• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No VV installs over your existing EU:R.

Yes.

sigh.. I still get the same message.

I install europa into the folder it tells me, I put VV into that folder which creates a sub folder on its own when installed.

I install the patch into the europa folder, not the one I think is VV. if that didn't work I install the patch again into the VV folder. I get a new error message when I do that.

I will try to put it only into the VV folder or something.

"VV folder"? VV is supposed to overwrite your original game files, not create its own folder. I suggest you uninstall (after backing up savegames etc that you want to keep) and start over again.

"VV folder"? VV is supposed to overwrite your original game files, not create its own folder. I suggest you uninstall (after backing up savegames etc that you want to keep) and start over again.

thanks a lot Hardradi, stryhf and Cheexsta.

I don't know where I went wrong before, but I got it.. didn't think I had to dump everything in one folder lol.

edit: apparently whenever I click on a nation and hit play, my game crashes.. ugh. what the hell now.

Last edited:
Haddradi

i played my first games with this mode and let me tell it is the first time rome is really worth playing for me in a while. Now i noticed two things. First the dardanian kingdom of this era should not include taulanti province as since king glaukia time 335 bc taulanti province was independent under an hereditary monarchy of glaukia and his descenents till 251 bc when they got invaded by Ardiaei. second every tie the game starts the ardiaei king `goes to work for the dalmatia. is this a bug

Haddradi

i played my first games with this mode and let me tell it is the first time rome is really worth playing for me in a while. Now i noticed two things. First the dardanian kingdom of this era should not include taulanti province as since king glaukia time 335 bc taulanti province was independent under an hereditary monarchy of glaukia and his descenents till 251 bc when they got invaded by Ardiaei. second every tie the game starts the ardiaei king `goes to work for the dalmatia. is this a bug

Hi Agim,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the mod.

Adding Dardania was actually the first bit of modding I ever did. I have done a fair amount of research on the Illyrians in the past, as I wanted to write something on the Illyrian Wars. I am restricted to English for secondary sources so if you have some other information I would love to know it.

I have based the Dardanian occupation of Tualanti on the following:
- Monunius, circ. B.C. 300 or 280, king of the Dardanian Illyrians. He occupied Dyrrhachium and struck money there of the Dyrrhachian type. Link: http://www.snible.org/coins/hn/illyricum.html
- Monunius and the Dardanians were a real power at the time of the celtic invasion of Greece. His name is attested in a few different sources. This website sums them up: http://www.illyrians.org/illyriankings.html
- Also this is the main source in English (which I am restricted to): http://books.google.com.au/books?id=iOWS4i5X9fgC&pg=PA146&lpg=PA146&dq=The+Illyrians+Monunius&source=bl&ots=9Pd73k_scq&sig=LDcKV04Yx2zv-ENYCBB04bMwinE&hl=en&ei=f2ZpS4fJIIHo7APKwqC5Bg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CBcQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=The%20Illyrians%20Monunius&f=false. In my mind you can only put it together and say that this has to be the same guy.​

I'll check out the problem with the Ardiaei King.

Sorry for the late answer hadradi just to much in real life. Now good resourses you re using there but no offence many of them are now antiquated. The book of wilkes although deals in detail is written in 1992 and due to a rarity in books in west is still taken as "the bible" of iilyrian world. Since 1992 9the book itself was based on findings till 1988-89. many facts are coming out especially in the 2000-s. Let me tell you just that regarding king monunios we dont know a lot and sure there is a hint that he might have been dardanian but if you analyse more in detail where his predecessor and his succesor mytili ruled and the dynasty they belonged to we know for sure he was a taulanti. we now have even lovated the capital of mytili which most likely was the citadel of gure zeza close to ancient byllis.Monun has been a mystery because except 27 coins we dont know a lot from him. Most likely he ruled 282 275 bc. mytili though even invaded dyrrachium and minted its own coins. Most likely it was there Glaukia sheltered Pyrro his kin from the ajakid family. he himself was an illyro pellazgian. Just the fact he fought to spread hellnism doesn make him more greek than alexander roots were. even the bylines were purely illyrian (if you belive such amatorial website as wikipedia its another story). however sorry time is not an asset for me right now. ill pursue on this as soon as i have time.

