• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Have always appreciated the dedication that has been put into your work.

Congratulations!

He's BACK!!!!

wonderful update and congrats on taking Moskva.
How is russian national unity? any chance on their collapse any time soon?

/Krogzar

Nice to see you back, Uriah!

Now that Moscow has fallen, do you paln on heading towards the Volga and all that lovely oil in the Caucasus?

Also, I do hope that you'll be kind enough to eventually give us Finns back Karelia. :eek:hmy:

Great to see this is still going. With Leningrad and now Moscow taken you must be relieved. I hope Rommel has brought up forces sufficient to see that Moscow is held.

I'd be interested to know what kind of stance management you'll be doing over the winter. Will you push on or halt for refit and resupply?

Dry your eyes, the puppy has only gone to the farm.

But thank you for the encouragement to type some more.

OK OK, here's the deal. I'll keep typing if you keep updating. Also, I always give encouragment to people who deserve it. Crap, I still can't figure out the quote thing with the bubbles above posts.

Great opportunities await now, the Soviets will be in disarray for a time now as they don't have any supplies coming forth until their new supply center is up and working.

Good to see you back, even if for only a short while. With Moscow taken you will have quite a bit of breathing room. I would try to keep some offensive up in the South as long as possible. Have you cleared the Crimea yet?
Hope your next delay won't be as long. This stuff is too good to have to wait sooo long.

With Moskov fallen, there is only one more target for the Wehrmacht and it's luckily in the south: Stalingrad.

How is your infrastructure upgrade program going? How about forward airfields?

Could you post a infrastructure map?

Is the Kriegsmarine doing something?

If I answer all your questions, what will I have to write about? We are shifting the Schwerpunkt south, and troop transfers are underway. These, as well as the infra (and supply) maps are in the next update, that I am writing now. Some details about infra/airbase construction too. The KM is doing nothing much - there is not much to do. Taking onthe RN is still a bit risky outside the Med. I am building a couple of ships, inc an ACC. I have a vague hope of interfering should an invasion of France/Spain be tried.

Have always appreciated the dedication that has been put into your work.

Congratulations!

Thanks TekcoR. It is a lot of work, probably much more than people realise. While I do like to do it (and it is very restful), appreciation is always welcome.

Brilliant Stuff Uriah! Congratulations on taking the heart of the red menace and for this wonderful AAR!

Thanks Morell8. I fear that the Soviet Union may be a vampire state and that I must do more than take its heart. It is still fighting hard and my MP is getting low.

He's BACK!!!!

wonderful update and congrats on taking Moskva.
How is russian national unity? any chance on their collapse any time soon?

/Krogzar

Thanks for the compliment Krozgar. Soviet unity is 76.6% and we have 54.6% of the cities (at 26th October). So some way to go.

Nice to see you back, Uriah!

Now that Moscow has fallen, do you paln on heading towards the Volga and all that lovely oil in the Caucasus?

Also, I do hope that you'll be kind enough to eventually give us Finns back Karelia. :eek:hmy:

I think I may have to stop for the winter before I get the to the Volga, though I may get close to the Don in the south. The Caucasus is definitely next summer. Luckily I have no shortage of oil. I stockpiled a huge amount before war started.

As for the Finns: if they would ally with me I'd give them Leningrad itself. But they are too good for the likes of me - just turn down my diplomats.

Very glad you're writing again!

Thanks Dasfubar. Just needed a break while concentrating on RL. (Though I did a little writing on my Guderian's Blitzkrieg AAR - just to keep my hand in).

Great to see this is still going. With Leningrad and now Moscow taken you must be relieved. I hope Rommel has brought up forces sufficient to see that Moscow is held.

I'd be interested to know what kind of stance management you'll be doing over the winter. Will you push on or halt for refit and resupply?

Still going Sarayakat? At this rate it will be still going when you and I are both in our graves! The AI was taking no risks with Moskva - at last count it had 5 divs in the city. At the moment I am leanign toward halting the three northern armies to allow supply to concentrate in the south. Will keep going there until my aircraft are crippled by weather.

