• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well as I said above, I still have 800+ MP. After two weeks I need about 30 to cover losses and I get about 55+ per month. Of course that will increase as I capture cities. So while I am watching it, and it is impacting building decisions, I am not yet worried. As best I can work out, the Red Army is about 1,000 brigades, and already a few have been overrun (maybe 10).
You better have a look at your occupation policies every now and then. I've seen them being switched to something else every now and then after I loaded up a game.

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Saturday 19th April: Initial Reports on Unternehmen Barbarossa

Back in my office, I groaned as I realised what this new war would mean. Tonnes of paperwork for me and my staff. Putting aside all thoughts of the war, I spent much of the morning preparing new work rosters and a detailed application for additional staff and storage space. I thought about requesting a promotion and salary increase in light of my increased work load but decided that might be pushing it. As I worked I could see a trickle of deliveries build up to a stream of clerks and office boys dumping files and document boxes at our front drop off point. Already the two junior staff on duty there were looking harassed.

A few quick telephone calls and I had some extra help, including a couple of young men invalided from the army. I was too polite to enquire as to the nature and cause of their injuries, but Gisela told me that one of the office girls had been told that they had both suffered head wounds in Poland in 1939 and had just left hospital. We often forget the long term effects of war.

All afternoon I was rushing around, trying to make sure my experienced staff were available to assist the juniors and the “new boys”. So it was only late in the day that I could sit down with a cup of tolerable coffee to look at the day’s events.

At first glance it was incredibly confusing: there were reports of battles all over the front, bombing raids, air battles and even some sort of naval action in the Ostsee. But I have not risen to the rank of office manager for nothing. A few foolscap files and some paperclips and a semblance of order was established and I could start reading. Being methodical, I would start in the north and work my way south. First I needed to determine the situation immediately after the assault this morning.

Army of Polen Nord

As best I could determine, the reporter in Suwalki was at the scene of the first conflict. General Felber with just under 32,000 men (1st Panzer and 62. and 88.Infanterie) swept into Kalvarija, held by the Russian AP Pavlov. Although Pavlov is reputed to be a gifted tank commander, he is very inexperienced. Felber is more than his match and although outnumbered (Pavlov has 4 divisions and one in reserve) we hope for a quick breakthrough.

n4amkalvarjadfinal.jpg

Battle of Kalvarija

Further north, General Eicke was facing a more difficult task. With just two divisions (5th PzD and 26.ID) he has been ordered to clear the forests of Laukuva of enemy troops. As soon as he made contact it was apparent that our intelligence was not quite correct. His opponent, the experienced General Zyriananov (an expert in living off the land), has 5 full infantry divisions with one in reserve. To his credit Eicke has said he will achieve his mission, but this could be a bloody affair.

n4amlaukuvafinal.jpg

Battle of Laukuva

The next report had some very sharp comments added to it by a staff member of the headquarters of Army of Polen Nord. General von Manstein’s orders had been explicit: the key objective was Kaunas. Russian units on the coast were to be ignored. But soldiers are soldiers, and General List could not resist what he saw as a gift. Having identified that Liepaja was held by a single cavalry division of just two regiments he ignored the explicit instructions and advanced his 18.ID into the forests where he soon had 43 Kavaleriyskaya on the run. I am sure von Manstein is fuming that his carefully structured plan is already being altered, but soldiers are human, not calculating machines.

n4amliepajafinal.jpg

Battle of Liepaja

General Hänicke had one of the hardest assignments, together with General von Both. Somehow Hänicke must get his two infantry divisions across the Memel River (the Russians I suppose still call it the Neman) into Marijampole. The far side is held by one the Red Army’s better generals, Kirponos, who has plenty of men at his disposal: nearly 50,000.

n4ammarijampolefinal.jpg

Battle of Marijampole

Von Both has one more division than Hänicke, but his job is actually harder. General Ogurtsov is very inexperienced, but our information is that he is keen to use trickery and stratagems, and he has the benefit of no less than 67,000 men, all buried in the woods and undergrowth that line the river banks in this area.

n4amtauragefinal.jpg

Battle of Taurage

Although the river is not very wide (less 500 metres) and very slow, it will take some courage to cross against those odds. I wonder if the fact that it is mentioned in the “Deutchlandlied” had any impact in the decision to make these attacks. Did von Manstein grow up singing “Von der Maas bis an die Memel”? Or was it the Führer himself, who claims to have heard the song being sung at the battle of Langemarck in 1914? Or, most likely, it was Goebbels who insisted that, for propaganda purpose, we must cross the Memel River on the first day of Barbarossa. Whatever the reason, one thing is for certain. Unless the Luftwaffe can clear the northern banks of the river, we will have a long casualty list.