Great, I would really like to know the other information you have.

Are you proposing the Tualanti, with the dynasty of Glaucis => Monunius => Mytilus ?

Hadradi. In 1980 in the actual region of mallakastra 9wher Byllis is located) in 1980 in the village of Kreshpan was discovered a royal treasury. Only in the year 2001 was put entirely to light. The site was the illyrian citadell of gurezeza founded on the first third half of fourth century bc. The only time we know by ancient scripts for monun is in 280 when he participates in the war for the throne of macedonia (prologue 24 book of Trogu). There we found 27 coins with his name. We know for fact that he was ruler of dyrrachium at that time because his coins had the symbols of the city of dyrrachium which one calf drinking milk from his mother cow and on the other side a stylised square with the name of the city and monun on the other side. Most likely his royal city was where today we have the ruins of a 30 hectares site at what we call the craddle of illyrian civilisation where in less than 700 square km we have 5 cities which by 3 century bc were inhabitated by almost 100000 people a huge number for that time. Most likely monun ruled 282-270 before however there is a mystery because we know glaukia had a descendent bardhylli the II who was not respected by pirro because he invaded beyond aous river (today vjosa). Monun most likely was inheritatet by Mytili his son. Now we know that Bardhylli the II was king from 295 till 282 and the only explanation is that his name was dardanian in orygin and most likely is correct to assume that he was descendent of the extinguisghed dynasty of Bardhylli through his son Klitus. So after Glaukia Monun who ruled till 270 when his su=on Mytili came into power we can correctly take into account the onomastic as well as the royal city as well as the abundance of the material who bring into an unevitable and undeniable fact that Glaukia dynasty was followed by monun and after him mytili. Bardhylli was only another illyrian and most likely it was the time when Dardanians were able to extend their rule in Taulantis domain although never entirely. The royal coins as well as the rule from 313 to at least 250 uninterrupted in dyrrach by taulantis means that their royal house did not stop to exercise their hegemonia till after 260 bc after mytili death. Therefore Glaukia should be followed by monuni and after him by Mytili. Then we know that the Ardiaei were able to invade with their king Pleurati I in 252-251 bc as well in game region of taulanti and half of today macedonia( the province of macedonia in game is so wrong because it should have an eastern half completely illyricised. That part was inhabitated by two of the most ancient illyrian tribes Dasarete and Enchelleae. For 120 years it was contested with the macedonians this province where pellion, Antipetrea, Lychnid and many other ancient cities were located.
Another day i would like to open a public debate on if it is correct to call epirus culture Greek or no.
Also have you though on adding some provinces for the balkans areas. Let not forget we need at least 20-25 more only in south balkans to have this game reflect the territorial changes of the time properly.
Greetings

By the way i would be happy to help with many of the province datas in case you decide to pursue this "enlargment". Also no offence to the Greek players of this forum because of what i said for Epir although i admire their ancient culture and what they gave to the civilisation as every archeolog does let us not forget the ancient Greece even to their ancient writers as herodotus or Thycidides ended at Epir which inhabitants were called Barbaros except for their ruling house of Ajakides. However the fact for epirus to have a greek culture in this game ( which i recognise is only a game i am not one of those balkan nationalists) leaves a bitter taste as not an historical fact in my conscience.

Great mod Hardradi! I am particularly enjoying all the Greek state decisions. After a couple of short games, I decided to take an interesting route with the Nesiotic League decision and make an AAR out of it (see sig)

I have a couple of questions/suggestions/possible bugs

--It would be cool if you could post a list of all the possible Release Greek State, Land Holdings, Wonders, and Diadochi Decisions. Particularly the Greek States, because many don't show up until they are actually available I don't know they exist, so I keep discovering more decisions! Which maybe is what makes it exciting, I suppose.