Congrats on Moscow!! And glad to see the master is still the master. Good luck on your language learning, and we all hope to see you soon!

Thanks von Mudra. And not much of the master - this is my only AAR on the site and I know (and have read) several authors who have multiple AARs in different styles and on diffeernt games. I would be reluctant to claim anything much on just one AAR. (Except maybe the longest).

Dry your eyes, the puppy has only gone to the farm.

But thank you for the encouragement to type some more.

OK OK, here's the deal. I'll keep typing if you keep updating. Also, I always give encouragment to people who deserve it. Crap, I still can't figure out the quote thing with the bubbles above posts.

octobersky92: I'll keep updating while I can maintain the enthusiasn needed and people want to read it. And the "bubbles" - look in the right lower corner of the post for the three options.

Thank you very much, Uriah!

No problems Blut_und_Bier. Two liquids that I have not mentioned much lately. I must make amends.

Great opportunities await now, the Soviets will be in disarray for a time now as they don't have any supplies coming forth until their new supply center is up and working.

As usual you are correct Surt. There is just one issue. My own supply is strangling the advance. I have dozens of divs and HQ idling because of lack of supply. We can maintain a limited offensive, but at least unitl the end of November I think that there is little hope of a major breakthrough. And the situation is worse in the south.

Welcome back Uriah and thank you for the latest - and as always: fantastic - update.
Nice work taking Moscow. How many ressources did you get? :)

Thanks Throki. I am afraid I must let you down: I didn't check on supply when Moskva fell. But I can say that my Energy and Steel are both on 999,999, RM is about 860,000 and oil is about 500,000. So enough to last for years. Manpoer is the problem, now down to 393 though getting 69 per month.

It took me a long time to read the up to the end. Excellent technique on the writing!

Try to imagine how long it took me to write it! Bear in mind that I will usually re-read an update at least three times to check for silly errors (which still get through).

But thank you for the compliment genbrad. Like all men, I love to have my technique praised. Having an immensely long AAR is great, but to have technique as well is heaven.

Good to see you back, even if for only a short while. With Moscow taken you will have quite a bit of breathing room. I would try to keep some offensive up in the South as long as possible. Have you cleared the Crimea yet?
Hope your next delay won't be as long. This stuff is too good to have to wait sooo long.

Forster - see above replies for more detail, but yes, the southern armies will make hay while the sun shines. Or isn't snowing at least. Depends a lot on the efficacy of the aircraft. With MP so low I need to kill from the air, not on the ground. Crimea? we haven't got past the Perekop Isthmus yet.

I won't put a date on the next update, but it will before my exams. Which start in a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't count on much advancing in winter unless you are near a harbour, in my own (limited) experience of winter war in Russia I'd say you are lucky if you hold what you got. That said my spearhead nearly reach Stalingrad, but at that timeit was the only unit in supply on the east front ...

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Sunday 19th to Friday 24th October 1941

Berlin

There are serious concerns about the slow degradation of supply levels in the East. Not only are front-line units reporting that lack of ammunition is affecting combat operations, but our bomber units are basing further west in order to ensure that they have sufficient bombs and fuel to carry out round the clock bombing.

Supplyend.jpg

Supply in the East

Minister Bayerlein has assured the Cabinet that all is being done to facilitate the transport of supplies east, and gently indicated that the virtual non-existence of decent roads and the necessity to change the gauge of the Soviet rail system was the problem. This prompted Minister Schlacht to quickly point out that no less than 54 work gangs are in operation on infrastructure projects in the occupied areas (in addition to the five major airbase upgrades). Our economy is already at full stretch and cannot afford to undertake more construction without risking delays to military production. To make things worse, our engineering survey teams report that the further we go east, the more primitive the transport systems are found to be.

Infraend.jpg

Infrastructure in the East

FeldzugImOsten099end.jpg

Regardless of what is said in Berlin, it seems that railway conversion could be more efficient

Minister Göring was no doubt pleased to announce that a new command system for our Langstrecken Großbomber Fliegerkorps has been developed. It is to be hoped that this may prompt some action from these hugely expensive aircraft, currently part of Polen Army Nord and based in Moskva. Since taking heavy loses some months ago, not one sortie has been flown by the “Greifs”.

heinkel-he-177-greif-bomberend.jpg

Greifs” on the runway at Moskva.