The initial reports from Mosty were quite confusing. It seems we caught the Russians while they were in the middle of some reorganisation, which has led to a tactical withdrawal. I sure General Brennecke is relieved: he had three divisions with which to drive General Malandin from the dense forests, but against nearly 50,000 men this would have been dangerous work. As it is he has only managed to get two of his units into contact, and many Russians have been sighted retreating to the northeast.

n4ammostyfinal.jpg

Battle of Mosty

The last report received from von Manstein’s headquarters concerning the battles that started this morning was from General Wünnenberg. From his comments he simply did not have time to stop to write anything. He seems to have led 9th Panzer Division on a wild ride across the plains of Virbalis, chasing Russian infantry and cavalry as he went. His Panzer IIJs met negligible opposition, and the self-propelled artillery of his Sturmpanzer regiment was not required. If only it were all to be as easy as this. It does show, however, what our panzers can achieve in the right terrain.

n4amvirbalisfinal.jpg

Battle of Virbalis

Overall, von Manstein was fairly happy with the first assault. Annoyed at General List, concerned about the river crossings at Marijampol and Taurage but pleased with the initial reports from his other generals. Now to see how General Rommel had fared.

Last edited:
Laukuva: Wondering how two formations can steamroll five fully equipped, fully manned and fully supplied Russian divisions? May be a gigantic tech gap?

Liepaja: Actually a good move by the AI. It is taking out a potentially nusiance while inflicting improportionally higher casulties to the enemy. I do doubt that the German AI would be able to encircle those units anyway, no matter how clever Mansteins plan is ;-)

Any ETA for the reinforce Marine Corps? What about the Red Baltic fleet or air activity above the frontlines?

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Saturday April 19th: Initial Reports on Operation Barbarossa

Army of Polen Sud

It looks as though General Guderian also has a symbolic objective: Brzesc Litewski, scene of our victory over Russia in the last war. General von Sponeck has been given the responsibility of taking the city, but it will not be easy. The old Brest Fortress is still a formidable obstacle, and General Larianov is a match for von Sponeck, in experience at least. (Though perhaps von Sponeck’s offensive skill may tilt the balance a little). With two regular divisions and a garrison division the Russians are able to defend the walls and redoubts and still have men in reserve. We have the advantage of armour, but this may not be enough.

s4ambrzesclitfinal.jpg

Battle of Brzesc Litewski

On the border with Hungary our troops have it slightly easier, but not be much. General Frießner has 3rd PzD, 3rd le PzD and 103.ID (mot) while General Shlemin has 5 infantry divisions, one of them a highly trained mountain unit. (This numerical advantage is probably reduced a little as 166 Strelkovaya is a second-line division). Still, there are 35,000 Russians in the forests and we can expect some of them to fight, even against armour backed by motorised infantry.

s4amdrohobyczfinal.jpg

Battle of Drohobycz

The plains of Gródek Jagiellonski are like an open door to 6th PzD and 102.ID (mot). 37,000 infantry pose no impediment to Buhle’s tanks and trucked infantry. Even the knowledge that Lutchinski is more experienced than Buhle does not offset the advantage in steel and firepower of our troops. Guderian expects a quick breakthrough.

s4amgrodekjagfinal.jpg

Battle of Gródeck Jagiellonski

Then it was Iwanice, from where we heard the excited young reporter. Looking at the dry words on paper in front of me it was hard to recall the emotional enthusiasm we heard pouring from the radio at 4AM this morning. But the words told the same story: General Koroteev and his infantry stood no chance against the tanks of 7th PzD. The treeless plains offered little defence or concealment and the Russians had not had time to dig in and prepare for an armoured assault.

s4amiwaniczefinal.jpg

Battle of Iwanice

At Krystynopol General Müller also had flat terrain stretching in front of him. Unfortunately for him, it was General Zaev who had the tanks. Müller had two motorised and one infantry division, but all his support regiments were artillery. Nevertheless he was confident of that he could achieve success without too many losses.

