• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes coudl have been around that time...but i just could continue the autosave without problem...the real problem are the Romans...i was dumb enoought ot release that Italaoen league in southern Italy, or whatever its called, and expand 2 provinces into Africa instead. Result ist Rome attacked the league rather soon, i was an ally and even when joined by 2 province Akragas, my ally we were run over in no time. Reloading and not coming to the leagues help doesnt do anything either, Rome just runs over me then later...just cant stop the big red blob, those suckers even guaranteed me just to attack 2 months later... :mad:

The fleet tactic wont work too , i can afford about 10 ships max , while they come at me with stacks of 15 ships. the army situation is about the same sadly. Guess ill just have to take another nation a little further away from a big power, i still think this has alaways been the biggest problem of rome, the map setup just doesnt allow you to play as a minor and survice without massive conquering spree, hell i even did a rather massive one and are no match to rome even with allies.

P.S. Soemhow your mod makes me get involved with the characters a lot better , not CK style but a lot better. Being a tyrany and not having to keep an eye on the senate probably helps too.

Yes, the big 5 are dangerous for any small/medium nation in the game. What about offering them tribute as a temporary measure?

I am glad you like the character side, I have tried to focus on that to a certian extent. Two things I have been thinking about are:

1) Regency event - if heir inherits throne under age , the mother has a chance of taking over as regent;
2a) Historical character title - create a historical character title, so historical characters can be identified in the game and perhaps give them a prominance boost - the only downside is I would have to add it to every historical character in the game
3b) Offspring of a Historical character title - this title will identify all characters that are descendents of historical characters.

hi! i have a problem with the mod, it crashes during the texture loading (province 268, i think)....i've got rome gold (from gamer's gate) with the last patch....i downloaded the province texture in the download thread and put them in the texture folder.....but vanilla game works fine!.....suggestions?

Did you put the textures in the mod directory or the map directory?

I am glad you like the character side, I have tried to focus on that to a certian extent. Two things I have been thinking about are:

1) Regency event - if heir inherits throne under age , the mother has a chance of taking over as regent;
2a) Historical character title - create a historical character title, so historical characters can be identified in the game and perhaps give them a prominance boost - the only downside is I would have to add it to every historical character in the game
3b) Offspring of a Historical character title - this title will identify all characters that are descendents of historical characters.

Yes please on 2a and 3b! I can usually recognize some historical characters for the major powers, but there are major prestigious dynasties (Zagreid, Vodenosid, etc.) where I have no clue if they're real or filler created by the game... And recognizing descendants of real people gets hard as daughters marry and have children with the family name of some minor game-generated person.

Good idea on the regency. In general I'd think regencies should be a lot nastier. In my still slowly ongoing game from a few beta patches and many Epigoni versions ago, the second Roman Emperor was the infant grandson of the first - the father was killed in one of those rival assassination events. While I'm glad the game let me get through the next 18 years smoothly, by all rights that should have been a time of major revolts and intrigue. I noticed the game seemed to reset the baby Emperor's popularity to 60% each month(?), which really helped since of course there's no way to raise it at that age.

How is the eastward map expansion coming along? I figure that plus these historical character flags is probably what will drag me kicking and screaming into 2.32. I don't like the sound of the WW1-style alliance cascades people have reported with the new patch.

Map directory..

Mmm, well that is right. Have you tried any of the other map mods, Lofmans or Reign of the Ancients? Do they work for you?

Yes please on 2a and 3b! I can usually recognize some historical characters for the major powers, but there are major prestigious dynasties (Zagreid, Vodenosid, etc.) where I have no clue if they're real or filler created by the game... And recognizing descendants of real people gets hard as daughters marry and have children with the family name of some minor game-generated person.

Good news, I got the 2a option working last night and have put in the groundwork for 2b. :D Just have to test that this works as well now.

Good idea on the regency. In general I'd think regencies should be a lot nastier. In my still slowly ongoing game from a few beta patches and many Epigoni versions ago, the second Roman Emperor was the infant grandson of the first - the father was killed in one of those rival assassination events. While I'm glad the game let me get through the next 18 years smoothly, by all rights that should have been a time of major revolts and intrigue. I noticed the game seemed to reset the baby Emperor's popularity to 60% each month(?), which really helped since of course there's no way to raise it at that age.

I am thinking of making a regency, a new form of government to give it some spice but I dont have any ideas at the moment other than having the mother take over regency in some circumstances. Do you have any thoughts?

How is the eastward map expansion coming along? I figure that plus these historical character flags is probably what will drag me kicking and screaming into 2.32. I don't like the sound of the WW1-style alliance cascades people have reported with the new patch.