Ominously, the research funds have been transferred to heavy industry groups, with instructions that work must begin on bigger and more powerful Flak guns for installation around our cities. The RAF has been shown to be no more than an annoyance, easily contained by a single Jagdfliegerkorps. Is this intimation that the Cabinet fears US intervention?

There was in fact a British raid on Leipzig this week. We are now getting used to the announcement that the RAF has crossed the coast, and Bogatsch and his pilots harry the bombers the whoe way to their target and back. The alarms no longer sound in Berlin, as the British invariably head for Leipzig. At least 63 enemy aircraft were shot down, though this time they were either better armed or better trained: we lost 10 Messerschmitts.

The big news this week, however, was the news by General von Blomberg that our first mechanised units are now ready for deployment. 1st Panzergrenadier Division SS Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler (General Veiel) and 16th Panzergrenadier Division (General Schaal) are to be sent to the south of Russia, joining 2nd schwere Panzerkorps. (Pfeiffer’s 74.ID (mot) has been transferred north to 1st leichte Panzerkorps in the Kursk region.) With two infantry, a Sturmpanzer and a Marder regiment, these are the most powerful infantry units ever built. But not for long: Minister von Blomberg announced that two new panzergrenadier divisions are to be commissioned. These will comprise five regiments, with an additional motorised rocket unit.

sdkfz251commandvehicleend.jpg

A commissioning ceremony for one of the new divisions, just prior to their departure east.

On a lighter note, many of Joachim von Ribbentrop’s enemies (and he has a lot) are openly laughing at his political misjudgement. We have known for a long time that the Turkish government shares many of our basic policies, and von Ribbentrop thought the time had come to invite them to join the Axis in the war. Our diplomats totally misread the situation, ignoring Turkey’s strong desire to stay neutral in the conflict and the feeling in its leadership that we represent a far greater threat than any other country. So von Ribbentrop’s dreams of a diplomatic masterstroke opening a new southern front on Russia have been publicly dashed.

Baltic Army (Kesselring)

Balticfinalend.jpg

In the far north, conditions are near freezing. That does not halt the efforts of our troops, though it does affect them. 168.ID and 2nd Marine-Sturm Division fought a brief but vicious battle in Prjaza, but the Russians seemed as reluctant to fight for long as our own troops. After a day or so, they headed south-east.

A23AirPodend.jpg

Flying conditions are less than perfect in the north

1st Baltic Korps made the final push towards Lake Onega, with 24.ID attacking from Olonec and 4.ID “Falkenberg” from Svir’stroj. Podporoz’e is held by a cavalry division and a Sinkiangese infantry unit, so our two veteran divisions expect an easy victory. It had better be quick: the weather conditions are atrocious according the messages from General Student at korps HQ. Even in the Arctic conditions, the Luftwaffe is doing its best, as Wever’s 8th Kampffliegerkorps flew several missions. Even though his planes were attacked twice by Russian fighters, they stayed on course to their targets. Losses were balanced: the VVS lost about 9 fighters while the Luftwaffe lost 13 aircraft.

Polen Army Nord (von Manstein)

Nordfinalend.jpg

Dubna was not supposed to cause 8.ID any problems. General Feige is an experienced officer and the division is supposedly a veteran. It was opposed by 180 Strelkovaya which has been in several battles recently. Perhaps the steady loss of troops is affecting the skill of our infantry, but it took Feige several days to defeat Levandoski’s men. Within hours of claiming victory, 8.ID was fighting again, as a previously unknown unit, 232 Strelkovaya led by General Ter Gasparian, was encountered. The new troops fought ferociously, and Feige called on 3rd leichte Panzer for assistance. Even with the help of the tanks and the Luftwaffeit was a tough fight. It was 10PM on Thursday before Feige could rest his men.