s4amkrystynopolfinal.jpg

Battle of Krystynopol

General Schack had the toughest assignment of any officer in any of our armies: forcing the Russians from the city of Lwów. The Red Army had entrusted the defence of this key position to one of its best generals: AI Antonov. He had 5 divisions spread through the city, and no doubt had strict orders that he was not to retreat. Against this Schack could deploy a mere 20,000 men from two motorised divisions. To make it harder, both units were brand new. No veterans of Poland, France and Spain: young boys straight from basic training. Two regiments of tank destroyers would no doubt be useful to reduce strongpoints, but this would be a baptism of blood for the young soldiers. Nobody expects Schack to actually take the city, but it is essential that these divisions be tied up and prevented from assisting their comrades in the adjacent provinces.

s4amlwowfinal.jpg

Battle of Lwów

The final battle of Army of Polen Sud was also the biggest in terms of numbers. 40,000 of our men are advancing against 45,000 Russians, a straightforward test of ability. The Russians not only have a slight edge in numbers, they also have tanks and the “Moldavaskaya” mountain division. Where we have the advantage is in leadership: General Bremer has had much battlefield experience and is probably due for a promotion to lead a korps. General Ozeryakin, however, is a product of the Great Purge. Plucked from his regiment and put in charge of a division, he is no match for Bremer.

kfinal.jpg

Battle of Shats’k

Rommel is also pleased with his initial attacks, though he noted with some displeasure that Müllers artillery and self propelled guns would have been of more use to Schack at Lwów, while Müller would have appreciated Schack’s Marders. It also seems that he is waiting for any excuse to halt the attack in Lwów: there is no point in wasting lives needlessly.

You better have a look at your occupation policies every now and then. I've seen them being switched to something else every now and then after I loaded up a game.

I've noticed that but always thought I had forgotten to save after making a change. I keep a close eye on MP but I'll make a point of checking - when Ican get back to my current save. I've a lot of writing to do.

Laukuva: Wondering how two formations can steamroll five fully equipped, fully manned and fully supplied Russian divisions? May be a gigantic tech gap?

Liepaja: Actually a good move by the AI. It is taking out a potentially nusiance while inflicting improportionally higher casulties to the enemy. I do doubt that the German AI would be able to encircle those units anyway, no matter how clever Mansteins plan is ;-)

Any ETA for the reinforce Marine Corps? What about the Red Baltic fleet or air activity above the frontlines?

I don't think I am a huge amount above the Russians in tech, except maybe in tanks . That might explain it.

Why I didn't want to move north along the coast is that Army of Polen Nord is a bit light on for troops: I can't spare a division to hold Liepaja. I just need to hold Memel: mainly for the forward airbase for my CAS.

As for the final paragraph: this is just the initial attacks: a lot happened in April 19 but I need to lay the table before putting out the meal :)

I don't think I am a huge amount above the Russians in tech, except maybe in tanks . That might explain it.

you'll probably will find the Soviets match you on equipment techs (though the AI is bit less than disciplined about dealing with upgrade backlogs so you'll probably have quite patchy outcomes in this respect). Where you'll be ahead will be the techs that improve morale/org and the compound effect of all that combat experience. Also the Soviet AI is now hardcoded to shift to the fastest training time once Barbarossa starts, so that again will give you an advantage in combat. In effect your units will hang in there longer and repair better than the Soviets & win even battles due to combat exp.

I'm pleased to see the AI doing some attackes that are red. The reason is because Germany will win those eventually and that ties up a number of divisions. Plus when those units do break they will have next to zero organization and be ripe to be overrun and destoryed. Good for the AI.

the other advantage is this is akin to using the Soviet's relative areas of strength against them. The AI, till it feels threatened, won't bail out of those red circled attacks, so is quite likely to end up encircled. Once it feels less confident it will revert to a touch and run model, sometimes pulling back out of combats it can probably win, but I don't the Soviet AI will start Barbarossa with that mindset or stance. At most at this stage, it'll only bail out once it can see an encirclement forming and that is often too late.

Last edited:
"At last the great struggle of our time has begun (again). Feats of honor, glory and brotherhood will hallow the land, drenched in blood, soaked in sweat. A rain of steel and mist of dust has covered the countryside (again) and the schriek of falling shells will cover the wail of our young."

i wonder if all the technological might of the Wermacht will be enough for.. the unholy amount of boots ...

