• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Slyguy3129

Republican
40 Badges
Nov 18, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
From The Darkness: A Communist Hungary AAR (1st Update November 9th 2009 6:43pm CST)

Hey guys. I wanted to go ahead and make this post just to inform people who may be interested that I am planning on doing an AAR over a Communist Hungary during WW2.

This will be my first ever attempt at an AAR so fair warning, it may not be the greatest AAR or style written. But I do want to try this out, and hopefully if this AAR doesn't fit your style that a future one of mine will.

Also I wanted to give credit to two AAR'ers that have been around a while. Firstly I credit General War for giving me the idea of using one of the Balkans nations a go. His AAR over Yugoslavia (Found here The Fortress Balkan - Yugoslavia ) was very well done. He continues that same AAR format here Clash of Titans - Comintern vs. Allies . If you haven't read either of these I highly recommend them.

Secondly I wanted to credit Myth. I'm sure many of you know him, he is an excellent AAR writer and I requested if it possible to use pieces of his writing style to create my own. He has given me that permission and given me tips on getting things up and running. For those who have not read Myth's AARs here is a list to start at. Myth's AARs

Now on to the important things. I am posting this early. I am mainly waiting for 1.3 to come out before I get into this extensively, mainly because once I get into the game (with 1.2) I would be to tempted to abandon it once 1.3 comes out. That just wouldn't be fair, so I am deciding to wait until that happens. Hopefully it will be released on time, and then I can get to work on this little project.

Regarding game play, I will be using the great AI Improvement Pack to supplement the vanilla AI. Hopefully there will not be to many things that will need to be updated once 1.3 comes out, or I may wait for an update to that as well.

Well that is all I have at this point in time. Hopefully in the near future I will have a nice update for you guys. I am going to try and update either on a monthly bases (in game) or if things are to slow in the peacefully years every two months. Thanks for the read guys hope you will enjoy it!

EDIT (November 9th 2009 6:43pm CST): Made a little progress before the Monday Night Football Game, so I decided it would be fair to split this update in two to give you guys a bit of an idea of what will be going on. Hope you guys enjoy.

EDIT (November 10th 2009 2:38pmCST): I finished up the rest of the 1st update and posted it here.

Last edited:
Hey, hey, no need to advertise for me. I can do that well enough myself. ;)

Looking forward to seeing where you'll go with this, a Communist Hungary is a relatively neglected concept for AARs!

Well guys I got my laptop back from Dell and now there is a different issue apparently related to the LCD screen. There is now a diagonal line (not a visible line) from the top left to the bottom right of the screen. Everything from the top left is in the correct contrast and color scheme, but everything to the bottom right is anywhere from slightly brighter to much brighter. It almost makes you go cross-eyed. Anyways I called Dell and they say it is an issue with the current LCD screen (thank God for warranties right?!). So I am going to have to ship the laptop back off again. Since its Friday I'm sure I will not receive the box until Monday afternoon. Unfortunately what all this means is that my AAR is going to be delayed, but at least by the time I get my laptop back 1.3 will be up and running.

I current have the beta just to play around with. It is much, much faster but there are little issues that will be ironed out once the patch is released. So very good news there.

Anyways I'm sorry to the people who were looking forward to this AAR, but I promise as soon as I am able I will get this back on the road!

EDIT: Mini Update, they are going to send a tech out to replace the screen at my house. Unfortunately they want to give me a new hard drive as well. So even though I will be able to play if 1.3 comes out early next week, there will not be any point in it since I will loose all the data along with the HD. But no later than hopefully next Thursday or Friday I will have an AAR update for you guys!

Last edited:
Well guys now that 1.3 is out (currently downloading) and since I have found a nice little screenshot app I am going to begin work on this AAR.

All that's left to do now is wait for it to download, and load up my Pink Floyd Albums on WMP and its off to the races! Hoping to have a little update for you guys sometime tonight.

By the way feel free to give me constructive feedback. I can not stress this enough that this is my first AAR, and if you have any ideas on how to better it (besides posting an update :cool:) I will certainly try and fit them into my writing style if they do mesh. Anyways hope you guys enjoy this as much as I am going to enjoy playing it, and writing it!

Chapter 1: A Deal with the Red Devil Part 1

Miklos Horthy De Nagybanya was sitting in his office in Budapest when a knock on the door interrupted his concentration.

"Yes?" A short redheaded man stepped from behind the door. A look of concern vexed his young face.