I am back working on it now despite the threat of an expansion which may make it all obsolete. The province histories are mostly done, added a few indian characters and new cultures and religion on the weekend.

I still have quite a few positions to do and no doubt a few things I havent thought of yet (like regions, etc).

Its going to look a bit clunky at first, with regards to province positioning and the terrain map, but the idea is to get it working and released and then fix up this stuff after.

Have you considered making (nearly) every province inhabited, a la Crusader Kings? It would make expansion more interesting, a Gaullish/Germanic game more individual and colonisation less of a chore.

I am thinking of making a regency, a new form of government to give it some spice but I dont have any ideas at the moment other than having the mother take over regency in some circumstances. Do you have any thoughts?

I would expect a regency to have several competing factions. The mother, adult male relatives (uncles and perhaps bastard older brothers of the underage king), and ministers unrelated to the royal family. The mother would want the underage king to reach his maturity, but my recollection is that such regents tended to have trouble with the nobility/military and often didn't last long. Older male relatives could go either way, they could be loyal and effective regents, or they could seek an opportunity to get rid of the kid and keep the throne for themselves (one would expect that they'd be the heir in most of the game's forms of succession). For the Ptolemies, add sisters and aunts to the mix here. Non-family ministers could also be loyal, but I'd think would take the shot at usurping the throne if given half a chance.

How to translate that into events is beyond my skill. Obviously there's a lot of fun to be had with traits - maybe set up a default mtth of about 18 years (so 50-50 chance of that event happening in a maximum length regency) and have large modifiers for things like ambitious, etc. The king's age and stats should also be modifiers if that doesn't make things too crazy. Easier to get rid of a baby than a 15 year old. For stats, some sort of age threshold would be needed. Don't penalize a baby for stats of zero, but a teenager who still has really low (0-2, say) Charisma or Finesse could motivate a competitor to remove him for the good of the realm. Competitor stats and especially position should also have effects. Position may be more important than traits, actually. A Minister or governor with a bunch of loyal regiments should be quite likely to try something in a regency. Can the game tell if a loyal unit is a ship? I often burn a high martial character as an admiral - so what if they have 40+ loyal ships and no loyalty to my ruler, they can't do anything about it. I wouldn't want the game to think such a character had a viable shot at a civil war in a regency, though.

I'm not sure whether events should be more likely to produce civil wars or outright assassination and usurpation. Probably both types of events would be needed, triggering and modifying mtth based on different things. A change in dynasty would have to include a civil war, though it could be coupled with an assassination attempt to see which side is the Rebels tag.

It would might be interesting if an old and/or sick king could designate a desired regent. Which wouldn't necessarily be honored, of course. :) But something like that might be a way to transfer the old king's Friends (and Rivals!) to his heir if that heir does end up inheriting before coming of age.

Another random thought - can Affairs of State have a condition such that it won't fire if the king already has at least two female friends? My monarchs generally don't ever have male friends because they spend so much time screwing around with that event... :D Could be a problem in a future version where they need their Friends to protect their heir in a regency!

Thanks for the suggestions. Some of them will make great modifiers.

Here is a list of the current regency events:

EVTNAME4800 Advisor looting the treasury
EVTDESC4800 $CHARACTERNAME$ is bit a young to be ruling a country, but is determined to make the most of it. However one of $SUBJECT$ more corrupt advisors has been taking money from the treasury. However letting an advisor get rich is a sure way to keep them loyal.
EVTOPTA4800 As long as they are loyal
EVTOPTB4800 I’ll kill one to encourage the others
EVTOPTC4800 As long as I get my share​

EVTNAME4801 Advisor spending your money
EVTDESC4801 As a young monarch, $CHARACTERNAME$ hasn’t always got the time to keep track of $SUBJECT$ money. However it seems that an advisor has been spending some of $SUBJECT$ personal money to enhance their own popularity, and $CHARACTERNAME$’s too.
EVTOPTA4801 Well I can never be too popular
EVTOPTB4801 Someone has to die for this​

EVTNAME4802 Advisor is smearing your reputation?
EVTDESC4802 $CHARACTERNAME$ was shocked to find out that someone is smearing $SUBJECT$ reputation. The evidence suggests that a member of the regency council could be responsible. Is this a serious matter?
EVTOPTA4802 I care not
EVTOPTB4802 Two can play at this game
EVTOPTC4802 I think a vacancy on the council might help​

