As historical as possible – my first HOI 3 AAR – Germany ’36 Campaign
I’m starting a game with Germany, trying to reach as much historical accuracy as possible.
Patch - 1.2
Difficulty – very hard.
I’ll try to:
- create the almost historical Axis with Italy, Hungary, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, and Finland
- not involve Japan, so it doesn’t go to war with the soviets
- conquer Poland, Denmark, Norway, Yugoslavia, Greece, and Soviet Union
- not conquering UK, but “helping” the Italians conquer North Africa (I have read that some people consider this gamey, so I’ll do the same)
- not getting involved in Spain (as much as I would like to see Nationalistic Spain victorious, because I’ve seen some games where the they get ass-kicked)
- concentrate land research on mobile units (as was the real case)
- concentrate naval research on battleships, destroyers and submarines
- concentrate air research on tactical air warfare; as Germany I’d like to conquer a country with the industry and infrastructure pretty much intact
- the only bit of strategic warfare would involve flying bombs/rockets on UK (as it happened)
- not sure about nukes, to go that way or not; it’s not about resources but historical accuracy
- improve my industry as much as possible through industry techs (compensating the very hard difficulty)
- stick to the blitzkrieg doctrines except for the "Operational Level Organization" tech which, in my opinion, shouldn’t be a part of the Human Wave doctrine group
- although it’s hard not to research ahead of time (with the high Leadership Germany has) I’ll try not to research more than 2 years ahead (I didn’t understand very well how the thing with the end of the year affects research, but even if I did, I wouldn’t use it because I consider it a cheat
- not concentrate leadership in this, except for spies at home performing counterespionage duties
- enact all the useful laws
- put all the conquered countries on collaboration government for the manpower bonus (this may not be to historical, but I will need the manpower)
- use the best ministers (I’m not going to put Himmler in charge as long as I have Goebbels wich gives me +5% LP, just for historical accuracy)
- promote and use the best generals (for example, I might use Rommel as a corps or army commander not as a division commander)
That’s all that I can think of right now. If I get new ideas I’ll post them.
Pretty interesting house rules, let's see how you do with them!
Read about my full body of AAR works here!
Fan of the Week 13/08/09