One of the most northern of von Manstein’s units was 44.ID, pushing its way north east toward the Rybinsk Reservoir. Our information is that though the reservoir was only completed early this year, it has already filled sufficiently to form solid defensive barrier. This could be useful if the weather forces us to halt for the winter. But that is still some time away: Barkhausen steamrolled 61 Strelkovaya on just 3 hours to clear Maksatiha.

It was a pity (from General Barkhausen’s point of view at least) that this demolition of Shaposhnikov took place at about the same time that General von der Chevallerie broke the news to HQ Polen Army Nord that Kalinin was secure. A minor victory in the north was could not compete with the capture of one of our key target cities.

Fate was not much kinder to General Neuling, who took Rameski over the night of the 19th, after stunning 25th Chapaevskaya with a heavy assault. While the commanders further south were gaining glory in places whose names every German knows, in the north victories were gained in places no-one had ever heard of. At least von Manstein appreciated the work his men are doing: he is already advising OKH that he intends to advance to at least the Volga.

60.ID would not have been pleased to be sent into Serpuhov, south of Moskva. The Moskva River may be only a tributary of the Oka, in turn a tributary of the Volga, but it is still a major impediment for an infantry division. On top of that, although the far bank was held by a single division, it was led by a previously unknown General Osade. No-one knows much about this man, but he is credited with high skills, particularly in offensive and unconventional operations. Still, orders are orders, and von Sodenstern handled the river crossing well, sending his first troops over after dark on the 20th. With the river behind them, our soldiers fought doggedly. The Luftwaffe performed brilliantly, dropping tonnes of bombs only hundreds of metres from the battleline. More importantly, General von Kleist allowed one of his motorised divisions to assist. That tilted the balance in our favour and Osade pulled his men out early on Thursday. Other than the heavy losses inflicted by our aircraft, casualties on both sides were very low, probably because of the skill showed by both commanders.

Riverfinal.jpg

As night falls, the first boats speed across the river

On the 21st, General Barckhausen and 44.ID were back in the Polen Army Nord report. He had hit more resistance in Maksahita. Barckhausen insists that he had cleared the province and that the enemy he now faced must have arrived since then. Captured prisoners support his argument as they are definitely from 73rd and 78th Strelkovaya. Regardless of the source, there was heavy fighting for a few more days before the two rifle divisions withdrew.

While von Sodenstern had to fight for every metre in Serpuhov, von Kleinheisterkamp and 5th Panzer had their usual easy assignment to the north east of Moskva. The rolling hills of Shchelkovo were held by a single cavalry division, 9th Krymskaya, which promptly fled. It may be the haste in which the enemy collapsed that led the clerks in 5th Panzer HQ to forget to file a combat report: I instructed my staff to recommend that those responsible be transferred to front line duties. Dereliction of duty cannot be excused in the Wehrmacht, and without prompt and accurate reports our whole system will deteriorate.

General Eicke and the men of 28.ID had the unwanted distinction of being the first Germans to start on offensive in snow, moving from their assembly areas just after midnight on 22nd as the first flakes fell. Movement in Brusovo was not yet hampered by the light covering but the fighting was a warning of what we may expect. The onset of winter gave the defenders some heart, and although Eicke was able to complete his task late on Friday, his casualty list was substantially more than we have suffered recently. The foot soldiers would have been grateful the battle ended: the last report mentioned the province was now a quagmire, the melting snow having turned into mud.

In Aleksin, the weather was still fine, but different factors combined to make General Keppler’s assignment difficult. Both his available units, his own 1st lePzD and Hubicki’s 7th PzD, were based in Suvorov, limiting his attack to a narrow front, blocked by the Oka River. More critically, Suvorov contained five of our divisions, and transporting large amounts of food, fuel and ammunition that distance is a growing problem. The Soviets, scenting weakness despite the presence of two panzer divisions, has sent reinforcements. Although Keppler’s original foe was Aseichev’s 5th Tankovaya, by the end of 24th this had been increased by the addition of a cavalry division, and three motorised units are in the vicinity.