"I apologize for the interruption sir, but the Soviet Foreign Minister wishes to have an audience with you." Miklos' heart skipped a beat but the veteran mind stayed his shock from appearing in his voice of his face. "Please send him in." A few tense moments passed before a middle aged heavy set man entered into the office with a small parcel in hand. His face appeared slightly older than the man, and had a slight redness to it, no doubt attributed to the rampant alcoholism in the Soviet society. The man offered his free hand in greetings. Miklos rose to his feet and took the mans hand in a strong grip, while silently hoping that his hand wasn't shaking.

"Mr. Nagybanya my name is Maksim Litvinov of the Soviet Foreign Ministry. I apologize for the suddenness of my visit to your country, but my government wishes to voice its concerns to you about situations in your region." Miklos was surprised, the man spoke very clearly and deliberately, not even a hint of an accent.

"What concerns do you wish to speak of Mr Litvinov?"

"My government believes that you would be a very powerful ally to us in this region. Naturally we would like to establish an under the table agreement to better our relations and your resource situation." Miklos' fear had been right, the Red Bear doesn't pay you an unexpected visit for no reason, unless it is going to benefit itself of course.

"How can I oblige you Minister?"

"I no doubt understand that Hungary is, shall we say a shadow of its former self. My government wishes nothing more than to see Hungary return to its rightful place."

"That is all well and good Minister but, and forgive my bluntness, what may I ask is in it for you?" A slight grin creased Maksim's face.

"You guarantee your allegiance to us of course, politically speaking."

"In what ways do you mean?"

"It has come to our attention that certain officials of yours, do not have Hungary's best interest in heart. We only wish to change that, and gain a valuable ally."

"You wish to forcibly change my cabinet members Minister? I'm afriad that is out of the question." The grin left Maksim's face.

"I was afraid you would feel that way. Allow me, if you will to be more persuasive."
* * *​

"And you can guarantee your governments blessing," Miklos asked after the lengthy conversation.

"Of course, I wouldn't be here if not after all." Miklos sighed, it was against his better judgment, but if it came down to a war between the USSR and Hungary, there would be no doubt what the outcome would be for his country.

"Then you have a deal Mr Litvinov." Maksim's grinned had returned.

"Excellent!" He reached into the parcel he had carried in."Here are somethings that my government wishes to be done, immediately if at all possible." He laid a folder on the desk which contained a number of papers in it. Miklos opened it and took a moment to shift through each one to get an idea. He truthfully liked what he saw.

"I do not believe I will have any issues with this."

"And what of your subordinates?"

"Allow me to worry about that."

"Very well then." Maksim said coming to his feet and again offering his hand." I will meet with you again, and next time I'm sure the meeting will be far less tense. Good day Mr Nagybanya."

"Good day to you as well." With that Maksim Litvinov turned and made his way out of the office. Miklos collapsed into his chair and glanced at the folder still on his desk. He would look through it later. Right now he would need to make many phone calls.
* * *​

The phone purred in his ear. Miklos flipped through the dossier that Maksim had left behind for him and took a look at the research area. Maksim had insisted that Hungary would still be autonomous but the degree with which Maksim had made his point about the research doctrines, Miklos wondered how much autonomy that would truly have.

"Omoravia?" The voice of his new Armament Minster, Bela Imredy De Omoravia, greeted him.

"Its Mik, I have some new contracts for you to fulfill."

"Of course! What are they?" Miklos shuffled through the stack of paper and held up on of them.
research.jpg

"Inform our Generals that we need to begin reseearch to increase our Operational Level Origination. See what they can do with arming our soldier with better fighting equipment as well. Also get with the Chief of the Air force and have him look into better equipping them with a new driving system. This is of the utmost of importance! And Bela, make sure that any updates are forwarded to my desk."

"I'll get right on it Mik. Anything else?"

"No that is all." With that Miklos placed the phone back on its receiver. He looked at the papers spread out across his desk and busied himself with studying them once more.
* * *​

January the 8th was another relatively frigid day, continuing the rather cool winter Hungary had been having. The red phone on Miklos' desk purred. Another one of Maksim's addition was a red phone that directly connected Miklos to Maksim's office in the Kremlin in Moscow. He reached for it, with almost a sense of dread.

"Nagybanya?"

"How is the weather today?" Indeed it was Maksim as Miklos had thought.

"Frigid I'm afraid."

"I all to well understand. How are the new policies going?"