--I was wondering if you were planning on adding more Greek State or other Release Nation Decisions. I conquered Massilia and Emporion in a game, and was hoping to release them (in the hopes of turning them from Roman tributary into allies on Rome's western front). Also possibly being able to release some non-Greek but "civilized" cultures, such as liberating the Italian cultures from Roman oppression, the Egyptians from the Ptolemaic Greeks or liberating the Numidians, Jews, Phoenicians, Armenians, etc etc

--This might be a bug, but sometimes Rome starts at war with Pyrrhus' coalition of allies and sometimes not. In any case, they always get stomped (though it is at least a little harder than vanilla). I think you should try starting Pyrrhus off with an army in Italy
-Along with this, in this mod almost every time Epirus declares war on Carthage or vice versa during the first year, which causes Epirus to get doubly stomped and usually ends up with Carthage invading western Greece right off the get go. For Carthage, perhaps adding cores or missions in Iberia or Numidia might give incentive for them to start there, for Epirus I'm not sure why they would declare war on Carthage when they're already fighting Rome but they do.

--Playing as a Greek OPM I've tried to join the Macedonian civil war by allying Keraunos and defeating Antigonous, but for some reason after Antigonus is defeated I am still at war with 'Macedonia' but also allied with the rebels who are now 'Macedonia'. Keraunos then proceeds to conquer me. This is a strange bug that I only encounter in your mod, but it may just be a 2.31 or vanilla bug that I just haven't seen elsewhere.

--Not sure why Boii controls Bononia. It forces Rome to mount an expedition deep into Germania just to take Bononia, and after that they basically get an unrealistic faraway tributary state to boot.

--Also in the game I played as Rome, for some reason I did not need a Casus Belli to declare war on almost anyone, not just tribes. This included Carthage and some of the Greek states. And I did not have any type of Conquer Carthage mission or core on their territory. Might be a bug? Not sure what that was about.

--In addition to what I said above, some kind of incentive for Carthage to conquer Iberia would be nice, they seem overly concerned with Greece.

-Maybe some more stuff I forgot about. Anyway might seem like a lot of criticism but its meant to be constructive. I'm really enjoying this mod, definitely my favorite!:)

Last edited:
Great mod Hardradi! I am particularly enjoying all the Greek state decisions. After a couple of short games, I decided to take an interesting route with the Nesiotic League decision and make an AAR out of it (see sig)!:)

Thanks for the comments and interest. I will have to check out your AAR :D

I have a couple of questions/suggestions/possible bugs

--It would be cool if you could post a list of all the possible Release Greek State, Land Holdings, Wonders, and Diadochi Decisions. Particularly the Greek States, because many don't show up until they are actually available I don't know they exist, so I keep discovering more decisions! Which maybe is what makes it exciting, I suppose.

There is a directory with the mod called "Other documentation". It has some of what you want but has become rapidly out of date.

--I was wondering if you were planning on adding more Greek State or other Release Nation Decisions. I conquered Massilia and Emporion in a game, and was hoping to release them (in the hopes of turning them from Roman tributary into allies on Rome's western front). Also possibly being able to release some non-Greek but "civilized" cultures, such as liberating the Italian cultures from Roman oppression, or liberating the Numidians, Jews, Phoenicians, Armenians, etc etc

There are more greek states on the way along with map changes. ;) Yes, I definately need to include more release nation decisions. Partularly for the vanilla countries. The latest version allows you to release the Phoenicians and you should be able to release the greeks in southern Italy.