I suppose some of the pinning attacks will be halted by the AI BEFORE the org drops to 0... and that the russians don't have a layered defence that is deep in the rear or those lone tanks divisions moving ahead of the infantry are in for a harsh time..

To quote LOTR:

"The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last, the great battle of our time."

I'm pleased to see the AI doing some attackes that are red. The reason is because Germany will win those eventually and that ties up a number of divisions. Plus when those units do break they will have next to zero organization and be ripe to be overrun and destoryed. Good for the AI.

Uriah, do you plan on calling any of your Axis allies into the fray? Italy and Japan are, of course, quite occupied, but the Hungarians can usually provide about 100k decent infantry, enough to shore up any gaps which form in your own offensive.

I'm particularly keen to see what your Marine's and schlactflottes get up to in the Baltic, could there be some very nasty surprises for withdrawing Soviet forces?

Come April 30th I'll be able to tell if you win in a year, lose in two or if the fight is a toss-up. Almost every single time the entire war can be determined by how each side did in the first 2 weeks of fighting.

Come April 30th I'll be able to tell if you win in a year, lose in two or if the fight is a toss-up. Almost every single time the entire war can be determined by how each side did in the first 2 weeks of fighting.

Well in 2.4thats not so true anymore. My most recent game involved a 300k encirclement of USSR forces. I reached moscow in October. Took Lenegrad in september. And was 3 provinces away from Stalingrad by late November. However the Soviets managed to get enough forces in my way to stop me. However in 2.03 i think if Uriah gets enough momentum to keep going there is no way for the Soviets to stop him.

@Uriah. The nice thing about these holding actions is by the time they are done you may be able to launch the attack immediately after it. Therefore you can actually break out two provinces behind the original line. Of course, your infantry will be hit hard after this but if you have a couple light armor and motorised divisions the AI does take advantage of that.

Lurker coming out of the cave!

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Saturday April 19th: Initial Reports on Unternehmen Barbarossa

Balkans Army

It is some time since General Bieß and the “Bitburg” division have featured in this journal. He missed out on Unternehmen Stierkampf but now he and his men are leading off General Guderian’s attack from Romania. Together with the untested soldiers of 98.Infanterie they have stormed into Chernivtsi. First reports are good, as Bieß is facing another of the Red Army’s new generals, Petrakovski and half the enemy divisions are cavalry. The battle-hardened Schützen of 10.ID (mot) will soon show them horses have no place on a modern battlefield. With the cavalry on the run, the foot soldiers of 169 and 302 Strelkovaya will not last for long.

b4amchernivtsifinal.jpg

Battle of Chernivtsi

Although General Bader also faces a cavalry unit, it has the advantage of having the River Siret as part of its defences. The Russian Badanov (a survivor of the Great Purge) has two infantry divisions as well, and with a total of 26,000 men he could make Bader’s mission to move into the province of Edinet costly. For once, however, we have the advantage in numbers, and Guderian expects our three divisions to be across the river on the first day. Once across, it should be a routine exercise to clear all opposition.

b4amedinetfinal.jpg

Battle of Edinet

The open farmland of Horodenka could see the first “Panzer gegen Panzer” action of Barbarossa, as 3rd Panzer Division meets 9 Tankovaya Divizya head-on. Our tanks are far more modern than the T-26s and BT-5s that we believe the Russians still use and the enemy armour is not seen as a real threat. Even the huge numbers of enemy are not seen by General Ruoff to present a problem. It is a sign of the esteem in which Ruoff is held that he has been given command of a panzer division as well as his own 2.ID (mot) “Vorwärts”. General Mitrofanov, even with his skill as a tank commander, will soon appreciate the reputation Ruoff built in the west.

b4amhorodenkafinal.jpg

Battle of Horodenka

The first major battle for General von Förster promises quick victory. With a two to one superiority in numbers, as well as clear advantage in quality, von Förster should simply overwhelm Poluektov’s three divisions. Sniatyn offers little to slow the tanks of 2nd PzD, and although the four supporting infantry are all non-motorised, they should maintain a good pace against a shattered opposition. To make the job easier, our troops have already encircled some of the defenders, inflicting disproportionate casualties.

b4amsniatynfinal.jpg

Battle of Sniatyn

Guderian reports that he has nothing to complain about. All his initial attacks appear to be easily winnable. He does warn that the River Siret could cause him difficulties in the next few days.