"They were meat with no resistance what so ever. Of course there were some who were unhappy, but that was expected."
majorchanges.jpg

politicalsituation.jpg

"Well I have good news for you Miklos."

"And what good news is that?"

"A rather lucrative trade deal between our countries has been agreed to here, and is awaiting your approval." Miklos was surprised, he hadn't expected the Soviets to uphold their end of the bargain quite so quickly. He listened as Maksim went over the details of the deal.

sovietdeal.jpg

"I hope everything is to your liking?"

"Yes it is. This will do a great deal with stabilizing our Economy, but I am concerned about the cost. I am not sure we will be able to sustain that for very long."

"Do not worry Miklos, in the future we will discuss ways of balancing that out." So how that did not quite put Miklos at ease but he decided against pressing the issue. "And what did your Generals think of the next Hungarian Empire?"

"I am scheduled to meet with them over lunch. I will discuss it with them then. But I doubt they will have many concerns over it. A warrior is never afraid of a fight."

"Very well then. I will speak with you later concerning that. I'm afraid I must cut our conversation short, I have issues which I must attend to."

"Of course Maksim." Miklos heard the line disconnect. Maybe this had not been such a bad decision after all.

Last edited:
Chapter 1: A Deal with the Red Devil Part 2

Miklos walked into the meeting room, his Chiefs of Staff were already there, smoking cigars. They all came to attention as he walked in.

modifiedpoliticalsituat.jpg

"As you were gentlemen. As you are aware Hungary is now in a political partnership with the Soviet Union. Some of you are here because of that, some of you were here before it. Regardless, our common goal is to return Hungary to its former glory." Miklos reached into his briefcase and took out a map.
modifiedproposedoperati.jpg

"As you can see this is our proposed area of operation. The red area is of course our first priority. The light blue will be our second objective, while yellow and dark blue will be our third and forth in that order." Chief of Staff Janos Voros spoke up.

"With all due respect Mr.President what you are asking is out of our Military capabilities."

"I am aware of that Voros, which is why effective immediately I have order the conscription of six fresh division to be ready hopefully before the end of this year."

production.jpg

"I am afraid even that will still require a stretch of our forces."

"Yes it will be a challenging task Voros, but I believe that once we have all the forces necessary we will have the resources to complete such a task. Our main goal now is to have an adequate Military to satisfy our first endeavors, the invasion of Yugoslavia. Once their industry is under our control we will be able to conscript more division, as well as opening of industry to focus on our Air force." Laszlo Tomor, the Chief of the Air force perked up a bit at this news.

"What are you planning for the Air force Mr.President?"

"As long as we hold Air Superiority over our enemies, our bombers will be able to make up what we lack in man power. This should give us a significant advantage. Once the conquest of Yugoslavia is complete, we will allocate more industry towards strengthening our Air force. Not only that I have also ordered some technological upgrades to the Air force which should also give us an advantage." Tomor nodded in agreement. Voros spoke up again.

"And when will we begin these operations Mr.President?"

"When we are ready. First we need to reorganize our ground forces, then we need to move them along our border with Yugoslavia."

"Wouldn't this tell our hand a bit early?"

"Yes, but that is precisely what we are wanting to do. Our Soviet friends have given us an idea as to the strength of Yugoslavia. Once the Yugoslavian Military has mirrored our move we will have a more accurate idea of what we will be up against. General Szombathelyi these are you orders. Please complete them in an orderly fashion."

modifiedmoveorders.jpg

"Yes Mr. President." Miklos surveyed the room. His orders were in competent hands, he was sure of it.

"That is all for today gentlemen, you are dismissed."
* * *​

Miklos sat in his office, he had been doing that a lot lately he thought. Today he was looking over the report on the maneuvers he had ordered Szombathelyi to complete. So far everything was going well. He jumped slightly when the red phone purred for his attention.

"Hello Maksim."

"Greetings Miklos, I have more good news for you."

"I am hoping it is concerning our future in trading?"

"Right as always Miklos."
(Insert Another Soviet Deal)

"Wonderful, this will allow us to offered other trades with you when the time arises."

"And what of our other plans?"

"I have sent an agent to deliver them to you shortly."

"Excellent."

"If you will excuse me Maksim, I have things I need to attend to."

"Of course, of course. I will contact you later if the need arises." The lines clicked and Miklos placed the phone back on the receiver. Things were indeed going according to plan.
endofthe1stmonth.jpg

Looking good so far, let's see what the Hungarian army is capable of! :D