EVTNAME4803 Assassin
EVTDESC4803 $CHARACTERNAME$ has not been getting along well with $SUBJECT$ regency council. In fact it seems that at least one of the members is trying to kill $OBJECT$. Most people consider this to be an unacceptable situation.
EVTOPTA4803 I can do nothing without proof
EVTOPTB4803 I know an assassin too.​

EVTNAME4804 Civil War?
EVTDESC4804 The increasing arbitrary nature of the $CHARACTERNAME$ has left many people feeling scared about what will happen when $PRONOUN$ finally becomes old enough to rule in person. There is a danger that civil war could result
EVTOPTA4804 My hubris will never catch up with me
EVTOPTB4804 I’ll try to be more civil then​

Also this has been removed from vanilla EUR but reinstated into Epigoni at a reduced chance:

Code:
on_monarchy_ruler_change = {
	random_events = {
		2  = 540 # Ruler gets offed by more popular family member (monarchy) - EPIGONI MOD reinstated at 2 from 5
		2  = 541 # Disloyal Sibling decides to try for a civil war (monarchy) - EPIGONI MOD reinstated at 2 from 5
[U][B]		2  = 544 # Ambitious family member steals throne for underage ruler (monarchy) - EPIGONI MOD reinstated at 2 from 5[/B][/U]
		2  = 548 # Where their is not child of the previous ruler a popular member of the ruling	 family will go for it (monarchy) - EPIGONI MOD reinstated at 1 from 5
	           10  = 545 # Small monarchy decides to give state away in will rather than pass to different family
		8  = 547 # The heir of the dictator reinsitutes the republic (Dictatorship only) - EPIGONI MOD reinstated at 8 from 20
		90 = 0
	}
}

EVTNAME544 For the good of the family
EVTDESC544 It is clear that our country cannot have a young monarch on the throne at this critical juncture. So I think it is best if I as an adult member were to take the throne while our young monarch comes of age. I want to make this clear this is a temporary move, it is only temporary I fully intend to stand down the wee one gets a bit older. Honestly I have no long terms ambitions at all, this is just temporary
EVTOPTA544 It has to be done​

I will use this to build the regency event where the mother takes over. At last we might see a few women rulers appear. :eek:

Have you considered making (nearly) every province inhabited, a la Crusader Kings? It would make expansion more interesting, a Gaullish/Germanic game more individual and colonisation less of a chore.

I havent ever considered it because I sort of like the barbarinas in way. I just wish they were more moddable.

Also with Epigoni Mod I have generally restricted the mod to only include countries that were mentioned either in sources or on coins.

But I have also looked ahead beyond the 27BC end date to see what powers arose in Germania (ala Drusus's and Tiberius's campaigns). I have done a lot of work on this but there are a few things left to sort out. Once I do that, then Germania will have more nations. Some will appear late game and some will start out as a pre-tribal governments called Clan Confederacies. They represent the initial unification of the clans (eg, half the clans in the province), they will have no National Idea's and must somehow form into a tribe.

I would expect a regency to have several competing factions. The mother, adult male relatives (uncles and perhaps bastard older brothers of the underage king), and ministers unrelated to the royal family. The mother would want the underage king to reach his maturity, but my recollection is that such regents tended to have trouble with the nobility/military and often didn't last long. Older male relatives could go either way, they could be loyal and effective regents, or they could seek an opportunity to get rid of the kid and keep the throne for themselves (one would expect that they'd be the heir in most of the game's forms of succession). For the Ptolemies, add sisters and aunts to the mix here. Non-family ministers could also be loyal, but I'd think would take the shot at usurping the throne if given half a chance.

How to translate that into events is beyond my skill. Obviously there's a lot of fun to be had with traits - maybe set up a default mtth of about 18 years (so 50-50 chance of that event happening in a maximum length regency) and have large modifiers for things like ambitious, etc. The king's age and stats should also be modifiers if that doesn't make things too crazy. Easier to get rid of a baby than a 15 year old. For stats, some sort of age threshold would be needed. Don't penalize a baby for stats of zero, but a teenager who still has really low (0-2, say) Charisma or Finesse could motivate a competitor to remove him for the good of the realm. Competitor stats and especially position should also have effects. Position may be more important than traits, actually. A Minister or governor with a bunch of loyal regiments should be quite likely to try something in a regency. Can the game tell if a loyal unit is a ship? I often burn a high martial character as an admiral - so what if they have 40+ loyal ships and no loyalty to my ruler, they can't do anything about it. I wouldn't want the game to think such a character had a viable shot at a civil war in a regency, though.

I'm not sure whether events should be more likely to produce civil wars or outright assassination and usurpation. Probably both types of events would be needed, triggering and modifying mtth based on different things. A change in dynasty would have to include a civil war, though it could be coupled with an assassination attempt to see which side is the Rebels tag.