A22Udomijafinal.jpg

Snow in the marshes: Udomlja

The snow didn’t seem to stiffen the resolve of Morgurov’s cavalry in Udomlja, adjacent to Brusovo. According to prisoners captured by 9th PzD, the cavalry had relied on the marshy conditions to slow Wünnenberg’s tanks and their commanders had concerns that the cold would freeze the ground allowing the armoured vehicles to outrun the horses. I cannot believe the ground would freeze solid so quickly, so maybe this was just an excuse. It is really of no import: the fact is that by midday the cavalry had made a tactical withdrawal.

Von der Chevallerie had now concerns about weather in Kazin, northeast of Kalinin, and less about his opposition. It took 95.ID only a few hours to smash 3rd Bessarabiya Kavaleriy and 18th Strelkovaya. Two other divisions then began follow from Kalinin, only to discover on the 24th that another Russian division was contesting the ownership of Kazin. Fighting continues, but with three full divisions against a single under-strength unit, there is little risk of serious losses and no prospect of defeat.

The assault on Tula is one step closer. After 10 days of fighting von Both and 68.ID (with support from 1st PzD) finally beat 198th Motorizavannaya in Belev. General Kulik should be proud of his troops: von Both was full of praise for the soldiers who held him up for so long.

Germsoldierfinal.jpg

Weary but alive, one of von Both’s men in Belev

But von Both, veteran as he is, was not going to sit around waiting for it to snow. Still nearly 600 men short of his full complement but with his supply wagons full, he took 68.ID into Plavsk. He informed his korps commander, General Reichenau that he wanted to make sure that 198th Motorizavannaya did not escape through the province, but it is unlikely that the planners at XIII Armeekorps will be too impresses. Von Both soon hit trouble in the form of two Russian divisions, and prisoners spoke of four other units in the area. He asked for assistance and to the embarrassment of von Reichenau the only unit available was Buhle’s 102.ID (mot), part of 3rd PzKorps, Polen Army Sud. Von Both could be in for a torrid time when he next visits Korps HQ.

No such embarrassing moments for General Kalmukoff who captured Sonkovo in his normal efficient manner on Friday morning. The weather was kind, if cold, and he swept 90th Strelkovaya aside in just 6 hours, for the loss of just 25 men.

The only other battle commenced on Friday was launched from the eastern suburbs of Moskva. 101.ID (mot) did not get very far in the first day’s fighting: 4th “Smolenskaya” proved to be quite well armed and not prepared to give up ground without a struggle. Another battle that could go either way.

Polen Army Sud (Rommel)

Sudfinalend.jpg

As might be expected, General Rommel was not about to allow his divisional commanders time to celebrate the capture of Moskva. With the weather forecasters now certain that the clear weather will end within days, Rommel insisted that every effort be made to both cripple the Red Army and gain a foothold on the east bank of the Oka River. General von Pannwitz was possibly too keen. He ordered 75.ID to move just after midnight on Sunday, and was soon in trouble. He was met by two tank divisions backed by infantry: all on their last legs, but still a powerful force.

It was not long before von Pannwitz called for help. On the plains, his infantry were at a distinct disadvantage. To his shame, he was ordered to hand over control to General Keppler, and then withdraw his unit for replenishment. (Several officers here in Berlin tell me that von Pannwitz was hard done by, as it was more likely lack of supply than lack of skill or determination that led to his difficulties. That may be, but 71.ID must live with the opprobrium of having been recalled from combat). Keppler has his own 1st leichte Panzer and von Hubicki’s 7th Panzer, but Polen Sud HQ is concerned the situation is getting worse, as though one Soviet armour unit has withdrawn it has been replaced by a cavalry division and three motorised infantry divisions.

Symptomatic of the confusion existing around the boundary between Polen Army Nord and Sud, Gallenkamp’s 87.ID (Sud) was ordered to take the province of Sergiev Posad, north of Moskva, at the same time as 60.ID (Nord) was fighting for Serpuhov, south of the capital. Perhaps with winter OB Ost can sort out the mess that has developed since Barbarossa began. The intermingling of forces did not upset Gallenkamp, who quickly disposed of the Soviets, who were gone by midnight on 21st.

