As historical as possible – my first HOI 3 AAR – Germany ’36 Campaign
I’m starting a game with Germany, trying to reach as much historical accuracy as possible.
Patch - 1.2
Difficulty – very hard.
I’ll try to:
- create the almost historical Axis with Italy, Hungary, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, and Finland
- not involve Japan, so it doesn’t go to war with the soviets
- conquer Poland, Denmark, Norway, Yugoslavia, Greece, and Soviet Union
- not conquering UK, but “helping” the Italians conquer North Africa (I have read that some people consider this gamey, so I’ll do the same)
- not getting involved in Spain (as much as I would like to see Nationalistic Spain victorious, because I’ve seen some games where the they get ass-kicked)
- concentrate land research on mobile units (as was the real case)
- concentrate naval research on battleships, destroyers and submarines
- concentrate air research on tactical air warfare; as Germany I’d like to conquer a country with the industry and infrastructure pretty much intact
- the only bit of strategic warfare would involve flying bombs/rockets on UK (as it happened)
- not sure about nukes, to go that way or not; it’s not about resources but historical accuracy
- improve my industry as much as possible through industry techs (compensating the very hard difficulty)
- stick to the blitzkrieg doctrines except for the "Operational Level Organization" tech which, in my opinion, shouldn’t be a part of the Human Wave doctrine group
- although it’s hard not to research ahead of time (with the high Leadership Germany has) I’ll try not to research more than 2 years ahead (I didn’t understand very well how the thing with the end of the year affects research, but even if I did, I wouldn’t use it because I consider it a cheat
- not concentrate leadership in this, except for spies at home performing counterespionage duties
- enact all the useful laws
- put all the conquered countries on collaboration government for the manpower bonus (this may not be to historical, but I will need the manpower)
- use the best ministers (I’m not going to put Himmler in charge as long as I have Goebbels wich gives me +5% LP, just for historical accuracy)
- promote and use the best generals (for example, I might use Rommel as a corps or army commander not as a division commander)
That’s all that I can think of right now. If I get new ideas I’ll post them.