It would might be interesting if an old and/or sick king could designate a desired regent. Which wouldn't necessarily be honored, of course. :) But something like that might be a way to transfer the old king's Friends (and Rivals!) to his heir if that heir does end up inheriting before coming of age.

Another random thought - can Affairs of State have a condition such that it won't fire if the king already has at least two female friends? My monarchs generally don't ever have male friends because they spend so much time screwing around with that event... :D Could be a problem in a future version where they need their Friends to protect their heir in a regency!

amazing ideas, bravo!

And I like barbarians too...

Last edited:
I hadn't actually dug into the regency events file before. I like 4804, but I think having it only affect "arbitrary" underage kings is way too limiting. That trait should just be a modifier to mtth, IMHO. Removing it from the triggers might require rebalancing the mtth, as well.

In my game 4800 and 4801 happened several times and were utterly meaningless. Is there a sensible way to scale events to country size? As written those are probably OK for a regency in one of the Greek OPMs. As the Roman Empire, not so much. Treasury was over 8000 by then, so 25 here or there is irrelevant. Likewise character wealth for the major families, including the newly founded Imperial dynasty, was well over 10000 (may have been in the 20-30K range, I don't recall). So losing 500 character wealth was also completely meaningless. Not sure if Epigoni made it 500 or if I bumped it up by a factor of ten myself - still needs another factor of ten increase I think.

For 4802, if I read it correctly that requires the underage king to be horrendously unpopular (popularity < 10!) and of a family with almost impossibly low prestige (< 50, basically fresh out of the random family generator). I suppose it's possible for such regencies to occur sometimes, but only very rarely. Or maybe I misunderstood something. Likewise 4803 requires popularity < 50, which seems plausible except that I noticed my young Emperor always got reset to popularity = 60. I have no idea what governs that or if it can be modded away somehow. I guess the idea is probably to avoid babies automatically plummeting to zero popularity because they have zero Charisma, but if possible it would be better to disable the effect of the ruler's Charisma on his popularity until he comes of age.

Re: barbarians, I like them too. I think it's a good mechanic to represent occasional random threats to the border with central Europe. If those were a bunch of little OPM tribes, they'd never have the nerve to declare war (or the ability to do so more than once), so a major Mediterranean power could safely ignore such a border and focus their troops elsewhere. I do think the barbarians need a bit of help, though. My game is by now an exercise in seeing if there's a reason that Swedish province is on the map - can I colonize it by the end of the game? :D I'm pretty sure the answer is an easy 'yes' since central Poland is already Roman and it's not even 600 AUC yet. I really shouldn't be able to do that... I haven't looked into this, but hopefully there's something one can do with static modifiers and/or events to make barbarian power recover a bit quicker, and in particular to have them strongly retard province civilization. Provinces 'barbarous' enough to spawn a few hordes over the years should have close to zero civilization. And if possible this could be coupled with a new colonization requirement. In addition to pop 10, civ 50 in a neighboring province, the target province could need maybe civ 30 or so (bearing in mind my idea above about barbarian power draining civ). Also note that my argument is purely game mechanics, as far as I'm aware the ancient Germans weren't all that much less 'civilized' than their neighbors in Gaul. :)

I am wondering (sorry for clogging up your thread), but could I get instructions for installation on Vista. I just would like to know what to do so I don't screw anything up (I get the idea of moving/deleting the map textures. I am not sure that I know everything I should look out for/do).
Hopefully I am asking in the right place on this forum, and if not I apologize.

I hadn't actually dug into the regency events file before. I like 4804, but I think having it only affect "arbitrary" underage kings is way too limiting. That trait should just be a modifier to mtth, IMHO. Removing it from the triggers might require rebalancing the mtth, as well.

In my game 4800 and 4801 happened several times and were utterly meaningless. Is there a sensible way to scale events to country size? As written those are probably OK for a regency in one of the Greek OPMs. As the Roman Empire, not so much. Treasury was over 8000 by then, so 25 here or there is irrelevant. Likewise character wealth for the major families, including the newly founded Imperial dynasty, was well over 10000 (may have been in the 20-30K range, I don't recall). So losing 500 character wealth was also completely meaningless. Not sure if Epigoni made it 500 or if I bumped it up by a factor of ten myself - still needs another factor of ten increase I think.