Last edited:
you'll probably will find the Soviets match you on equipment techs (though the AI is bit less than disciplined about dealing with upgrade backlogs so you'll probably have quite patchy outcomes in this respect). Where you'll be ahead will be the techs that improve morale/org and the compound effect of all that combat experience. Also the Soviet AI is now hardcoded to shift to the fastest training time once Barbarossa starts, so that again will give you an advantage in combat. In effect your units will hang in there longer and repair better than the Soviets & win even battles due to combat exp.

the other advantage is this is akin to using the Soviet's relative areas of strength against them. The AI, till it feels threatened, won't bail out of those red circled attacks, so is quite likely to end up encircled. Once it feels less confident it will revert to a touch and run model, sometimes pulling back out of combats it can probably win, but I don't the Soviet AI will start Barbarossa with that mindset or stance. At most at this stage, it'll only bail out once it can see an encirclement forming and that is often too late.

I think you have probably identified the main area of advantage: all my land techs are at 1940 at least. So morale and org would be much higher than the Red Army.

And I have given some thought to not scaring the Russians away. I know from Poland that the AI is very sensitive to possible out-of-supply situations. So I'm not too worried about "pinning" operations, as long as the casualties aren't too bad.

"At last the great struggle of our time has begun (again). Feats of honor, glory and brotherhood will hallow the land, drenched in blood, soaked in sweat. A rain of steel and mist of dust has covered the countryside (again) and the schriek of falling shells will cover the wail of our young."

i wonder if all the technological might of the Wermacht will be enough for.. the unholy amount of boots ...

I suppose some of the pinning attacks will be halted by the AI BEFORE the org drops to 0... and that the russians don't have a layered defence that is deep in the rear or those lone tanks divisions moving ahead of the infantry are in for a harsh time..

We shall see: there are an awful lot of them. While we are fresh it isn't too bad, but we'll see how it is in a month.

To quote LOTR:

"The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last, the great battle of our time."

I have found that the AI will launch "red" attacks for a few days, then withdraw and send in fresh troops. Wash, rinse, repeat. Unless the defender can do the same, after a week or so you have parity. Costly, but effective.

I'm pleased to see Uriah's AI doesn't try to take cities with tanks.... yet.

Give it time: it always has in the past.

Uriah

Could you post an overview of the Army objectives? The eastern front is so... huge.

I will at the end of the day. I will post separate maps for each Army showing objectives, line of advance and current battles.

Uriah, do you plan on calling any of your Axis allies into the fray? Italy and Japan are, of course, quite occupied, but the Hungarians can usually provide about 100k decent infantry, enough to shore up any gaps which form in your own offensive.

I'm particularly keen to see what your Marine's and schlactflottes get up to in the Baltic, could there be some very nasty surprises for withdrawing Soviet forces?

I have deliberately held off with the Hungarians. They would take horrific losses if they attacked the dug in masses on the frontier. As soon as I detect that the Russioans are moving to respond to my attacks I willissue the "Call to Arms". With the Red Army on the move we will inflict much higher casualties.

The other reason, of course, is that I want to conquer the territory myself. The Hungarians got a fair chunk of Poland and nearly took a lot more.

And, jumping the gun a bit, it costs 10 diplomatic points to issue a CtA. So I will have to wait for Bulgaria.

Well, Ihave played up to early May, and while it is looking good, losses are mounting. Give me a week or so to get the updates, and then make your prediction:)

Well in 2.4thats not so true anymore. My most recent game involved a 300k encirclement of USSR forces. I reached moscow in October. Took Lenegrad in september. And was 3 provinces away from Stalingrad by late November. However the Soviets managed to get enough forces in my way to stop me. However in 2.03 i think if Uriah gets enough momentum to keep going there is no way for the Soviets to stop him.

@Uriah. The nice thing about these holding actions is by the time they are done you may be able to launch the attack immediately after it. Therefore you can actually break out two provinces behind the original line. Of course, your infantry will be hit hard after this but if you have a couple light armor and motorised divisions the AI does take advantage of that.

Lurker coming out of the cave!

Is everyone aware I am playing with 2.04 beta? I haven't bothered to change to the official update as I had some probs with my map mod, but I understand the beta is pretty much the same.

I am trying to make sure the AI has a few units to play with, but at first I need to worry about counter-attacks into my staging areas. Once Ilift my defensive objectives I can hope for exploit attacks.