Balkans Army (Guderian)

Balkansfinalend.jpg

Soon after dawn on Sunday the Russians gave up any hope of holding Livny. 22.ID took surprisingly low casualties considering the defenders had the benefit of heavy forest cover.

Petersen was still setting up his HQ in Livny when the next stage on the drive on the Don River began. 386.ID (mot) drove into Pokrovskoye, just south of Livny, just after dawn, and immediately ran into trouble. 129th Strelkovaya was well hidden in the forests, and General Sharokhin had somehow been able to inspire his men to resist. Late on Friday 29th Strelkovaya was still in control of at least half the province and 21 Gorno-Kavaleriy was known to be moving up to assist.

A rather unexpected victory report came from Zyimiv, where General Meise and his combined Italo-German force defeated 221st Motorizavannaya. It was at some cost, however, and it was clear who had borne the brunt of the fighting. 1st Divisione Alpina “Taurinese” lost 120 men. The casualty list from 345.ID (mot) was nearly four times that. It was decided that the Germans should garrison the province, but 345.ID ran into more fighting with 221 Motorizavannaya and suffered more casualties (and exhausted its supplies) in defeating them again. As a result, it has been ordered to remain in Valky while the newly arrived 74.ID (mot), just transferred from 2nd schwere Panzerkorps, has been sent to ensure no Russian stragglers remain in Zymiyiv.

Kradfinal.jpg

A kradschützen unit of 74.ID leads a convoy of trucks into Zymiyiv

Enough supply was scrounged up to fuel and arm 98.ID (mot) and General Phleps made sure none of it was wasted. His men tore into 14th Kaveleriy in Mtsensk as dusk fell on Thursday and kept moving through the night. His victory message was received by General de Angelis at 2nd Motorkorps HQ at 6AM on Friday.

Österreich Army (von Kluge)

Ostfinalend.jpg

The southern end of the front is still in chaos after the last re-organisation of army objectives. Units are moving east, west and south. In the disorfer, however, von Lützow was able to scrounge enough supplies to launch an attack into Horlivka. The enemy was our old foe, General Popov, and his 14th Tankovaya, a unit that must have in near continuous action since the start of Unternehmen Barbarossa. The tankers may have been tired, but it cost 163.ID three days and more than 300 men to dislodge the Russians. Von Lützow decided not to advance, and several units of II Állandó Hadsereg have started to move forward to occupy the province.

The scuttle but in the corridors is all about poor General Brand. He is in disgrace, not only with his immediate commander, Jännecke, but with General von Kluge himself. Brand assured both 1st Gebirgsjägerkorps and Österreich Army that while the going was hard, 3rd Gebirgsjäger Division would be able to take Barvinkove without help. Now he has been fought to a standstill and his men are resting while smiling Hungarian troops pass them to the front. He lost nearly 1,000 men in his failed attempt to clear the area, and von Kluge is reportedly furious: not because of the failure, that is to be expected occasionally, but the provision of over-optimistic battle updates. Apparently General Shvoy contacted Österreich Army HQ and offered to lend a division of the Hadtest should General von Kluge need some good troops. It is probably not true, but it has provoked much laughter in Berlin (and I suppose in Budapest too).

1 Hadtest (Shvoy)

Hungfinal.jpg

The Hungarians, after marching far to the south, at last were ready to resume offensive action. Their first effort was not impressive. 25 gyaloghadosztály was probably too lightly armed to take on Semenchuk’s motorised division, and although General Verres persevered for most of Thursday, as night fell he called his men back.

Hungarian20Machine-gunnerfinal.jpg

Confident: one of Verres’ men before the attack. He would need more than a machinegun to move the Soviet motorised division

Ukraine Army (Höhne)

Ukrfinalend.jpg

On the 22nd, reports reached Höhne’s headquarters (via Kirchner’s 2nd schwere Panzerkorps) that the Red Army had re-occupied Novooleksiyivka. General von Vietinghoff gennant Scheel, commander of 4th schwere Panzer Division, has been trying to manoeuvre his unit back from the Stalino area to secure the entry to the Crimea, but once again lack of supply has caused him to stop several times. He had reached Yakymivka, adjacent to Novooleksiyivka, and has identified a Soviet armour unit in the area.