For 4802, if I read it correctly that requires the underage king to be horrendously unpopular (popularity < 10!) and of a family with almost impossibly low prestige (< 50, basically fresh out of the random family generator). I suppose it's possible for such regencies to occur sometimes, but only very rarely. Or maybe I misunderstood something. Likewise 4803 requires popularity < 50, which seems plausible except that I noticed my young Emperor always got reset to popularity = 60. I have no idea what governs that or if it can be modded away somehow. I guess the idea is probably to avoid babies automatically plummeting to zero popularity because they have zero Charisma, but if possible it would be better to disable the effect of the ruler's Charisma on his popularity until he comes of age.

Re: barbarians, I like them too. I think it's a good mechanic to represent occasional random threats to the border with central Europe. If those were a bunch of little OPM tribes, they'd never have the nerve to declare war (or the ability to do so more than once), so a major Mediterranean power could safely ignore such a border and focus their troops elsewhere. I do think the barbarians need a bit of help, though. My game is by now an exercise in seeing if there's a reason that Swedish province is on the map - can I colonize it by the end of the game? :D I'm pretty sure the answer is an easy 'yes' since central Poland is already Roman and it's not even 600 AUC yet. I really shouldn't be able to do that... I haven't looked into this, but hopefully there's something one can do with static modifiers and/or events to make barbarian power recover a bit quicker, and in particular to have them strongly retard province civilization. Provinces 'barbarous' enough to spawn a few hordes over the years should have close to zero civilization. And if possible this could be coupled with a new colonization requirement. In addition to pop 10, civ 50 in a neighboring province, the target province could need maybe civ 30 or so (bearing in mind my idea above about barbarian power draining civ). Also note that my argument is purely game mechanics, as far as I'm aware the ancient Germans weren't all that much less 'civilized' than their neighbors in Gaul. :)

Events 4800 and 4801, I can replicate these events easily and have them apply to larger and larger treasuries. Say

50 to 100 - lose 25
100 to 250 - lose 75
250 to 500 - lose 200
500 to 1000 - lose 400
1000 plus - lose 800

Event 4802 and 4803, this could be difficult to handle if the game keeps resetting popularity to 60 like you said. Maybe I could remove popularity and make it more trait based. Family prestige could be upped to 250.

Event 4804, agreed this is not broad enough although I will have to cehck civilw ar events and see if it is already dealt with there.

Barbarians there should be an event in Epigoni which kicks in and destroys new colonies based on where they are. Also I agree that later in the game the threat should rise. This could be done on the borders of the map. There are already some events there for this and they could be adjusted.

I am wondering (sorry for clogging up your thread), but could I get instructions for installation on Vista. I just would like to know what to do so I don't screw anything up (I get the idea of moving/deleting the map textures. I am not sure that I know everything I should look out for/do).
Hopefully I am asking in the right place on this forum, and if not I apologize.

ET, I just made a new thread for this: here

Barbarians there should be an event in Epigoni which kicks in and destroys new colonies based on where they are. Also I agree that later in the game the threat should rise. This could be done on the borders of the map. There are already some events there for this and they could be adjusted.

That event made my Seleucid game several months ago very interesting. Capital population dropping to around 8 at one point due to all the pop I had to send out to keep the Caucasus colonies going. :p I haven't had any trouble since I read the event file to understand what was going on. I just keep a decent army under the local governor, and build every building I can as fast as possible, and the events (almost) never fire. I don't remember regional factors on that event, but it's been a while...

Your map edge events do make life difficult sometimes! Haven't seen them yet with Rome since I just reached the edge in the Ukraine, but I fully expect trouble there from time to time. As the Seleucids I lost Babylon several times because events gave it barbarian pops, and either I didn't notice or in some cases was too busy to station an army there to beat them down when they revolted. For some reason the same event on the Parthian map edge was never as painful.

Perhaps those map edge events can be expanded to also apply to provinces in the Germanias and Sarmatia if the owner has a state culture that isn't native to those regions. So Rome or Macedon would often get barbarian trouble in any trans-Danube provinces they colonize; not sure whether Gauls should be penalized for crossing the Rhine or not (leaning towards "not").

Just taking a break. Should be back onto it in a month. :)

Hello Hadradi. I am writing back after a while. I see lots of change on this mod but nothing has touched the organisation addition or better historical representation of illyrian provinces and their civilisation. lets not forget their number of cities and population latter on became the :granary" in term of soldiers for the whole roman empire.

Hi Agim,

I remember your posts from about a year back. A lot of work has been done on the Illyrian tribes at the start and some more since I last heard from you. Everything I have done is in accordance with the English language sources that I can find. The only ones that I havent plundered for information yet are Hammonds various works.

I do have plans for more map modding in this region so stay tuned.