--This might be a bug, but sometimes Rome starts at war with Pyrrhus' coalition of allies and sometimes not. In any case, they always get stomped (though it is at least a little harder than vanilla). I think you should try starting Pyrrhus off with an army in Italy, like the vanilla event.
-Along with this, in this mod almost every time Epirus declares war on Carthage or vice versa during the first year, which causes Epirus to get doubly stomped and usually ends up with Carthage invading western Greece right off the get go. For Carthage, perhaps adding cores or missions in Iberia or Numidia might give incentive for them to start there, for Epirus I'm not sure why they would declare war on Carthage when they're already fighting Rome but they do.

Not sure why Rome wouldnt start at war with the Pyrrhus Coalition. I will check it out but I havent seen it happen yet.
Yes, I like they way Cheexsta did the Phyrric war in TCM by having Pyrrhus start in Italy.
The Epirote War with Carthage triggers via a custom event. When Syracuse is besieged they go running to Pyrrhus and request his help. The AI always picks war but there are three options for the player. I might adjust the Carthaginian starting forces again so that this doesnt happen as quickly. Later when I mod the map of sicily it should also help. What I might do is adjust it (if possible) to that their is peace between Phyrrhus and Rome, like what actually happaned.

--Playing as a Greek OPM I've tried to join the Macedonian civil war by allying Keraunos and defeating Antigonous, but for some reason after Antigonus is defeated I am still at war with 'Macedonia' but also allied with the rebels who are now 'Macedonia'. Keraunos then proceeds to conquer me. This is a strange bug that I only encounter in your mod, but it may just be a 2.31 or vanilla bug that I just haven't seen elsewhere.

Mmm, not sure. Who are you playing as in this case ?

--Not sure why Boii controls Bononia. It forces Rome to mount an expedition deep into Germania just to take Bononia, and after that they basically get an unrealistic faraway tributary state to boot.

I have treated the Boii in Bohemia and Bononia as the same tribe. Maybe I will consider two seperate but allied tribes. I will look into this.

--Also in the game I played as Rome, for some reason I did not need a Casus Belli to declare war on almost anyone, not just tribes. This included Carthage and some of the Greek states. And I did not have any type of Conquer Carthage mission or core on their territory. Might be a bug? Not sure what that was about.

I believe that this is becuase of Rome's high starting civilisation level. Several other people have mentioned it but its the same in Vanilla. The value IMHO is to high and I am looking to reduce it.

--In addition to what I said above, some kind of incentive for Carthage to conquer Iberia would be nice, they seem overly concerned with Greece.

It the custom Pyrrhus event I mentioned above which draws them to Epirus. Plus their powerful fleet doesnt help. There was actually a "form" of alliance between them and Rome during the Pyrrhic War but they were fairly passive. I have reduced their starting fleet by taking out a start event I had in. I will have to think about what I can do to distract them from Greece.

-Maybe some more stuff I forgot about. Anyway might seem like a lot of criticism but its meant to be constructive. I'm really enjoying this mod, definitely my favorite!:)

I appreciate the feedback.

Hardradi [I said:
There are more greek states on the way along with map changes. ;) Yes, I definately need to include more release nation decisions. Partularly for the vanilla countries. The latest version allows you to release the Phoenicians and you should be able to release the greeks in southern Italy.[/I]

Yes, I got the Italiote League decisions and Tarentum; I was referring to releasing the Samnites, Etruscans, etc, because as a Greek nation I wanted to keep Magna Graecia but not the Italia provinces. For a Greek empire it would be nice if you conquered Rome then break up the Italia provinces both to cripple Rome yet provide a nice buffer against the barbs to the north. I had not seen the Phoenician decision, I just assumed it wasn't in because all them have been Greek so far.

Honestly I just love the release decisions. Adds a whole new element to the game, especially for roleplaying. It would take a lot of work I imagine, but having the ability to release just about any nation in the game would be downright awesome :)

Not sure why Rome wouldnt start at war with the Pyrrhus Coalition. I will check it out but I havent seen it happen yet.