No doubt von Vietinghoff was planning to retake Novooleksiyivka, but anything he had in mind was pre-empted by the Red Army. Late on the 22nd his men came under attack by Baranov’s 19th Tankovaya. 4th schwere PzD has not yet been fully upgraded and many of its tanks are still the rudimentary VK 3601(H) heavy tanks. The Russian vehicles are reported to be numerous if generally lightly armoured, and our troops are battling to hold their ground.

Finalised Battles for the period 19th to 24th October 1941

Livny: 50 (10,000): 210 (13,475)
Prjaza: 54 (19,986): 148 (18,800)
Horlivka: 316 (10,000): 256 (17,487)
1st Zymiyiv: 589 (15,986): 591 (31,859) (120 Italian, 469 German)
1st Dubna: 142 (19,999): 317 (8,743)
2nd Dubna: 188 (19,856): 789 (15,964)
Maksatiha: 16 (10,000): 32 (10,871)
Kalinin: 209 (39,985): 446 (14,772)
Rameski: 35 (9,996): 81 (10,154)
Barvinkove: 974 (9,791): 259 (28, 612)
Serpuhov: 182 (29,596): 205 (32, 688)
2nd Maksatiha: 190 (9,992): 542 (15,388)
Brusovo: 377 (20,000): 498 (20,564)
Udomlja: 9 (10,000): 75 (5,996)
Kazin: 91 (10,000): 120 (12,953)
2nd Zymiyiv: 82 (9,869): 125 (7,551)
Belev: 887 (22,000): 621 (40,529)
Kramatorsk: 53 (8,000): 28 (7,882) Hungarian
Mtsensk: 16 (9,996): 96 (5,998)
Sonkovo: 25 (9,994): 60 (9,797)

Total Battlefield Casualties for the period 19th to 24th October 1941

Hungarian: 53
Italian: 120
German: 4,312
Russian: 5,499

Prior Casualties

Hungarian: 2,731
Italian: 7,110
German: 376,946
Russian: 417,035

Total Battlefield Casualties to date

Hungarian: 53 + 2,731 = 2,784
Italian: 120 + 7,110 = 7,230
German: 4,312 + 376,946 = 381,258
Russian: 5,499 + 417,035 = 422,534

Bombing Summary for the period 19th to 24th October 1941

Luftwaffe

The VVS returned to the skies, clashing with 8th Kampfliegerkorps over Prjaza. Astakhov took his three fighter units (1, 4 and 31 IAD) took the area twice, both times inflicting heavy losses on our bombers. Wever reported losing 17 Junker 188 bombers and 9 Focke-Wulf escorts. As best we can determine, the Russians lost 15 aircraft, mainly older model I-15 and I-16 fighters.

Vorozheikin also interfered with the Luftwaffe’s operations over Dubna, but with less effect. The FW 190A pilots of 3rd Kampffliegerkorps did well, keeping bomber losses to just nine, while losing five fighters. It is not known how many fighters the VVS lost (out of the 230 committed) but they did not return and Kitzinger was able to continue his mission.

