• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Descartes

Lt. General
42 Badges
Oct 12, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 200k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I didn't like the idea of squeezing in this post somewhere else, so I'm starting up a new thread. It's not a major update, really, but I'm working on a new province window. Here's a little preview.

Province1.jpg

From left to right: owner, language, authority, settlement and governor.
I'll give you some more pictures soon enough.

That's a parameter called settlement size. I haven't introduced it in any DD yet, but it's already implemented in the mod. You know the "<province> grows" events? They increase settlement size. Since I've moved the province products to modifiers, I'm using the old trade goods to represent the size of the settlement in a province. This is very practical, since I can use the resource restriction command to enable certain buildings for larger cities only. Settlement size also affects what kind of units you can recruit in a province. Check common/buildings.txt and commond/tradegoods.txt for more info.

That's a parameter called settlement size. I haven't introduced it in any DD yet, but it's already implemented in the mod. You know the "<province> grows" events? They increase settlement size. Since I've moved the province products to modifiers, I'm using the old trade goods to represent the size of the settlement in a province. This is very practical, since I can use the resource restriction command to enable certain buildings for larger cities only. Settlement size also affects what kind of units you can recruit in a province. Check common/buildings.txt and commond/tradegoods.txt for more info.

Brilliant! This last iteration is coming along very well. Thank you for all your efforts.

I like the background colour, are you replacing the "reddish" background you had before with this colour ?
Yup. It feels more Roman, imo.
Btw, thanks for the comments, everyone. I change my mind pretty often when it comes to aesthetic matters, so knowing you like my new style will hopefully prevent me from starting all over again. Cheers. :p

The new GUI is here. :)
First off is the new toolpane.
2009-10-26-1.jpg

The buttons are pretty small, but they're easy to click at. The picture below shows them in detail, with their paths in orange.
2009-10-26-2.jpg

As in vanilla, clicking on a province opens the province window.
2009-10-26-3.jpg

Here is a more detailed picture, with explanations in orange. Note that taxation doesn't show up properly in this picture, since I hadn't corrected that when it was taken. The country flag will also be adjusted to look more like it does in the preview from last Wednesday. Finally, I will also adjust the settlement entry, it's not functional atm.
2009-10-26-4.jpg

As you can see, I'm using Roman-looking miniatures to represent province parameters. I have avoided using text, to save space and give the GUI a more gamey feeling. Don't worry, though, the numbers are explained in detail if you hover the mouse over them. I'm not sure if I have mentioned my social classes somewhere else, but here they are: nobles, townsfolk, peasants and slaves. Another very unique feature is the province number, which you can see between the toolpane buttons.

All questions are welcome. Cheers!

It seems you have already taken a spouse...are you into polygamy? :D

Honestly, this is unbelievable what you have done. It looks like the 2nd expansion Rome has never had :eek:

Last edited:
Gods... Impressive!
Due to time restraint, I'll only play when 2.0 will be out, and I can tell you I can't wait

That is really good work, well done Descartes!

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

It seems you have already taken a spouse...are you into polygamy? :D
I wouldn't mind starting up a little harem, but we have to ask humpelheinz first. ;)

wow, it really looks good. Do we get another small version with this? Or will it first come in the final 2.0 version?
The GUI was the thing I really wanted to fix before 2.0, so I think I'll actually call the next "small version" 2.0. I want to start working on 2.1, you see. :p

The long bar at the bottom (centre and right), is that for province buildings ?
Yup. :)

Wow, this is impressive! That's far more than I've ever expected! I love the small romans and the usage of the space. It actually looks much more organic like it is now. Do you plan to change the rest of the interface to have the same look and functionality? Well, actually you already begun with the senate window etc.

great, great, great!

p.s.: I don't mind if there are more spouses, as long as they don't distract you from your project :D

Wow, this is impressive! That's far more than I've ever expected! I love the small romans and the usage of the space. It actually looks much more organic like it is now. Do you plan to change the rest of the interface to have the same look and functionality? Well, actually you already begun with the senate window etc.
Yeah, I'll try to use the same style in all windows. After all, I've made some pretty drastic changes to the game, so I need to redo most of the windows content-wise anyway.

p.s.: I don't mind if there are more spouses, as long as they don't distract you from your project :D
Alright, let's become one, happy family then. :D