ? What could possibly make us have any reason to stay any longer ?”

November 7 1929 ...

Katsumoto watched as the Dutch commander walked out of his room in his fancy uniform, cleaned, pressed and washed as it were. An outfit fit for his deathbed, An outfit which would be his last. Katsumoto knew what the price for surrender was in Japan. Even if the surrender was not by a Japanese, the sentence would be given and carried out.
Katsumoto himself was in his proper dress. Dyed Armour for a man fitting his position. His great red mask pierced the soul of all those who looked into it. His Katana hung on his back with the weight of the judgement given to men. This would be his 5th sentence carried out. There was a Russian, two other Dutchmen and two Chinese who had been unfortunate enough to skirmish with Japanese units - and then lose.
Katsumoto, Hein ter Poorten and a pair of guards walked from the Dutchman’s room within the Samurai Castle out towards the courtyard. A cherry blossom tree on the south end of the courtyard swayed in the wind and the rain beat slowly on the shingles of the castle and on the ground the men walked. As they approached the center of the courtyard, one man who had been standing on the east end walked towards the Dutchman and Katsumoto.
“Hein ter Poorten, you have been sentenced to death for cowardice as a commander. For surrendering in the field you have disgraced your nation, your men, yourself and your ancestors. You must repay this dishonour with your life. Your sentence is to be carried out immediately”
At that instant, the two guards brought him to his knees and slowly backed up several steps, their guns pointed at him, as Katsumoto walked in front of him.
“Fucking Japs, your all god damn barba-” Katsumoto struck fast, slicing through Hein ter Poorten’s neck with his blade as if it were a hot blade slicing through butter. The body slumped to the side and the head rolled off, stopping two feet from the neck.
There was silence in the courtyard. Katsumoto gave a bow, the man had been a military commander. Despite his surrender, he warranted a bow. Katsumoto knew the ways of the Dutch and the west well. He had been taught by his father, a British Major who had served in Japan, the limits to which English and French commanders would fight. Naturally, the rules applied to the Dutch, Spanish and Germans all the same. If it wasn’t for Japanese code, he would not have these executions occur. Still, it was the law. If nothing else, Katsumoto would pray for him. He knew that the man had fought well, even if he had surrendered in the end.
Katsumoto planted his sword in the ground before the body of the Dutchman. “Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name …. Forgive me” he whispered.

And so it begins... And what a begin it is. See what you mean with modern samurai.

Are the names Katsumoto and Miura Anjin eastereggs of a sort, if they are I claim a cookie :D.

And so it begins... And what a begin it is. See what you mean with modern samurai.

Are the names Katsumoto and Miura Anjin eastereggs of a sort, if they are I claim a cookie :D.

Indeed. At first I was unsure if there was an easteregg. Apparently, I had indeed made it but simply forgotten. Miura Anjin is the name of one of the first Westerners to be made a Samurai (He is also British), Katsumoto is the name I shamelessly took from The Last Samurai as the Main Character's Japanese Name. You will hear his English name later in the story.

Hmm modern samurai do look like the kind of chaps who will need a thorough nuking to stop being utter barbarian bastards.

At this rate I may have to start (hopelessly) rooting for the other side. I suppose the big plus is such modern samurai probably wont have much respect for scientist or engineers so tech wise they'll be awful, thus the enraged Dutch could beat them to the A-bomb and teach them a valuable lesson about revenge. :D

A modern Christian Samurai? Puzzling and Promising.

Hmm modern samurai do look like the kind of chaps who will need a thorough nuking to stop being utter barbarian bastards.

Yeah, nothing is as civilized as nuking... ::D