Dolgoye: Müller-Michels with 5th Kampffliegerkorps: 102, 153, 116 (371)
Kalinin: Weise with 5th Schlachtfliegerkorps: 132, 271, 114 (517)
Oka: Löhr with 2nd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 99, 198, 206, 113, 143, 132 (891)
Oka: Sperrle with 1st Kampffliegerkorps: 196
Oka: Weise with 5th Schlachtfliegerkorps: 182, 242, 205 (629)
Oka: Grauert with 4th and 7th Kampffliegerkorps: 177, 320, 141 (638)
Belev: Kitzinger with 3rd Kampffliegerkorps: 205, 381, 216, 380, 273, 383 (1,828)
Prjaza: Wever with 8th Kampffliegerkorps: 290, 124 (414)
Dubna: Weise with 5th Schlachtfleigerkorps: 134, 203, 294 (631)
Dubna: Keller with 7th Kampffliegerkorps: 184, 307, 156 (667)
Dubna: Kitzinger with 3rd Kampfliegerkorps: 174, 302, 151 (727)
Dubna: Grauert with 4th and 7th Kampffliegerkorps: 221, 317 (538)
Aleksin: Keller with 7th Kampffliegerkorps: 218, 222 (440)
Aleksin: Löhr with 2nd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 221, 169, 148 (538)
Serpuhov: Löhr with 2nd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 240, 238, 266 (744)
Serpuhov: Weise with 5th Schlachtfliegerkorps: 243, 264, 230, 236 (973)
Serpuhov: Löhr with 2nd and 5th Schlachtfliegerkorps and 1st Kampffliegerkorps: 280
Aleksin: Kitzinger with 3rd Kampffliegerkorps: 245, 267 (512)
Podporoz’e: Wever with 8th Kampffliegerkorps: 176, 134 (310)
Nagor’e: Weise with 5th Schlachtfliegerkorps: 116, 224, 182 (522)
Maksatiha: Kitzinger with 3rd KAmpffliegerkorps: 178
Plavsk: Grauert with 4th and 7th Kampffleigerkorps: 249, 341 (790)

Hitaircraftfinal.jpg

Not all our bombers make it home

VVS

The Russians hit Rösener’s 35.ID, despite the presence of an attacked Flak brigade. They only managed one mission, as Fisser’s Messerschmitts gave them a harsh lesson on the way home.

Zalegoshch’: Skripko with 72 and 10 ShAD: 59

Total Bombing Casualties for the period 19th to 24th October 1941

Hungarian: Nil
Italian: Nil
German: 59
Russian: 13,334

Prior Casualties

Hungarian: 128
Italian: 65
German: 5,222
Russian: 286,112

Total Bombing Casualties to date

Hungarian: Nil + 128 = 128
Italian: Nil + 65 = 65
German: 59 + 5,222 = 5,281
Russian: 13,334 + 286,112 = 299,446

East Front: Position at end of 24th October 1941

EastFrontfinal.jpg

Total East Front Casualties for the period 19th to 24th October 1941

Hungarian: 53 + Nil = 53
Italian: 120 + Nil = 120
German: 4,312 + 59 = 4,371
Russian: 5,499 + 13,334 = 18,833

Prior Casualties

Hungarian: 2,849
Italian: 7,175
German: 382,168
Russian: 703,147

Total East Front casualties to date

Hungarian: 53 + 2,849 = 2,902
Italian: 120 + 7,175 = 7,295
German: 4,371 + 382,168 = 386,539
Russian: 18,833 + 703,147 = 721,980

I wouldn't count on much advancing in winter unless you are near a harbour, in my own (limited) experience of winter war in Russia I'd say you are lucky if you hold what you got. That said my spearhead nearly reach Stalingrad, but at that timeit was the only unit in supply on the east front ...

Well, winter has started, although intermittent.

We will soon know how I go.

I thought I had better remind those who have forgotten, and those who couldn't face reading reading hundreds of pages to catch up.

This game is being played with the AI running most things. Everything is set at army level, and all land and air is handled by the AI except para/marine landings. Navl is human - I just being myself to allow the AI to sink the KM in an afternoon of madness. It tool me too many years to build.

So if a few things look strange, it is not me playing late at night after a session at the pub. Onthe other hand, strategic master strokes are obviously more likely my wonderful army directives than Paradox's software designers.

But I encourage every one to let go and allow the game to play rather than trying to be several hundred divsional commanders yourself. It can be frustrating but just feels more realistic than mocroplaying.

And you do sympathise with commanders who give clear orders only to see their subordinates go off on thier own mad schemes.

May be a few weeks for another update: exams 18th to 20th.

On the other hand, I may need some purely medicinal computer time to rest my aching brain cells.

Wow, looks like you'll almost be in Stalingrad when it's time to make your winter-line. Are you building infrastructure gradually towards the front or in narrow 'highways?'

Great update as always!

Great update!!! I am wishing winter to come for watching the reorganization of your army and cabinet. :cool::cool: