• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

City Builder

Colonel
30 Badges
Jun 20, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities in Motion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Cities: Skylines
Hi again,

Couple more simple questions I hope.

1. Does time stop when I'm viewing the port screen?

2. I notice on the game time selector that I can choose 0, .5, 1, 2, 4. Is there any way to alter that so that I can choose 1.5? I find that when I wish to play at my normal thinking speed, that 1 is too slow, and 2 is too fast, so Im thinking that if there is a way to mod the game so that I can add in 1.5 times normal speed that would be grand. Is there a way to do this?

3. Can the ships models be modded? I'm comfortable with 3d modeling in programs such as 3DSMax (from when I took a college course) and many others, is there any toolsets put out that would allow me to create my own ship models and have them in the game? I only want to model the ships on the strategic screen level as the RTS screen they look nice, but on the strategy map screen they look well... not very good.

4. I know that I can change out the landscape textures, I saw the tutorial on that, (makes me wonder why they didn't use that dirt texture to begin with, it looks tremendously better)... Anyway, does anybody know of any mods that add high res texture overhaul to the strategic map landscape? I'd be looking for a mod preferably that does all the textures in new high res great looking textures.

5. Is there a way to change the model of the ports? I also read the tutorial on adding ports (and I may do that to add in some more ports to make the game maybe more interesting) but is there a way to change the port graphic itself? It's a bit too plain for my likes and so I'd like to try to re-model a port and insert it into the game to make it nicer looking.

6. I am tempted to get the pirates bay addon, since it's only about 8 dollars. But 8 dollar is 8 dollars. Was it worth it to those of you that bought it? I assume it's all about battling, and that you don't trade as a pirate, is that correct? So, perhaps if Im still using the auto resolve feature 80% of the time, then maybe pirate bay is not for me?

That's enough for one batch of questions, I don't want to overload anybody.

Thanks if you can tell me anything on this stuff.

I dont know much about modding but I thought it was funny when you were talking about your "thinking speed"

I wonder what my thinking speed is? Hmmmmm (scratches chin) ????????
Lol, Ill get back to you on that one.

About the Pirates Bay add-on: I am going to wait and see if they fix naval battles in the developers choice patch/add-on. If naval battles work better then I am definetley going to buy Pirates Bay.

7. How to you make a pact with other companies? I understand the mechanics of how to do it in the diplomacy window, but I figure there must be a way to make my company friendlier with other companies. I just did a really stupid mission where my Crown wanted me to make a pact with Spain and they would give me an untold reward. It cost me over 165,000£ to get them to accept the pact. The untold reward was 5695£ (yeah, five thousand pounds). This got me thinking, perhaps there are other ways to get the AI to be friendly enough to make a pact with me. But since the only options I have in the diplomacy window is to offer the pact and gold, I fail to see how else it might be done.

//Side note: Are the naval battles badly broken or only the auto resolve broken? Today I've been doing a whole lot of fleeing when I can since I get jumped by the pirates and I'm a lone flute and they've got the whole pirate armada ready to battle my dinky little ship. I've learned that even if it appears that I might have the upper hand when viewing the stats before the battle, I can't reliably use auto resolve as it causes a defeat far too many times when I don't believe that it should, so instead I go into battle and try to flee if I can. More times than not, Im able to flee and keep my ship and cargo.

8. One more that came up in my mind when talking about the battles. There seems to be a couple different indicators on the battle map screen. There is the huge arrow at the top of the screen (I'd guess that is either the direction of the enemy or the direction of the wind), then there is the round indicator on the edge of the minimap that has the wind speed in it, and I would guess that is also a wind speed and direction indicator, and then there is the flag on the top of my main sale, that seems to blow in the breeze which again, I would guess is an indication of which way the wind is blowing. However none of them seem to coincide. My flag might be blowing east, and the wind speed indicator on the minimap might have it's point, pointing to the south west, and the large arrow at the top of the screen might be pointing full west.

1. Yes, speed is set to zero when you click on a port to open it up.

2. Not sure how much of the user interface is modable or the controls.

3. Yes, they can, you can see some of someones mods in the the mods directory. I am not sure what format they are in.

4. Not sure you can change the resolution of the textures, that might be predetermined. But that is a question someone more familiar with modding and this program then I.

5. Hmmm....Not sure you can, but you might be able to. I would think you can, but you also would need control of the movable people and such in 3D mode so that is alot more complicated.

6. I would assume it would be better to be more into the combats because I believe just like the original game your crew and captains gain no experience from auto-resolving, also by auto resolving a battle you will probably lose experience. Its basically about build a fleet and maintaining it. But again, the limits because if you want to capture a vessel you need to have less then 5 ships. And that is one way to make money in the pirates side is to board and capture ships from the companies, but since boarding is hard to do so far, it makes pirates side hard to d, so maybe not worth the extra money for some people.

7. Every time you successfully negotiate with another company, you get a boost to your relations, but the more favorable to their side the better. One good way to get a good relation is to capture a port and give it to them, doesnt matter if it is really useful to them, one good example is Bandar Abbas, I see no good reason to hold that port.

8. I thought the big arrow was the direction of true north As for the other ones I thought the one on the minimap shows what direction the wind is blowing from. Your blowing flag should point oposite of wind blowing from showing wind direction. But not 100% sure.