And welcome: as a lurker for years I know what is like to make your first post!

I must say, the colour used for the Soviet unit cards is horrid; really bright colours have never been to my liking.

At any rate, good to see a whole slew of quick victories on the horizon for the Wehrmacht.

Just wanted to compliment you on some masterful writing. I'm very impressed with your presentation. It's a really engaging read and I find myself wanting more! Thank you for the time and effort.

Any news on the Luftwaffe? Hows the CAS and TAC working out?

With all the strategy and advice already, for now I will just say: See you in Moscow.

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Saturday 19th April: Initial Reports on Unternehmen Barbarossa

Österreich Army

This is General von Kluge’s first operation as commander of a whole army. Admittedly the Österreich Army has the least to do in the opening days of the campaign, but I am sure he wants to do well.

I had already heard of the beginning of Volkmann’s attempt to cross the Siret, but from the report he has run into difficulties. The river is quite broad here, not far from where it joins the Donau, and the pioniere regiments took heavy fire from Kreiser’s three divisions. The Russian general is another survivor of the Purge, and he knows what he is doing. The two Gebirger divisions were probably hoping for full daylight to allow the Luftwaffe to clear the opposite bank.

o4amchisinaufinal.jpg

Battle of Chisinau

Due to one of the administrative breakdowns one must expect in an undertaking of this size, there is no map available of our attack on Balti. This is unfortunate, as it was a textbook display of a co-ordinated assault. General von Brockdorff-Ahlefeldt expertly launched a simultaneous attack from several directions. The armour of 2nd leichte Panzer was supported by the motorised infantry of 13. and 36.ID (mot), and his three infantry divisions provided the mass to push into the province. Although Golubovskij had a tank division, a motorised division and 2nd Belorusskaya (nearly 30,000 men) he really had no chance against 60,000 highly trained and brilliantly led soldiers,

Slobozia was a similar display of skill and force, but again unfortunately the original maps have been lost. The Donau proved no impediment to Hilpert’s men and they were across before Obukhov’s three infantry divisions could react. Our information is that the Russian general is a tank commander and perhaps he lacked the experience to properly hold the river. General Hilpert reports that some Russian units are already withdrawing.

The attack from Vylkove was von Kluge’s most important task. Capturing Sarata is the first step on the road to Odessa, and he entrusted to General Behlendorff, a skilled engineer who should be able to negotiate the treacherous terrain of the Donau delta. With 6th and 7th SS Freiwilligen Gebirgsjäger Divisions, as well as the 3rd Gebirgers, he had some of the best troops in the world at his disposal. With barely 9,000 defenders, Solyaskin was in trouble from the start.

o4amsaratafinal.jpg

Battle of Sarata

General Petzel also had three mountain divisions, as well as an infantry division. But instead of facing a single weak infantry division, he was up against 6 full infantry divisions with another in reserve, backed by two cavalry divisions. Even against 72,000 men, General Petzel assured General von Kluge that he will cross the Donau and force the enemy to fight for Tiraspol. I admire his confidence, but he has only 40,000 men himself, and although General Osyka is a novice, it is not hard to hold a major river with such an advantage in numbers.

o4amtiraspolfinal.jpg

Battle of Tiraspol

While von Kluge has a couple of battles where the final result could be in doubt, overall the Österreich Army has the easiest job on the first day. By nightfall we should have crossed the Donau and be heading into the Ukraine.

A good read!

Keep it going.

Doing my best: At least I have done the hard work of starting 20+ battles!

I must say, the colour used for the Soviet unit cards is horrid; really bright colours have never been to my liking.

At any rate, good to see a whole slew of quick victories on the horizon for the Wehrmacht.

By cards, do you mean the counters? If so, yes, they are a bit striking. I don't drink, but I imagine they would be distressing to anyone with a hangover.

As for the victories: fingers crossed. If we don't get quick wins it could be a short war.

Just wanted to compliment you on some masterful writing. I'm very impressed with your presentation. It's a really engaging read and I find myself wanting more! Thank you for the time and effort.

Any news on the Luftwaffe? Hows the CAS and TAC working out?

With all the strategy and advice already, for now I will just say: See you in Moscow.

Thanks for the kind words. It does take a bit of effort to try and make each battle an individual clash. The Luftwaffe will move onto centre stage in next update (if my memory serves me correct).

Moscow: as long as it is as a tourist, not a POW.