It happened once for the computer that I saw - well they waited for a year, but by that time a couple of the countries dropped out of the coalition. And playing Rome myself I just decided to wait on fighting them until I had dealt with the Etruscans and Boii. And again by that time the Brutii and Tarentum dropped their alliance which made it that much easier. I would just start them at war with Rome

Yes, I like they way Cheexsta did the Phyrric war in TCM by having Pyrrhus start in Italy.

Definite must IMHO

The Epirote War with Carthage triggers via a custom event. When Syracuse is besieged they go running to Pyrrhus and request his help. The AI always picks war but there are three options for the player. I might adjust the Carthaginian starting forces again so that this doesnt happen as quickly. Later when I mod the map of sicily it should also help. What I might do is adjust it (if possible) to that their is peace between Phyrrhus and Rome, like what actually happaned.

Ah I see, I hadn't played as Carthage or Epirus yet so I didn't know that. I noticed that Syracusae went to Epirus after a time and I figured that was scripted, but then I was confused why Epirus would declare war on Carthage

Mmm, not sure. Who are you playing as in this case ?

The Nesiotic League. Tried it a couple times trying to get Argolis right off the bat but same thing happened both times and had to restart. Ended up going for Rhodes instead, which for the AAR/interestingness factor I think was better anyway.

I have treated the Boii in Bohemia and Bononia as the same tribe. Maybe I will consider two seperate but allied tribes. I will look into this.

My historical knowledge of the Boii is nonexistent but I would assume these two tribes were not led by same leader/government. Definitely would split them up imho. Though in a couple games they declared independence as a new tribe anyway.

I believe that this is becuase of Rome's high starting civilisation level. Several other people have mentioned it but its the same in Vanilla. The value IMHO is to high and I am looking to reduce it.

I definitely agree. Also some of Rome's northern provinces should be reduced IMHO, they colonize north way too quickly. Honestly I think the MG cities should have the highest civ in Italy and let the civ filter its way up the peninsula. Hopefully that would delay Rome's colonization for a few years to be more historically accurate

It the custom Pyrrhus event I mentioned above which draws them to Epirus. Plus their powerful fleet doesnt help. There was actually a "form" of alliance between them and Rome during the Pyrrhic War but they were fairly passive. I have reduced their starting fleet by taking out a start event I had in. I will have to think about what I can do to distract them from Greece.

Well this is definitely interesting because every game except the current Nesiotic League game Carthage has either annexed Epirus or forced them into tribute. In the NL game, they nearly annexed Paionia which controlled Taulanti at the time as well, but luckily Epirus drove them out and got peace. You can see Paionia occupied by Carthage in one of the pictures in the AAR.

I appreciate the feedback

You're very welcome. Keep up the great work.

Also another idea I've had that I've been looking for in any mod is some sort of Gallic resistance by event or something. Vanilla Rome always steamrolls through Gaul extremely early and without any effort. I was wondering if some sort of event could be scripted that whenever a non-Celtic/Germanic/Iberian nation attacks a Gallic nation, it causes several Gallic nations to instantly ally and declare war on that nation. Or if you could need a CB for Gallic nations. Just a thought, probably could be fine-tuned into a much better thought.

Last edited:
Hardradi,

I've recently gotten back to Rome with your mod and I'm enjoying it. I haven't played enough to offer too many suggestions yet, but I can tell you I'm currently running a game as Olbia and I'm dedicated to creating a Black Sea empire with a squid on the flag.

Makes me hungry for calamari. :)

Hardradi,

I've recently gotten back to Rome with your mod and I'm enjoying it. I haven't played enough to offer too many suggestions yet, but I can tell you I'm currently running a game as Olbia and I'm dedicated to creating a Black Sea empire with a squid on the flag.

Makes me hungry for calamari. :)

Glad your enjoying the mod. Yes, I am partial to a bit of calamari as well, accompanied by a nice beer or white wine and a nice day by the ocean.

Next release will have map changes.